8/25/18 - Ebola outbreak now at 105 cases, and bordering countries are on alert - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,507 Times in 1,946 Posts

Advertise Here

This could be the cure to the crime in Chicago.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,102 Times in 2,819 Posts

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...llion-57618241

Quote:
Eastern Congo has new Ebola case in city of 1.4 million

Four of the 13 new cases from the city of Beni were not previously identified as contacts, meaning officials don't know how they were exposed to Ebola. WHO also reports "sporadic instances" of high-risk behaviors like unsafe burials, which could worsen the outbreak.
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...eni-cases-rise
Quote:
According to the health ministry, Ndindi district in Beni has become the main focus of the outbreak and is where 70% of the last 20 confirmed cases were reported. It said the cases are occurring amid resistance among the community to working with health authorities. For example, some families are hiding sick people, preventing health providers from taking patients to Ebola treatment centers, and refusing to be vaccinated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,804 Times in 5,134 Posts

I kind of feel bad about myself because I'm sort of pulling for the Ebola...

That's a bad thing, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
It's more a matter of them eating the monkeys and any other meat they can get their hands on because food is scarce.
There's truth in this, but there's an asterisk.

So, my great friend lived in Ghana for a while working with a company trying to set up a company that would make those little three wheel trucks that everyone there uses. Now they're buying most all of them from India and China. They're everywhere.

The idea was to make them domestically (in Ghana) and help the local economy.

It failed miserably. Because... the locals couldn't work. Couldn't show up reliably. Couldn't not be drunk or high when they did show up (not good for machining!). Couldn't care enough to learn the skills needed to accomplish the work.

The issue isn't lack of food. It's lack of focus/work ethic/intelligence enough, to create more food than it takes to feed the individual.
They have some of the most fertile soil on the planet, plenty of water. Almost no one farms. No one.

Look at Zimbabwe, and soon South Africa. There's a reason those countries are esshole countries. And it's not lack of food, it's prevalence of people unable to produce food.
A good famine and/or plague would be the best thing that ever happened there.
Sorry, true story.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
... it's not lack of food, it's prevalence of people unable to produce food.
A good famine and/or plague would be the best thing that ever happened there.
Sorry, true story.
As much as I agree with you, the problem with globalization is the containment will not occur if it gets as large as you state.

I think we may agree on the belief of global over population. As much as I am in favor of a reduction in the number of humans globally, I have a genuine fear that me or my family may get caught up in the herd thinning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,008 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im RIght View Post
As much as I agree with you, the problem with globalization is the containment will not occur if it gets as large as you state.

I think we may agree on the belief of global over population. As much as I am in favor of a reduction in the number of humans globally, I have a genuine fear that me or my family may get caught up in the herd thinning.
Everyone would get caught up in any global “herd thinning”. Because, well, global.

Regional, or local only, no.

Regional or local if done correctly, then not affected in a Global “crunch”. Would take everyone working hard. Extremely unlikely most folks could work hard, so all would be affected. In some way.

Hoping it doesn’t happen, but that’s why many of us are on here. Isn’t it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Survivor

What we want or wish for doesn't make it happen...

But things like this give me concern for what I agree with you that the world probably needs.

Yes I prep for these reasons, but that only improves odds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKCN1LL1XM

Quote:
The Emirates airliner, with at least 521 passengers, landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport at mid-morning and was surrounded by dozens of emergency vehicles as anxious passengers waited to be evaluated by health officials.
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Hunter

Again though, Ebola is a non threat here in the US.

Sure, folks may get it, and folks may (sadly) die. However it is not a pandemic threat here.

Simply social norms, hygiene & climate.

Now, perhaps down south it may linger a bit causing MSM havoc. However there are still the social norms and hygiene, which would cause it to simply “burn out”.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 09:02 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,101 Times in 20,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post

Sure, folks may get it, and folks may (sadly) die. However it is not a pandemic threat here.

Now, perhaps down south it may linger a bit causing MSM havoc. However there are still the social norms and hygiene, which would cause it to simply “burn out”.
Speaking of social norms, I might point out that a large number of those bat eating, monkey raping bastards were imported to the US by Obama. And I have heard nothing to indicate the disease spreads slower in our climate conditions.

And the level of incompetence observed during the big outbreak does not support your hubris. Using a migrant worker with no PPE to pressure wash Ebola vomitus from a Dallas Apartment sidewalk. Using PPE that is little more than a Kleenex hanging in front of healthcare worker's faces.
No procedure for cleaning an ambulance after transporting an ebola patient.

And the ability to perform effective contact tracing was nearly overwhelmed with only a couple cases.

The US airport system alone can spread such a disease more effectively here than in rural Africa.

We might have an effective vaccine now, so perhaps that will save us. But none of the other stuff you mentioned will.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Speaking of social norms, I might point out that a large number of those bat eating, monkey raping bastards were imported to the US by Obama. And I have heard nothing to indicate the disease spreads slower in our climate conditions.

And the level of incompetence observed during the big outbreak does not support your hubris. Using a migrant worker with no PPE to pressure wash Ebola vomitus from a Dallas Apartment sidewalk. Using PPE that is little more than a Kleenex hanging in front of healthcare worker's faces.
No procedure for cleaning an ambulance after transporting an ebola patient.

And the ability to perform effective contact tracing was nearly overwhelmed with only a couple cases.

The US airport system alone can spread such a disease more effectively here than in rural Africa.

We might have an effective vaccine now, so perhaps that will save us. But none of the other stuff you mentioned will.
Um, if I may, I believe I’ll point out that what you just stated helps to prove that the virus doesn’t survive in our climate.

If it did, there would have been multiple non health care contact cases. There were not.

However I am mindful that it wouldn’t take “too much” genetically speaking, for the virus to mutate into something environmentally hardier. It just hasn’t happened....yet.

So my hubris comes from how it is currently, not what it could become.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,804 Times in 7,455 Posts

Quote:

False. It spreads in the same manner as influenza and there has been no control of that. Countless people get it every year. With a high mortality rate disease like Ebola, given the same spread as influenza, we'd lose about 15% of our population. 10x worse than the Spanish Flu. Not the end of the world, but enough to grind it to a halt and cause secondary problems.

The only hygiene efforts that make a difference are in food and drink manufacturing and water purification and sewage treatment. We've got massive advantages when it comes to things like cholera. When it comes to person to person transmission, hygiene standards in western countries only provide a psychological benefit for any disease that doesn't require blood transmission. It's promoted as a way of easing fears about diseases and encouraging people to continue to work and purchase goods and services despite risks of contracting or spreading diseases.

This psychological effect also hits hospitals. Our infection control procedures in hospitals are near non-existent and they've only gotten worse after the last Ebola outbreak. Hospitals don't want to pay for it, so they basically tell everyone to use hand sanitizer and they won't catch anything the patients have. There are no Ebola Suits like these other countries have. Not only are private hospitals unwilling to pay for them, but they frighten patients and cause a public relations and patient survey nightmare. Hospitals get paid based on how happy their patients are. Subject your patient to serious quarantine and they'll wreck your patient satisfaction numbers and the hospital will see its profits evaporate. And then come the lawsuits for violating your patient's rights, discriminating against them, causing them emotional distress, causing their family members emotional distress, harm to their reputation, etc.

The only reason our mortality rates for these diseases are less is because we tend to have a better base health level and widely available medical treatments for people who are already ill (everything from antibiotics to blood transfusions and ventilators). They spread just as easily if not moreso because we don't restrict the activities of our sick or fear them as part of our culture thus we lack any natural quarantine or isolation behavior. We're arrogant as hell about this kind of stuff and we routinely screw ourselves over because of it. I can't count the number of times we had a patient with a contagious disease on the floor and the entire floor's staff and many of the patients were sick with it within a week. We kind of had a system down. The 1/3 to half the floor who had contact with the patient would get it after the first incubation period and we'd all work extra to cover their shifts. Then the rest of us would be sick just about the time they got back and they'd cover our shifts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Hunter

Quote:
...It spreads in the same manner as influenza...
False.

If it did, as in @Justme11’s statement prior, there would have been countless non-medical contact cases acquiring the disease in the US that last go around a few years back just from that one patient in ?Texas being ill for any number of days prior to being found and hauled to the hospital.

But it sure would be world changing if it were as you state, similar to flu.

At 5%, here in the US, it would be pandemonium pure and simple.

At 10%, it would likely lead to total economic collapse.

Between quarantine, lack of commerce and outright failure of the healthcare sector...just in time delivery can’t work if folks are not going to work.

However that would have allready occurred last go round, or several go rounds before that last one. Due to global travel, as stated.

Thankfully, it doesn’t spread like the flu. The only good thing about it.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,734 Times in 4,662 Posts

Quote:
What we want or wish for doesn't make it happen...

But things like this give me concern for what I agree with you that the world probably needs.

Yes I prep for these reasons, but that only improves odds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKCN1LL1XM
Nice... I'm only about 30 miles from JFK...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Man, I saw this article and was thinking, isn't this EXACTLY how that show 'the Strain' started ?!?

-W
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eastmanwes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
False.

If it did, as in @Justme11’s statement prior, there would have been countless non-medical contact cases acquiring the disease in the US that last go around a few years back just from that one patient in ?Texas being ill for any number of days prior to being found and hauled to the hospital.

But it sure would be world changing if it were as you state, similar to flu.

At 5%, here in the US, it would be pandemonium pure and simple.

At 10%, it would likely lead to total economic collapse.

Between quarantine, lack of commerce and outright failure of the healthcare sector...just in time delivery can’t work if folks are not going to work.

However that would have allready occurred last go round, or several go rounds before that last one. Due to global travel, as stated.

Thankfully, it doesn’t spread like the flu. The only good thing about it.
We had 1 case that was only shedding virus for a matter of hours in a single family home where people knew what he had and feared it before being transported to hospital where both of his nurses got it trying to provide him care with CDC provided isolation equipment and protocols far superior to that available in a normal hospital.

80% of the US population is exposed to influenza every year without contracting identifiable symptoms. Given this incredibly small sample, it's AT LEAST as communicable as influenza.

Furthermore I don't see why you think healthcare staff transmissions at a rate of 2 per patient is not threatening.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 04:32 PM
SoJer

Thanked 2,709 Times in 900 Posts

*coff coff* ..We interrupt this lively boxing-match to present an 'alternative perspective', from a Very astute young Lady who delivers almost 'sirenly subtle' Logic bombs, that Truly do give pause for Thought... Which is a Good thing, imo, in 'hair-trigger' emotional-topics, such as this..

..Hmmm..

ie: '..Man caught dumping formaldehyde into local water supply..' Huh.. Not like some rouge CIA splinter would ever do something like That for a Corporate / Pharma Overlord.. ..So, yeah.. Hmmm...

..NOT suggesting I believe Ebola is 'All just some hoax', but.. Certainly, at the Very least, MSM Coverage of it - which is 99% what Most of us Base our reactions to the "news" of it-all, On (..it's not like we're, personally, In the DRC / On those planes, to 'counter' anything we're told, etc..) Should be subjected to Great, great scrutiny, before we do any 'freaking out'.. ..'Trust but Verify'...

...Also, Not 'declaring it Fact' by posting this perspective, but.. Certainly, good 'Food for thought', (..as-are incidents like WTF - really - happened to 'Timothy Cunningham', there.. Suicide?? Mmmyyeah, not buyin it... Just One example of something - Not - a Theory, but... very well May be part of a bigger Conspiracy.. Such-like 'dominos' worry me more, frankly, than these 'outbreaks'..) ...cuz one thing is for Sure - 'Big Pharma' IS an Evil Hydra, and that ol' Money trail, don't lie...

PS - Her 'sources', Fwiw, are in her Top (pinned) comment.. Just so it's not all just based on 'iThinks'.. Astute gal..

jd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJ_51 View Post
*coff coff* ..We interrupt this lively boxing-match to present an 'alternative perspective', from a Very astute young Lady who delivers almost 'sirenly subtle' Logic bombs, that Truly do give pause for Thought... Which is a Good thing, imo, in 'hair-trigger' emotional-topics, such as this..

What the Media Won't Tell You About Ebola | reallygraceful - YouTube ..Hmmm..

ie: '..Man caught dumping formaldehyde into local water supply..' Huh.. Not like some rouge CIA splinter would ever do something like That for a Corporate / Pharma Overlord.. ..So, yeah.. Hmmm...

..NOT suggesting I believe Ebola is 'All just some hoax', but.. Certainly, at the Very least, MSM Coverage of it - which is 99% what Most of us Base our reactions to the "news" of it-all, On (..it's not like we're, personally, In the DRC / On those planes, to 'counter' anything we're told, etc..) Should be subjected to Great, great scrutiny, before we do any 'freaking out'.. ..'Trust but Verify'...

...Also, Not 'declaring it Fact' by posting this perspective, but.. Certainly, good 'Food for thought', (..as-are incidents like WTF - really - happened to 'Timothy Cunningham', there.. Suicide?? Mmmyyeah, not buyin it... Just One example of something - Not - a Theory, but... very well May be part of a bigger Conspiracy.. Such-like 'dominos' worry me more, frankly, than these 'outbreaks'..) ...cuz one thing is for Sure - 'Big Pharma' IS an Evil Hydra, and that ol' Money trail, don't lie...

PS - Her 'sources', Fwiw, are in her Top (pinned) comment.. Just so it's not all just based on 'iThinks'.. Astute gal..

jd
This is the culture of normalcy bias and conspiracy-paranoia based denial that will allow ebola to be successful in Western countries despite technological superiority.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,080 Posts

If you look at the history of ebola outbreaks in Africa, there have been some with large numbers of casualties/deaths and some with relatively small numbers.

The fact that the first ebola outbreaks in the US and other Western countries produced small numbers of cases does not prove anything to me (or provide me with any confidence).

What most concerns me is the potential for widespread panic in the US (more so than other countries). By American standards, the SHTF every day in Africa - so when there is a health crisis like ebola, people there panic to a limited degree (if at all).

But in the US, if an ebola outbreak got to a point where it was clear the authorities had lost control and that the potential existed for virtually anyone/everyone to be exposed, then police/military would stop turning up to work and the whole country would self destruct.

If any event in the US disrupts the ROL and stops the supply trucks rolling into cities (nationwide), then the result is the same and what the event was becomes irrelevant.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Quote:
This is the culture of normalcy bias and conspiracy-paranoia based denial that will allow ebola to be successful in Western countries despite technological superiority.
OK, just a few facts from someone "in the trenches," as it were.
And it's not 'normalcy bias...'

Ebola is a dangerous disease. It's primarily found in sub-saharan Africa, most often among rural, lower economic status people. They come in contact with it through the eating and handling of bush meat. It gets spread due to hygiene issues and contact arising from cultural postmortem practices.

On a scientific level, it's a virus that gets spread through direct contact with body fluids. In layman's terms, it's more contagious than AIDS, less contagious than the flu. Oxygen and sunlight kill it pretty quickly.

We learned - and prepared - a lot after our little Ebola scare here in the US.
And about that:

There have been a eleven cases of Ebola treated in the US, all of them either direct infection from disease carriers in Africa or care-givers exposed to the latter.

Only two case of domestically acquired Ebola are known. Both were nurses that treated the original Ebola patient, Thomas Duncan. A Liberian national who came to the US with the disease in Dallas, TX.
Both nurses survived the infection.
Dozens of other care-givers and employees that came into contact with him never got Ebola.

Two people have been originally diagnosed domestically with Ebola.
The aforementioned Thomas Duncan, and Dr. Craig Spencer, a physician with Doctors Without Borders. Both Duncan and Spencer traveled to the US with the infection but were diagnosed here.
It's important to note that no one that lived with Duncan or Spencer, and no one on either of the flights these two took, ever got Ebola.
Dr. Spencer survived the disease.

The other seven Ebola cases to come to the US were cases diagnosed overseas and medically evacuated to the US for treatment.
Only one of the seven died.

In all, two people have dies of Ebola in the US. Both caught the disease in another country.

The reality is, that Ebola is a nasty disease with a mortality of 50-90% depending on outbreak.
BUT - It is not a huge threat to the US. Differences in cultural hygiene, death care practices, our (now very focused and prepared) medical system, access to medicines, etc... all play in our favor.

It's not Ebola that's going to get us, it's the next hybrid bird/pig/whatever flu that no ones immune system can adjust to that will.

Ebola is hype and name recognition, but it's not the real deal.
Heck, even in Africa with crap hygiene and medical care it only kills a few score here, a hundred there. Think about that, in densely populated third world conditions it still can't get a pandemic hold.
If it can't do it there, it'll never do it here.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:41 PM
SoJer

Thanked 2,709 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
This is the culture of normalcy bias and conspiracy-paranoia based denial...
So, you are asserting her video / the posts comments... is normalcy bias / ebola-denial?? Did you actually Watch the entire vid?

jd
The Following User Says Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post: