Good brand of bbq grill? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 230 04-26-2018 06:37 PM
hope for good people in other religions sixtus Religious Discussion 146 12-15-2017 10:28 AM

Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Good brand of bbq grill?

Advertise Here

I am thinking about buying a gas grill, but the reviews of the ones I see on lowes website seem to indicate that they rust out alot and dont last long. Are there any brands that are knows for not rusting out and lasting a few years? there was a grill at academy that was big and had a griddle on the side, but the reviews had photos of very rusty looking griddles.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 01:21 PM

I have Weber 3 burner without the side burner. I can say that it is far superior in build quality than the other brands you see at home depot or Lowe's. If course it does cost more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pikepole20 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM

We seem to have had our best luck with Char Broil brand. Good luck with the grills themselves as well as we have a couple places that seem to have a good stock of spare parts for that brand.

There are parts of any brand grill that are for a better term "short life expectancy" Like the cover over the burner, under the grate and eventually the burner its self. Again our local hardware stocks a good variety of grill parts.

Over the last number of years I have had fun finding, repairing as needed, and using yard sale Char Broil brand grills. When there useful life is completely exhausted, then recycle or turn into a planter for my Sweetie.

As well as fun, this exercise has provided a lot of grilling for cheap. Much cheaper than buying new grills periodically. For your first grill purchase, yes, buy a new one and learn.

The side burner is useful at times. Keep your pot of baked beans warm or boil water for tea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wyobuckaroo48 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Weber, hands down.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to escherm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:43 PM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 2,561 Times in 977 Posts

Agreed, Weber

That said, some parts will have to be replaced occasionally no matter what. But the box stores will have whatever you need.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,270 Times in 3,819 Posts

Weber....had mine pushing 10 years now...

keep it covered and buy and use cast iron plates on it

Lodge Pro-Grid Cast Iron Grill and Griddle Combo. Reversible 20" x 10.44" Grill/Griddle Pan with Easy-Grip Handles

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Gri...SIN=B00008GKDQ

the reasoning is that you can pre heat grill, heat those plates to 5-600 degrees, turn down to low heat, flip to smooth side and sear your meats, chicken, fishes, etc.

or keep griddle side up for grill marks...

perfect for low n slow bbq ribs/chicken, etc.

also helps to prevent lid from burning up...

i also use cast iron skillets often too....

keep extra tank nearby in milk crate, don't be that guy running out of gas during a grillin session....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-12 19.04.20.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	282210   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-19 19.29.40.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	282212   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-25 17.49.10.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	282214   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-25 18.16.34.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	282216   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-25 18.16.43.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	282218   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-25 18.19.31.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	282220  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-25 18.29.02.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	282222   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-07 19.41.45.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	282224  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 PM

they one i was looking at is a char broil that is on sale at 291, its a six burner and has a side burner and a shelf on other side. i like the doors at the bottom and it has four wheels.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-...ner/1000713050
Old 01-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,270 Times in 3,819 Posts

some reviews:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/app...grill-reviews/

https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-learning...ing-gas-grills
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Crusty Old B*stard

Thanked 2,108 Times in 694 Posts

I've had a Weber for about four years now, and it really isn't all that much better than the Char-broil it replaced. The drippings from fatty foods don't run down into the grease pan like they should, so it has to be scraped out regularly or the bottom of your grill will catch fire. I've also had to replace the "flavor bars" once, and I need to do it again before next BBQ season. Seriously thinking about going back to charcoal again. Gas is convenient, but the flavor is much better with charcoal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry The Cat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM

over the long term, is it cheaper to use charcoal? I have a basic charcoal grill like we had growing up.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:02 PM
No One of Consequence

I personally don't know if charcoal is cheaper, but I too prefer it over gas.

I have a small charcoal grill with a smoke box on the side and love using it when I get the chance.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:15 PM

it looks like from reading stuff on the net about cost, it seems that you have to use the gas grill alot to make the price of the grill pay off. Most likely I won't use it much, so maybe charcoal is the way to go for someone who don't grill out much. People say it cost about 2.50 for the charcoal, and about 1.50 for the gas per cookout. If you pay 25 for a charcoal grill,and 300 for a gas grill, you have to use that grill alot, then you got more maintenance cost on the gas grill at some point.
The Following User Says Thank You to prepperz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,280 Times in 18,926 Posts

Check thrift stores.

I have those little tabletop Webber (2)
A little tabletop (I think webber) charcoal grill
A standard propane grill
And a $400-$500 smoker

....all under $20 per.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 PM
No One of Consequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
A little tabletop (I think webber) charcoal grill
I have one of those little Webber patio grills too, in addition to the smoker. It's great for when you just want to cook off a few hamburgers, chicken breasts, or whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 AM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,812 Times in 5,137 Posts

It depends on budget and usage. Since you won't be using it much, if you go charcoal, a basic Weber 22" Classic is perfect. Do yourself a favor and spring for the 'premium,' a few dollars more, but there are some ease of use improvements like a lid handle, ash catch bucket, etc... that are worth every dollar. Their performer line is nice if you need work space.

Weber makes a decent gas grill too, but I think they're over-priced for what you get. Char Broil has stepped up their game recently and their Performance line, or Commercial line, are GTG. Built well and plenty of features.

I went from a Weber to Char Broil (Performance 6 burner) about five years ago and have been very happy. I keep it covered, but it lives outside. No rust, runs and runs. I grill a lot, so my stuff gets a workout and it's really holding up quite well.
I clean the internals once a year, run ten? bottles of propane through it in that same year. I'm not babying it by any means.

I don't know how many people you plan to grill for, but IMHO get at least four burners. You can control heat better, create different heat zones, indirect cook, etc... More is better in the gas grill world, esp in BTU's.

If you want to grill to impress, get yourself a Napoleon. They're very nice, and a decent one can be had for less than $1800. If that seems like a lot... well it is. BUT, it's real easy to spend 10K+ on a good grill set-up.
Heck, the Santa Maria gill I want is over 5K... but I'm guessing I'll just build my own like I did my smoker. 1/10th the cost.

In the end, it's not the tools, it's the cook. But having equipment that works well can allow you to refine your recipes, instead of spending energy on fighting the grill.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,806 Times in 3,300 Posts

Weber. Weber. Weber. Charcoal or gas, Weber. Grills and implements might be on sale right now.

Do get a sturdy, waterproof cover that breathes.. Do store in a warm, dry place if it won't be used for awhile. Dry out completely if it gets wet/damp. Pay close attention to this if grilling in winter/cold season.

If you go with charcoal and get a great deal on a large quantity, store in a cool DRY place and make sure any plastic is removed and the bottom bags are not on the ground/floor (use a pallet). Mine was also out of sight and secured to prevent theft.

An electric wire and charcoal chimney eliminates the need for fluid. I have also used pine cones, pine cones dipped in wax, and dried moss/lichen in lieu of fluid when electric was not available (requires planning ahead and make sure the plant material isn't poisonous and won't cause a bad odor/taste.

Do not buy the el-cheapo Walk-about (Lowes and Home Depot) if you buy a charcoal grill. The design sucks for air drafting and long-enough-lasting fire (shallow box and only two sides with holes is a big part of the problem) for ribs when you start with raw through putting them on the plate, or a big wok full of veggies that you want done enough to be a little black and crispy. And it takes 6 or 7 briquettes instead of 3 to 5 to do one hamburger. Very inefficient.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,815 Times in 903 Posts

Have to second or third or something like that. Weber. Our current Weber is at least 15 years old. Replaced the flavor bars twice. Probably needs the gas tubes but after 15 years I'm ok with that.

Our BOL has a Weber as well and it's around 12 years.

BIGGEST thing to watch out for is grease fires. The grease pans NEED to be cleaned regularly or they will catch fire.

I've had lesser brands but nothing at all has lasted like our Weber grills.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ImbriD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,246 Times in 3,340 Posts

I don’t even use my grill since I bought a flat top. It is the best money I have ever spent. They are only like $300-400. I think I gave $299 plus $90 for the hard top cover. I keep mine in the garage. I just roll it in front of the door when I cook.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,326 Posts

For years I bought the same "Master Forge" budget gas grill from Lowes . As parts would rust out I would rig up fixes and finally just buy another one and try to use parts and repair ideas from the old one to fix the new one as it, in turn, rusted out...

The three grills lasted maybe 12 years. Last year I bought a Weber and so far it is holding up, but we will see.

I have a charcoal grill also but really, when I want steaks, I do not want to spend an hour messing with the coals and the cleaning and such.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Another thing to consider if there was some long term need for a grill is if I would even have any meat to cook on it. If someone doesn't stock meat and have a means of keeping it cold, there isn't much need in a grill right? Unless you killed a deer or something and used a grill to cook it.