Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,281 Times in 9,621 Posts
Default Thoughts on the Ruger SR22?

Advertise Here

I am still looking to buy a second kit gun. A realatively small pistol or revolver, light enough to carry on hiking/fishing trips, and suited for shots of oportunity at rabbits, squirrels, or other small game.

So today I asked a local shop owner if he could recommend a couple suitable pistols, and he suggested two, a Walther P22 QD, and the Ruger SR22.
Both can be fitted with a suppressor, and I like the feel of the Ruger better.

Does anyone gave experience with either pistol, or any other suitable kit gun available?

My current kit gun is a Ruger SP 101 chambered in 32 HR. I would prefer an even lighter pistol suited in a more common caliber.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,458 Times in 8,692 Posts

I looked the Ruger SP 101 in 22LR almost $800 and 2#.

I would just load cast bullets for the 32 H&R as small game (bunnies/grouse) getter, use jacketed bullets for other stuff.

Under 1# https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-22-compact. I'm not really into plastic pistols.

I like the old S&W 22/32 kit gun, pre model 34. Later M34 was made in stainless M63 for while, that would be my choice but no weight savings.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,253 Times in 18,915 Posts

Ruger is FAR better.
I know of a suppressor company which uses them to test every single one of their .22 cans.

Tens of thousands of rounds.

Have you considered a .22 conversion for one of your major pistols?

I use a Advantage Arms .22 conversion for a Glock like that.
(So I can carry a G23 and G27 and have one .22 or both .40)
With an aluminum slide.... It's amazingly light.

S&W 317 also, mines a snubby, look at the 4"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,178 Times in 4,917 Posts

My youngest daughter loves her SR22.

She has the small grip on it so I haven't really shot it that much.
probably close to 1000 rounds of Automatch through It and I cannot recall one stoppage or malfunction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,158 Times in 6,744 Posts

I really like my S&W Victory, very accurate, easy to see sights, $300.

The SR22 is a bit more money usually, but seems to have better ergonomics for smaller hands. Heard nothing but good about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 09:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,022 Posts

I'd take a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV or S&W Victory over that.. Reality though, albeit a bit heavy, the S&W Victory is the best value, with a better trigger, easy to use fiber optic sights, and far more accurate than the SR22 or P22. If I limited it to the Ruger SR22 and Walther P22, it's a tough decision. I'd likely lean towards the Walther. For plinking, and carrying in your pocket, the P22 or SR22 is the best choice; if you are going to toss it in to a pack, in a box, etc for days you need to shoot a squirrel with it, the Victory hands down. With a suppressor, the 22/45 or Victory are far better in nearly every respects; with the 22/45 being lighter; and the Victory having quite a bit better trigger than any of the others. The only reason to go to the 22/45 is that it's a bit lighter than the Victory !

My choice for light would be the 22/45. My choice for accuracy, best trigger, everything else- the Victory, with no hesitation. Only if I wanted to carry it in my pocket would I lean towards the SR22 or P22 ..
There is ONE advantage to the Ruger products, and that is WARRANTY.
Mechanically, there are very few differences between the SR22 and P22. The P22 I have has polymer sights; one has a dented polymer sight from something. I did experience problems with the magazine disconnects with my SR22; it's a problem with the magazines that happened. Ruger does have a notably better warranty.. In case you are interested, I liked the ergos on the P22 slightly better than the SR22; but differences between the two are minimal overall. As a pocket pistol, it's decent..

So, for me, I'd take the 22/45 if I wanted lite; the Victory otherwise. ONLY if I was putting it in my pocket would I grab either of the other two. When I go to the range, 99% of the time I take 1 of the Victory's and 1 of the 22/45's.. They are far more fun to shoot IMO. Putting a red dot on either is like cheating however.. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being better, the Victory is like a 9, the 22/45 is an 8, and the two pocket pistols are like a 2 or 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Hiker

Default Thoughts on the Ruger SR22?

ruger sr22 is a truly excellent plinker: handy, reliable, easily cleaned. if you are ok with 22lr for protection the sr22 is small enough to be a ccw, and i certainly wouldn’t want 10 of its cci stingers headed my way. i’ve enjoyed many 1000s of all brands of ammo in mine. it is absolutely fine fresh out of the box, no modifications needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jstert For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,214 Times in 7,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I am still looking to buy a second kit gun. A realatively small pistol or revolver, light enough to carry on hiking/fishing trips, and suited for shots of oportunity at rabbits, squirrels, or other small game.

So today I asked a local shop owner if he could recommend a couple suitable pistols, and he suggested two, a Walther P22 QD, and the Ruger SR22.
Both can be fitted with a suppressor, and I like the feel of the Ruger better.

Does anyone gave experience with either pistol, or any other suitable kit gun available?

My current kit gun is a Ruger SP 101 chambered in 32 HR. I would prefer an even lighter pistol suited in a more common caliber.
My SR22 will not cycle reliably using subsonic ammo. I shoot all 1050 and below ammo in non-semi-auto guns.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,980 Times in 2,576 Posts

I've had an SR-22 for years now, everyone likes shooting it, especially the kids. I haven't had any problems with it so far. Is there an occasional FTE or FTF, yeah once in a while, but I think most of those are ammo related. My only real complaint is the magazines, only holds 10 rounds and new mags for it aren't cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,872 Times in 5,420 Posts

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...22m+475+bl+bhg

Heritage Bird's Head Grip. .22lr/.22WMR combination.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,058 Times in 352 Posts

ive had my SR22 for 3 years now, absolutely LOVE it! ive never had it jam, i only shoot CCI minimags and Winchester 42grn MAX .22LR, hollow point, the latter is what i carry it with in my vehicle.

they are easy to break down for cleaning. the choice of 2 grip swells is nice. its a very reliable and accurate pistol that i highly recommend.

on the Walther P22, i remember when there was a LOT of them that had the slide chipping and slides cracking, ive never wanted to risk my money on something that was poorly made. i have not heard if they fixed the issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayakjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 12:22 AM

I’ve had my SR22 for several years now. Never had a problem with it. Very reliable, even with junk bulk ammo. Accurate too. Not as accurate as my Ruger MK I or MKII, but plenty accurate enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Pusher of brooms

Had a SR22, excellent little gun. Couldn't get used to the backwards safety.
But once it ran in, it would work with anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Late2Prep For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Prepared

You can't go wrong choosing the SR22. Definitely a keeper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodstalker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 12:50 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
My youngest daughter loves her SR22.

She has the small grip on it so I haven't really shot it that much.
probably close to 1000 rounds of Automatch through It and I cannot recall one stoppage or malfunction.
Same experience here. My niece also got one, and I've taken her shooting with a large hodgepoge of .22 ammo, partial boxes etc, of varying brands, bullet types and vintages to test it out. Hasn't burped once. The one I have has also run 100% afair. Better than some of my older more expensive .22's, or a similar Walther .22 a friend brought out. Ruger seems to have gotten that one right.

I think it would make a dandy kit gun Hick. I wish they had made it 40 years ago. It would have spent time in my pack instead of one of my beloved S&W J .22's for that purpose.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Default KelTec PMR30

Ruger makes great weapons and the SR22 is one but the KelTec PMR30 in .22 mag is a good one too and in a more powerful round. All depends the intended used.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,178 Times in 4,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m151 View Post
Ruger makes great weapons and the SR22 is one but the KelTec PMR30 in .22 mag is a good one too and in a more powerful round. All depends the intended used.
I have two PMR’s.
I like them, I don’t love them.
The magazines even if one follows the instructions on how to load them are still the Achilles Heel of the weapon.

I see the .22lr model is now out, I suspect the same magazine issues with it.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,281 Times in 9,621 Posts

I have already made my mistake with Keltek. Dont want another.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Prepared

I have a SR22. It’s pretty accurate for what it is. No issues with it thus far. I got it from a buddy of mine who needed the money. He’s not much of a shooter therefore it hadn’t been shot much. I like it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammerstrike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 PM

I'm a big fan of the SR22. Both my kids trained on them because they are so small. I own 3 and none of them ever have issues. I also have a 22/45 lite that is more accurate and probably better suited to taking game if that is what you want it for. Truth be told, I have kind of parked them all. I took a leap of faith based on reviews and purchased my first Taurus. I am in no way a fan of Taurus or trust my life to one enough to carry it but they really knocked it out of the park with their TX22 model. My boys use that now for training since it is more full size and operates like most other handguns. It field strips just like most pistols, which the SR22 doesn't. It's not a problem but it is a fact. The TX22 holds 16 rounds instead of 10. It has fired everything but so did the SR22. The SR22 requires a barrel upgrade or can be purchased with threaded barrel. The TX22 comes with a barrel extension threaded. The TX22 can be had right now for $259 which is less than the SR22 and Taurus has a $50 mail in rebate for TX22s purchased in August I believe putting it at $209. I am considering buying another.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post: