Storing shotgun action open - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Keltec (not quite ready for Combat) KSG Shotgun Indra Shotgun Forum 6 10-28-2017 12:33 PM
Winchester SXP Black Shadow 12ga Pump Action Shotgun (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 06-02-2017 03:13 PM
MagTech 45F Cowboy Action .45 LC 200GR LFN 50RD BOX Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-17-2017 11:20 AM
Ithica 37 Featherlight 16ga Pump Action Shotgun (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-16-2017 11:26 AM

Old 03-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,996 Times in 7,732 Posts
Default Storing shotgun action open

Advertise Here

Last night I in doing some training with my pump shotgun, I discovered that you can +1 capacity of a pump shotgun by storing it action open, with a shell on the elevator. Basically, you 1/2 pump it to open it, and top off the magazine with another shell. Or you can manually prevent a shell from loading, and just drop a shell in thru the breach/opening.

This basically adds one to capacity, while being a drop safety measure. The gun is ready to go, just push the forearm forward and it's ready to fire.

Looking around the web, I've not seen this discussed anywhere else. But some people keep the action open to allow better air circulation in humid climates, to deter rust, and/or for added safety as I've discussed.

Does anyone else do this, heard of this, or read of this?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,584 Times in 628 Posts

My brother does, and actually "half-pumps" it every time he's walking back to the rig, for some reason. Don't know if he doesn't trust the safety or what, never really asked him about it.

Can't speak to storage, but it makes sense.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,907 Times in 871 Posts

I would be very cautious of this wherever mud daubers or other nesting insects are plentiful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Lead,

Only problem would be if you accidentally pulled back it would try and load another leading to Jam. At least on most pumps.

Dan
Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danr620 View Post
Lead,

Only problem would be if you accidentally pulled back it would try and load another leading to Jam. At least on most pumps.

Dan
Can't pull it back. It only goes forward.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 PM

Living in Canada we can NOT leave a shotgun stored while loaded. In addition it must be either trigger/cable locked if stored in a closet or under a bed OR it's can be stored in a locked cabinet/safe.

Many people store their pump shotgun in a cabinet with chamber open and shells on the shelf (this a also legal). You can go from laying in bed to having your unloaded shotgun in your left hand and velcro shell holder in your right in about 15 seconds if you practice. You then drop a shell in the action and close it and you are immediately ready to shoot if necessary. You can then continue to push shells into the magazine as long as the situation allows.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:11 PM

While I'm hiking in Bear country with a shotgun, many people recommend carrying the shotgun with the magazine full, the chamber empty and closed and having pulled the trigger AND the safety OFF.

The reason for this logic is that manipulating something small like a safety is very difficult when your adrenaline is going but pumping the gun is a gross motor movement and should be easier to do correctly when facing down a large bear.

This guy explains it better.

https://youtu.be/r3Bl-r0U6vw

I believe this is better than what you're suggesting.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:19 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,517 Times in 8,717 Posts

All guns are treated as loaded, so they might as well be IMHO. Full with the safety on is how my 870 lives in the house or on my back. I don't have kids or inexperience people touching my weapons.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmerc View Post
While I'm hiking in Bear country with a shotgun, many people recommend carrying the shotgun with the magazine full, the chamber empty and closed and having pulled the trigger AND the safety OFF.

The reason for this logic is that manipulating something small like a safety is very difficult when your adrenaline is going but pumping the gun is a gross motor movement and should be easier to do correctly when facing down a large bear.

This guy explains it better.

https://youtu.be/r3Bl-r0U6vw

I believe this is better than what you're suggesting.

You're not understanding what I'm explaining. Also, I'm discussing STORING shotgun ready, not hiking with a shotgun.

What you've described is commonly known as "Cruiser Ready." https://www.wideopenspaces.com/cruis...-your-shotgun/

I'm describing a storage option - let's call it "Cruiser Plus" where it's "Cruiser Ready" but with the action open and an EXTRA shell sitting on the elevator so the throw is faster and simplier - just forward. This would seem to add +1 capacity over Cruiser Ready, and also be easier/faster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,632 Times in 4,323 Posts

I agree with Charlie. If youre going to leave it "loaded", might as well leave it fully loaded. Whats the difference? If youre worried about kids or anyone else, I doubt an open action is going to be a deterrence, and it seems it would allow for the possibilty of more problems, than it woiuld help.

I dont leave loaded guns of any type lying around. I have a few in lock boxes, and I do keep an AR with a loaded mag "on" the gun, not in it, when Im home.

The best way I know to keep a shotgun loaded is in an electric cruiser rack. They are easily and securely mounted in many places, and are button activated. The button, while in arms reach (you can leave the delay relay in the circuit, for one hand operation, or take it out, which makes it a two-handed proposition), isnt at the gun, and its easily hidden. AC and a battery backup, and its always accessible.

I kept one like that as my kids were growing up. Never once had an issue, not that I would have even if I left it loaded on the bed. It was more if someone got in when we were out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
You're not understanding what I'm explaining. Also, I'm discussing STORING shotgun ready, not hiking with a shotgun.

What you've described is commonly known as "Cruiser Ready." https://www.wideopenspaces.com/cruis...-your-shotgun/

I'm describing a storage option - let's call it "Cruiser Plus" where it's "Cruiser Ready" but with the action open and an EXTRA shell sitting on the elevator so the throw is faster and simplier - just forward. This would seem to add +1 capacity over Cruiser Ready, and also be easier/faster.
Yea. That's why my OTHER reply was about storage. :-)

Old 03-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,809 Times in 663 Posts

You won't damage the shotgun by doing this and it should not cause a problem. If you are comfortable with that arrangement then why not? Train till it's second nature.

I've never seen anyone do that but if it solves a problem for you and it's secure... rock on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tdog02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 40,554 Times in 9,646 Posts

I'll agree with you and some of the others as far leaving a shell ready to be chambered.......if that's what works for you then do it

I've never heard about leaving chambers open to prevent rust. I think it's something that would be very nominal in a situation where rust could be an issue.

There are more effective ways to combat the rust issue, if that is a primary concern

I'm kind of old school, I always close the actions and leave the hammer down for storage. Something my dad taught me eons ago. Trust me, I've heard the debates on "spring tension". Old habits die hard!

It really won't take that long to start loading and chambering stored weapons

My go to gun(s) though, are well.........good to go!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,693 Times in 13,351 Posts

The only problem I see is that if you need to go into action, you would just go Schuuck prior to firing.

Normally, for a shotgun to be fully effective, the preferred method is to go Schick-Schuuck.

If you are more concerned with real firepower over Hollywood pseudoscience, it may be a plan.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,517 Times in 8,717 Posts

Spring steel from the 1930's on is usually very good. Leaving weapons cocked or magazines full doesn't hurt anything. Snapping them empty has more potential for harm especially rimfires where the firing pin can contact the chamber.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,337 Times in 510 Posts

Wouldn't the preferred method be Click! Boom! Schick-Schuuck! - Boom! again, if needed?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,602 Times in 1,693 Posts

With my luck....the shell positioned on the lifter would just fall out or jam when I needed it the most in a hurry. Keep one in the chamber........keep the safety on.......and keep your dam finger off the trigger!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,632 Times in 4,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
With my luck....the shell positioned on the lifter would just fall out or jam when I needed it the most in a hurry. Keep one in the chamber........keep the safety on.......and keep your dam finger off the trigger!
Thats what I was thinking. Really not seeing any benefit to doing whats being suggested, and any number of things going wrong.

For me, this is just another reason not to even bother with a shotgun, or at least the tube fed versions.

Just a lot easier to deal with a mag fed gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Thats what I was thinking. Really not seeing any benefit to doing whats being suggested, and any number of things going wrong.

For me, this is just another reason not to even bother with a shotgun, or at least the tube fed versions.

Just a lot easier to deal with a mag fed gun.
I prefer a shotgun for home defense as I live in a townhouse and have kids. Over penetration is a concern. Based in a lot of research and the size of my unit I have turkey load on hand for the purpose.

I do like the idea of a mag fed semi for the job though!

The Following User Says Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Prepared

After 125 years of American pump shotguns, you're the first to figure this out?

You've NEVER heard it recommended before?

Maybe there's a reason no respected self defense guru has this on their instruction sheet?
The Following User Says Thank You to fflincher For This Useful Post: