Satellite Internet - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 08-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Satellite Internet

Advertise Here

About 10 years ago, we signed up for WildBlue satellite. Where we live, there was NO high speed service other than that. We found the service awful and the install was expensive. We ran out our commitment and cancelled them.

We found there was wifi available with a USB modem, and started that. That service had a bandwidth cap each month. Then we found we were getting screwed on the bandwidth usage. We downloaded a program that tracked uploads and downloads, and sure enough, what we were doing was way less than what they claimed. We went through several providers, the last was Boost. They were honest about the usage, but there signal strength was very low and spotty.

So we started searching again. Everyone has seen the Hughenet Gen5 ads. But asking around on a variety of forums, most were ****ed at the service and support was terrible. But Viasat had a much better feedback, so I dug into that. It was affordable, the installation was very reasonable, so I took the plunge. I've had it for a little over a month, and so far no complaints. We lost service once when a storm came through, but that passed quickly. Bandwidth usage is tracked like others, but they don't cut you off, just throttle you down. We went over the first month, but we hardly noticed the difference. One other plus they have, is a "free time" from 3AM to 6AM. My wife and I get up at 4AM ever day anyway, so any heavy usage we hit during that time. Keeping our fingers crossed this works out long term.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,803 Times in 726 Posts

Verizon got so bad here, we were down to dial up speeds. Saw a viasat commercial and we decided to try it. After a couple install hick ups, we love it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weaselrunner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,095 Posts

Never have tried a dish for data but do have DirecTV.
Using ATT cellular unlimited here for the family, 40/20 speed wise.
I figure we are using on average 500 Gb per month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,839 Times in 10,502 Posts

Used both Wild Blue at one point and also Dish Internet. Sat internet was not great but better than the phone company dial up and eventually DSL that was so awful I tried out wireless via a mobile hotspot.

I now use a LTE modem and a data only MVNO called Red Pocket that gives me 5GB a month data using AT&T service for $25/mo. It is not bad since I have always been used to a minimal service. Much faster now running about 7mb to 15mb down and 5-6mb up. Low latency of about 35ms. So I do not DL in the 100's of GB like those that have always lived with great connections in urban settings.

I would never use sat internet again. Horrible latency and expensive.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Horrible latency and expensive
There is a latency with satellite, maybe 1/2 second. It's more than a LTE service, but not bad. Expense wise, we are paying $60 per month for 12 gigs of bandwidth that does NOT count the free time usage. We were paying $50 for 10 gigs with wifi. We don't think it's a bad deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Don't get me started

I can get 18gb for $75 or 10gb for $50 from AT&T Prepaid (I was using them at $25 for 3GB before switching to Red Pocket). However I do not wish to pay anymore than I have to. And the latency issue of 500-600ms for satellite service is a big one after you experience it and compare it to a low latency connection.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,496 Times in 6,295 Posts

I've been on Hughes since I moved into my retirement BOL in 2009. No complaints, except once when my modem went strange they sent me a used replacement which was DOA, and their phone support is farmed out to South Asia. The people who whine about latency and speeds are the maroons for whom gaming and streaming video are their only life. I kinda wish I didn't lose signal during thunderstorms, and I hate trekking out to brush the snow off the dish once or twice a winter, but that's life in the sticks. There's no cable out here, no cell signal, either, and the best that dialup can do is 28k. The local service guy who came out to fix a bug in my dish was first-class. (BTW it really was a bug - the cover over the horn allowed some sort of tiny spiders to get in there and clog up the waveguide!)

A side benefit to Hughes: They run some sort of powerful firewall, because I never see the Chinese-hacker pings and port requests that were a plague when I was on DSL. I used to see anything up to 100 per DAY.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,204 Times in 433 Posts

The Old Coach we have also been on Hughes for years (12-14). If you call and talk to them it is possible to get a price reduction. My wife just got us 6mo. at the new customer rate after saying that we would change providers.

If you take the time every 6 mo. they always agree to another 6mo.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,047 Times in 3,447 Posts

I have Hughesnet. I got in at a $39.99 program about 9 years ago. They send me fliers in the mail all the time trying to get me to upgrade to another plan, but I think the cheapest is like $69 or something. They don't offer my plan anymore, but I was grandfathered in, and I haven't asked to upgrade.

I'm limited to 250MB a day, then it's supposedly going to slow to a crawl. I find that it slows to a crawl whenever it wants to (whether I went over or not), and when I go over my limit, it usually doesn't go much slower. I went over yesterday and I still downloaded a 400MB zip file in about 30 minutes (a very good speed for me!).

The latency isn't so bad once you get used to it. Usually. Most text sites are fine. Things with videos can be a pain - like Youtube. Most news sites are awful.

I tried out World of Warcraft earlier this year and it was much better than I expected. I had played it a lot when I still lived with my parents (10 years ago) but couldn't play it out here (probably better for me). I was cleaning and found a 60 day card I had never used. Took me probably 5 days to download the game, lol! As long as I stayed away from the populated places during peak times, the game was actually very playable, except for dungeons where there were lots of things to kill... then you really saw the latency.

I'd love to get true highspeed. I was in the hospital for 5 days a few months ago, and I had brought my Kindle Fire tablet. I was exited about the highspeed internet - you just clicked and it was there!

They keep saying that Verizon or Time Warner is going to be coming through here. I'm not getting my hopes up. But even then, how much? $40/month is pretty good for me.

P.S. If you find yourself using up lots of bandwidth and you don't know why, it might be BITS. It's a stupid Windows program that's supposedly supposed to download updates and whatever in the background when you're not using bandwidth. For months I couldn't figure out why my bandwidth was going so fast. I'd watch the counter go down and down, but I wasn't downloading anything. It was frustrating to come home from work and go to use the internet and it was always ridiculously slow - I was almost about to cancel my service. I finally figured out what it was, and it took me a bit to figure out how to disable it, but I finally did. A google search showed that others had the same problems. It wasn't just downloading updates. It was just downloading who knows what!?! It literally downloaded gigs every week. And it wasn't going just in the background - it was going all the time. And when you're downloading something, at least for me, normal web browsing slows right down to a crawl. I had always had my connection set as a metered one, and that meant that Windows wasn't supposed to download anything, but for some reason that didn't stop it.

This program is very hard to stop. I tried disabling it, but then after a while - maybe an hour, two hours, or the next day, it's going again. You can't remove it, since it's not a .exe or a .dll that you can delete but a program in one of the main windows files. This was 6 or 7 months ago, so I don't recall what else I did (I think I went in to the registry and deleted some keys), but the big thing was my internet security software (ESET) has a powerful filter, and I set it to block all traffic and ask me whenever anything wants to use the internet. It gives you the option to allow or deny it once, or to make a rule so it will automatically do that. I think this was the key. Made it very easy, and effective.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,100 Times in 20,002 Posts

Are you in the quiet zone?

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...-fi-are-banned
Old 09-01-2019, 10:48 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,265 Times in 2,095 Posts

Tried HughesNet, was miserable. Had to go to DOJ to get out of cancellation fee. Their gee-wiz speeds are on EchoStar 19. Without telling us our area was blacked out to ES-19, they put us on ES-17, which is fatally oversold.

Now with a ViaSat unlimited plan, seems to work very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,078 Times in 606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I can get 18gb for $75 or 10gb for $50 from AT&T Prepaid (I was using them at $25 for 3GB before switching to Red Pocket). However I do not wish to pay anymore than I have to. And the latency issue of 500-600ms for satellite service is a big one after you experience it and compare it to a low latency connection.
Remember AT&T Prepaid is offering 8GB/month if you buy a year's plan ($300 before taxes) direct from their website.

Wal-mart also has a promo for 25 GB/month on AT&T Prepaid for $40 before tax...though you might have to buy a new phone.

Big advantage to AT&T Prepaid is they offer hotspot for no extra...most AT&T-based MVNOs either don't or charge extra.
The Following User Says Thank You to ncbill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Remember AT&T Prepaid is offering 8GB/month if you buy a year's plan ($300 before taxes) direct from their website.

Wal-mart also has a promo for 25 GB/month on AT&T Prepaid for $40 before tax...though you might have to buy a new phone.

Big advantage to AT&T Prepaid is they offer hotspot for no extra...most AT&T-based MVNOs either don't or charge extra.
I don't see the listing for a year of Prepaid data only hotspot at $300.

Walmart's plan requires buying a phone from them and is not for standalone hotspots.

ETA: I dug up the AT&T offer. It is a phone plan. It simply gives a $15/mo reduction off their Prepaid phone service of $40/mo for buying a year at a time (Now until 10/31/19). Good deal for those wanting unlimited talk and text plus the 8gb data. Would not work in a stand alone hotspot.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

These plans require that you be within coverage of a cell tower. Satellite is for those of us whole have zero or very weak cellular signal, and no cable. Not comparable.
Quote:
Now with a ViaSat unlimited plan, seems to work very well.
Correct me if I'm wrong - AFAIK ViaSat is just repackaged Hughes satellite bandwidth, isn't it? That's all the parent company Wild Blue was, repackaged Telesat.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,137 Times in 2,315 Posts

We had Wildblue for our first 6 years out here, that 10 GByte data cap each month goes fast. The service worked well enough though as long as the satellite dish stayed in alignment.

Our big problem was that they installed it where it can be hit when the snow falls off our roof. We get several truck load sized chunks of snow falling off the roof each day and each one of them dings the receiver on the satellite dish. It would then take 3 to 5 days for the tech to get out there to repair it. He finally gave me the access code to the setup in the satellite so that I could readjust it myself which was handy, though I still had to readjust the dang thing up to 2 or 3 times a week to keep a signal. We tried the Magic jack phone service with Wild Blue and were never able to get it to work apparently Wild Blue doesn't have enough bandwidth to run the VOIP phone systems.

Between the slow speed, the 10GB data cap and the constant adjusting combined with the $55 a month I was tired of it.

Luckily a local company managed to get the Federal government to match $3M in funds and they sued Verizon to use the base of their new tower on Spud Mountain and they put in a new LTE4 system that is less effected by trees. I wasn't able to get a signal at the house as their map showed but we were able to get a good signal out in my hay field. So Installed a 20 foot post in the hay field and buried 225 feet of pipe back to the house to run the cable through and all is great now.

I now have unlimited bandwidth at just under 10GBps for $75 a month. This allowed me to finally tell Frontier communications where to stick it and get rid of my barely working landline saving us $78 a month on our phone bill. Now I use the Magic Jack phone through the internet for something like $26 or $30 a year. As for the speed of the internet, we can have up to four or so computers downloading at a time running 1.5 mega bytes a second without any issues. It is not uncommon for 4 or 5 different computers to be watching movies and playing online games all at the same time without any issues.

Compared to Wild Blue this internet service is a little slice of heaven. I guess you can also get a Verizon phone with internet and all of that with unlimited data out here that runs off the the LTE4 system as well for something like $45 to $55 a month. My son Jarad is going that route and he just uses his phone as a wireless hotspot for his computers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 02:16 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,163 Times in 9,931 Posts

All satellite sucks. If it's all you can get, what can you do? It's mediocre service that is over-priced with a lot of limitations placed on you. Honestly... they all suck balls.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
All satellite sucks. If it's all you can get, what can you do? But honestly... they all suck balls.
Only if you're brainwashed into needing multiple channels of video + gaming.

Being a bit more mature (at 74 years of age), Hughes is quite adequate for my needs.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
All satellite sucks. If it's all you can get, what can you do? It's mediocre service that is over-priced with a lot of limitations placed on you. Honestly... they all suck balls.
Data use via dish sucks. For TV, itís awesome. DirecTV, that is.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Wayfinder

I have ViaSat at my place in West Virginia. With no DSL, cable, or cell phone signal satellite was my only option. Hugh's reviews were significantly worse than ViaSat's. When I looked at their plans, the unlimited residential plans' terms were worse than the business plans' terms. With a business plan the phone is immediately answered and the problem is addressed. Many residential plan people complained about the evening data rate dropping down to levels that video feed just wouldn't work. So ViaSat formally came out with a policy that all unlimited plans could drop down as low as necessary per the company's needs. That was unacceptable to me. So I bought their most expensive business plan that was NOT unlimited. $150/month for 50GB/month = $3/GB at a guaranteed rate of 30MB/second. My measured speed was 28GB/second during the day and 5GB/second in the evenin (just barely enough to stream videos). Yeah, to hold the data consumption down I don't do HD, but standard resolution works good enough for my needs. For TV, we are going to go with DISH in the spring when we fully move in to WV.

Twice I had problems with the service simply dropping in the evening, which magically went back on at 9:15 AM the next morning (when the IT guys get in). And during moderate-strong thunderstorms we lose service, but that's the nature of the beast. Our "landline" is a simple gadget from Ooma that gets us a very clear telephone service for only $6.35/month. Loss of satellite service can be scary in the extreme boondocks when your phone line is also dropped, so we are going to get a satellite phone for $75/month that works anywhere. So count me as a generally satisfied customer.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:33 AM
Militant Normal

Sat-phones suffer the same loss of signal in thunderstorms, just so you know. I've lost my AT&T hardwire service a couple of times (once for two weeks!) due to their poor maintenance, and that is worrying when you consider that I also have zero cellphone signal in this holler I live in. But it's infrequent enough that I can't justify the cost of a satellite phone. I just rely on HughesNet to communicate to my far-flung family via email when it happens, and make darn sure I don't set the house afire. Or I drive up to the top of the hill where there's a good cell signal.

As I've posted, I've been on Hughes for over ten years now, and other than thunderstorms, or snow on the dish, my service has never simply "gone out overnight", for what that's worth. Their uptime record is much better than AT&T's.