Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions for reloaders 308 once fired brass fragout Rifle Forum 60 09-30-2019 09:06 PM
Military brass being reloaded and Sold??? bilmac Rifle Forum 22 04-22-2019 03:31 PM
Can you reuse media? 7.5x55 Swiss Firearms General Discussion 25 03-11-2018 03:29 AM
Caldwell AR-15 Brass Catcher Mesh Black (122231) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 03-03-2017 08:52 AM
Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr 50rd Box (5201) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-30-2017 08:36 AM

Old 05-29-2019, 05:58 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,417 Times in 3,278 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
There's not much to understand regarding brass knuckles. I'll be 69 next month and my punch doesn't carry the pop it used to. Not every situation calls for using a firearm for self-defense, so to enhance my punching power I picked up a nice pair of brass knuckles at a gun show a year or so ago.

They sell them as "paper weights," but these are not novelties. They are self-defense weapons. Brass knuckles actually protect your hand when striking your attacker. You are gripping the brass knuckles so that when you hit something only the brass knuckles are going to make contact with the target and the impact is absorbed by the palm of the hand.

In addition to self-defense, these are great for breaking car window glass to save suffocating babies and pets left in autos in the summer by their idiot parents and owners.

[IMG][/IMG]

"...That circled portion of the knuckles sits against your palm, thus the impact, instead of the force being imparted on your knuckles, is applied directly to the heel of your palm, a very difficult area to damage. And the second aspect? Just look at them. There is a very distinct gap between each of the knuckles, lowering the surface area of the impact point meaning more pressure. And what about brass? Well it might not be as hard as other metals. But it's harder than bone."

"So this all translates to: brass knuckles inherently increase the amount of pressure per punch and serve as protection. Brass knuckles are also heavy, which increases the force per punch. This all means that brass knuckles will enable you to strike as hard as you want without worrying about breaks while increasing the total pressure and force. So what damage can they wreak? They can break bones with ease, tear open skin, cause internal injuries, kill while negating most risks of personal injuries. ...

CITE: https://www.quora.com/What-damage-ca...-punch-produce
Great post.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,993 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
When I was on the job in New York back in the '70s and '80s I first carried a "classic" blackjack. I quickly switched to the "slapper" which the more senior guys recommended in the first place.

One shot from the regular jack cracked open the skell's head and there was blood all over the place. The slapper didn't open them up and there was less explaining to do, let alone less mess.

[IMG][/IMG]
`

Same reason I prefer the lead sap gloves over brass knuckles.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,715 Times in 3,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

Same reason I prefer the lead sap gloves over brass knuckles.

Lead sap gloves are heavy and you have to wear them. For someone getting older they can actually slow down your punch. Brass knuckles are light in weight, I keep them in my back pocket, and if you punch the face it won't open up your attacker - just break the bones in his face and jaw.

(You really don't want to hit him in the head unless you are aiming to kill him! LOL)

Also, brass knuckles protect the hands better than sap gloves. With sap gloves the force will still be on the bones of your knuckles and hand. With the brass knuckles all the force is absorbed in the palm.

However, to each his own. You've got to use what you are comfortable with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 12:21 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,001 Times in 1,772 Posts

Quote:
`

I don't know when they changed the law, but I ordered them from several states over back in the 80's.

You can still find retailers that will ship across state lines. A couple of them have been busted and their customers got unfriendly visits from the feds. I'd rather not go there.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:26 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,001 Times in 1,772 Posts

Having been charged, but thank God liberated by a self defense plea, I would not want to defend the use brass knuckles in a courtroom. Can of beans in a canvas grocery bag (that you were bringing home for dinner) will knock anyone out and not look so ominous to the courts. Should it matter? NO of course not, but sadly it does.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,417 Times in 3,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
Having been charged, but thank God liberated by a self defense plea, I would not want to defend the use brass knuckles in a courtroom. Can of beans in a canvas grocery bag (that you were bringing home for dinner) will knock anyone out and not look so ominous to the courts. Should it matter? NO of course not, but sadly it does.
That's because in the weak society we live in today, you get slapped with assault and battery charges for the most insignificant bs.

Everything is a weapon, and the sky is falling.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 12:46 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,306 Times in 3,620 Posts

remember you may NOT carry on a commercial plane

guy in the day taught me to grab a small mag lite and use the nib for...self defense purposes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,993 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsam View Post

guy in the day taught me to grab a small mag lite and use the nib for...self defense purposes.
`

Way back in the stone age (1970's) my dad used to walk right onto & off of commercial airliners with a 357 revolver in a shoulder holster. Fast forward to the mid 90's & I got pulled out of line after my carry on went through the X-ray & they saw one of my gun magazines (news magazines that is) sitting on top & could see the outline of the gun on the X-ray. They pulled my bag apart dug through it for 20+ minutes, kept asking me where the gun "went to" & I kept telling them they saw the image from the magazine but these weren't the brightest bulbs in the drawer. Damn near missed my flight. Always have had problems at DFW. The 2 times I've been to Love field has been splendid. I hear the Kennedy's aren't fond of it though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,683 Times in 4,341 Posts

About the last place you want to anyone with any of them is in the head. Unless of course, you want to increase the chance of killing them. Same goes for a good punch for that matter.

Like anything else, there are places on the body you want to direct your blows for the desired effect. Just flailing away, isnt going to do you much good, beyond luck, good or bad.

A lot of the "brass" knucks you see these days, are actually made of steel and plated or painted. I got a couple of sets for cheap out of China a while back for something like $10/pair. They look to be those made as belt buckles, just minus the "stud" you see on them to hold the belt. Just as functional as the old brass knucks.

I also have a couple of the old "blackjacks" or slappers. Both the flat and round spring type. Again, the head really isnt the target you want to go for with these, they are meant for joints and other tender points on the body to help you get compliance/control.

The flat, "slapper" type are a bit easier to carry and a bit more versatile, as you have different striking options. You get more damage if you use the side/edge of them as opposed to the wide flat.

In the past, we used to fill a piece of 3/4" copper pipe with a cap soldered onto one end with lead and tap a cap on the other. It was just long enough to fit in your palm, and about the size of a roll of quarters or nickels, but weighed a good bit more. At least it didnt break open like the latter when you punched something. Still, if you want to hurt your hand, this is the best way of the bunch to do it.

I think these days, the expandable batons have taken the place of a lot of these type things, and give you better options, especially if youve had some stick training.

Another thing to consider too is one of the well made autos, assisted openers, or butterflies, which can be used closed as a kubaton/yarwa stick of sorts, and still be instantly, to quickly opened if you want something more.

What Im not understanding as far as the legality thing goes is, why would you be caught with any of them on your person, if you just used them on someone and its after the fact and going to be a problem? Why are you even still there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,359 Times in 18,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsam View Post

Lots of vets have locking carabiners hanging on their day packs.

Very u seful tools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
Quote:
`

I don't know when they changed the law, but I ordered them from several states over back in the 80's.

You can still find retailers that will ship across state lines. A couple of them have been busted and their customers got unfriendly visits from the feds. I'd rather not go there.
I believe bladeHQ ships automatic knives to any legal state.

I purchased my buck auto knife from them. It’s a great knife. S30v , saber grind , g10 handle.

I won’t carry a non auto as long as I live in a legal area. 1 handed opening is so convenient. And you can get good autos from kershaw for less than 100 bucks. You can get better autos from pro tech , micro tech , buck, sog and even gerber to name a few.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,325 Times in 3,383 Posts

"What Im not understanding as far as the legality thing goes is, why would you be caught with any of them on your person, if you just used them on someone and its after the fact and going to be a problem? Why are you even still there?"

(Quote)

If you follow your plan, you wouldn't be there. But Tyson once said,
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

Whose to say, your going to win the fight? Maybe the EMTs take you to the
hospital, then they turn you over to the cops?

The important thing is, be familiar with your state laws, and city laws.
You may be in a state where you are happy that something is legal
but then the city your in has a law against it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Target Shooter

Brass Knuckles work best when used on soft parts of the body. That little bar that goes across the palm tends to direct energy into your metacarpals, and the force goes cross-ways along those little bones, not front-to-back as with a punch (which should only involve the first two knuckles as only the pointer and middle fingers are really supported in a fist). Hit something hard and you can hurt your hand quite a bit.

Still, if you know how to use 'em, any advantage in a fight is a good thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CeltKnight For This Useful Post: