Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No 90% of americans wouldn't die duaned Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 154 05-17-2017 11:49 AM

Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 PM
Totally off grid

Thanked 6,601 Times in 1,845 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
It 's funny that folks are worried about their confusers and phones. I have some trashcan cages but have things like night vision scopes, solar motion detector lights, Led flashlights and bulbs, handi talkies, etc. I do have some electronic how to files stored, but those are on a Kindel. Most of my how to stuff is on paper.
I was talking about all these city folks that think a bugout bag and a good truck is gonna get you out of the city and to a save and secure area. It won't happen. It will take 100 years to restore all the power if they ever do. All city dwellers are going to be living in hell. I sure would hate to be anywhere near a city when it happens. I'm sure my solar will be useless but I do have oil lamps and lots of diesel on hand. 1000 gallons of propane will keep my propane freezer working for about 10-12 years, maybe longer if I ration it, then that will become a storage vessel.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,036 Times in 5,868 Posts

I am not too worried I will survive it just fine. S/FI!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 PM
Totally off grid

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
I am not too worried I will survive it just fine. S/FI!
Yep me too and all those with me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 05:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,307 Times in 2,727 Posts

Rural Wyo which is about as lonely as you can get, but my place is in a desert, and so dependent on irrigation from a ditch. A lot of farmers water from the same ditch and I believe that we will be a community that will keep that ditch open.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Totally off grid

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
Rural Wyo which is about as lonely as you can get, but my place is in a desert, and so dependent on irrigation from a ditch. A lot of farmers water from the same ditch and I believe that we will be a community that will keep that ditch open.
You might want to have the "ditch water" tested for fertilizers and pesticides before drinking it. Farm water runoff can be deceptive.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,168 Times in 4,261 Posts

Quote:
You might want to have the "ditch water" tested for fertilizers and pesticides before drinking it. Farm water runoff can be deceptive.
I'm guessing he is using ditch the same way I do, which has caused confusion in the past for me here as it seems to mean something different in different places.

Here, ditch water is snow melt captured in mountain lakes that is distributed through ditch to farmers for irrigation and livestock watering.

Its not run off from anything but mountain snowfields.

I gather than in some places ditches are where water goes, not where it comes from. You pay to take water out of our ditches (through property taxes) and its illegal to allow runoff into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Aeriendal is right. We are near the head of the ditch, so not much chance of accidental pesticide contamination, This is hay country so not much pesticide use, and as time goes by everyone will gradually run out .
Old 03-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,027 Times in 4,515 Posts

Here is a recent report put out by the NCC of DHS.
http://futurescience.com/emp/DHS-NCC...2019-Final.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,504 Times in 6,299 Posts

There are ditches, which bring water TO the fields, and there drains, which take water AWAY from fields which would otherwise be too wet to plant. Drains in Ohio and Michigan where I've lived are almost always a stew of pesticides, fertilizer, and manure runoff. But they're never called ditches. They are, however prime mosquito breeding grounds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 07:45 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,729 Times in 639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONELRAD View Post
A microwave oven is about as effective as a faraday cage as it is as a wireless charger for an iPhone. Try it yourself. I just put my AM/FM/SW radio in our microwave and closed the door. It picked up an AM station that is 30+ miles away using only its internal antenna. The reception was barely affected. Then, I put a cell phone in the Microwave and called it. It rang just fine. Ergo, microwave ovens are NOT faraday cages.

ok, so people say they can make a cage out of a metal garbage can and metal tape. so have you done that, put a cel phone in it and called? does that work?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Emergency Planner

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
ok, so people say they can make a cage out of a metal garbage can and metal tape. so have you done that, put a cel phone in it and called? does that work?
Sorry, I don't have any metal garbage cans or metal tape to try it with.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:47 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,195 Times in 20,031 Posts

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,610 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
All good information that was pretty much assumed in the past. Only thing I am surprised about is we don't have an EMP based weapon in our arsenal.
. I would bet money we do have those weapons. Never show your hand until all bets are down.

EMP's have the ability to bring nations to their knees and leave most things untouched. The fields will still produce; live stock will live and multiply;
buildings still stand; many important services can be put back into service if those coming in to occupy have what is needed and I am thinking they will; the weak will have died and some of the healthy will possibly be put into enslavement work.

It is complicated but those willing to deploy EMP bombs will have those things figured out ahead of time.

Protect your electronics if you can.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,729 Times in 639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

so apparently it does, or can work? ok, interesting. the only thing that gets me about EMP prepping, is that we still dont know exactly what will happen; we just have a best guess scenario as to what will/could be affected, and what wont.

case in point in terms of vehicles.....will an EMP affect every single car with any kind of ignition system? will it only affect the most hi-tech, all computer controlled? will carbed cars work? will only points ignition cars work? if you cage a computer/ECM from a 90s car, will it work after? will you have to cage the ignition system, ie: coil, COPs, distributor?

i know there is no definite answer to that, and youll only find out after an EMP and then itll be too late.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 PM
Emergency Planner

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote:
so apparently it does, or can work? ok, interesting. the only thing that gets me about EMP prepping, is that we still dont know exactly what will happen; we just have a best guess scenario as to what will/could be affected, and what wont.

case in point in terms of vehicles.....will an EMP affect every single car with any kind of ignition system? will it only affect the most hi-tech, all computer controlled? will carbed cars work? will only points ignition cars work? if you cage a computer/ECM from a 90s car, will it work after? will you have to cage the ignition system, ie: coil, COPs, distributor?

i know there is no definite answer to that, and youll only find out after an EMP and then itll be too late.
To a degree, it doesn't matter. How long do you think you'll be able to get gas after a collapse? Whether EMP is involved or not? How many gas stations do you know of that have backup generators? Do you have a siphon pump with a hose long enough to dip into the main storage tanks? If you don't have either of the above... does it matter if the car gets fried? The best way to prep for EMP is to learn how to get along without electronics. Sand-point/driven wells, low tech transport (animals, bicycles, legwork), biomass fuels for cooking and heating... it doesn't mean you need to live that way now, but at least know how to do it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Bring your own backup generator to the gas station? A little hooking up (with permission of course, and the station is in business. you charge a commission or something. Good times.
Or have a 12V fuel pump that reaches down in the tank.
Or devise something else. Like seal off the tank, pressurize it with air, then it rises from the delta p up an extraction pipe.

Or a 2 piece manual recip pump made from 2 nesting pieces of CPVC and a couple check valves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 05:06 AM
Survivor

Yup I think yankee ingenuity will get the gas out of filling station tanks pretty fast, not that hard. I have a couple of race car 12V fuel pumps and a coil of hose stashed away myself.

But, after those are dried up how long till there are new deliveries???
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,953 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Bring your own backup generator to the gas station? A little hooking up (with permission of course, and the station is in business. you charge a commission or something. Good times.
Or have a 12V fuel pump that reaches down in the tank.
Or devise something else. Like seal off the tank, pressurize it with air, then it rises from the delta p up an extraction pipe.

Or a 2 piece manual recip pump made from 2 nesting pieces of CPVC and a couple check valves.
And a lot of ammo to fight off the crazies once they hear a pump is running
The Following User Says Thank You to Drill That Oil For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 AM

or grab an in tank vehicle fuel pump, drop it into the undergnd tank. Bob's your uncle.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drill That Oil View Post
And a lot of ammo to fight off the crazies once they hear a pump is running
Americans are civilized. It's not like we have a bunch of Somalians running around with machetes.

kidding.
Yeah, bring lots of ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post: