Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,794 Times in 2,109 Posts

Advertise Here

I have seen traffic move surprisingly fast in nyc. Saw a taxi with all four tires off the ground. Because of poor streets i would not add any type of fairing.
Gas cans in trunk are very bad idea. With just a fabric back seat between trunk and passenger compartment there's a good chance of burning in an accident. Besides fumes anytime.
At 10 years old I'd save my money for major maintenance or a new vehicle.
If theft and car prowls are an issue then an ordinary looking non special car might be an advantage.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,326 Posts

If you leave early you don't need anything special, its just a drive in the country.
If you wait till the SHTF, everybody in NCY is trying to get out, which bridge or tunnel would you be using?
Old 08-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,704 Posts

A second hardwired battery in your trunk with an inverter.

If your spare tire is a donut,get a cheap rim and mount a used tire on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Having ANYthing of value visible on or in your vehicle wll likely be stolen from you, especially after a calamity. What doesn't fit clandestinely in the vehicle, I would store in a cache outside of the NYC zombie zone.

The morally enlightened ones in areas like NYC, Philly etc will ripoff anything of perceived value.

I used to be amazed that people would actually put a sign on their cars that read, "no radio in car".

I would think they should print them in several languages, but that's just me.
Hey wait a minute. Did I see one with diapers? Where is it parked? Those are not cheap!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 01:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,696 Times in 791 Posts

I'd definitely go with a dual battery system. There might even be room under the hood to install another one. Instead of trying to cram a ton of stuff into the vehicle, maybe get a light trailer hitch and buy a small 4'X8' trailer like the foldable ones that Harbor Freight sells. When it comes time to bug out, you can load up the trailer and take off. If you have a garage, you can keep the trailer loaded and ready to go. If not you can load it with extra gas cans, small generator, tent, stove, survival food, clothing, etc. when the time comes.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 01:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,750 Times in 8,345 Posts

Reversing lights are pretty important.

Blackout place goes dark and you are not sure what is behind your car at any given point.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:49 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,361 Times in 20,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
I'd definitely go with a dual battery system. There might even be room under the hood to install another one. Instead of trying to cram a ton of stuff into the vehicle, maybe get a light trailer hitch and buy a small 4'X8' trailer like the foldable ones that Harbor Freight sells. When it comes time to bug out, you can load up the trailer and take off. If you have a garage, you can keep the trailer loaded and ready to go. If not you can load it with extra gas cans, small generator, tent, stove, survival food, clothing, etc. when the time comes.
I've been assuming since he is in NYC that there is no room for a trailer, but perhaps there is.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:38 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,002 Times in 7,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfimirat View Post
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and I'm from NYC. I am thinking about putting together a list of DIY modifications I can use to make my commuter more bug out ready. Keep in mind that U have a 2006 Camry so some things aren't going to work. Oh, and I live in Manhattan so there are some definite constraint there too.

One thing that comes immediately to mind are front splitters and side skirts for increasing MPG. Anyone have any experience with these? I will keep adding to the list as it goes but I appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Be well!

Mike
I'll give you the best idea.

Bug out now. Before the crisis, hoards, zombies, taxes, gangs, flooding streets, or locusts...

Problem solved.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 06:19 AM
VIP Member

To modify your vehicle, you could add some 5/16 eye bolts, to make attachment points, so you can tie things onto the outside of your vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,412 Times in 445 Posts

Mike...you are in a tough spot....because if you are bugging out by car so is half the island. I dont think I need to explain the traffic situation where you are and what happened after 9-11 when you could not drive off the island.

If you are really serious about being prepared in this way....you should consider a small storage unit as far outside of the city as you can reasonably get to. This would have your preps and in a pinch might provide you shelter for a few days.

There are tons of videos on youtube on how to extend gas mileage putting air dams on your car isn't one of them.

All vehicles have an optimum driving speed where you get the best gas mileage in fact older Mercedes vehicles used to have lines painted on the speedometer that would show you that.

Here are some better suggestions for you.
1. Ethanol Free Gasoline will give you a significant boost in fuel economy. If you can....store at least one fill up if that gas (properly)/
2. Vehicle weight......impact from 100 lbs increase / decrease in weight is huge. Think about how to best load a vehicle.
3. May sure you vehicle is tuned up and running 100%. You would be shock at how many cars will break down while idling 6 hours in traffic.
4. Don't run your A/c
5. DOnt run your 6000 watt stereo
6. Keep the windows cracked not rolled down at high speeds.
7. Dont drive over 50 MPH.

HK
The Following User Says Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
Mike...you are in a tough spot....because if you are bugging out by car so is half the island. I dont think I need to explain the traffic situation where you are and what happened after 9-11 when you could not drive off the island.

