Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ashen Horse Update Bret F Books, Movies & Stories 8 06-15-2019 02:49 PM
U.S. Energy Dept balks at Trump request for names on climate change woodzman Political News and Discussion 56 12-22-2016 08:23 AM
trade war starting with Climate Change? Justme11 General Discussion 27 11-21-2016 01:29 PM
Mountain Man you out there? : ) MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 12 10-26-2016 06:07 PM

Old 04-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,633 Times in 10,381 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I see that no one has explained glacier formation, and the affect of floating shore ice on ocean levels.

Antarctica is a Big damn continent, with very high mountain ranges. When a portion of the glacier ice gets pushed from these mountains, down to the ocean level, this indicates that more ice has accumulated in the mountains, not less.

If the total amount of glacier ice in Antarctica was being reduced, you would see the ice melting back from the ocean shore, leaving the terminal moraine behind.

You might try studying geology.
Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
Nah I actually have spent hundreds of hours on the Antarctic ice issue and it is you that really doesn't get it.
Building yourself up as an authority without basis and putting someone down in one sentence. Nice.

Quote:
Antarctica is breaking apart, and the glaciers in some areas are prone to rapid loss
There is a difference between a viable scientific hypothesis and politically motivated rationalizations that sound plausible ... Evidence.
Antarctic ice growing, not melting
List of growing glaciers
Global warming predictions proven wrong 97.4% of the time
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,266 Posts

I recall a peer reviewed paper published before the days of PC in which the author correlated polar ice packs with precipitation. Essentially warmer ocean years resulted in greater snows which add to ice packs, the bottom line was that climate changes are are cyclic. We know that climate does change else we would still be in an ice age. The "chicken little" scares will come and go but the only change politicians will make is our bank accounts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,073 Times in 2,800 Posts

Quote:

Your simple physics seem to omit the properties of water and the geology of glaciers and ice shelves. But that's ok you can stay ignorant. Obviously as said you don't seem to understand that glaciers and ice shelves rest on land and the continental shelf.
What part?
What is an ice shelf?
Ice shelves are permanent floating sheets of ice that connect to a landmass.

From.

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/iceshelves.html

It is FLOATING. This isn't a hard concept to grasp. Once it is floating. It has displaced ALL the sea water it is going to displace.

If you want to talk about GLACIAL ice that is a different structure.

Quote:
Ice and water volume are not the same. Sorry you might want to learn abit before thinking you have any clue what you are talking about.
Correct. Actually ice floats because it EXPANDS in volume when it freezes. This is a fairly unique property to water taught in most schools.
The water will actually take up LESS volume when it melts ( with some minor salinity difference in the case of salt water )

Quote:
Come on learn a bit about what you are talking about. This discussion is pointless until you actual know the physical characteristics of ice shelves. You are just totally clueless yet you want to put forth these ideas to support a climate change denial but you are just creating an imaginary world where things exist in an alternate form to how they actually exist.
An imaginary world where basic laws of physics apply? Then yes.

Quote:
These things aren't a coating of ice on the water they are 50 meters plus into the air. They can be up to 1000 meters, like half a mile in thickness. 68% of water is held in glaciers and ice sheets and its release will 100% increase water levels in the ocean.
What are you smoking?

All the ICE in the world is less than 2% of the total volume of water on this planet ( it is 68% of FRESH water on the planet ).
Last time I checked, we have a LOT of salt water. I know this unfortunate for your theory of 100% raising the ocean and all the other scare tactics.

Here you go.....numbers.....

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/watercycleice.html

Oh....1.7% of total water....even less than I remembered.

Quote:
Learn about iceshelves please and come back, stop the nonsense climate denial.

bear in mind our changes are off the chart in terms of past changes in terms of change of pace.
You first.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,293 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobytes View Post
You make a good point! However, consider that scientist receive grant money to conduct their studies, and it would be very easy and probable for the benefactors of the scientist to indicate or demand a certain slant or a skewing of the data to obtain a predetermined outcome. It is also easy for the benefactors to shop for scientist that are willing participants in their deception. I have heard the claim made that many of the data collection points are positioned in a location that are meant to register higher temperatures in order to drive up the overall data averages. One example I have heard used is that many of the data collection points are located adjacent to or in the middle of a large paved parking lot that is black tar and collects and radiates back out higher temperatures than the surrounding natural environments. It is all suspicious data and I cannot accept their findings at face value. .
I never finished my PhD, but Im acquainted with how science funding works. Scientists are only human and want their field to be in the limelight. They are not immune to the above effect. They *have* to publish and *have* to get grants.

The harvard sugar study is a perfect example of scientists publishing something false that has had huge impact on american health for the last 60 years.

Im not anti or pro, I personally havent looked at any data. I generally do trust scientists, but also have skepticism. For example when AIDS was big news, I felt like the impact was way overblown, to get funding.

Climate change is pretty much irrelevant to me, as like pretty much all liberals I know, Im not changing my behavior based on the data, so who cares? If liberals really believed in it, they would radically change their lives. They aren't so Im not either.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,503 Times in 5,622 Posts

One of the more accurate titles I've seen in quite a while. The boogey man of climate change.

Quote:
Bogeyman is a common allusion to a mythical creature in many cultures used by adults to frighten children into good behavior. This monster has no specific appearance, and conceptions about it can vary drastically from household to household within the same community; in many cases, it has no set appearance in the mind of an adult or child, but is simply a non-specific embodiment of terror.
A made up entity that the people in charge use to strike terror in the hearts of children in order to change their behavior.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
One of the more accurate titles I've seen in quite a while. The boogey man of climate change.

Quote:
Bogeyman is a common allusion to a mythical creature in many cultures used by adults to frighten children into good behavior. This monster has no specific appearance, and conceptions about it can vary drastically from household to household within the same community; in many cases, it has no set appearance in the mind of an adult or child, but is simply a non-specific embodiment of terror.
A made up entity that the people in charge use to strike terror in the hearts of children in order to change their behavior.
As a mechanism of control and wealth transfer also.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,503 Times in 5,622 Posts

Like the boogeyman's varying appearance, climate change can be anything depending on the speaker and the recipient. It's cooling, warming, raining, drought, flood, famine, hurricanes, tornadoes, nice weather in Alaska, snow in Georgia, more food in the wrong places, less food in the right places, etc, etc, etc.

Their main problem was they focused on cooling for decades, and then warming for decades, and neither proved out to the extent they warned us about. They made their boogeyman too specific and too local. "Warmer temps causing rising sea levels in Florida" is too specific. "Global climate differences causing floods somewhere" is better.

The more generic your boogeyman the more power you have to let the other person's imagination fill in the gaps.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
WilliamAshley
These things aren't a coating of ice on the water they are 50 meters plus into the air. They can be up to 1000 meters, like half a mile in thickness. 68% of water is held in glaciers and ice sheets and its release will 100% increase water levels in the ocean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
What are you smoking?

All the ICE in the world is less than 2% of the total volume of water on this planet ( it is 68% of FRESH water on the planet ).
Good catch! Facts don't matter to these chicken littles. WilliamAshley does not even realize global warming and more CO2 would be good for life on the planet, especially human life.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,882 Times in 605 Posts

The Rocky Mountains were created by a slowly moving, melting glacier. Kansas used to be ocean. Coal used to be vegetation. Stuff changes over time.
I watch a lot of stuff about the Artic on Netflix. I'm pretty sure the actors are paid a bonus for every time they use the phrase "global warming" or "climate change" or whatever the current fad is.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,028 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Good catch! Facts don't matter to these chicken littles. WilliamAshley does not even realize global warming and more CO2 would be good for life on the planet, especially human life.

Yep, everything fine, unchanging and sustainable - no need to prep.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post

Plenty of reasons to prep without inventing new ones. Not falling into the trap of man made climate change used to control and tax us even more is important.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,233 Times in 6,772 Posts

Quote:
NO ONE said that. Not one of us.

Nice straw man. I notice that is what leftists do when their "argument" is blowing up due to a lack of reality.

So...you are admitting you have nothing? A smart man folds when his bluff is called, before he gets in too deep.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
LOL. That is the argument now; IF ONE THING is not fine, unchanging and sustainable, then you ought to support global control of energy?!
Old 04-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,307 Posts

yea but, if we raise taxes especially on America (Americans) we can stop this. It's the only hope we have.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,266 Posts

And if anyone really believes in AGW surely they would buy no products made in China since China is the greatest polluter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Target Shooter

Just to point out once more how Glowbull Warmingists slither back into the shadows when the appeals to authority fail as a tactic, let's see what kind of response we get from all those who rely on the "peer reviewed" studies as being authoritative and the be-all and end-all when used as "proof" of their favorite fantasies.
Here's what happens when a "name" research institute publishes and it's repeated without question by those who keep promoting the Global Warmening hoax. Even "Nature" ran with this without doin' their own basic homework. Why should we ever again believe anything from them? Haven't they blown their own credibility so badly that they should fold, out of whatever remaining sense of shame they possess? And Scripps used to be the gold standard. The best they can come up with is, thanks for pointin' out our error. Sorry we rushed to publish and didn't even do any checking. Shouldn't they vow to never again trust any of the "peers" who reviewed said paper?
Remember, this stuff is still all based on computer models. Must be nice when you can throw out the data that disagree with your pet theory, huh? What ever happened to real science, based on observation?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bugbor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

Nice straw man. I notice that is what leftists do when their "argument" is blowing up due to a lack of reality.

So...you are admitting you have nothing? A smart man folds when his bluff is called, before he gets in too deep.
I have the scientific consensus and the evidence in yearly record breaking weather conditions.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
And if anyone really believes in AGW surely they would buy no products made in China since China is the greatest polluter.
But China didn't pull out of the Paris agreement, the US did.
So, maybe don't buy US products.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
yea but, if we raise taxes especially on America (Americans) we can stop this. It's the only hope we have.
They have never needed any excuse to raise taxes and never will.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

It's a good response to the strawman - the sky is falling.