Egg Jerky - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,998 Times in 19,152 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
Look up America's test kitchen French style scrambled eggs. Then dehydrate that. I bet the texture could be closer to jerky then.
Won't make a difference. When dried it will be rock hard.

You need something with much more elasticity when dry. I basically figured it out on the texture side. I just used too much seitan last time. But even if I get the texture right the taste of cold egg is just boring. By the time you have it livened up with other taste then it won't be egg tasting.

If anyone wants to play with it then go for it. It's just making seitan jerky with less water and using raw scrambled egg. Then you dunk it in boiling water to set off the seitan dough into a rubbery concoction. It's only a matter of playing with the ratios of raw scrambled egg, seitan powder, and water. Some trial and error and you'll eventually get the texture right. But the taste will still be bland cold egg chewy taste. A little dab of flavor isn't going to change that. A lot of flavor and it won't taste like egg. It's not worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.

Feel free to pick up what I've set down, if you like.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,071 Posts

What would happen if you tried to dehydrate a meringue, it wouldn't be jerky but could be interesting.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:39 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,859 Times in 4,423 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I temporarily got sidetracked. I still think this viable but, I do not know to what end. I still say it is for fun. Eggs have less protein than meat by a large margin. Of course, eggs are a complete package, where meat alone cannot even begin to compare. It is a true nutritional wonder. I am going to play with this as the weather cools. Right now, eggs are 49 cents a dozen. 20 bucks gives me room to play. LMAO
Zeke said flavor was the the main issue and his use of seitan was an 'acceptable' texture maker. Good for LTS but, not marketable. Chewing on breakfast like a jerky is what I want. We have the stable bacon and sausage jerky and of course pure, raw meat. If someone could pull this off, there is a money to be made and would be a boon for a prepper.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 11:44 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,859 Times in 4,423 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
What would happen if you tried to dehydrate a meringue, it wouldn't be jerky but could be interesting.
Dehydrated meringue is a thing and is used in culinary circles, has been for a couple/few hundred years and can be done at home. Good stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 12:32 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
It's a common confection.

Tasty, but only use whites instead of the whole egg. All that sugar doesn't exactly make it very nutritious.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:48 PM
Prepared

powdered eggs always taste like...powdered eggs to me. I suspect they are scrambled, cooked, then dehydrated either by freeze-drying or some other method.

I wonder if anyone has tried dehydrating raw eggs. Scramble them in a blender and pour them onto a dehydrator sheet and grind the resulting dried eggs into a powder for storage. They would have to be cooked later, but that seems like less of a problem than that gritty texture of the pre-cooked ones.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:44 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewallsrus View Post
powdered eggs always taste like...powdered eggs to me. I suspect they are scrambled, cooked, then dehydrated either by freeze-drying or some other method.

I wonder if anyone has tried dehydrating raw eggs. Scramble them in a blender and pour them onto a dehydrator sheet and grind the resulting dried eggs into a powder for storage. They would have to be cooked later, but that seems like less of a problem than that gritty texture of the pre-cooked ones.
You can buy raw dried egg products too.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: