Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-23-2019, 01:26 PM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,452 Times in 1,412 Posts
Default Cleaning the roof of a farm machine shed

Advertise Here

I have a 40 x 72 steel machine shed on my farm. The roof has accumulated a coating of dirt/dust, that the rain doesn't seem to wash off. Turning the white sheet steel into a sort of off-white color.

I would like to know if pressure washing will remove this grime. It doesn't wash off with ordinary rain. I've got a smaller building (a two car garage) with the same kind of roof. I got the grime off, but had to scrub with a long car wash brush to do it. But obviously that wouldn't be convenient for a much larger roof on this machine shed.

Thanks for any advice!
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,882 Times in 10,514 Posts

It might but it sure would be dangerous up on the wet steel roof trying to do it.

I have a problem with buildup of cedar needles on my buildings that in the past I climbed up and broomed off each year. But this year I noticed that I am getting too dang old to be walking around on a sloped roof especially a metal one. Too bad because as the needles rot and turn to soil they can deteriorate the surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,233 Times in 428 Posts

Pressure washer should do the trick. Id start by using some siding wash designed to kill mold.. spray it down good.. let it sit for 10-15 minutes... then pressure wash it off. This will help prevent the mold and such from returning.

If you have a way of doing the work from a piece of equipment instead of on the metal roof itself, you'd be better off safety wise. Metal roof and water is no fun to work on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr4btTahoe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 10:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,273 Times in 692 Posts

Let it dry and use a leaf blower first. Then pressure wash clean. White vinegar can kill mildew and algee with out harming alot of other things.