If you are really serious about being prepared in this way....you should consider a small storage unit as far outside of the city as you can reasonably get to. This would have your preps and in a pinch might provide you shelter for a few days.

There are tons of videos on youtube on how to extend gas mileage putting air dams on your car isn't one of them.

All vehicles have an optimum driving speed where you get the best gas mileage in fact older Mercedes vehicles used to have lines painted on the speedometer that would show you that.

Here are some better suggestions for you.
1. Ethanol Free Gasoline will give you a significant boost in fuel economy. If you can....store at least one fill up if that gas (properly)/
2. Vehicle weight......impact from 100 lbs increase / decrease in weight is huge. Think about how to best load a vehicle.
3. May sure you vehicle is tuned up and running 100%. You would be shock at how many cars will break down while idling 6 hours in traffic.
4. Don't run your A/c
5. DOnt run your 6000 watt stereo
6. Keep the windows cracked not rolled down at high speeds.
7. Dont drive over 50 MPH.

HK
Also:
Keep your tires inflated properly.
Use pure synthetic oil.
Keep your MAF sensor clean.
Maintain the vehicle in tip top shape.
You might get a tuner chip for the car that has an economy mode.
Make sure the thermostat is not overcooling the engine.
Some people might advocate shutting the engine down when stopped for more than a minute.
Drive gently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 AM

I’d put a bicycle in the trunk because in a survival situation, you won’t be driving anywhere. Roads will likely be blocked by bumper to bumper traffic, broken down vehicles, or water.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,473 Times in 890 Posts

Flamethrowers....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,071 Posts

What is your planned exit route? How many bridges, and tunnels do you have to cross to get out?

Are you actually in New York? If so there are only a dozen or so bridges that will allow you to get inland, or go 100+ miles north to get to hopefully less crowded bridges.

Although if a couple million people all try to leave at once on those few bridges every single road will become a parking lot. I went to see the solar eclipse and within 50 miles of the line of totality every single back road was a traffic jam anywhere it crossed any sort of highway. The highways were a traffic jam for about 100 miles then extremely heavy bumper to bumper slow traffic that became an hours long traffic jam anywhere something disrupted the flow of traffic for 380 miles.

I don't know that there is a reasonable way to plan to get out of a city like yours. Other than to have lots of money to have a hardened place in the city, have a private helicopter, or to move out of the city.

How prepped are you? Do you have any amount of food and water and a way to cook stored? That may be more likely to help you than your car if the entire city is total gridlock.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Golfer

Consider a trailer and a boat to get across the Hudson river, a boat big enough to carry you and a motorbike of some kind. Once in New Jersey, the bike will be able to weave through gridlock and be fast enough to outrun desperate people wanting to bring you down.
Mods can include pannier for carrying BOB and switching the throttle to the left side so you can use your weapon with your right.
putts
Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Consider a trailer and a boat to get across the Hudson river, a boat big enough to carry you and a motorbike of some kind. Once in New Jersey, the bike will be able to weave through gridlock and be fast enough to outrun desperate people wanting to bring you down.
Mods can include pannier for carrying BOB and switching the throttle to the left side so you can use your weapon with your right.
putts
I think he has a couple kids and a wife unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Quote:
No, I don't sell any of those things. I am asking for things I can do to my 10 year old car. I've lurked here for awhile but the more I think about it, the more I want to be sure I can make it off the island and get far enough Upstate before she dies. I assume there won't be access to gas so I could probably make it to Binghamton before she dies. I have family with land about an hour and a half south of Buffalo. SO, maybe the first thing to do would be to carry a full gas can although I'm not sure how good of an idea that is when I park on the street here.
Best thing you can do is keep that vehicle in good repair, stock it with whatever you will need , and find someone trustworthy well outside the city to store and look after it (drive monthly, keep topped off) and either take an Uber/Lyft, or hoof it out on foot depending on the traffic. If you get stuck in traffic, you will be burning fuel and waiting in lines at gas pumps.

You might be better off joining an equestrian club in the city and "reserving" a horse for your getaway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I think he has a couple kids and a wife unit.
If he were Vietnamese he could get the entire family and belongings on a Honda 90.
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Golfer

Even better! make that a BOB and 4 shotguns
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vietnam family.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	290678  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,120 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Oh, and I live in Manhattan so there are some definite constraint there too.

One thing that comes immediately to mind are front splitters and side skirts for increasing MPG. Anyone have any experience with these? I will keep adding to the list as it goes but I appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Be well!

Mike
If you ever 'need' to get out of there fast...