Corn? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Prepared

Default Corn?

Advertise Here

Our neighborhood is on the border between suburbs and rural townships and we happen to have a decent sized corn (typically corn) field which is located behind the development. Now I'm not advocating looting or anything like that but in a true SHTF situation this may become a viable resource depending on the time of year. Does anybody have information on processing corn into a storeable food stuff?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 6,978 Times in 1,075 Posts

Leave the corn kernels whole for storage. The minute you grind them up the shelf life shortens to 1-2 years.

You can make hominy with the field corn. I believe you soak it in water that has lime added to it so your body can absorb the nutrients.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,366 Times in 1,523 Posts

Cut it off the cob and pressure can it. Add a good pinch of sugar to each jar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,938 Times in 2,662 Posts

Some people think humans can't eat field corn. Hogwash. It's not great for corn-on-the-cob, but it's what all your ground corn, like for corn bread or tamales, is.

Loosen the husk leaves, pull out most of the silks, hang up in the rafters of some dry building until thoroughly dry. (you can lay them down, but don't stack them deep and go rearrange them frequently so mold doesn't start growing.)

Shell the kernels off the cobs, spread them out and let them dry some more. Pour them in barrels, preferably with a bit of diatomatious earth or something to keep the rodents out and weevils down.
It will keep several years this way. To keep longer then you want Mylar bags and O2 absorbers.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,366 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
Some people think humans can't eat field corn. Hogwash. It's not great for corn-on-the-cob, but it's what all your ground corn, like for corn bread or tamales, is.

Loosen the husk leaves, pull out most of the silks, hang up in the rafters of some dry building until thoroughly dry. (you can lay them down, but don't stack them deep and go rearrange them frequently so mold doesn't start growing.)

Shell the kernels off the cobs, spread them out and let them dry some more. Pour them in barrels, preferably with a bit of diatomatious earth or something to keep the rodents out and weevils down.
It will keep several years this way. To keep longer then you want Mylar bags and O2 absorbers.
Looks like some good info there. I have never tried it that way, but have canned it. Still have some of what we canned a few years ago and use it in soups and omlettes all the time. Actually I have to do an inventory soon to see if I will need to can more this fall, or if I'm good for another year.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:58 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
Does anybody have information on processing corn into a storeable food stuff?
A good question, because having the skills, to turn whole kernel corn into nutritious and tasty food, would be valuable in SHTF.
Freshly cooked corn tortillas are delicious!
A micro tortilla vender could do well.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,357 Times in 7,299 Posts

Blanching corn is the quickest and easiest way to take corn from the field and freeze it. It then gives you maximum variability of use. It also takes up a large amount of freezer space.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,602 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Blanching corn is the quickest and easiest way to take corn from the field and freeze it. It then gives you maximum variability of use. It also takes up a large amount of freezer space.
That's what is done with "sweet corn".

"Field corn" is usually what you see standing in the fields later in the Summer.
It's harvested after it dries.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,201 Times in 7,289 Posts

Grandparents and my dad lived on farm during depression. Grew field corn for cattle, hogs.

Picked some before it dried on the stalk, cut off cob, ate like what we now call sweet corn. They all liked it and said everyone around there ate field corn when in the milk stage.

IMO Nothing inherently inedible about field corn, tender and tasty in the milk stage.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,821 Times in 654 Posts

Field corn is mature and ready to pick when the ear turns and points down. With the ear pointing down, the husk will protect the kernel from rain so it can stay in the field a while without spoiling.

Other than that, I think BabyBlue and LindaLou nailed it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 06:16 PM

If everything has gone south and all hell has broke loose I'm not sure anyone will be planting any corn in the field......
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozarkfarmer57 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,981 Times in 19,148 Posts

OP has yet to identify the type of corn out there. Dent and sweet versions typically are processed different when you get some.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Prepared

I guess I wouldn’t know enough to ID the type of corn. Besides that could vary from year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,504 Times in 6,332 Posts

Quote:
I guess I wouldn’t know enough to ID the type of corn. Besides that could vary from year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://thinkbioenergy.com/did-you-kn...types-of-corn/
Old 08-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,821 Times in 654 Posts

Buck, when do they harvest the corn? If they harvest it in late summer/early fall after the stalks turn brown, it’s field or dent corn. If they harvest in in early summer while the stalks are still green, it’s probably sweet corn.

A very small percentage of the total US corn crop by acreage is sweet corn.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,357 Times in 7,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
That's what is done with "sweet corn".

"Field corn" is usually what you see standing in the fields later in the Summer.
It's harvested after it dries.
Oh! Then just throw it in the corn crib. The hogs will not mind.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,981 Times in 19,148 Posts

Quote:
BLD called it. You just watch the field. If they cut it all down when the the plants are green and the ears pointing up then it is sweet corn harvested at the "milk" stage. Think of fresh creamed corn to realize how they named that stage. If the field is left to brown and droop then it is dent/field corn. But they are not one kind of corn picked at different times. Dent corn is a much drier type of corn.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,071 Posts

There are lots of ways to prepare corn with various storage times. All these suggestions will work with any type of corn. It doesn't matter much if it is sweet corn or something else.

When the corn is just planted and the sprout is about 2-3 inches tall pick the entire plant, cut the roots and what is left of the seed off and toss that away. The sprout can be eaten raw, used in stir fry or if you want to preserve it pack it in salt like you would if you were making sauerkraut. It will last in an open crock for a few months that way. Or you could can it to get longer storage life.

Once the ears are a few inches long you can pick them, husk them then pack in salt or can or dry them as baby corn(like you see in again food)

After the ears are "ripe" you can harvest the ears like you would sweet corn. Cut it off the cob, the kernels can be canned, pickled, or dried.

Once the ears are dry you can harvest them and they should pretty much store as is or use BabyBlue's ideas.

Once you have the dry kernels you can grind them and make corn breads and cookies or cornmeal mush (fried or fresh) grits, parched corn and many other things.

If you have ash or lime(stone) or lye, or potash, or potassium hydroxide or washing soda you can nixtamalize it or make or homoney from the dry kernels. Once you've done that you can make tamales, tortillas , corn nuts, pozole, parched corns, grits and many many other things.

If almost your entire diet comes from corn you want to nixtamalize some it it so you get niacin. If you don't get enough niacin you can develop Pellagra.

Also, don't forget corn cob jelly. There are two types, one from the cob in milk stage and one from a dried cob.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,057 Times in 874 Posts

Nixtamalisation works well.
Here's a video that shows how to process field corn into masa then tortillas.
Pretty much the same process I use.

https://youtu.be/nKwCv9PyPyc
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,342 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
Grandparents and my dad lived on farm during depression. Grew field corn for cattle, hogs.

Picked some before it dried on the stalk, cut off cob, ate like what we now call sweet corn. They all liked it and said everyone around there ate field corn when in the milk stage.

IMO Nothing inherently inedible about field corn, tender and tasty in the milk stage.
Lol, reminds me of my Granddad - He would say of field corn, for corn on the cob or skillet fried corn, that you had to pull it from the stalk then run like HE double hockey sticks for the kitchen before it got too tough to eat.
It will go from sweet and delicious to starchy and tough in a seeming blink of an eye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post: