Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,073 Times in 2,800 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
Indigenous people had long established lifestyles learned and lived from birth. They also had each other. Being kicked out of a tribe was likely a death sentence for most. Indigenous people in northern climates spent the entire warm season preparing for the cold season. Modern man cannot live on meat alone. Eventually it will bind up your GI tract and kill you. Game is more scarce in the cold season, but can still be found. Grains, fruits, vegetables, etc have to be collected and stored long before winter hits.

I predict this will be the shortest season yet. The contestants don't have much of a chance. I wish they would stage it in a more temperate climate and let them take whatever they choose so long as they can carry it 10 miles in a pack. Would make the show more interesting than who can withstand starvation the longest which is basically what it is now. I still like the show and look forward to it, but some small changes would definitely improve it IMO.
I agree. It would be near impossible to be dropped in a situation like this and survive long term.

While I agree that generally we need more than meat, I don't really think we are going to see problems from people over-eating in this situation. It is as you say, mostly a starvation contest. Not eating much for a week and then eating meat seems to be tearing them up. I think they are on the fringe of north for cattail? With the wet land lake type of environment, I would guess that would be a solid carb source if they are present. More than one person has mentioned berries. It would be REALLY tough to gather enough of anything before the weather comes in. I know we aren't getting to see everything, but I don't see much for stockpiles ( other than Donny's firewood pile! )

I am also of the opinion that you could give them anything they wanted for tools/gear in an ideal climate and the chances of basically two or more people making it a full year is unlikely. I would even throw in a pre-built shelter and heat source and I think people would still have a hard time. Heck, give them tools, shelter, heat, and food for a year and I bet not everyone would make it if they had to stay alone. Especially with the injury rate.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 03:05 PM
All over Europe

Thanked 8,720 Times in 2,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
I agree. It would be near impossible to be dropped in a situation like this and survive long term.

While I agree that generally we need more than meat, I don't really think we are going to see problems from people over-eating in this situation. It is as you say, mostly a starvation contest. Not eating much for a week and then eating meat seems to be tearing them up. I think they are on the fringe of north for cattail? With the wet land lake type of environment, I would guess that would be a solid carb source if they are present. More than one person has mentioned berries. It would be REALLY tough to gather enough of anything before the weather comes in. I know we aren't getting to see everything, but I don't see much for stockpiles ( other than Donny's firewood pile! )

I am also of the opinion that you could give them anything they wanted for tools/gear in an ideal climate and the chances of basically two or more people making it a full year is unlikely. I would even throw in a pre-built shelter and heat source and I think people would still have a hard time. Heck, give them tools, shelter, heat, and food for a year and I bet not everyone would make it if they had to stay alone. Especially with the injury rate.
And the fact that we are social 'animals' and being alone is nasty.
The Following User Says Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,196 Times in 568 Posts

They all appear to have inadequate stores of food.
It will be a race to see who starves towards death the slowest..thriving in this environment is unlikely.
Other causes for drop out besides starving would be illness and injury. One out already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Survivor

So what is everyone's opinion on the stomach issues that Donny was suffering from?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,026 Times in 2,406 Posts

Quote:
So what is everyone's opinion on the stomach issues that Donny was suffering from?
Any parasites should have been neutralized . That meat looked well, well done. Plus, the onset time was too fast anyway imo. My guess would be that he ate something else off camera. Some falsely identified flora and he was having a reaction to that. I honestly don't know for sure though.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Any parasites should have been neutralized . That meat looked well, well done. Plus, the onset time was too fast anyway imo. My guess would be that he ate something else off camera. Some falsely identified flora and he was having a reaction to that. I honestly don't know for sure though.
That is what I was thinking too. It could have been something as simple as bad water.

My only other thought was that he hadn't eaten for quite some time ( at least that was the impression I got ), and perhaps eating meat on a VERY empty stomach wasn't the best idea? Perhaps start with some broth and work your way up to solid food.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Survivor

Also, after throwing up and evacuating a LOT of fluids he was likely very dehydrated. That would thicken his blood up and potentially make his heart condition feel worse. You would feel terrible and then be worrying about your heart condition since you can't keep your medicine down. All in all a bad situation to be in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
That is what I was thinking too. It could have been something as simple as bad water.
This was my first thought......every season they have shown contestants drinking from pots of water coming directly off the fire. Not this season. The meat looked like it was cooked thoroughly so I immediately questioned if he was boiling his drinking water.

I really wish that at the end of an episode when someone is removed under circumstances like Donny that the producers would include a letterbox telling us what happened.

Mark
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,602 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx77 View Post
They all appear to have inadequate stores of food.
It will be a race to see who starves towards death the slowest..thriving in this environment is unlikely.
Other causes for drop out besides starving would be illness and injury. One out already.
In the scenes from future episodes someone is skinning a caribou. Considering that the temps are at a point where you can just bury the meat under some big rocks that is a crap ton of calories.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
In the scenes from future episodes someone is skinning a caribou. Considering that the temps are at a point where you can just bury the meat under some big rocks that is a crap ton of calories.
If they can indeed harvest, process, and store big game that will be huge.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...ouhunting.main

It is interesting on the yield estimates of only about 100lbs of meat.

That would be about 600 calories per pound?

60000 calories divided by 3000 calories a day is another 20 days. That doesn't sound like a ton, but in this game that will be a good advantage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,950 Times in 1,762 Posts

Humans can survive dietary deficiency a while IF they can keep their system moving.

I believe malnutrition and sleep disturbance have a lot to do with the high frequency of injury. Takes a toll on cognition and motor skills. Also has a negative impact on the immune system.

Food/water born illness is a bigger threat than many people realize. High temps kill active or vegetative cells, but many pathogen have spores that can survive and come to life as soon as the heat is gone. Contamination is also a big issue without proper handling and hygiene.

Countless things could make them sick. Pathogens exist throughout the entire environment. For example, we have occasional Tularemia (rabbit fever) outbreaks here when mange kills too many predators. You can contract it from touching contaminated soil, rocks, vegetation, etc. Supposedly it can even go airborne.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,718 Times in 5,257 Posts

Can it be watched on youtube for free?

I was busy and I missed the first 3 episodes! And, since I do not have direct TV or cox TV or any of the other set ups I do not believe that I can watch it at history.com
Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 14,975 Times in 3,664 Posts

I don't have tv and have found only small clips so far , not whole episodes .
Old 06-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
Can it be watched on youtube for free?

I was busy and I missed the first 3 episodes! And, since I do not have direct TV or cox TV or any of the other set ups I do not believe that I can watch it at history.com
You can purchase the entire season on Amazon Fire TV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 AM

in the beginning of the program it say`s these are professionals i wonder if a reg. joe like myself could go on this show - i did live in the jungles of viet nam but that was 50 yrs. ago and we did have c-rations - just curious i would like to try it
Old 06-23-2019, 05:46 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan saas View Post
in the beginning of the program it say`s these are professionals i wonder if a reg. joe like myself could go on this show - i did live in the jungles of viet nam but that was 50 yrs. ago and we did have c-rations - just curious i would like to try it
From what I remember of the taste of C rats I think I would prefer the moose poop covered mushrooms the lady found.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorn5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,014 Posts

This year the group seems accident prone.

It's just my opinion but I thought last night's Moose archery shot seemed like a pretty far distance. I don't archery hunt though so I could be completely off base.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 12:09 PM
Prepared

Taking a moose with a longbow would be difficult. Need a perfect shot and a lot of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to KODIAKHERSHEY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,926 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KODIAKHERSHEY View Post
Taking a moose with a longbow would be difficult. Need a perfect shot and a lot of luck.
Was that a longbow? ...looked like a re-curve to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 01:40 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,804 Times in 7,455 Posts

The producers actually try to prevent them from lasting very long. They don't want them out more than a couple months and when they go over that it's a problem. Production goes over budget and they lose post-production time to turn it into a show or have to delay the airing of the show. 2 months is the sweet spot where they expect to have just enough footage to make a good show. This is why they intentionally limit them in a lot of ways and run these things right at the beginning of winter, and why they are very selective about locations. They need to make sure there's not enough resources for long enough to go past the ideal amount of time. If they dropped them in resource rich areas in spring or early summer when there was lots of food and other resources available they'd have log cabins, stacks of firewood, and a storehouse full of preserved food when the place turned into a wasteland for winter.

A lot of these people could last indefinitely in many of these places if they were dropped at the right time or year, allowed to hunt and gather at will, make their own gear list, allowed to pick their own locations, etc. They're pretty much being sabotaged, which is why it turns into a starvation contest. Fattest person who's not got mental problems and isn't a wimp wins.

All that said, "The natives did it with nothing" thing isn't a legit argument. People slowly encroached into harsher and harsher climates with groups of people to allocate work to and generations of built up resources to move in with. You don't start off with nothing in winter in the arctic. You start off in a resource rich tropical climate, build up a surplus of goods and population, and that extra population spreads toward the arctic a little with each following generation with the extra goods and tools.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post: