Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,116 Times in 2,417 Posts
Default Alone Season Six

Advertise Here

Anybody watching it?
I just watched episode 1, but will wait a little longer to post spoilers. It is the NorthWest territory of Canada this year.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,136 Times in 1,791 Posts

9 People Remaining
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 PM
VIP Member

Not bad so far sorry one got hurt already.

Not saying I could do it but would like to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinD69 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Not bad so far sorry one got hurt already.

Not saying I could do it but would like to try.
Yeah, me too. I would like to have tried Patagonia or Mongolia
Old 06-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,076 Times in 2,800 Posts

This climate is going to be ROUGH, but if they can hunt large game, and it is available, that will be a huge change in the probability.

I'd love to see the hunting rules for this season.

The lake trout the one gentleman pulled with the gill net was a big win. I hope he can continue to pull big meat prior to the lake freezing over. The water looks deep enough they might continue to pull large fish out after the freeze if they can continue to get access. At those latitudes the ice will be feet thick however.

With the cold temps they aren't going to have to worry about preserving large game and fish soon. That will make large game more practical. Getting the meat up and safe will be key.

Not getting busy on a 4 season shelter early is a mistake in my opinion. In this climate, a good heated shelter will be key. To me, it looks like there is a lot of thin flat rock available. I'd be tempted to build shelter walls from that. A double wall could be created and insulated with the moss found at those latitudes if you could harvest before the freeze.

Being dumped out in that climate in September is pretty ambitions. The freeze will kill the mosquitoes which will be nice. The timing is still gonna be tough. 90 days puts them into December, ouch.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
This climate is going to be ROUGH, but if they can hunt large game, and it is available, that will be a huge change in the probability.

The lake trout the one gentleman pulled with the gill net was a big win. I hope he can continue to pull big meat prior to the lake freezing over. The water looks deep enough they might continue to pull large fish out after the freeze if they can continue to get access. At those latitudes the ice will be feet thick however.

With the cold temps they aren't going to have to worry about preserving large game and fish soon. That will make large game more practical. Getting the meat up and safe will be key.

Not getting busy on a 4 season shelter early is a mistake in my opinion. In this climate, a good heated shelter will be key. To me, it looks like there is a lot of thin flat rock available. I'd be tempted to build shelter walls from that. A double wall could be created and insulated with the moss found at those latitudes if you could harvest before the freeze.

Being dumped out in that climate in September is pretty ambitions. The freeze will kill the mosquitoes which will be nice. The timing is still gonna be tough. 90 days puts them into December, ouch.
Agreed, especially since the snow has already started. If you watched episode one already

SPOILERS
Did you guys notice all of the injuries referenced in the coming episodes? Looks like season six will be the season of injuries. Did it look like the person who caught on fire died?
Old 06-09-2019, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

I might be worried about having large game nearby. Aren’t they in bear country ?

It’s not like they have guns , bear proof coolers etc.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:36 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 15,035 Times in 3,681 Posts

I haven't watched it yet but was intrigued a woman from BC whom had also claimed to show at high level in our local jumper circuits is on it . On facebook we have only one mutual friend, whom happens to be one of the most prominent equestrians and Olympians in BC , she says she trained with for many years ( which is a feat in itself as training with them is likely about a $7k a month habit so Mom and Dad had deep pockets ), which is odd since people like Mogli on this board has 37 mutual friends and I have brutally pruned out over 700 'friends' from the horse world or we would share more . But Schyndel and I have no other shared equestrian friends and in fact she has no other equestrian friends and I find that odd. Her story about her first time camping in the woods as relayed to our provincial newspaper The Vancouver Sun :

https://vancouversun.com/entertainme...ason-of-tv-hit

" Sorry, did you just say you slept with a cougar?

“Oh yeah, a cougar,” said Schyndel, not missing a beat. “When I was first learning about nature — I had never really camped before — I was trying to face my fears of the forest so I decided I was going to go sleep in the forest with just my sleeping bag and no flashlight.”

So there she was a 25-year-old in the woods near Bellingham, Wash., questioning her choice of isolated and pine-scented self-discovery and imagining all sorts of catastrophic outcomes when a cougar plunked itself down on her sleeping bag.

“I though every wolf and bear and snake and bug was going to bite me. I was terrified. Then a cougar walked down the trail and curled up beside me and slept with me the whole night,” said van Schyndel.

While her recounting of the story had a la-dee-dah tone, she did admit at the time she was in a hold-your-breath, don’t-move-a-muscle kind of state.

“Here was my greatest fear cuddling up beside me,” said van Schyndel with a laugh. “Once I realized it was purring I kind of took a deep breath and stopped panicking as much.

“I actually fell asleep and when I woke up it was still there. It was actually hogging the bed,” said van Schyndel, adding the big cat then just got up and left."

Then this is a different account altogether where she has a very different but more realistic tone :

https://www.daisycrocket.com/glowing-eyed-cougar/

Geez louise it seems intriguing already ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I might be worried about having large game nearby. Arenít they in bear country ?

Itís not like they have guns , bear proof coolers etc.
Bears can be tasty.

The ingenious people who lived in this area didn't have guns or bear 'proof' containers either, but they did ok. I would much rather have those modern things if at all possible, and a group of people to help. I believe in the past contestants have been issued very large bear spray canisters.

In the end, LARGE game is key to making an experiment like this work. You need to gather food while you can to make it through the winter. You are not going to make it long term on small game, that is just extended fasting/starving. In conditions like this you are talking a minimum of thousands of calories a day to maintain yourself, and probably a lot more in rough shelters. JUST gathering the wood required to heat a shelter in this climate is going to be a full time job with the hand tools they have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,018 Posts

I was very impressed by the one woman they have shown so far. She spent a long time in woods living off the land and has even killed 2 bears using primitive weapons if I heard her correctly. She should do real good if she doesn't get injured along the way.

The rock along the waterways must be some real rough stuff to take out one contestant already.

Commercials do show lots of injuries this season. I'm sure the weather will factor into how long they stay.

Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 10:35 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 15,035 Times in 3,681 Posts

I still wish they would split the money such that more of the contestants , say the top 5 or the top 3 contestants all stood a chance at a share and now in the 6th year maybe up the prize money to do so . They do go through a lot of self sacrifice and I think as much or more than most entertainer sorts on tv.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM
All over Europe

Thanked 8,721 Times in 2,524 Posts

Looks to me as though they've upped the calibre of contestant this year. They all seem much more experienced, which is good, because I think the environment is the most challenging so far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Trapper

I wish they would quit the typical discovery channel garbage about how nature is going to kill you in every conversation from the contestants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorn5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
I wish they would quit the typical discovery channel garbage about how nature is going to kill you in every conversation from the contestants.
I think they do that on purpose to discourage people from going out and really experiencing nature.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Survivor

The first one out is a GREAT reminder of how susceptible we are in general to mechanical injury. If that would have happened in a real survival situation, your odds would go down dramatically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 AM
All over Europe

Well yippee, no more irritating, condescending, irrelevant repeat shots. They got the message, and it makes viewing SO much better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 AM
All over Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
I think they do that on purpose to discourage people from going out and really experiencing nature.
Nah, they're just out to hype it up, and honestly, I don't think that's necessary. I think this is about as much the real deal as possible. After two episodes, I'm very pleased with this season. Nice work so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,602 Times in 620 Posts

Spoiler ALERT

If I am teaching a survival school, I think I would try and last longer than a week
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fermion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,979 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Bears can be tasty.

The ingenious people who lived in this area didn't have guns or bear 'proof' containers either, but they did ok. I would much rather have those modern things if at all possible, and a group of people to help. I believe in the past contestants have been issued very large bear spray canisters.

In the end, LARGE game is key to making an experiment like this work. You need to gather food while you can to make it through the winter. You are not going to make it long term on small game, that is just extended fasting/starving. In conditions like this you are talking a minimum of thousands of calories a day to maintain yourself, and probably a lot more in rough shelters. JUST gathering the wood required to heat a shelter in this climate is going to be a full time job with the hand tools they have.
Indigenous people had long established lifestyles learned and lived from birth. They also had each other. Being kicked out of a tribe was likely a death sentence for most. Indigenous people in northern climates spent the entire warm season preparing for the cold season. Modern man cannot live on meat alone. Eventually it will bind up your GI tract and kill you. Game is more scarce in the cold season, but can still be found. Grains, fruits, vegetables, etc have to be collected and stored long before winter hits.

I predict this will be the shortest season yet. The contestants don't have much of a chance. I wish they would stage it in a more temperate climate and let them take whatever they choose so long as they can carry it 10 miles in a pack. Would make the show more interesting than who can withstand starvation the longest which is basically what it is now. I still like the show and look forward to it, but some small changes would definitely improve it IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Unemployed Philosopher

Good Season - Best of Luck to Then All !!!

Funny story:
I used to think I could do this... Because I dd it 30 years ago...
LMAO (now).

My Insignificant Other pointed out just because I came back from the dead one time does NOT mean it will happen again...

Dear...
Sweet...
Friend...

REALITY
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Nietzsche For This Useful Post: