Poor man slugs and buck - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turning bird shot into buck/ slugs John_Auberry DIY - Do It Yourself 37 01-27-2019 03:50 PM

Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,265 Times in 3,345 Posts
Default Poor man slugs and buck

Advertise Here

We talked about it a while back and a few of you guys was wanting to see pictures.
I take cheap bird shot that cost 19 cent and make slugs and buck.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:41 AM
Crazy

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:42 AM
Crazy

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 AM
Crazy

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:44 AM
Crazy

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,307 Posts

awesome, is that a new roll crimper?
The Following User Says Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 06:12 AM

I went to my local lead place and found out that they don't sell raw lead so I bought a 25 lb bag of number 5. I has also casted as slugs but not tried to do buck shot.

Price wise I decided reloading anything other than slugs just isn't worth the effort. But that's me here in Canada where wheel weights have all dried up and reloading components aren't cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 06:35 AM
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
awesome, is that a new roll crimper?
Yea itís a cheap Russian one from eBay
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 AM
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmerc View Post
I went to my local lead place and found out that they don't sell raw lead so I bought a 25 lb bag of number 5. I has also casted as slugs but not tried to do buck shot.

Price wise I decided reloading anything other than slugs just isn't worth the effort. But that's me here in Canada where wheel weights have all dried up and reloading components aren't cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Same here. I use bird shot I get from the grocery store. I pay about 19cent each.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,014 Times in 448 Posts

John Aubrey thanks for this. I hadn't seen those roll crimpers before. I may have to get one. I don't shoot shotguns much so I just buy my shells except for 410. I do reload those. I have lots of once fired hulls. I bought a roll crimper from BPI and a .395 mold from Lee and load 3 ball loads for 410. I also load all the bird shot loads in 410.

Twelve and twenty I just shoot the factory stuff but opening a shot load and replacing with slugs and buck makes a lot of sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
John Aubrey thanks for this. I hadn't seen those roll crimpers before. I may have to get one. I don't shoot shotguns much so I just buy my shells except for 410. I do reload those. I have lots of once fired hulls. I bought a roll crimper from BPI and a .395 mold from Lee and load 3 ball loads for 410. I also load all the bird shot loads in 410.

Twelve and twenty I just shoot the factory stuff but opening a shot load and replacing with slugs and buck makes a lot of sense.
I have a bpi drill press crimper but I saw the hand one online. It’s made by forest camping and came from Russia. It works really well.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Crazy

As far as buck I wish I had got the #4 mold instead of 00. After watching videos of #4 I honestly think it’s better. Plus #4 stacks well in 20g and 12g.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,645 Times in 8,756 Posts

At normal shotgun range #4 is awesome, at twice normal range the OO is more effective.

I think the proper stacking size for a 20 gauge is #3 buckshot. Sort of hard to tell exactly these days because of the one piece plastic wads and the plastic cases vs. metal ones and card wads.

The only 3" shells I buy are the 41 pellets of #4 or the 18 plated buffered OO

A fairly effective slug can be manufactured by just opening the case and pouring in melted wax or even tallow during colder weather. Much better than "cut rounds"

I really like the Lyman Sabot slug, 1.25 oz. I shoot it from my 870 Express smooth bore. I put a mid-bead in the rib to serve as the real sight. 3# coffee cans at 90 yards are toast - they could take big game, especially when cast hard.

added You leave the shot in place and make it a slug with the melted wax. Small game at short range can be taken with just wax bullets powered by the primer. Grouse in a tree with a 44 mag for example.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,014 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
As far as buck I wish I had got the #4 mold instead of 00. After watching videos of #4 I honestly think it’s better. Plus #4 stacks well in 20g and 12g.
I like the #4 myself. Thats what my 20ga factory buck is loaded with. I don't know if I should get the mold or go to BPI and get the bottle of #4 and just be done with it. And I have a good supply of lead. Around 1,400 pounds IIRC. In my 20ga I also load two .54 caliber balls (.530) for a double ball load. To do this I have to use a Remington SP-20 wad. It doesn't have the fingers on the insides of the shot petals.

I would like to load some buck & ball loads with #4 and a single .530 ball. I just have to come up with some #4 shot.

When using my BPI ro;; crimper I chuck it up in a drill motor or a drill press. I pre heat it with a propane torch. I wait till I have 25 shells to crimp and then do them all at once. that way the roll crimper stays hot and makes a better crimp. I even made a special wood block with a shell squeezer to keep the shells from trying to turn in my hand.

This shows to have 2600 pellets in an 8lb jug. That would hold me for a while.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Su...uctinfo/SBK04/
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
We talked about it a while back and a few of you guys was wanting to see pictures.
I take cheap bird shot that cost 19 cent and make slugs and buck.
I've had a similar idea rolling around in my head for some time now.
Empty the shot from several shells and use it to melt down and recast as slugs, then reload slugs into shells shot originally came from.
I figure if you start with hi-brass "Duck & Pheasant" loads, the end result should work pretty good as a poor man's deer hunting round.
Thank you for validating my idea John. -b

DCman
Old 03-24-2019, 11:35 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,008 Times in 7,732 Posts

Possibly a good skill to have, but inexpensive factory buck is about 30-35 certs per. So the savings is literally pennies for the many hours of labor and special tooling involved.

Net loss financially IMO but a good thing to know how to do I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,307 Posts

''A fairly effective slug can be manufactured by just opening the case and pouring in melted wax or even tallow during colder weather.''

Years ago I read a story about a old woodsman that used wax slugs for all his big game hunting. It was a good read. The story was from a old magazine, probably from the 1940s or so. It was written by a fella that met this guy when he was a kid. The old woodsman was one of those old coots that lived by himself in a shack in the woods.
I could not find any reference to wax slugs after that until the internet came about.
I have often wondered how well they worked.

On another note I noticed Midway has 12 gauge primed hulls for $14.95 a hundred. Not really necessary but not a bad price either. Those hulls are clear.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Hunter

One problem with wax slugs is that it is premeditated, being that your intention on going out is to use the slug to get some meat.
If your intention, is to use your shotgun to go get meat, best to use a proper slug.
This is the nice thing about cut shells, which was the alternative to wax slugs back then.
You could take your shotgun out with the intention of getting some kind of fowl or possibly small game (i.e., using the shotgun as it was designed, which is to shoot a round loaded with small pellets which disperse upon exiting the barrel), when all of a sudden a nice 4-point makes himself available to you, and at close range!
No rifle, no sidearm, no bullets...what to do?!
If you knew how to make a cut shell slug, you could simply unload the round in your gun, take your knife and slice it into a cut shell, reload the round and take down the deer.
This is the true beauty, if not the intention, of using a cut shell. It's an easy and "instantaneous" change one can make to your gun to suit the situation, as it presents itself to you, in real time.
Even a "Rabbit & Squirrel" load in 12 ga. will generate enough power, in cut shell form, to take down a deer...if you're using something a little more powerful, all the better.

DCman
Old 03-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,819 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMan View Post
If you knew how to make a cut shell slug, you could simply unload the round in your gun, take your knife and slice it into a cut shell, reload the round and take down the deer...DCman
NOT a good idea. Cut shells were done originally with paper shells, in the early 1900's. Early experimenters ringed paper shells with a tubing cutter forward of the Nitro card or "over powder" card in the paper shell.

During WW2 the British Army conducted experiments with cut shells for possible use by the Home Guard. The Home Guard Manual (1941) contains explict warnings against the practice because quite often firing a ringed shell leaves a portion of either the paper case body, or a wad lodged partway down the barrel, leaving an obstruction. Unless you are diligent in checking the bore after each shot, and clear the bore with a brush and rod, you are asking for a burst barrel.

Today's plastic shotshell outside diameters vary in size from .780" to .795" for a 12 ga. Pushing that mass through a bore and choke that varies from .740" at the forcing cone on down to the choke area which could be .690" or less in diameter (I.E. full choke in a 12 ga. is typically .690) is an exercise that could certainly be debated on its safety merits, or lack of.

It is much safer to open the folded crimp, dump out the shot, and load a home-cast slug from one of the Lee molds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,008 Times in 7,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMan View Post
One problem with wax slugs is that it is premeditated, being that your intention on going out is to use the slug to get some meat.
If your intention, is to use your shotgun to go get meat, best to use a proper slug.
This is the nice thing about cut shells, which was the alternative to wax slugs back then.
You could take your shotgun out with the intention of getting some kind of fowl or possibly small game (i.e., using the shotgun as it was designed, which is to shoot a round loaded with small pellets which disperse upon exiting the barrel), when all of a sudden a nice 4-point makes himself available to you, and at close range!
No rifle, no sidearm, no bullets...what to do?!
If you knew how to make a cut shell slug, you could simply unload the round in your gun, take your knife and slice it into a cut shell, reload the round and take down the deer.
This is the true beauty, if not the intention, of using a cut shell. It's an easy and "instantaneous" change one can make to your gun to suit the situation, as it presents itself to you, in real time.
Even a "Rabbit & Squirrel" load in 12 ga. will generate enough power in cut shell form to take down a deer...if you're using something a little more powerful, all the better.

DCman
Slugs are .50 cents. Why not just bring a few on the hunting trip?

Far more reliable and accurate too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post: