Any Mauser guys here? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1895 Mauser 7mm Plasma1010 Rifle Forum 21 06-08-2019 12:13 AM
Worlds fittest soldier? sixtus General Discussion 76 04-03-2019 08:12 AM
Hey guys Dock Books, Movies & Stories 3 06-25-2018 06:50 AM
Helpful tips for solar new guys - post your tips here budgetprepp-n DIY - Do It Yourself 230 11-26-2016 07:19 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 PM
goat daddy goat daddy is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,211
Thanks: 3,237
Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman60 View Post
A local shop has a Swede 1896 for $600 that I am trying to avoid....What I really need is a light Kit gun cause all my hardware is heavy. Hopefully I can get one at the gun show this weekend.
The swede is a great rifle. the 6.5 X55 is near perfect for most game in the U.S. I really like the 6.5. I have limited experience with the 6.5 as the largest game that I have shot is a 300# boar at 125 yards. one shot, went down in 30 yards. I have multiple rifles in 6.5. I have more than one mauser. Mausers are easy to work on and they are great,. My vote is to go for the swede
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Bluesman60 Bluesman60 is offline
Hunter/Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: west of the Rockies
Posts: 596
Thanks: 1,669
Thanked 791 Times in 250 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
The swede is a great rifle. the 6.5 X55 is near perfect for most game in the U.S. I really like the 6.5. I have limited experience with the 6.5 as the largest game that I have shot is a 300# boar at 125 yards. one shot, went down in 30 yards. I have multiple rifles in 6.5. I have more than one mauser. Mausers are easy to work on and they are great,. My vote is to go for the swede
Goat Daddy, I hear you... but I already have a K-98 and a Tikka T-3 in 7mm Rem Mag. I need a light revolver for me nightly walks with the dog, for my upland vest or fishing vest cause my pistols are too heavy.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 PM
9mmMike's Avatar
9mmMike 9mmMike is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,376
Thanks: 263
Thanked 13,075 Times in 3,462 Posts
Default

I picked up a Yugo and converted it for hunting. I know, sacrilege, but this had no collectible value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B02E4B3D-638E-4B77-B46D-F2F7F8A62D99.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	287730  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2019, 09:49 PM
ForgedInTheFlame's Avatar
ForgedInTheFlame ForgedInTheFlame is online now
Fix Bayonets!
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4,951
Thanks: 18,522
Thanked 7,410 Times in 3,275 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
I picked up a Yugo and converted it for hunting. I know, sacrilege, but this had no collectible value.
She's a beaut.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 02:12 AM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,726
Thanks: 24,402
Thanked 58,274 Times in 18,924 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
I picked up a Yugo and converted it for hunting. I know, sacrilege, but this had no collectible value.
Neither did Singer 1911's when they sold them for $12.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 AM
9mmMike's Avatar
9mmMike 9mmMike is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,376
Thanks: 263
Thanked 13,075 Times in 3,462 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Neither did Singer 1911's when they sold them for $12.
Then by my actions I made the other non-converted rifles more valuable, you should thank me.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 01:30 PM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,726
Thanks: 24,402
Thanked 58,274 Times in 18,924 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
Then by my actions I made the other non-converted rifles more valuable, you should thank me.
For destroying history and spending money to make a rifle less valuable???


I mean: it's yiurs, you can do what you want (obviously) but I laugh at the people who cut upv<$100 rifles that are now (10 years later) worth ~$1k

Buddy had a rare Swedish 6.5 Calvary Carbine used to be like that.
Seen quite a few Finnish Mosins too...


Perhaps because why dad was a history teacher.... I am spending some money to have the dozer go around and leave alone the 1840's homestead site on my property.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:36 PM
0002S's Avatar
0002S 0002S is offline
μολὼν λαβέ
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,018
Thanks: 2,348
Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,684 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
For destroying history and spending money to make a rifle less valuable???


I mean: it's yiurs, you can do what you want (obviously) but I laugh at the people who cut upv<$100 rifles that are now (10 years later) worth ~$1k

Buddy had a rare Swedish 6.5 Calvary Carbine used to be like that.
Seen quite a few Finnish Mosins too...


Perhaps because why dad was a history teacher.... I am spending some money to have the dozer go around and leave alone the 1840's homestead site on my property.
I completely agree. The only time I will have anything custom built on a Mauser action is if the rifle is bubba'd to begin with. At that point I'm only taking the action.

Unmolested surplus is hard to find now. Even arsenal rebuild surplus is getting hard to find for reasonable prices.

It's sad how in the last 50 years the market is almost dried up of WWII German, American, and Brit rifles. The Russians are almost as bad now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 07:58 PM
goat daddy goat daddy is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,211
Thanks: 3,237
Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

I have more than one mauser. Some are pristine factory. Some are sporterized. I have a few parts mausers waiting for sporterizing. I really like 6.5 swede. the sporterized rifle get shot several times a year and may get more as I loaded some lead free projectiles. the military rifles? they have not had a bullet through them in years. bottom line, which is better, one you use or one that sits? I also like arisakas. they all tend to sit, same with nagants. One thought is to sell all of them and get down to the 7 basic firearms a man needs. But I'm not willing to do that
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 12:33 AM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,726
Thanks: 24,402
Thanked 58,274 Times in 18,924 Posts
Default

Like 0002S said:

Plenty of sporterized examples out there cheap to re-modify if wanted.

While back if picked up a NICELY (I judge no later than the 60's) sporterized Enfied with $30 worth of hunting ammo for $100.
Kept it, (I like Enfields more than Mausers) but in the end I sold it to a kid for $200... and kept the ammo.

I see more <$200 sporterized bolt Guns than I could buy
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 04:29 AM
randkl's Avatar
randkl randkl is offline
Human bean of planet Urf
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,832
Thanks: 4,757
Thanked 4,892 Times in 2,305 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
I completely agree. The only time I will have anything....
Not me. I buy what I want and I do what *I* want with it. If at some later date you want it, buy it from me and do whatever the **** you want to do to it, too. If you don't want it, take your whining somewhere else. My gear is my gear.

I have two MN's now. All in ATI black synthetic stocks, barrels cut and bolts down. I have two vz.24's, both in black plastic, one with a scope mounted, two No.4 Lee Enfields, one in ATI black, a MAK in black, an SKS (two digit serial I bought new in 86 or 87) in black. I think I still have one of the MN stocks and possibly the SKS wood. The rest I burn for firewood or make projects out of them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 05:19 AM
0002S's Avatar
0002S 0002S is offline
μολὼν λαβέ
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,018
Thanks: 2,348
Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,684 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
Not me. I buy what I want and I do what *I* want with it. If at some later date you want it, buy it from me and do whatever the **** you want to do to it, too. If you don't want it, take your whining somewhere else. My gear is my gear.

I have two MN's now. All in ATI black synthetic stocks, barrels cut and bolts down. I have two vz.24's, both in black plastic, one with a scope mounted, two No.4 Lee Enfields, one in ATI black, a MAK in black, an SKS (two digit serial I bought new in 86 or 87) in black. I think I still have one of the MN stocks and possibly the SKS wood. The rest I burn for firewood or make projects out of them.
Take your whining...lol. So you’re choices are the only ones that are correct?

You do see the irony in what you just said?

Nobody’s suggesting you don’t spend your money anyway you choose. People have written what they choose to spend their money on.

Today’s internet bad ass brought to you by the Council for Improved Reading Comprehension.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:29 AM
9mmMike's Avatar
9mmMike 9mmMike is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,376
Thanks: 263
Thanked 13,075 Times in 3,462 Posts
Default

There is no history in a non-fired weapon, it was built, stuffed in an arsenal and allowed to sit for decades, then sold as scrap. Not a very glorious story.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 7,704
Thanks: 4,342
Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Take your whining...lol. So youíre choices are the only ones that are correct?

You do see the irony in what you just said?

Nobodyís suggesting you donít spend your money anyway you choose. People have written what they choose to spend their money on.

Todayís internet bad ass brought to you by the Council for Improved Reading Comprehension.
The real funny thing is that heís burned stocks for firewood when selling them, since most have value, would have been much more cost efficient.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 7,704
Thanks: 4,342
Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
There is no history in a non-fired weapon, it was built, stuffed in an arsenal and allowed to sit for decades, then sold as scrap. Not a very glorious story.
Itís still a part of history.

Thatís like saying a Ď62 Corvette that is found in a barn with 6 miles on it is just a pile of junk that should be stripped down and used for a stock car on the local dirt track.

Why people are still cutting up Mausers is beyond me.
They are typically difficult to mount a scope on unless one goes with one of those typically unreliable rear sight mounts, the barrels were meant for war not accuracy and they are heavy.
For the same or less money one could easily buy a sub-moa/moa modern rifle already set up for a scope and already in a plastic fantastic stock.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:42 AM
randkl's Avatar
randkl randkl is offline
Human bean of planet Urf
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,832
Thanks: 4,757
Thanked 4,892 Times in 2,305 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Take your whining...lol. So you’re choices are the only ones that are correct?

You do see the irony in what you just said?

Today’s internet bad ass brought to you by the Council for Improved Reading Comprehension.
Sorry, bud. I don't whine to folks who want to do whatever the **** they want with their gear. I specifically told you what *I* do, the same as you did. Not critiquing your opinion, simply expressing mine. That "you" was a generalization, not *you* in specific.

What was that about retards, idiots, and reading comp failures?

See the irony in that?

"If at some later date you, meaning the general know it alls at the gunshows, gun shops and gun forums who insist on telling me, meaning me in specific, what I should or shouldn't do to my guns, want it, buy it from me and do whatever the **** you, again meaning the general know it alls at the gunshows, gun shops and gun forums who insist on telling me what what I should or shouldn't do to my guns, want to do to it, too. If you don't want it, again meaning the general know it alls at the gunshows, gun shops and gun forums, not YOU in specific, take your whining somewhere else. My gear is my gear."

Better?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 AM
0002S's Avatar
0002S 0002S is offline
μολὼν λαβέ
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,018
Thanks: 2,348
Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,684 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
Sorry, bud. I don't whine to folks who want to do whatever the **** they want with their gear. I specifically told you what *I* do, the same as you did. Not critiquing your opinion, simply expressing mine. That "you" was a general, not *you* in specific.

What was that about retards, idiots, and reading comp failures?

See the irony in that?
When you quote an individual, you start to address them as a singular and not a group.

You're reference to the group is suspect. The minute you directed the conversation to "If you don't want it, take your whining somewhere else", you weren't referring to the group. You were referring to me.

If you wanted to quote me and address the group as a whole you would use the word 'one'. Example. I am not calling you an a-hole, but one might given your general attitude. So that it's not lost in translation, I'm implying that others are calling you an a-hole without specifically calling you one myself.

While both you and one are generic pronouns and interchangeable with a few caveats, quoting me then directing your conversation with 'you' is a direct answer to what I've written.

The best part of this whole grammar affair is that the post you quoted is a direct response to another post and in no way implies what other's should or shouldn't do. I'm having a conversation with him.

I'm having fun with this. Please keep it going. I'm waiting for your next wave where you get personal and start with the threats.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 09:16 AM
9mmMike's Avatar
9mmMike 9mmMike is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,376
Thanks: 263
Thanked 13,075 Times in 3,462 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Itís still a part of history.

Thatís like saying a Ď62 Corvette that is found in a barn with 6 miles on it is just a pile of junk that should be stripped down and used for a stock car on the local dirt track.

Why people are still cutting up Mausers is beyond me.
They are typically difficult to mount a scope on unless one goes with one of those typically unreliable rear sight mounts, the barrels were meant for war not accuracy and they are heavy.
For the same or less money one could easily buy a sub-moa/moa modern rifle already set up for a scope and already in a plastic fantastic stock.
Since I hand did the walnut wood stock from a blank, hand fitted the forearm cap and made it from ebony, and cut and shaped the pistol grip cap from water buffalo horn, polished the bolt and added a target trigger, had the length cut back and barrel recrowned and, I enjoy working with these actions and parts, you can take your holier than thou attitude and put it where the sun don't shine.

There weren't hundreds of thousands of corvettes made. If there were, they would not be valuable.

Now, if was German made, with the proper markings all parts matched serial numbers and the stock showed it had actually seen combat, I would say yes, leave it alone, it is a piece of history.

If it was still in battle dress, it would collect dust in my safe or on a wall somewhere, as it is I use it every year and have taken multiple game animals with it.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 7,704
Thanks: 4,342
Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
Since I hand did the walnut wood stock from a blank, hand fitted the forearm cap and made it from ebony, and cut and shaped the pistol grip cap from water buffalo horn, polished the bolt and added a target trigger, had the length cut back and barrel recrowned and, I enjoy working with these actions and parts, you can take your holier than thou attitude and put it where the sun don't shine.

There weren't hundreds of thousands of corvettes made. If there were, they would not be valuable.

Now, if was German made, with the proper markings all parts matched serial numbers and the stock showed it had actually seen combat, I would say yes, leave it alone, it is a piece of history.

If it was still in battle dress, it would collect dust in my safe or on a wall somewhere, as it is I use it every year and have taken multiple game animals with it.
Triggered much?


Go take a Xanax...
Good day to you.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM
9mmMike's Avatar
9mmMike 9mmMike is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,376
Thanks: 263
Thanked 13,075 Times in 3,462 Posts
Default

I am fine, you seem a little tense. There were 1,244,000+ Yugo mausers made. most still circulating and most never used. They began manufacturing them in 1950. So, other than looking like a historic rifle explain to me how it is historical?
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net