Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,406 Times in 3,273 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
One of my friends has told me she is kind of addicted to Diet Coke. Most mornings, she wakes up in a fog, she says. But then she drinks half a can of Diet Coke, and it clears her mind and makes her feel more energetic. If she doesn't have some Diet Coke every day, she doesn't feel well, she says.

I said to her: "Could it be the caffeine that has such an effect on you?" She said she doesn't think so, because coffee and black tea don't affect her the same way as Diet Coke.

Has anybody here experienced this kind of thing with Diet Coke?
Diet coke and any soda is terrible for you. I quit consuming them years ago.

She should take caffeine in tea or coffee or other safe methods.

Soda is pure trash, sugar, and sugar replacements that have no business in her body.

Stay away from processed foods sugars and sweeteners as much as possible. Drink water, coffee, tea, and that's about it, outside of a cocktail or wine or something.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,744 Times in 4,667 Posts

I was a regular Pepsi snob for years. The beverage place by me had it in refillable 10 ounce bottles. To me it tasted better than Pepsi in the plastic bottles or cans. At work they had it in the soda fountain and that was pretty good. I was into maybe 20 drinks a week. I quit it a few years ago because of all the sugar it had in it.

I doubt I'll ever quit coffee. I drink at most 3 cups a day, no sugar but with half and half.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,312 Times in 3,539 Posts

Diet anything tastes absolutely disgusting. I cannot imagine voluntary drinking a bunch of diet soda. There are so many better tasting things imo. I don't like any soda really. Right now I am having Ceylon tea with some milk and a little bit of sugar. Much better
Soda addiction is a really weird thing to me, especially diet soda. There is cough medicine out there that tastes better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 2,317 Times in 834 Posts

I call BS on there being any real benefits to drinking of any type of soda. I have no doubt your friend "feels" better when she drinks one, but anyone with a dependence on a substance whether an addiction or just a habit, "feels" better once they get their fix. An alcoholic feels better once they have some alcohol in their system but that does not translate to an actual benefit.
The Following User Says Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,029 Times in 924 Posts

Caffeine has benefits. Need to stay up or poop? Caffeine helps. The rest is junk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,048 Times in 3,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverR. View Post

It's a drug. And I've never, ever seen a remotely skinny person drink it. She says it's delicious. That's a bold face lie.
I remember going over to a friend's house as a kid, and the only thing they had to drink was diet caffeine free coke and grape juice, both of which I hated (though I like grape juice now).

Diet Caffeine Free Coke is some of the worst tasting stuff ever made by man.

And both my friend and his dad were very far from skinny.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,326 Posts

It is the carbonation that's addictive. A family member drinks 2 liters of store brand flavored carbonated water a day. That's probably why I drink so much beer, too, the carbonation.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,221 Posts

I struggle with Diet Coke addiction. I even drink some right before bed or I find it hard to sleep. I have quit in the past several times, but just can't seem to stay off it. I used to drink normal Coke and hated the diet stuff or any off brands, then after living in Germany (the Cola situation there is messed up) I got used diet and now find it hard to drink regular Coke. My absolute preferred drink now is Diet Coke from fast food fountain machines as they tend to be less carbonated and less sweet, but I can drink liters of that without even noticing.

Like most addictions there are no actual upsides;
- Rather than the caffeine being a short term pick me up, now it is needed just to function at semi normal levels
- I drink less clean plain water and take in more "bad stuff" this puts pressure on liver and kidneys
- If I don't have access for an extended period of time I can get grumpy with people who do not deserve it (my kids for example)
- - I try very hard not to do this btw but even that is an energy draining activity
- Although there is no sugar the sweeteners confuse your biology increasing hunger and contribute to weight gain anyway
- I don't live in the states and here Coke is often more expensive than beer or other healthier alternatives (let alone water) so I am wasting money
- I like the taste but I avoid other drinks and I like the taste of those also

Note: I am not addicted to caffeine or even carbonation I have tried alternative caffeine sources and it didn't help and I will drink flat diet cola if it is all I have.

P.S. In a couple of weeks I will be starting a diet again, as part of that I will probably try to kick the Coke at the same time. Wish me luck if you like.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TekGremlin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,020 Times in 740 Posts

Simply put, it creates a state of acidosis in the body. Acidosis is one of the basic foundations that is needed for any disease to grow and flourish.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,061 Posts

I would say I am addicted to Mtn Dew. And it isn't just the caffeine. It is the sugar, the fizz, the caffeine and the convince. To cut down on how much soda I drink I make large batches of slightly sweet tea then put it in jars in the fridge. I am much more likely to drink it if I can grab it now rather than put on a tea pot to boil now and be able to enjoy it in an hour when it is finally cooled off.

Although even then I miss the fizz. I sometimes mix the tea with 25% super fizzey kombucha and bottle it. That way I get the caffeine, the fizz, the convince about 1/5 the sugar and I get the enjoyment of cracking the bottle top and hearing the poof of the escaping co2. The problem is I don't keep a batch of kombucha constantly being made so often run out.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,014 Posts

I am 2 weeks into quitting my Diet Coke addiction. I drank the Diet Coke with Splenda version. I was drinking 7 to 10 cans a day minimum and now I only drink some with food so I'm down to 3 cans a day.

Something I've noticed though......I now wake up during the night feeling dehydrated (my fingers feel swollen). If I drink a half bottle of water, the swollen feeling is immediately gone. One of my fingers (middle one on the left hand) also has pain like I need to pop the joint but it won't pop is the only way I can describe it.

The only reason I think the 2 are linked is I've never had the dehydrated feeling in the middle of the night with finger pain while drinking a ton of Diet Coke, only since I have limited my consumption.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 05:11 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,058 Times in 4,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverR. View Post
She says it's delicious. That's a bold face lie.
I absolutely love the taste of it, but only when it's fresh. It may be a personal thing, but I can't think of anything I'd rather drink.

I keep my consumption down to an occasional Diet Coke, and instead try to go natural as much as possible.

I have a reverse osmosis system that makes super clean water with only 5ppm TDS. It's really good tasting, but I prefer Diet Coke.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 30,935 Times in 8,949 Posts

I read somewhere that some drs think that diet drinks were the cause of Gulf War Syndrome. From what I read that because there wasn't much water they shipped diet drinks of all kinds out there that sat in that hot air and sun for weeks and turned to formaldehyde.

Here is a link discussing it. Took me a minute or 2 to find it.

http://gulfweb.org/doc_show.cfm?ID=28
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,265 Times in 18,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchavasu View Post
I call BS on there being any real benefits to drinking of any type of soda. I have no doubt your friend "feels" better when she drinks one, but anyone with a dependence on a substance whether an addiction or just a habit, "feels" better once they get their fix. An alcoholic feels better once they have some alcohol in their system but that does not translate to an actual benefit.
Sometimes when I need a pain pill I drink an energy drink or soda (not diet)

Gets it through the bloodstream quicker.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,938 Times in 7,972 Posts

Nomad, I will drink a very cold diet soda and have a sweet pastry with my Excedrin when I have a migraine. It is very effective.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,020 Times in 740 Posts

Read this today.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/985409...-stroke-death/