Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,095 Times in 320 Posts
Default Ruger LCP fail to eject.

Advertise Here

So, after shooting my daughters LCP, I was unexpectedly impressed with it. Put 100 rounds through it with no problems. So, I went and got one at the local Academy Sports for 199.00.

They had all kinds of ammo, so I bought one box of Winchester white box for 14.95 and a box of some Agulla ammo that was all of 12 dollars a box. I tried it out and the new gun shot the whole box of Winchester with zero fails, but three fail to ejects with the Agulla stuff. Took the gun home and cleaned it and am ready to go out again, but I am Leary of the Agulla stuff now.

When it jammed, the fired case was laying in the breach keeping the slide from going forward and picking up a new round. It held the slide back and when I tilted the gun and shook out the empty round, the slide went forward and loads a fresh round with no problem. It was like the Sgulla stuff didn't have the energy to throw the slide all the way back. Like Weak charge?

Anyone had problems with the Agulla?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,354 Times in 20,074 Posts

I believe that is Mexican quality .

Aguila = Eagle in spanish

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...la-ammunition/

just saw that they sell a short 12 gauge shell. Never saw those before.
If they are reliable it might be a good defense round for women to use that can't take the full recoil of a high brass 12 ga.
Also I guess you can fit more shells in the magazine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl51 View Post
So, after shooting my daughters LCP, I was unexpectedly impressed with it. Put 100 rounds through it with no problems. So, I went and got one at the local Academy Sports for 199.00.

They had all kinds of ammo, so I bought one box of Winchester white box for 14.95 and a box of some Agulla ammo that was all of 12 dollars a box. I tried it out and the new gun shot the whole box of Winchester with zero fails, but three fail to ejects with the Agulla stuff. Took the gun home and cleaned it and am ready to go out again, but I am Leary of the Agulla stuff now.

When it jammed, the fired case was laying in the breach keeping the slide from going forward and picking up a new round. It held the slide back and when I tilted the gun and shook out the empty round, the slide went forward and loads a fresh round with no problem. It was like the Sgulla stuff didn't have the energy to throw the slide all the way back. Like Weak charge?
You're correct that underpowered ammo can cause the malfunction you're describing. Make sure your chamber is clean and dry. You should put a few more boxes through the gun. If it works 100% with the Winchester, then it's likely the Aguila was the problem.

Oh, and make sure to fire at least 100 rounds of whatever you plan on using for self defense. Some of the hollow point loads in .380 can be problematic, especially in smaller guns like the LCP. Many of them don't work particularity well for their purpose either. At least ball penetrates sufficiently, where some HP's loads don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl51 View Post
Anyone had problems with the Agulla?
Yes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,676 Posts

Neither my two LCPs or my SIG P230s would run Aguila FMJ, but old WW2 1934 Beretta would run it. Velocity was about 50 fps less than Euro-CIP ammo. I bought real Made In Italy Fiocchi 95-grain FMJ for practice and carry Remington 102-grain Golden Sabre Ultimate Defense in all of my .380s. Both of these ammos run 100%. The Fiocchi brass is good to reload too. I cast 120-grain flatnosed bullets from Accurate mold 35-120H and load with 2.5 grains of Bullseye.

I should add that both of my LCPs are the original model, and not the LCPII. I don't know what changes may have taken place in current models since mine were produced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36-125Tsolid2pt5Bullseye.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	290710   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCP7yds102RemGS.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	290712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rem102grainUltDefLCP.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	290714   Click image for larger version

Name:	380 4of4.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	290716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accurate35-122HP.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	290718   Click image for larger version

Name:	35-122T_hp_expaned_bullet_side_view.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	290720  

The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Neither my two LCPs or my SIG P230s would run Aguila FMJ, but old WW2 1934 Beretta would run it. Velocity was about 50 fps less than Euro-CIP ammo. I bought real Made In Italy Fiocchi 95-grain FMJ for practice and carry Remington 102-grain Golden Sabre Ultimate Defense in all of my .380s. Both of these ammos run 100%. The Fiocchi brass is good to reload too. I cast 120-grain flatnosed bullets from Accurate mold 35-120H and load with 2.5 grains of Bullseye.
Interesting what you say aobu the velocity. The rounds that failed to eject were like the slide had not been shoved back enough. And, while the LCP acts 'snappy' in recoil, the second box of ammo that I fired that day which was the Agulla, didn't feel as 'snappy' as the U.S. made ammo. I'm going out again with some Remington and a box of Federal FMJ ammo to see what happens. I'm hoping that this little gun is as reliable as the one our daughter has, as I do want to move up from the little North American Arms .22 revolver I usually carry. I tried the S&W air weight J frame, but found it too hard on my arthritis in my hands. The little Rugged .380 doesn't bother me near as much, and I can go through a full box with no problem. I put the Hogue slip on rubber grip sleeve on it before I ever shot it.

I'm hoping the reliability problem is Agulla ammo related.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,327 Times in 9,633 Posts

Sounds like the extractor lost its grip on the case. You might measure the case rim dia of the two ammo types.
Possible the case dimentions of the aquila is simply wrong.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I believe that is Mexican quality .

Aguila = Eagle in spanish

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...la-ammunition/

just saw that they sell a short 12 gauge shell. Never saw those before.
If they are reliable it might be a good defense round for women to use that can't take the full recoil of a high brass 12 ga.
Also I guess you can fit more shells in the magazine.

870ís will function as is with them.
Mossbergs need a little spacer for them to work, they are plastic and are under $10 iirc. Friction fit so you can pop them out if you want to use regular shells.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,354 Times in 20,074 Posts

Yes, looked it up and they jam I guess.

And power only equiv to a .410

Old 08-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Yes, looked it up and they jam I guess.

12 Gauge Mini Shells Warning - YouTube
https://opsolmini-clip.com/
Old 08-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Target Shooter

Okay, it's been another two range sessions, and with boxes of Remington, Blazer, and white box Winchester it's been 100% reliable. No hiccups, fail to eject, fail to feeds. I guess I'll never buy the 11.95 Aguila ammo again. With U.S. ammo its a reliable little beast. Not a pleasant gun to shot, but I didn't buy it as a range/plinking gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbl51 For This Useful Post: