Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,115 Posts
Default Which baofeng variant?

Advertise Here

I'm thinking of getting a uv82 because the control buttons are bigger and so is the speaker though i have not handled or heard this unit or the standard 5r. Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,345 Times in 2,051 Posts

No real right answer here. If you think a different form factor will serve your needs better, buy that one. The UV-5R series is pretty small with the stock battery, which might be a problem for people with coordination issues (e.g., the elderly). But adding an extended battery makes it much easier to handle. I use this one, which helps, but the radio still has small buttons.

Personally, I've settled on the UV-5RX3 for my Baofeng needs, because it adds 1.25m capability. (link, with the Nagoya tri-band antenna.) In addition to having access to a different band, there are a lot of 2m/70cm radios out there and a lot fewer 1.25m...that might come in handy someday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,115 Posts

What kind of range do you get with 1.25m? No repeater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Stop YOLOing

Don't have good info on that yet for simplex operation but I'm sure it would be terrain dependent just like 2m and 70cm. I live in a bowl with high terrain on all sides and I've gotten non-LOS simplex on 2m for about 5 miles with a Baofeng, with two ridgelines in between. Hard to say what the real-world performance would be for 1.25m but I'll test it sometime and report back.

Sometimes when theory says one band (like 2m and 70cm) should work better than another, it doesn't hold up in the real world because there are lots of variables. But we also have mountains here so it's not unheard of to get huge ranges on 2m 5W.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:24 AM

I don't have any personal experience with the UV-82 but I do have a UV-5R, UV-5R+ and two UV-5R5s and have no complaints. They all have interchangable batteries, interchangable antenna adapters, the widest variety of accesories and are all well made transceivers. I get one to three miles in simplex unless I hook them up to external antennas (like on the roof of my truck) then I get two to seven miles depending on terrain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles Vane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,409 Times in 2,889 Posts

I liked my Uv-82's because like you say bigger keys and speaker. Plus they just look better. However, the U82L failed on the rocker switch for A or B, the straight Uv-82 doesn't have a rocker. I replaced it with a GT-5TP (1/4/8), so far so good and it has a very professional look to it.

I just bought a UV-5RIII and a UV-82III, both Tri-Bands.

I like the UV-5R for what it is, I'm going to get another for $23.48 to put both in my girlfriends and my bag. Incidentally, with the A/B button and not dual buttons, it was actually easier for novices this weekend when I went to Trona (by Ridgecrest with all the quakes) this weekend to deliver water.

On the other hand I really like the 82-III it's not as streamlined as the other UV-82's, it's bulkier but with my big paws it just feels better. This radio comes with me everywhere from now on, plus purchase another one for my girlfriend (as you can read I like matching pairs, ie: 2 batteries, two chargers for each pair). With the extra bulk and flat bottom it just seems to set down and stay upright better. This came in handy this weekend taking it everywhere with me (I got hooked up with the local Ham Club Emergency net and Comm Van out front of Ridgecrest PD) and keeping it upright so I could hear the local repeater better. ie: took it into Pizza Hut on Saturday, one of the few restaurants open.

Now with all that said I'm going to get me a couple of 888's that are program only, no front panel, 2 for $20. Just 2 selector switches (16 channels) and program them for FRS/GMRS. I was the hit of the working party. People were fighting over my radios versus the walmart specials, mainly since a couple of the radios that people brought had crappy receive. I just didn't feel comfortable leaving them for use when I headed back to Ridgecrest. With the 888's I would have just left them and had them return them to my girlfriend later. At $10 a piece if one grew wings I would just consider it part of the Earthquake damages, no big deal. Plus, if it did then I wouldn't feel guilty letting a front panel programming radio capable of multi-bands loose on the untrained public.

As mentioned in another post there's way too much personal preference and options, based on your needs, your environment and the people that will be using them. I hope my experiences help though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:27 AM
Shoot-Move-Communicate

I'll stay out of this one.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
I'll stay out of this one.
By you making that post you're dying to weigh in.

BaoFengs are cheap pieces of crap. I hate them and I despise Hams running around like they're all that with a UV-5r as their only radio. I especially despise the 4 local hams who have set them up as a FRS repeater (illegally) and then get mad thinking people are intentionally jamming them, yet the culprit is a Chinese whore (that's what I call BaoFengs) letting everything in (their receive filters suck).

More time was spent this weekend on the Emergency net telling people that their signal was garbage and non readable because they become Techs and spend a whole $25 as their only radio. not understanding propagation and/or the fact that BaoFengs are garbage, trying to talk to the repeater from inside the house and can't understand why their signal isn't hitting the repeater.

Turns out that the local Ham Club president was pretty impressed with my Base Station and mobile for this "Radio Bubba". It was that fact that let the cat of the bag completely that I am even licensed. Of over 25 people on that net I was the only one that could hit all but one of the local repeaters within 125 miles radius and have multiple radios monitoring and although we never used it, could have crossbanded Cal City direct into the valley when they lost communication with Ridgecrest with my modified business band Kenwoods. Yes, there's other stations around here even better than mine, but they weren't part of that net. I had to laugh that 75 percent of the people on that net only had one BaoFeng handheld (see footnote 1). I set my truck up in Trona as a mobile GMRS repeater and was able to get full coverage of the town (full quieting even inside buildings). The radio bubbas came through in time of need, while the hams were struggling locally to get comms across the board with everybody (even Walmart FRS radios that a lot of people bought, thinking they have 34 miles of coverage per the box, lol), not just the privileged few. Yes, they excel on HF (ARES and RACES were on standby if needed) I could hear eyes rolling when I was getting something relayed via a big cb station.

Handhelds in general suck if used as the primary and BaoFengs are even worse. I have a decent Kenwood that I have in the truck all the time. But since I have a tendency to drop stuff and lose it, considering that I can have 10 BaoFengs for the price of my Kenwood, in situations like this weekend, quantity far exceeds quality.

(Footnote 1) I made my girlfriend get her tech license and am now having her become active with the local Hams as my P.O.C. with the local Hams. I offended a lot of people on that repeater Monday when I was talking to the President about me installing one of my spare base stations at her house because she only has a UHF station and a BaoFeng handheld. He was like "oh that's good, most people are running BaoFeng handhelds'. My response was 'She's my girlfriend and representing me, I have more self respect than that.'
Old 07-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Stop YOLOing

Somebody needs a Snickers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Survivor

Don't take my previous post wrong. For what they are I love them as cheap throw away radios, 6 Baofengs in my gear with 4 more bought today is proof. As long as you learn and keep in mind capabilities and limitations.

Yes, my Kenwood is a better radio but it's rare to find a decent ICOM/Kenwood dual band for $75. I bought 4 radios, albeit 2 are basically FRS radios for $70 today to complete my pairs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,031 Posts

investigate Radioddity. if what they have works like they say it does, it would be great.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,705 Times in 4,968 Posts

Whatever you're gonna get you'd better get it quick, its my understanding the FCC has put the kibosh on being able to get these in the US as of Sept of this year as they are not FCC "approved" and cannot be advertised for sale. I just bought two of the UV-5R's for $23.52 each and a programming cable for $16.46. Its not just the Baofeng brand either, its any brand that is not approved for use by the FCC, they are essentially being considered as contraband in Sept, like firearms that have become extinct due to bans so will these, you'll have what you have. Even private sellers wishing to sell them cannot advertise them for sale after Sept, so you'd have to do a face to face transaction if buying used...

Radios...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Stop YOLOing

Sort of. There's a software update to bring it back into FCC compliance so the platform itself will still be sold, but it won't be capable of transmitting on the FRS/GMRS frequencies. At least, that's how I understand it at the moment....

Even so, that capability might come in handy someday so if you want to keep it, it's worth buying the ones that are currently in the system. I just bought three more tri-bands (UV-5RX3) for this reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 08:02 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,159 Posts

So are the ones that are called upgraded "Tri-power" also Tri-band? I have a dual band baofeng UV-5R+ but would like to get a couple more, maybe even tri-band.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R7KKMEA/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SY0B0SE/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SY0II2A/
Old 07-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Stop YOLOing

No. Tri-power just means there are three power settings--1 watt, 4 watts, or 8 watts. The ones in your link are dual band, so they transmit on 2m and 70cm only.

Tri-band radios transmit on 2m, 70cm, and 1.25m...usually at 5W.

The jump from 5W to 8W is miniscule in terms of received signal at the other end. Better to spend the extra money on an aftermarket antenna, IMO...which you should do whether you get the 5W or the 8W. Or get both an 8W and an aftermarket antenna if budget isn't limiting the choices.

But basically, on a Baofeng you have to choose between transmitting with an extra 3W or the 1.25m band.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Stop YOLOing

And don't bother with those Baofeng hand mics at your third link, btw. I have two and they're total crap. I use the Code Red Signal 21-K, which has electronics inside to make it more clear on both transmit and receive. But it's a little spendy.

I've heard decent things about the ones in the $20 range, like the BTECH waterproof one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,159 Posts

Looking through various models I've noticed a few things, some of them specify that certain frequencies are receive only capable (usually the 65-108 ranges), so I'm assuming those are newer ones to meet the laws that are supposed to change in Sept. Also there is a wide range of differing frequencies on them. For the Tri-Band the frequencies range from 65-108, 130-179, 200-260, & 400-529.99. Now none of them have all those ranges, so I'm wondering which ones will be most useful day to day. The only channels I ever transmit on are the FRS frequencies & barring a SHTF/TEOWAWKI situation don't plan on broadcasting on any of the non FRS frequencies any time in the foreseeable future. I also found out that apparently it's even illegal to transmit on FRS with these as FRS transmissions are not supposed to be used with radios that have a removable antenna. I would guess that's not enforced too much & would be hard to prove someone used that specific radio if they also have FRS radios with fixed antennas. If the only channels affected by the new laws are the frequencies in the commercial broadcast radio range, I wouldn't be too heart broken not to be able to transmit on them, as I said I don't intend to transmit on those, but it's nice to have the option to tune into local radio stations for news/updates as well. Is there a general consensus on which frequencies are most desirable to have or does it vary by location, personal preference, etc.?
The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,029 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
Sort of. There's a software update to bring it back into FCC compliance so the platform itself will still be sold, but it won't be capable of transmitting on the FRS/GMRS frequencies. At least, that's how I understand it at the moment....

Even so, that capability might come in handy someday so if you want to keep it, it's worth buying the ones that are currently in the system. I just bought three more tri-bands (UV-5RX3) for this reason.
Is there really going to be a change come September? The models I recently bought have FCC acceptance numbers and are labeled as such but still transmit on FRS frequencies.

For what it's worth my preference is to go with the higher power dual band models. Fewer triband antennas are available and I don't see much value in the extra band.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 PM
Stop YOLOing

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin View Post
Is there really going to be a change come September? The models I recently bought have FCC acceptance numbers and are labeled as such but still transmit on FRS frequencies.
Who knows? There's supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin View Post
For what it's worth my preference is to go with the higher power dual band models. Fewer triband antennas are available and I don't see much value in the extra band.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other...there's no right answer here. I have some 8W ones, too. I just appreciate knowing it's a little less likely that someone will hear our conversation if I have to leave a family member with a vehicle or something. But you're right about the selection of accessories being smaller for tri-band. FWIW, dual-band antennas work just fine on the X3...just need to switch to a 220MHz antenna to use that band. They actually ship with two rubber duckies instead of a single tri-band.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:41 PM
Stop YOLOing

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
Looking through various models I've noticed a few things, some of them specify that certain frequencies are receive only capable (usually the 65-108 ranges), so I'm assuming those are newer ones to meet the laws that are supposed to change in Sept. Also there is a wide range of differing frequencies on them. For the Tri-Band the frequencies range from 65-108, 130-179, 200-260, & 400-529.99. Now none of them have all those ranges, so I'm wondering which ones will be most useful day to day. The only channels I ever transmit on are the FRS frequencies & barring a SHTF/TEOWAWKI situation don't plan on broadcasting on any of the non FRS frequencies any time in the foreseeable future. I also found out that apparently it's even illegal to transmit on FRS with these as FRS transmissions are not supposed to be used with radios that have a removable antenna. I would guess that's not enforced too much & would be hard to prove someone used that specific radio if they also have FRS radios with fixed antennas. If the only channels affected by the new laws are the frequencies in the commercial broadcast radio range, I wouldn't be too heart broken not to be able to transmit on them, as I said I don't intend to transmit on those, but it's nice to have the option to tune into local radio stations for news/updates as well. Is there a general consensus on which frequencies are most desirable to have or does it vary by location, personal preference, etc.?
For ham radio users in the U.S., the most common frequencies are 144-148MHz (the 2m band) and 420-450MHz (the 70cm band). Most ham radios have the ability to receive certain freqs that they can't transmit on, including broadcast FM radio (like the normal music stations, 87-108MHz) and the NOAA weather transmissions (162.xxx).

Transmitting on FRS frequencies (462.xxx and 467.xxx MHz) is only legal if you use radios type-accepted for those frequencies. Basically, that rules out everything except the walkie talkies you get at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. This was the stink over Baofengs: you can't transmit on FRS frequencies with a radio that has a removable antenna or with this much power. So the software update will apparently restrict their ability to transmit on FRS and GMRS frequencies.

If you get a current Baofeng and transmit on FRS today, you'd be breaking an FCC regulation. Like you said, you're very unlikely to get caught unless you're doing something stupid. But still, not legal.

But it's legal to listen to those freqs, and that has already come in handy for me several times...like listening to the parking attendants talk about where congestion is at a football stadium so I can avoid it. And knowing that there are LOTS of FRS radios out there that could be used in other circumstances, I'd like the ability to scan and listen on the same piece of equipment I'm using for my own comms...or maybe transmit in a bona fide emergency.