.410 Shotgun - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 08-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,403 Times in 3,663 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Wouldn't you just as soon own a .454 smooth bore you could shoot 410 shot shells as well as .45 long colt and ,45 ACP wit moon clips ?

Like a Judge or Governor? Nah...I'm happy with a Mossberg 500E...
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,512 Times in 1,948 Posts

As I read this thread, it reminds me of the single shot guns that I have acquired over the years. Then I remember that I watched the gun auctions and picked up a spare 410 barrel to fit them.They are stashed all over the place with the 410 barrels in the garage. I even picked up adapters for my 12 and 20 gage. I'm set for .410. I have notice that in my younger days I like 12 ga but moved to 20. Later I moved to 28. I reload for all of them. The lead shot ban in California has made the 12 and 20 a lot more likable. but since I stocked up on lead ammo and Nevada is only a 3 hour drive, who knows. That said, there was a rattlesnake in the driveway this summer that my wife saw. Her 410 had a talk with him. No snake issues. I think 410 is the perfect snake round. My wife agrees
Old 08-28-2019, 06:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,512 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Never owned a 28ga. I came close to buying one a while ago. I kick myself in the seat of the pants for not doing so. I think it's a fascinating albeit obscure gauge.
28 ga is easier on cases that 410, you will get more loadings with a 28. I harvested my first and only turkey with a 28. I would shoot more but they are a pain to clean and decieded against shooting them. In the fall they flock at my place. A friend shot one with his pcp pellet rifle at 15 yards in my driveway. I do have a pcp rifle in .22, i may get one this fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,743 Times in 773 Posts

I was not a .410 hater ; just not a user until last week. I found one in my dads shop after he passed an bought it home - it was rusted an needed a lil clean up work. I looked around for shells an did not find any. Went to buy some an said nope aint gona do it. I visited Ballistic Products where I get my shot shell loading supplies when needed. I was able to order 200 primed new 3" shells an a bag of wads for less than what 3 boxes would have cost me. I loaded them sittn at the kitchen table with a lee powder dipper, pencil an elmers glue to hold the over shot card in place. Im near 50 an had never shot a .410 until I loaded these. Three shots deep I was convinced. The 20yd pattern would harvest any small game I have ever hunted. I loaded 100 with 80 being #6 shot an 20 #4 shot. I have since shot a squirrel an it did a perfect job.

I now respect the lil .410 an will enjoy trying it out this fall. I had dropped down to a 20ga to save on weight an size of the shotgun I carry for close work on hogs an yotes. Hitting targets has not been an issue for me with a shotgun. I now will just enjoy the challenge of the smaller gauge round.

In a nut shell do not knock the lil .410 until you have tried it for small game hunting.

I would NOT recommend it for defense. The 20 ga is just simply too good for young, and/or smaller folks wanting a shotgun for defense. Ammo cost will drive the ability to shoot more. The 20ga is just far better of an ammo buy by 2 to 1 over the .410.
The Following User Says Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,403 Times in 3,663 Posts

I use the 410 for grouse. Hunting them is usually a close in proposition as they don't normally fly off and when they do it's not very far. As a matter of fact I've nearly stepped on them while being quiet and stalking. Having grouse explode out of the brush at your feet while you are trying to be quiet and stealthy will definitely check the condition of your heart, if I was going to have a coronary that would the time.

rwtrapper you might try some of the online outlets for 410 ammo, lucky gunner has pretty good prices on 410 ammo, buying bulk is usually your best bet pricewise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post: