Water Purification Options - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,906 Times in 19,133 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
What really confuses me is how Monolithic gets to the gallonage rating you shared. Is it 20kgal per dome filter, or 10kgal each across the "two kits" you stipulated? Doulton gives the Super Sterasyl candles a useful life of only 535 gallons each, which I presume the limiting factor there is the GAC inside. The manual for the Katadyn carbon filter says to replace the GAC every 50 gallons. At that point, it's pretty much a no-contest between the Monolothic and basically everything else mentioned in this thread. Does Monolithic do their toxin absorption matrix differently to get to their much higher rating? All this time, I was planning on needing to buy a 5 gallon bucket of 12x30 mesh GAC...
No, I was giving you rating numbers for 2 kits and 6 replacement domes combined.

Each dome is good for about 2000 gallons. By judicious sourcing of raw water more like 2500. So a total of 8 domes is 20K gallons.

I'm not promising miracle numbers here. When I say 20K gallons I'm including all the replacement domes and some effort on your part to chose a decent raw water source.

You can keep adding 4 to 5 thousand more gallons surety to the whole pack kit by adding 2 more domes at another $34 per dome. I just chose 2 kits and 3 replacement domes each to get to a useful total gallon round number and round cost number for comparison's sake. I'd say the volume made in the inner bucket in the pack might let you haul over a dozen dome filters if you wanted more gallons.

Of course the pack starts gaining weight and is already bulky. Bulky and heavy means your choice of designated carrier shrinks. Seems wiser to choose someone who can't carry much weight anyway. They likely had part of their personal load passed around anyway. Having one of your better haulers carry the filter pack means a lot of weight they can't carry.

Better to pick the right kind of hauler for this filter pack. It is bulky, so no shorties or real youths. A full height person with low carry strength would be perfect. Someone like an awkward teen gal who just shot up but hasn't filled out would be a perfect choice. Or maybe a slightly aged female who is skinny. Overall a good choice for a female carry who isn't 5 foot nothing. Their load will be light and they will probably be more mindful of the importance they carry.

Info on their threat screening is available here: https://www.monolithicmarketplace.co...ade-in-the-usa

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,491 Times in 696 Posts
Default water purification

Have now spent past 2 years, purifying all my drinking water from a Sawyer with a plastic bucket and a Big Berkee. My wife and I have no problem. During the wet season, I purify until I fill four 50-gallon barrels. I then fill another 8 barrels with water of the roof and use that for non-drinking use and will also purify some of that during the summer. I have been on a roof collecting system for 25 years now. Got tired of hauling drinking water from a neighbor so I finally completed the system. It can be done.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
Have now spent past 2 years, purifying all my drinking water from a Sawyer with a plastic bucket and a Big Berkee. My wife and I have no problem. During the wet season, I purify until I fill four 50-gallon barrels. I then fill another 8 barrels with water of the roof and use that for non-drinking use and will also purify some of that during the summer. I have been on a roof collecting system for 25 years now. Got tired of hauling drinking water from a neighbor so I finally completed the system. It can be done.
Well, it figures you would endorse a plainly flawed system that doesn't even address the OP's requested needs.

Where exactly would he have a roof rain gathering spot at a wilderness base camp?

Try actually reading the OP's needs before offering advice.

Figures too that you would crow about cheap Chinese Berkey filter and think that redundancy was necessary by adding a Sawyer, or that you overdid the redundancy with a Sawyer and ceramic filter on rain water for biothreats and barely waved a hanky at toxicity. It's like a perfect example of how to not learn something that's been free to read the right way for years.

Not to worry, the OP will spend spend less and get more quality, flow rate, and total gallons with the solution he and I already covered than your setup and not have to pack a roof with him into the woods.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,373 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
Have now spent past 2 years, purifying all my drinking water from a Sawyer with a plastic bucket and a Big Berkee. My wife and I have no problem.
I do not find it difficult to say, that Zeke is absolutely correct in this, although it helps the understanding and acceptance of this fact if you ignore the bad breath that accompanies his advice here at times.

Redundancy in these systems is a waste of time and resources, if you get it right initially.

Doulton ceramic filter candles are to be trusted, and there are a boatload of reasons for that fact.

It is foolish to ignore Zeke's well founded advice on addressing the possibility of toxin contamination, among other things. I totally trust his advice in this regard, as he is correct. I too started from a position of gross ignorance in this regard, but having read here, and researched on my own, over time I have come to understand the factual nature of Zeke's expertise in these matters.

Read here, the stickies especially, and you will have many questions answered, learn valuable things that very well may save your time, money, and your health.

Read this thread again, and see how the advice may impact what you are doing.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy mind View Post
I do not find it difficult to say, that Zeke is absolutely correct in this, although it helps the understanding and acceptance of this fact if you ignore the bad breath that accompanies his advice here at times.

Redundancy in these systems is a waste of time and resources, if you get it right initially.

Doulton ceramic filter candles are to be trusted, and there are a boatload of reasons for that fact.

It is foolish to ignore Zeke's well founded advice on addressing the possibility of toxin contamination, among other things. I've got a minor issue with him, but I totally trust his advice in this regard, as he is correct. I too started from a position of gross ignorance in this regard, but having read here, and researched on my own, over time I have come to understand the factual nature of Zeke's expertise in these matters.

Read here, the stickies especially, and you will have many questions answered, learn valuable things that very well may save your time, money, and your health.

Read this thread again, and see how the advice may impact what you are doing.
I.S. habitually posts ignorant advice of premium grade stupidity. He's not posting because he wants advice. He just wants to insert his ignorant ideas, like puttster does, so he gets some validation that he has a clue about prepping. Or better yet some n00b thinks his way is easier and becomes a convert to his ways. Morons like him like followers.

Attempting to teach him is a waste of time. My rebuttal was for other readers to ensure some newcomer didn't take his advice.

I don't need an explanation squad. My information stands on its own and I know whether I'm talking to a newcomer, experienced member with a special problem, or a yahoo like I.S. is. My rudeness to him was purposeful. I know how to target my advice and certainly don't need you coming along later thinking you need to fix anything. The OP is the person with the real question and he was properly answered.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,373 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
I.S. habitually posts ignorant advice of premium grade stupidity. He's not posting because he wants advice. He just wants to insert his ignorant ideas, like puttster does, so he gets some validation that he has a clue about prepping. Or better yet some n00b thinks his way is easier and becomes a convert to his ways. Morons like him like followers.

Attempting to teach him is a waste of time. My rebuttal was for other readers to ensure some newcomer didn't take his advice.

I don't need an explanation squad. My information stands on its own and I know whether I'm talking to a newcomer, experienced member with a special problem, or a yahoo like I.S. is. My rudeness to him was purposeful. I know how to target my advice and certainly don't need you coming along later thinking you need to fix anything. The OP is the person with the real question and he was properly answered.

Yep, got all that Zeke, and I apologize for attempting to be supportive where I thought it might be constructive, it will not happen again.

I don't keep files on everybody, so I was unaware this guy was on your crap list. I guess he can be sent to the outer darkness now, and no effort made to change how he thinks. It is your call here. I do understand that.

The purposeful rudeness may have collateral damage in that people who don't read your mind, are unaware of the history behind why you employ rudeness in specific cases, may be alienated by it, scared off, and never benefit from what you do know about this subject area. I reckon they aren't worth warm spit if they scare off so easily, right?

No, I'm not looking to start a big damn fight, not here at least.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy mind View Post
I guess he can be sent to the outer darkness now, and no effort made to change how he thinks.
Effort has been made by many all over this forum. At some point you must accept that a few have aggressive stupidity.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:15 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,451 Times in 6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Effort has been made by many all over this forum. At some point you must accept that a few have aggressive stupidity.
LOL great terminology = "aggressive stupidity"

Almost better than "you can't fix stupid".....
Old 09-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 46,661 Times in 10,866 Posts
Thumbs up Epic water filter test

https://www.wideners.com/blog/water-...-for-survival/

H/T Ol' Remus at Woodpile Report http://www.woodpilereport.com/html/index-594.htm

Quote:
Of the biological contaminants you need to be concerned about, there are three main pathogenic microbes that cause these waterborne diseases: bacteria, viruses, and cysts/protozoa. These microbes are what water filters aim to remove from your drinking water.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

While I appreciate Widener's efforts, I find it odd that they clearly state that filtering needs both biological and chemical remediation but yet they only test for biological threats. All that hard work to get only half a test.