Things we throw away now... useful in SHTF - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-13-2019, 12:39 AM
SoJer

Thanked 2,717 Times in 902 Posts

Advertise Here

..I think it's more of a 'mindset' / what you 'see' in things, than necessarily 'what items are "good" for repurposing vs others' / the things themselves... , ie:

..Water jug "camp sink", with 'base-turned-to dust cover / soap dish'... Credit: my Son..

..Or, ie: 'garbage empty spice jar'? ..Or - 'Toothpick shaker' / dispenser...

..torn / worn cargo-pocket good for nothing but the wastebasket? ..Or - Mini IFAK-roll (..to put in yer cargo pocket

..etc, etc, etc..

..or.. Maybe it's, in fact, how closely linked you are to MacGuyver's blood line? jk, but.. Indeed, 'one Man's trash is another Man's treasure'.. So true. (..IF you have the right mindset..

jd

PS - Yes, 3 Cheers for the Almighty 'heavy-duty bread tie'.. ..Just did an electronics repair (temp, onsite..) with one last month.. Saved the day...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 03:35 PM

Default Random Useful Items

I think there are many useful items that we easily overlook due to modern conveniences. I think the general public thinks it won't happen - except for in the movies - and then it does happen. Just look at the damage done in the Bahamas and the Florida panhandle area as a result of Category 5 hurricanes - and people had some time to prepare for the aftermath of that (granted, there are some things you can't fully prepare for).

I think one of the things is using technology to our advantage in the sense that we research all we can and get it in a hard copy format that we can use should power and internet not be an option in some kind of situation.

Beyond this, I think we can best use our time to gain skills that have gone out of vogue because technology can do them better/faster or whatever. I think having skills in addition to the various items that could be used in various survival ways will help in bartering and/or joining groups so you can provide something useful.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
Old 09-15-2019, 08:06 PM

Thanked 1,370 Times in 643 Posts

Something I think might end up being one of the big themes of TEOW is bicycles. At least for a while.

If it's a point when a lot of people are still alive, but a lot of stuff is really wrecked--- basically, no gasoline or auto repairs for most people--- then it might be important to get stuff done on a bike. Might be one of the ways to greatly increase your chances of getting safely from point A to point B, besides giving you more time, and putting more in your reach.

In that case, having saved up a lot of those garage sale bikes might be a boon. Might effect your fate a lot.

A lot of people might think it's a weird answer, and a lot of people might not believe it, but... I believe it! Reminds me of a lot of things I've read and heard before, too.

Imagine having only spent $100 to get ten garage sale bikes for $10 each. But then being able to give those bikes to ten households you're allied with after a SHTF event. Seems possibly like a real lever to magnify your effect on things a lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,053 Times in 3,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju72782 View Post
Newbie here, though I've been lurking for about a year or so. I'll probably rarely chime in much less start a new topic, but here it goes. This may have already been discussed but...

I watch little tv but recently re-watched The Book of Eli and The Road. In the first, a girl asks what things were like before SHTF and I loved this quote:

"People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now."

In that particular movie, that one quote really got me thinking. You see them bartering with little wet wipe packs (as if that wouldn't be dried out by then but...).

What items do we throw away now (and consider "disposable") that you think would be very useful in a SHTF scenario?

For example... One of the items I save that doesn't take up much room are twist-ties, especially the thicker and longer ones that come in toy packaging. I use them a lot around the holidays for hanging things and I also use them a lot when we go camping (hanging things in the tent).
If you know a teen that works at a fast food place, you might be able to score tons of twistie ties. I remember when I worked at one in my teens, and every case of trash bags came with a huge roll of twistie ties, which we threw away because we didn't use them. Also, though it's been 20 years since I worked there and maybe it's changed, but you could get all the pickle buckets you wanted from Burger King.

If wet wipes (or clorox wipes, etc.) dry out, just add some water and let it sit for a bit.

Plastic containers, particularly juice containers, have numerous uses, and juice containers tend to be much thicker. The large ones that peanuts come in are handy for storing things. The thinner, tall circular ones are good for holding regular sized canning lids.

I don't have chickens anymore, but I always saved the feedbags. I often use them when I have broken glass or rusty metal for the trash.

Those of you who mentioned bicycles... don't forget about a few manual air pumps! Perhaps a few spare rubber tires.

I often save the screws from something I'm throwing out.

And definitely books! A lot of people have them as e-books, and while that's better than nothing, it isn't going to do much if the power is out. Sure, maybe you have it on a portable device with a solar charger, but eventually that may break (especially since it's probably getting a lot of use), plus you probably wouldn't want to loan it out. I have 3 or 4 libraries in my area that do annual book sales, and they usually have a bag sale at the end - $3 for as many books as you can fit in a bag. I've picked up a lot of good books that way. If you live by a large college, you can pick up a lot of academic books at the end of the year if you don't mind a little dumpster diving. Sometimes you can even make a profit reselling some!

Not quite the same, but a lot of stuff we throw away could be composted. 99.9% of all the paper in my house is shredded and added to the compost piles, as well as cardboard, and nearly anything else I can get my hands on. People I know will give me bags of shredded paper, their cardboard, etc. It makes for some very nice compost piles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 AM

I found that yogurt containers (the larger ones 16fl oz. etc..) were good for use as planters. Bunch of videos on using pop bottles for growing seed. Good Glass bottles/jars for mixing chemicals. PET containers etc.. various plastics can be reshaped fairly easy with sufficient heat.

Most everything can be repurposed.

My current experiment is converting an old car muffler the big part not the pipe alone into a small camp stove. Old metal cans/tins can be turned into campstoves. Clay mudearth can be used.. the old "forgotten useful technology stuff series .. lots of 3rd world technology tricks are really useful for use of waste product.

You know for electronics all the garbage electronics are a store house waiting to be used with use of a solder/heat gun... basic electronics can go a long way.. power adapters stemp downs and stepups can be useful... old batteries can be rejuvinated or repurposed.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,169 Times in 4,159 Posts

Here in the UK, one brand of yogurt does a bucket version with a handle and lid. I'm always using them to put broken china into for the rubbish bin.

Things like apple cores and fruit seeds we chuck away, but they will grow if you know how. They may not be like the original, but they are still food.

Toilet rolls, cardboard, all forms of paper can be mashed up to make new sheets etc.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:53 AM

If you are going to plant a tree then plant something that will produce food. Apples, cherries, various nuts are all common and easy to grow depending on your climate.

Another factor for collecting books is they act as an insulation tool if they are near against a wall.