Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-17-2019, 01:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,104 Posts
Default Change your underwear

Advertise Here

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/othe...TU74?ocid=AMZN

I don't buy this. So how often are people bathing? They then put on old underwear?
I do have underwear over a year old, i generally buy a new supply once a year or so.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,234 Times in 6,773 Posts

I think the people that buy Tommy John underwear and did the survey are so proud of that stuff, they lose their minds and wear it too long for fear of being less than cool.

I have underwear over a year old. The idea that washing it isnít getting rid of the germs and over time they will build up is like global warming. Use big scary numbers, and make people buy your stuff.

They make soap and bleach. Use it, people. I have no fear of E. Coli in my undies.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 01:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,419 Times in 3,669 Posts

Clean shorts are happy shorts...LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 02:28 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,168 Times in 4,261 Posts

Sounds about right.

I follow the Georg Carlin principal when it comes to underwear.

As for how long I keep them....no real idea.

It's sort of a half life principle. Most become too 'holy' after a year or two....but some I think are four or five years old, while others don't make it a year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 04:53 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,192 Times in 20,029 Posts

Buy a washing machine with an agitator. They actually clean clothes.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 04:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,024 Posts

What stupidity, there are multiple strains of ecoli, which ones are in the wash water? I believe some strains live longer in the environment than others. Isn't the point of laundry to clean? How me much ecoli is in a load of jeans? What if you have 30 pairs of undies and only wear some of them briefly (get it?) ? How much ecoli is left on the underwear after drying in the sun or hot dryer? What about bras and t-shirts, were they checked? Stupid article. Worth a good head shake though.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Rather disturbing and humorous at the same time.

I tend to believe in not wearing underwear all the time as tight fitting cloths can cause cancer. Some observational studies have come to this conclusion. The longer one wears underwear the more likley cancer is to form.

That idea being that toxin exposure is the main theory for the cause of most cancers. The body has methods for removing toxins. One of the main ways the body removes toxins is with part of our circulation system that does not rely upon the heart Instead it relies upon body muscle movement. Tight fitting cloths such as underwear can slow down or block off the circulation that removes toxins from the body. It's just a theory based upon observational studies.

Dressed to Kill―Second Edition: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras

https://www.amazon.com/Dressed-Kill_...s=books&sr=1-1

In 1995 the first edition of Dressed to Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras revealed the disturbing results of a study that showed a notable correlation between the wearing of bras and the incidence of breast cancer. The women studied who wore bras 24 hours a day were 125 times more likely to have breast cancer compared to bra-free women.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 05:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,951 Times in 7,978 Posts

Yeah, but don't wear a bra and you are a slut and a social pariah. I remember a time back in 7th grade, I hadn't even blossomed yet, and a couple of female classmates were very critical because I wasn't wearing a bra.

Now, don't get me wrong, the SECOND I get home I fling that sucker across the room but it is required to wear it for business and shopping at least. I am not flat so it is more noticeable if I don't wear it now.

I also got rid of the aluminum based deodorant. I use the crystal now and that works very well.

Underwear? I change it daily, wash according to directions, And throw it out when it is not workable any more.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 05:36 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,192 Times in 20,029 Posts

That's quite a bold claim. 125 times the cancer rate.

makes some sense though. Moving lymph around is a good thing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 06:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,498 Times in 6,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Yeah, but don't wear a bra and you are a slut and a social pariah. I remember a time back in 7th grade, I hadn't even blossomed yet, and a couple of female classmates were very critical because I wasn't wearing a bra.
I for one aren't fazed by the lack of foundation garments anymore unless it's glaringly obvious. then I'm more inclined to think that it looks uncomfortable and sweaty.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 07:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,399 Posts

They sure didn't include me and my wife in their survey! Here in Jawja, especially in August/September, you may change your undies several times a day. Gets so hot it kills E coli on contact. I think Adrian Cronower (Robin Williams) called it "crotch pot hot"!

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 30,944 Times in 8,955 Posts

Quote:

Now, don't get me wrong, the SECOND I get home I fling that sucker across the room but it is required to wear it for business and shopping at least. I am not flat so it is more noticeable if I don't wear it now.

I also got rid of the aluminum based deodorant. I use the crystal now and that works very well.

Underwear? I change it daily, wash according to directions, And throw it out when it is not workable any more.

I quit worrying about what people think of me years ago. I have not been able to wear a bra since I gave birth to my son nearly 36 years ago. Some how or another giving birth to him kicked my body into overdrive and ever since then if I wear a bra for longer than 30 minutes I break out in these huge water blisters, some have gotten as big as a 50 cent piece and burning pain out of this world.

According to all of my drs it's a combination of Systemic Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease and the Fibromyalgia causing it. I can only wear cotton and blue jeans, no polyester, rayon, etc. I refuse to make myself miserable to make someone I don't know happy. I wouldn't even wear one for The Old Goat so i'm sure as hell not gonna wear a bra for strangers.

You take me as I am or don't bother even talking to me is how I look at it. I can still shoot a gun, stand a watch for a couple of hours anyway, can some vegetables, distract the little ones, or tell a story. You want a woman with nice boobs, look elsewhere, mine have done gone south.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Yeah, just as you mention the authors talk about the social aspects of wearing a bra. It's been awhile since I read the book but they go into detail on trying to find a happy medium.

The authors mention too that they have received quite a bit of push back against their study findings. It apparently came as a surprise to them. Not only has the clothing industry been upset with them but so have many women.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
That's quite a bold claim. 125 times the cancer rate.

makes some sense though. Moving lymph around is a good thing.
To me it highlights the importance of exercise. Some studies have found that exercise extends life. I'm guessing that could be due to helping move lymph.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Buy a washing machine with an agitator. They actually clean clothes.
And since most of my underware is white bleach gets added to washer. It is rumored bleach kills germs in addition to helping to keep the material white.

I won't say how long they were worn, but upon return to base from the field more than one pair went straight from body to trash can, or what was left of them did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,300 Times in 7,286 Posts

I change underwear daily even if I do not bathe. When I was in the field in the military because I could not bathe I did not wear underwear.

Usually my underwater begin the tear just under the elastic band. That is when I throw them away. If I cannot go more than a week changing daily I buy more. I keep a complete supply at both homes and never pack underwear when going from one to the other.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I change underwear daily even if I do not bathe. When I was in the field in the military because I could not bathe I did not wear underwear.
Chaffing on road marches and drown proofing training could have presented problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,104 Posts

You're suposed to clean your washing machine which seems kind of excessive. However dryer maintenance is important, dryer fires are one of the most common types of fire. Clean lint filters and have a good vent exhaust. Solid metal is best, im not crazy about the corrugated aluminum vent hose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,333 Times in 9,113 Posts

I usually bathe twice a week at which time I change my clothes. As for underwear, you don't have to change it if you don't wear it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,143 Times in 2,318 Posts

Why wear underwear?

I guess I do wear long underwear for about half the year in the colder weather months, but other than those I have never worn underwear. Never really seen much point in them myself add in the fact that they are uncomfortable.

I have thought about maybe trying them a couple of times as it is pretty painful when you accidentally squish a nut under your leg as you sit, underwear would work to contain them better I guess, though compared to the constant discomfort still not worth it..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post: