Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The feral dog hunter" Medieval Man General Discussion 18 08-16-2017 01:09 PM
Feeder pigs have arrived fhhunt Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 44 05-21-2017 09:18 PM
Wild Pigs On The March AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-06-2017 06:30 PM
I think I want pigs, but have no idea about them. raccoontrapper2016 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 02-04-2017 08:36 AM
Pasture prep for pigs fullofit Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 30 10-15-2016 12:44 PM

Old 12-22-2018, 04:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,031 Times in 5,867 Posts
Default Feral Pigs

Advertise Here

I had something happen tonight I have only heard and or read about was Coon Hunting tonight dogs treed next to old abandoned homestead with a collapsed barn , was tying dogs up Judge was acting weird , Elijah and Patches my young dogs were treeing real hard saw the Coon in the tree was getting ready to load the 22 when I saw why Judge was acting weird 25 feet away stood a ****ed off Boar popping his teeth I dropped the 22 and yelled HOG and drew my 45 out of my chest rig , my hunting buddy who is LEO drew his 9 mm , just has the Hog hit his dog Broadside , my buddy hit him 3 times and he kept Coming , I dropped him at 10 feet with 1 head shot , we gathered up my Buddies dog got him home and stitched up and a shot of LA 200. We went back and got the HOG he weighed 250 dressed. I hope that never happens again in my Lifetime.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2018, 05:54 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,789 Times in 3,377 Posts

Could have ended up much worse. You were both lucky and you got off a good shot.

I hope your buddy's dog pulls through.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 06:09 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,281 Times in 3,372 Posts

I know very little about feral pigs. Do you have any idea why it attacked instead of running away? Could there have been some piglets close by?
What did the other dogs do while one was being attacked?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2018, 06:50 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 40,550 Times in 9,644 Posts

I don't like semi auto cartridges when it comes to pigs

I prefer magnums in either 357 or 44

Number one reason is the type of bullet being used......hard cast (best medicine)

Number two reason is the velocity behind the heavy bullet.....more likely to penetrate the gristle plate and less likely to skip off their head

Don't use hollow points on pigs unless the bullet weighs in at 300grs or more and has some **** behind it

If he's coming at you, aim for the snout otherwise aim for the ears either just below or just behind

For big pigs, even a 223 is inadequate......in my books anyways

My preferred rifle is the 270......gets 'em every time

The object is to get at least one good hole in them so at least when they run off, they'll die!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
I had something happen tonight I have only heard and or read about was Coon Hunting tonight dogs treed next to old abandoned homestead with a collapsed barn , was tying dogs up Judge was acting weird , Elijah and Patches my young dogs were treeing real hard saw the Coon in the tree was getting ready to load the 22 when I saw why Judge was acting weird 25 feet away stood a ****ed off Boar popping his teeth I dropped the 22 and yelled HOG and drew my 45 out of my chest rig , my hunting buddy who is LEO drew his 9 mm , just has the Hog hit his dog Broadside , my buddy hit him 3 times and he kept Coming , I dropped him at 10 feet with 1 head shot , we gathered up my Buddies dog got him home and stitched up and a shot of LA 200. We went back and got the HOG he weighed 250 dressed. I hope that never happens again in my Lifetime.
As it is typed, let it be seen!

That's a big little piggy! Good for you; now where are the show-off pics?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
I know very little about feral pigs. Do you have any idea why it attacked instead of running away? Could there have been some piglets close by?
What did the other dogs do while one was being attacked?
No it was a lone male BIG SOB , with a bad attitude , I have seen pigs all over before 99% run this one was aggressive , he may have had some true European/ Russian wild boar in him Black has night!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 06:21 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
As it is typed, let it be seen!

That's a big little piggy! Good for you; now where are the show-off pics?
I texted Paul Kersey the pics he might be kind enough to post them for me , we keep talking about him walking me through it one day. My Cyber Security son is in Germany at the moment , he could do it without thinking about it I am sure
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
I don't like semi auto cartridges when it comes to pigs

I prefer magnums in either 357 or 44

Number one reason is the type of bullet being used......hard cast (best medicine)

Number two reason is the velocity behind the heavy bullet.....more likely to penetrate the gristle plate and less likely to skip off their head

Don't use hollow points on pigs unless the bullet weighs in at 300grs or more and has some **** behind it

If he's coming at you, aim for the snout otherwise aim for the ears either just below or just behind

For big pigs, even a 223 is inadequate......in my books anyways

My preferred rifle is the 270......gets 'em every time

The object is to get at least one good hole in them so at least when they run off, they'll die!
Well we were coon hunting and my dogs will not chase pigs , so we just had a 22 rifle and our PDW , I spend some where between 180-250 nights a year Following my hounds 3-10 hours a night half that time by myself except for the dogs of course. That joker attacked us unreal his backstraps , hams and shoulders are soaking in Salt and Ice for the night , 3rd rinse today.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
Could have ended up much worse. You were both lucky and you got off a good shot.

I hope your buddy's dog pulls through.
Dog is fine just talked with my buddy , gave hin some Cattle combiotic he should pull through he is eating and drinking but limping as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,291 Times in 7,284 Posts

The first hog I ever saw shot hit the ground with a thud shot by a .22.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 07:15 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,440 Times in 4,656 Posts

Damn dude!! Glad the dogs -- and you guys -- are all okay. That IS a big pig.

Given the fact that these things are showing up in urban areas pretty regularly now I see nothing but bad for city-folk who tend to believe everything "furry" is a cute, cuddly thing that just needs to be petted.

I have a buddy who is attempting to make it his life's mission to kill every hog that crosses his path. I can't wait to tell him your story!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Prepared

Question Feral Hogs are Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
I know very little about feral pigs. Do you have any idea why it attacked instead of running away?
TXs guide doesnt agree hogs are dangerous here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...ce/feral_hogs/

This U. of FL piece suggests hogs *can* be dangerous: http://www.research.ufl.edu/publicat.../extract6.html

However, Huntercourse says they *ARE*:
https://www.huntercourse.com/blog/20...game-to-hunt/; #2 of animals found in CONUS.

YMMV.

[/Sarcasm On] Unanimity of opinion on the internet; whodve guessed.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RW_in_DC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 07:35 PM
Survivor

Well the wife said I can not bring home any more big game 2 deer, 2 hogs , I shot another hog with my Mini-14 about 2 weeks ago riding around with a rancher who lets me Coon hunt on his place and sometimes his grandsons go with me , I was showing him a spot where I found some down fencing and I helped him fix it on the way back we saw a group of 5 hogs running , I dropped one dead running , I think I hit 2 more he said they rolled and then got back up so they probably died some where any way after this incident I am just going to kill these suckers and leave em lay any chance I get just like coyotes even the babies.!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Survivor

Of course the one Pig I shot with the rancher , she only weighed about 80 pounds dressed.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 4,465 Times in 568 Posts

Nightime, artificial light creating odd shadows, now add in a dark fast moving and very dangerous target. Throw in some adrenaline and that's a recipe for some really bad results bordering on disaster. Good to hear the dog will recover and that the meat has found a good home.

Ever hear of AC Leggs Old Plantation sausage seasonings? Then again I suppose you already have made your plans for the meat. If you run low on freezer space I'll lend you some of mine...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Survivor

I under stand what you are saying but when you hunt alot at night by yourself half the time you get real comfortable with the darkness and most who are afraid of the dark don't become Marines , LEO or Coon Hunters and the Lights we have today are 1,000 times brighter and last longer than the lights I had as a Kid hunting by myself at 8 yo , with a SS 22 a hatchet and shrade belt /skinning knife and a dog named General Lee. 2 things I do not hunt with people I do not trust ever , nor do i hunt with drunks or those who smell of alcohol or are known to recreationally use drugs, and if you are afraid of the dark I dang sure will never hunt with you but once and it is easy to spot the type and they ain't carrying no firearms EVER and neither are new people who hunt with us unless it is the unloaded 22 because it is never loaded until the dogs are tied back and coon or bobcat is spotted in the tree , actually my buddy and I never got rattled until after wards working on his dog. I think we both found a whole lot more respect and trust for one another than we already had. S/FI!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,523 Times in 2,069 Posts

That is why kevelar vests for dogs make sense around hogs.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,149 Times in 3,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
Damn dude!! Glad the dogs -- and you guys -- are all okay. That IS a big pig.

Given the fact that these things are showing up in urban areas pretty regularly now I see nothing but bad for city-folk who tend to believe everything "furry" is a cute, cuddly thing that just needs to be petted.

I have a buddy who is attempting to make it his life's mission to kill every hog that crosses his path. I can't wait to tell him your story!
They have also become more prolific and much more bold in rural areas around here too boot.

A few years ago, you rarely seen them out in the open during mid day, and most of our efforts went into night hunting. Nowadays, we see them near every day. ( The wife shoots them right outa her gardens next to the house at least once a week now. I average 6-8 per week on my property alone.)

Been at this war with feral pigs for decades now, and eradication efforts are ongoing.
With that said, I have had them come at me on more than 1 occasion. ( Have noticed that they are getting less afraid of man around here, and especially big lone wolf boars.)

If your buddy truly wants to eradicate every hog he can find, I wish him good luck.

A few suggestions for him.....

1. Don't get complacent around hogs.......ever.

2. Gun for sows first.

3. Bring enough gun. By that, I'm talkin about a Full on rifle cartridge in a reliable semiauto using a decent bullet that will smash thru a big boar from any angle , expand to at least double it's initial size, and retain at least 85% of its weight.

4. Hunt with a buddy you can trust/ rely on.

I have used quite a few different cartridges over the years, but my favorite is 308 in a semiauto and 20rd dbm.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153709.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	281488   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 hogs.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	281492   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 hogs.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	281494   Click image for larger version

Name:	hog head shot.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	281498  
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Survivor

Well Ladies and Gentlemen I have been up since yesterday , perimeter security is set , German Shepherd in the den by the fire place , posted she has run of the house except garage , bedroom and bathrooms at night , 2 Rat dogs in Garage , 2 in Bedroom with me , Mossberg 835 condition 3 on Gun rack in Bedroom above bed , Mini-14 Condition 1 in rack special built by me on my side of the bed of course 1911 condition 1 on dresser , Good night ya'll and have a Merry Christmas in case I forget or do not get on here much the next few days. Keep your Knife Sharp and Powder Dry! S/FI!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:35 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,440 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
They have also become more prolific and much more bold in rural areas around here too boot.

A few years ago, you rarely seen them out in the open during mid day, and most of our efforts went into night hunting. Nowadays, we see them near every day. ( The wife shoots them right outa her gardens next to the house at least once a week now. I average 6-8 per week on my property alone.)

Been at this war with feral pigs for decades now, and eradication efforts are ongoing.
With that said, I have had them come at me on more than 1 occasion. ( Have noticed that they are getting less afraid of man around here, and especially big lone wolf boars.)

If your buddy truly wants to eradicate every hog he can find, I wish him good luck.

A few suggestions for him.....

1. Don't get complacent around hogs.......ever.

2. Gun for sows first.

3. Bring enough gun. By that, I'm talkin about a Full on rifle cartridge in a reliable semiauto using a decent bullet that will smash thru a big boar from any angle , expand to at least double it's initial size, and retain at least 85% of its weight.

4. Hunt with a buddy you can trust/ rely on.

I have used quite a few different cartridges over the years, but my favorite is 308 in a semiauto and 20rd dbm.

11B
Thanks for the advice. Dusty and I are both lifelong country bumpkins. My poor city kid husband only went "hunting" with us once. And that wasn't so much hunting as an eradication party. After the lot of us had finished off the last pig the dogs had run into a dead end spot we'd already scoped out, we loaded all the carcasses up, harvested a couple of the smaller ones for a buddy who had planned to meet up with us but couldn't make it out and were back on the highway at dusk.

I smelled like a truckload of feral pigs because ... well, country girls do what country girls do. The old man was just as clean as be was when we started that adventure because ... well, city kids do what city kids do.

I don't fault him. He didn't grow up playing in barns and dirt. He grew up watching Mtv and playing PacMan at the arcade on Main Street.

But when he tells me he wants to go do "country stuff" with me and my buddies now I just say "Ok, dear." He knows he doesn't mean it any more than I would mean it if I told him I wanted to go play bridge at the country club.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post: