Anybody have any great software ideas? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Deals on Bushnell and Vortex Sports Optics gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 09-19-2017 01:37 PM
It's done. (Trump is done) Crixus Political News and Discussion 1318 11-10-2016 10:21 AM

Old 08-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,578 Times in 4,104 Posts
Default Anybody have any great software ideas?

Advertise Here

I am a C# web developer who would like to create something cool and maybe even profitable on the side. What I lack is an idea. You got one? Work in a specialized industry and keep wishing there was a program to do this or that for you? How about want a web site on a topic or interest that doesn't exist?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,445 Times in 555 Posts

Say man, I have had ideas from time to time. I retired from IT work in december. I have dabbled in programming and can sit and watch someone writing code and understand most of it. Can even catch errors sometimes. But it is just too tedious for me.
But, I have kicked ideas around in the last 10 years. I keep thinking a website that deals with auto repair where folks can fix their own stuff, or one devoted to our current political climate and posting TRUTH only, no ideas or feelings, just FACTS that have been verified, proven. I dont know, there has to be something that meets peoples needs in some way. Maybe a site that breaks down by state and helps organize folks to come out and fix our government.
There has to be something that will help further mankind while also helping me survive.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,493 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have a few ideas. Some may or may not be even remotely doable. But here goes.

1) While I know software exists that engineers use to do theoretical testing for various machines and structures, but all of that I have seen has been either very complicated to use, or extremely expensive. Usually both. I would like to see software that makes it relatively easy to design and build objects that need testing using accurate gravitational effects, bearing losses, structural material specifications, and such. Also at least some aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, etc. Accurate to at least test feasibility for projects that will be subject to natural phenomenon.

2) A sourcing website that could find pieces and parts that people in various industries have no trouble obtaining, but everyone else does. A way to identify what was/is used in an object, and where to find those parts or their equivalent.

3) I would really like to see software similar to the SIMS family of games, where you can build the cities without all the restrictions of the game world. While I understand people's need to compete, I would just like to build my own city, with the things I want, without having to let the game decide where and when something is constructed or destroyed. I do not want to compete, even against myself. I just want to see what certain things would look like, without arbitrary limits. It would serve no real purpose, other than letting people create whatever their minds can conceive.

4) In a similar vein, there are games where a person can design their own vehicles, weapons, trucks, and so on. But, again, with all kinds of restrictions, many of them arbitrary. I would want the software to maintain reality limits, at least for some projects, but would not mind to have fantastical creations, as well. Something like DAZ3D, but without all the expense, and difficulty of use.

5) An effective and as accurate as possible program or set of programs for testing financial ideas, that have a way to include real-life add-on costs that most calculators do not includes. Such as local tax rates, real premiums, inflation rates, simple and various compound interest methods, at least some legal consideration in case some things simply are not legal, or would need some type of specific legal work. All based on real world financial numbers, methods, timings (such as when is a trade, purchase, or sale executed, at the time the <Enter> key is pressed, at that exact price and availability, or some other time where the pricing and amounts could be very different.

6) Easy to use, very low cost or cost free, translation software to allow watching and listening to foreign language films or other video work in your native language. (Not likely, I know. But I do believe that if a couple of the steps were automated, to use some of the software that is already available to take audio in one language, convert it to text in that language, and then translate the text to another language so it can be used as subtitles. Even, possibly, then use a text-to-speech converter to also speak it. It would probably not be able to do it live, during playback of the movie or video, but might be a much easier process to run separately, and then watch the converted movie or video.)

7) A website that does not just gather and post pieces and parts of information, such as 'lost arts', 'lost technology', 'suppressed inventions', and other things of that nature, particularly Nikolai Tesla's inventions, but to actually build, test, and refine them to see if they actually do work, in some cases, and if they have actual commercial value, or are simply curiosities. Sort of like the Myth Busters, but much more in depth, testing out things that would have great benefits for society and individuals.

8) Comparative software that will take information from many sources about a subject that has many ways with which it can be dealt, compares them side-by-side, but most importantly, can illustrate ways to use them together to enhance each other. Take gardening, for example. Raised beds, intensive gardening, vertical gardening, greenhouses, mulch, fertilizer, and some of the techniques that I cannot spell, much less pronounce. Things that developed in various areas because they could be done there, due to availability or need, but other things were not. When some of those are combined, there should be a huge increase in production, reduction of use of resources, time, labor, and expense.

9) A website that is affiliated with a community or commercial multi-discipline shop, where one-offs, and small productions runs of items that people have created that have no means to turn them into reality, could. We have a couple of place here in Reno where the equipment is in place, and a person pays a fairly small fee to be able to use it, and brings in their own raw material to use. But many people cannot use the machines to take their drawings or ideas and convert them into hardware, even if they have a place like that near.

10) An on-line store that has the purchasing power to be able to get the discounts we as individuals cannot, so the cheap 'survival' kits that are all over the place, can be created with quality items, but without the huge cost disadvantages of buying single items, with attendant shipping costs, that make 'custom' kits so expensive.

11) A website that can coordinate input from preppers, as to what they want, or have design ideas for, and get the information to suppliers for the materials that would be needed, and to get those to a small scale manufacturer, or in many cases, just a person that can do the work on a per-piece basis. An example would be some of the gear I have mentioned in my 'custom' equipment lists. A vest similar to the FMCO vest that was made for the M-1 Carbine, as opposed to the 7.62mm/5.45mm x 39mm, 5.56mm, and .308 sized magazines. And pouches for those types of weapons that cannot be found elsewhere, except when FMCO was making them. Pouches for .30-'06 stripper clips, .30 Carbine stripper clips and 15-round magazines, SKS stripper clips, and so on.

I am running out of steam. If I think of some more, I will post them.

Just my opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 AM
just surviving

A survivalist program that integrates info from old military manuals and such (like here in the Files section) with Youtube videos, and maybe even forum posts here. To keep the program size reasonable, videos would have to be retrieved from the web the first time but stored locally after that.

And a program to manage Jerry's monster gear lists. With a little cut for him. I guess this could be just a spreadsheet as long as it isn't Microsoft only, maybe Open Office format.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lonereb For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 03:12 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,493 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonereb View Post
… And a program to manage Jerry's monster gear lists. With a little cut for him. I guess this could be just a spreadsheet as long as it isn't Microsoft only, maybe Open Office format.
I would be willing to help with that. No cut required.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,032 Times in 465 Posts

I'd like to have a program that crawls the web and automatically patents every new idea it finds.

William Warren
Old 08-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Target Shooter

Management software (to include inventories and donor data) for small to medium museums that doesn't suck and has an interface that looks like it was made in the last decade.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,364 Times in 6,804 Posts

All I know is, whatever it is, you need to keep the idiots in charge from “improving” the user interface by rearranging the menus based on some nerd input by a guy that doesn’t even USE the thing on a daily basis, hiding or deleting the things I use the most, changing the names of the “macros” to some cool whiz bang name with no relation to what actually happens, and calling it all an “improvement” despite being slower for most users and not changing ANYTHING under the hood.

And I don’t CARE if it looks old...you can smooth the fonts or change the shapes or make the menus pretty, just leave the freaking stuff where it is, or give me the option to keep using the interface I want.

Seriously...EVERY piece of software I have ever enjoyed using for work or pleasure has been fiddled to death with that crap.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,032 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
All I know is, whatever it is, you need to keep the idiots in charge from “improving” the user interface ...

And I don’t CARE if it looks old ... just leave the freaking stuff where it is, or give me the option to keep using the interface I want.

Seriously...EVERY piece of software I have ever enjoyed using for work or pleasure has been fiddled to death with that crap.
Eeeew - (shudders) - a "user."

William Warren, who still knows how to use ISPF.
The Following User Says Thank You to William Warren For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Dog & Reptiles eater

Thanked 1,305 Times in 688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
I am a C# web developer who would like to create something cool and maybe even profitable on the side. What I lack is an idea. You got one? Work in a specialized industry and keep wishing there was a program to do this or that for you?
Myself and my team has already develop something interesting, and it's a BMS (Battlefield Management System) that run in Android phone (or any other Android devices)

Currently thinking of developing machine learning object / visual recognition to be use for drone flight operation, the objective is to make the drone capable of self take-off and landing. I'm aware it's an extremely tall order for the landing part, and I still haven't got a clue how to pull it off

Another project I had in mind is develop something as "bridge" between incompatible data link (STANAG based system to "talk" to Russian system)
The Following User Says Thank You to varuna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 46,768 Times in 10,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
All I know is, whatever it is, you need to keep the idiots in charge from “improving” the user interface by rearranging the menus based on some nerd input by a guy that doesn’t even USE the thing on a daily basis, hiding or deleting the things I use the most, changing the names of the “macros” to some cool whiz bang name with no relation to what actually happens, and calling it all an “improvement” despite being slower for most users and not changing ANYTHING under the hood.

And I don’t CARE if it looks old...you can smooth the fonts or change the shapes or make the menus pretty, just leave the freaking stuff where it is, or give me the option to keep using the interface I want.

You don't mean how microSloth keeps screwing up the windoze user interface? Stupid "user" just gets used to where things are and how to do things and version x.x comes out with a HUGE learning curve just to get back to square one.

Dumb asses.

Get this: Classic Shell http://classicshell.net/
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 AM

Here's a difficult one.

Build a management interface around VM hypervisor software like VMWare that consumerproofs it. Currently setting up and managing hypervisors is decidedly non-trivial.

For those who don't know, a hypervisor is a piece of software that creates and manages virtual machines within one (or more) physical (server) machine. Access to the varied virtual machines is usually through terminals, remote desktop software etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to erikm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 AM

I'm not in IT nor am I a tech whiz but since you have mentioned something about side hustle, I have a side hustle through a blog which makes me a some thousands of dollars a year to add to the bills. I simply decided to create a website using the hPage Website Builder- https://www.hpage.com and monetized my website through affiliate links, sponsorships, and ads and I didn't even have to hire an expensive web designer or web developer to do it.

So through a website creation software I didn't even make, I was able to create my own website which is profitable. In fact, even if I quit my job right now, my niche website would be able to support me for a few months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craftman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
I am a C# web developer who would like to create something cool and maybe even profitable on the side. What I lack is an idea. You got one? Work in a specialized industry and keep wishing there was a program to do this or that for you? How about want a web site on a topic or interest that doesn't exist?
1. Software to circumvent the bundleware installers used by dirtbag sites like CNET, allowing one to download an app into some sort of safe containment (Sandboxie? Virtualbox?), extract and install the target file, then delete the leftover crapware.

2. A browser independent of Firefox or Chrome.

3. Personally I'd like some sort of 'Skip Cert Error' addon for Chrome/Chromium-based browsers on XP Pro, or better yet, I'd pay for a stripped-down version of SuperFish, Privdog, Sendori, etc., nixing the adware/malware components, and leaving behind its HTTPS circumventing proxy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Senex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,696 Times in 791 Posts

Loved taking C# in college, but after graduation never used it again except for small projects. The semester after I took it, the school stopped offering it. It was as much fun as Python, another language I never used after school.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post: