How many battle rifles are enough? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Learning

Thanked 6,561 Times in 3,084 Posts

Advertise Here

I would say enough AR-15's for everyone in your family. Of course, if some of the family members that are coming over already have them then that reduces the number you "need."

As far as other platforms...I'd say that you would need a minimum of 2 just in case 1 breaks. I know I'm selling my PTR91 with 110 mags because I've never shot it and I don't plan on getting it a companion. M1a's...have 2, AK'47 only 1 at the moment because I traded 1 away. Still in the market for another 1 of those. That's probably what the funds from selling the PTR91 will go.

Also have a Sig 551a1 for sale that should net me enough money to buy a very nice ak plus something else.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,023 Times in 616 Posts

If i could afford it, I would have 5 ak's. Instead I have a variety of odds and ends. I often buy what I can get cheap. SKS and a Mosin before they skyrocketed. Used guns... Mostly bolts but was able to get an AK 90 and few others cheap. May not be perfect, but just about everything I own is easily worth twice what I paid. Need to enjoy today while prepping for tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicktide For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,441 Times in 3,677 Posts

If one is looking at getting multiple rifles, say as a hedge against an uncertain future. It might be wise to spread your selection out a bit and not put all your eggs in one basket so to speak. A couple of rifles in each of the big three semi auto rifle calibers, 7.62, 5.56/.223/.308 would be a good start. YMMV
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,015 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How many AR-15s, AK47s, FALs... are enough?

The title of the thread is battle rifles. Lets skip the semantics and splitting hairs and group all semi-automatic medium and large rifle calibers together. If it was designed for a military role since the 1940s, how many are enough?

The issue is, how many semi-automatic rifles are enough as compared to hunting rifles?

I would like to have another 308 rifle in bolt action. Then again, I would like to have another AR-15. we come to a point when we have to ask how many are enough?

Personally, I am leaning towards at 4 - 5 AR-15s. That is a nice sized number without being overly burdensome. If someone has been prepping for 10, 15, 20+ years, it would not be out of the question to collect several AR-15 rifles.

Maybe I have answered my own question with 4 - 5 AR rifles, then move onto something else?

However, perhaps someone may want to go with the FAL, PTR-91, AK-47, AK-74... or something besides the AR? Rather than an AR and 223 / 5.56mm, maybe go with a FAL or PTR-91 that is well suited for defense and hunting medium sized game.

Enough of the ranting. Someone post their thoughts on the idea?
Thatís a tough question, honestly.

How many of anything is enough? What someone can afford, and what they want. Simplistically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Get off my lawn

I'm disappointed not a single person has answered correctly.

The correct number is 42.

/s

In all seriousness like the previous posters have mentioned it's too conflated of a topic to nail down to a single number given all the variables. With all situations/needs/wants being different for individuals its hard to say. My 2 cents go towards what logically covers the most bases for me/mine.

Thoughts for this:

How many people do I need/want to arm?
How many spares parts/rifles do I need to do so?
What if someone in my MAG shows up on my doorstep with nothing?
What if I show up on someones doorstep with nothing? (preposition supplies)
Do I have a dedicated training rifle and a "go time" rifle or does one rifle do both?
Having a finite amount of money means every gun purchase is money not put into other preps. Is 10 AR-15's and a months worth a food as good as 2 AR-15's and 6 months food?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods406 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 PM
Krieg Hundchen

For those who think they need only one, keep something in mind: while there is a semblance of law, any firearm you use in a shooting will be tied up as evidence in a LE evidence room until you are cleared. If you don’t have more than one, you will be defenseless.

Get more than one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIG-em For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,170 Times in 5,705 Posts

I you have guns that tend to go through parts, get the parts.
If you have a team that tends to panic fire, get more ammo. or no mag and let them load one at a time manually.

if they are still a careless shot give them a muzzle loader.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG-em View Post
For those who think they need only one, keep something in mind: while there is a semblance of law, any firearm you use in a shooting will be tied up as evidence in a LE evidence room until you are cleared. If you donít have more than one, you will be defenseless.

Get more than one.
ummm if you are involved in a shooting they are not going to let you go home and get more guns until you are adjudicated either.
The Following User Says Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 02:53 AM
Prepared

How many can you carry and effectively maneuver with for an extended period of time? Thats how many you need.

But you can purchase as many are you hear desires and wallet allows.
The Following User Says Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 05:08 PM
Prepared

For normal peaceful times I figure one battle rifle per capable shooter that live in the household.

For those uncertain times such as SHTF I want all of those that live in the household that are capable of shooting to have a battle rifle. And then I want each person we intend to invite that is capable of shooting to have one too. And a handful of magazines for each gun and ammo to fill the mags.

I figure I have that now.

In a perfect world I would have a lot more ammunition and that is what I'm currently working on.

To me surviving the SHTF is a numbers game. Your group can't be too small but the logistics are more difficult once you add a bunch of people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 06:06 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,737 Times in 709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
I would say enough AR-15's for everyone in your family. Of course, if some of the family members that are coming over already have them then that reduces the number you "need."

As far as other platforms...I'd say that you would need a minimum of 2 just in case 1 breaks. I know I'm selling my PTR91 with 110 mags because I've never shot it and I don't plan on getting it a companion. M1a's...have 2, AK'47 only 1 at the moment because I traded 1 away. Still in the market for another 1 of those. That's probably what the funds from selling the PTR91 will go.

Also have a Sig 551a1 for sale that should net me enough money to buy a very nice ak plus something else.
Why not keep the 551A1?
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SLOW View Post
The Illinois Cabela's store are filled with nice used battle rifles.Everyone is trading them in before the state ban. I have seen fal,hk,ak47,m1a,m1 etc at good prices.I was in town for a visit.People are giving them up. I have no comment on the rifles I may own.

You should make plans to go fishing and camping this labor Day weekend...and be very careful that you don't have a boating accident. Safety first!
The Following User Says Thank You to pop401k For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Krieg Hundchen

.[/quote]

ummm if you are involved in a shooting they are not going to let you go home and get more guns until you are adjudicated either.[/QUOTE]

You are incorrect if you assume this is the case for all, or even most jurisdictions. Maybe if you live in Chicago. If you life in a free, stand your ground case you will be fine if you are involved in a good self defence shoot. You will lose your weapon for s while, again, you need another for when you get home.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,097 Times in 1,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How many AR-15s, AK47s, FALs... are enough?

The title of the thread is battle rifles. Lets skip the semantics and splitting hairs and group all semi-automatic medium and large rifle calibers together. If it was designed for a military role since the 1940s, how many are enough?

The issue is, how many semi-automatic rifles are enough as compared to hunting rifles?

I would like to have another 308 rifle in bolt action. Then again, I would like to have another AR-15. we come to a point when we have to ask how many are enough?

Personally, I am leaning towards at 4 - 5 AR-15s. That is a nice sized number without being overly burdensome. If someone has been prepping for 10, 15, 20+ years, it would not be out of the question to collect several AR-15 rifles.

Maybe I have answered my own question with 4 - 5 AR rifles, then move onto something else?

However, perhaps someone may want to go with the FAL, PTR-91, AK-47, AK-74... or something besides the AR? Rather than an AR and 223 / 5.56mm, maybe go with a FAL or PTR-91 that is well suited for defense and hunting medium sized game.

Enough of the ranting. Someone post their thoughts on the idea?
The number of firearms one should have is the same as how much tax the rich should pay - more.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG-em View Post
ummm if you are involved in a shooting they are not going to let you go home and get more guns until you are adjudicated either.[/QUOTE]

You are incorrect if you assume this is the case for all, or even most jurisdictions. Maybe if you live in Chicago. If you life in a free, stand your ground case you will be fine if you are involved in a good self defense shoot. You will lose your weapon for s while, again, you need another for when you get home.[/QUOTE]

And how long do you suppose it will take the DA to decide if it was justified/SD? and what do you supposed is gonna happen in that period of uncertainty? You think that are gonna say you killed someone so your either a murderer of its SD thats 2 possible outcomes so 50/50. do you think a reasonable prudent person is going to just let you willy nilly go home to the rest of your firearms? or do you think they are going to either keep you in custody or restrict your access to those firearms until they are more certain? There are any number of facts or circumstances to be considered beyond you saying it was self defense.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:32 PM

That is a question that is none of your business.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 PM

The Ar's I have each have a different purpose, close range, varmint hunting, etc.

I am more interested in parts and lowers in case they are needed now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Netloss99 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,176 Times in 2,706 Posts

Depends on if your planning on fighting off invading armies or just want to be up armed on some marauders with bolt and handguns. I doubt Im going to live through enough firefights to expend all my ammo and burn out my battle rifles .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 12:55 PM

I once read a sign that read: if you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough. I have several different types of rifles for different uses. A minimum of 2 each. I also have more than enough ammo to burn out the barrels of 2 rifles.
The Following User Says Thank You to pyramid62 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,742 Times in 2,386 Posts

I dont think you can have too many. Always at least one more. I'd say it is at least good to have 1 for every family member.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post: