Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,904 Times in 10,520 Posts
Default Netgear 4G LTE Modem LB1120

Advertise Here

For those of us that live fairly remote our choices for home internet access is a bit restrictive. For the last 4 years I have been using battery powered hotspots on prepaid plans. The first was a AT&T Unite express (GoPhone now called Prepaid by AT&T) whose plan levels for Hotspots were 2GB/mo for $25, 5GB/mo for $50, and 8GB/mo for $75. I used it up until Spring this year when I switched to a inexpensive ZTE (refurbished) from Straight Talk (a MVNO) that had plans of 4GB/2mo For $40, 5GB/2mo for $50, and 7GB/2mo for $75. They piggyback off the AT&T wireless service.

The other day I was looking back at my AT&T account site when I noticed they have new DATA amounts. Now they offered 3GB/mo for $25, 8GB/mo for $50 and 15GB/mo for $75. Wanting to find a better Internet access device my search led me to find these 4G LTE modems from Netgear (GSM device) that are simple plug in power boxes with a Ethernet connection that can be directly plugged to your computer or hooked to a switch or wireless router (need to change the modem to Bridge mode in the settings. A complete owners manual is available for DL at https://www.downloads.netgear.com/fi...112x_UM_EN.pdf)

I received the LTE modem yesterday (bought for $109 from Amazon) and proceeded to set it up. The first snag I encountered is it needs a micro sim. My old Gophone sim was full size and did not fit. I went to the AT&T website and attempted to order a sim for Prepaid service. I say attempted because the idiots that setup the website require you to buy a plan and all the plans are phone based and not the hotspot type. So what to do? At first I thought about buying one from Amazon that 3rd party retailers sell for $10-20, but if I went that route I would lose my old AT&T account number and settings. It occurred to me to research if I cut cut down the sim and after Googling it I found a website that had a printable template for accurate cutting. http://www.thechinacellphone.com/micro_sim_template.pdf A few cuts later with a sharp set of shears and I installed the Sim and powered on the modem.

Success 2 bars connected! A bit more setup of router and modem and buying a 3GB plan from my AT&T login, plus updating the IMEI device number, and I am up and running. the device did update it self and seem to burn through about 350mb fairly quickly but has now settled back to my normal Data rate. I like the fact that it can just be left on during the day and I do not need to shut it off like I did with the battery powered devices. I also like the fact it hooks up wired and not wireless like the Hotspots.

My speed is about 14mb/sec down and 1.5mb/sec up (did better this morning see screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180907_074343.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	277732  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,904 Times in 10,520 Posts

As a follow on to my review after a couple of weeks usage; I really like the modem though I do not like that it seems that I have ever increasing Data needs for basic surfing. I do not watch videos, listen to music or send pictures all that often. But the DATA usage keeps rising. After 2 weeks I have burned through 2.5GB. Some my fault for heavier use but much I suspect from the darn websites getting more filled with Data sucking addons.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post: