Tac-14 First Shots - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCIS Season 14 - Beginning of the End Batko10 Books, Movies & Stories 5 12-19-2017 09:54 AM
why bother with pure iron sight ar15 builds?? jwf Military Weapons Forum 371 06-01-2017 10:57 AM
The ideal two week food supply? mygunisjammed Food and water 25 05-15-2017 09:01 AM
SIG P227 TAC 45 ACP 4.9" Threaded 14 Rd SRT Night Sights from $869.99 shipped wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 02-04-2017 06:18 PM
Ranger 14'' Waterproof Hunting Boots for Men Realtree AP (SIZE 12) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-29-2016 02:23 PM

Old 07-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Kiss my Grass

Thanked 2,252 Times in 737 Posts

Advertise Here

I've an S&J +1 coming, with follower/wave washer/spring... Gotta work them dimples out tho...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ManVsLawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Prepared

DustyBones, the follower will be in the mail with the new barrel.

Manvslawn, I have decided to drill my dimples rather than swage. Not only to save the cost of buying the tool, which I would have to do to convince myself it would be a good job but the tool is not the only consideration when hammering on that brazed mag tube. I figure it would actually be less "invasive" or "traumatic" to just drill out the dimples. I have a lot more drilling and sanding tools than "hold this thin gauge tube exactly in place without warping it while smacking this other tool thingy into it with a hammer and DON'T WARP IT" tools.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,529 Times in 518 Posts

I picked up the Tac14 over the Shockwave just because of the smoother racking and a healthier sounding rack of the slide.

Almost the difference of the sound from closing a GTO door vs a Pinto.

Hope to shoot this week, I put a vertical Sig laser and light grip on the forearm
The Following User Says Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Prepared

I got the dimples drilled out this evening and added the plus one extension and follower(stole it back from the 870T). While I had the drill out, I put a sling stud in the shockwave grip since the plus one had a sling mount built in also. Now it wears a Magpul MS1. After some practice and dry firing I think I'm going to dig it. The sling mount on the plus one doubles as a handstop and a little insurance to keep digits out of the line of fire. The sling did not once get between my hand and the forend when practicing from slung to ready.
I have been doing plenty of tinkering with the birdshead this week. I got a Hogue hand all and it was too big to be snug around the smaller parts of the grip. I thought I would stuff some material underneath to fill it out, but that didn't work out either. I found that the bigger I made the grip, the less comfortable it was for my wrist. After some trial and error, I scrapped the hand all and went looking for something else. Baseball bat grip tape... nope, not secure enough for me. I picked up a Hand All Junior thinking that there was no way I would get it on but I did eventually and it's great. Not too big for the wrist comfort and one finger groove that when I put between my middle and "ring" finger, indexes the trigger nicely. Wrapped it with some hockey stick tape to make sure it stays put. We will see.

Going for another test drive this weekend. I don't expect the ported barrel to show tomorrow but I'm hoping that the M-lok handstop for the forend is in the mailbox when I get off work.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Prepared

Fatbastard, you might want some of this to build up your grip. I put it on a plastic Crosman pistol stock. After it cured, it stuck to that plastic well. Not hard to trim after curing, but better to form it as you wish it to appear before curing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,683 Times in 4,341 Posts

Stippling worked for me on my Shockwave.

I tried using a piece of inner tube first on recommendations by others. Took me half an hour to get it on, and firing the first 6 rounds afterwards, it was bunched up against the safety at the top of the grip.

The stippling works great, especially if you have calloused hands. I did both the handguard and the grip. I do pretty much anything plastic that needs handling, especially wet/sweaty handling. Ive done it to most of my Glocks, AR's and AK's, as well as a few knives and other things. Its simple to do too.

If you want to get an idea as to what its like, try some skateboard tape first. Youll get the idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Kiss my Grass

Thanked 2,252 Times in 737 Posts

Try some 3m grip tape on the birdshead grip...works well for some.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Prepared

Thanks for the suggestions all. Last weekends test drive went well. I had my oldest son with me and let him run some mini slugs and bird shot through it. I ran some more slugs and mil spec buckshot. We ran about 50 rounds with zero malfunctions again so I was happy with that. The Hand All Junior and hockey tape seem to be doing well.
My hand stop showed on Monday. I only used one third of the mount section and the smallest tab to keep everything as low profile as possible.
The better news is that my barrel showed up today. I have heard rave reviews about the recoil reduction the porting provides. Acquiring the rifle sights is fast and easy in practice, a different world entirely from the stock bead. To understate it, I'm stoked to give this a good work out.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflincher View Post
Fatbastard, you might want some of this to build up your grip. I put it on a plastic Crosman pistol stock. After it cured, it stuck to that plastic well. Not hard to trim after curing, but better to form it as you wish it to appear before curing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I might still try this as I noticed that the rifle sights on the new barrel place the weapon just a tad lower in my hands over all. I discovered earlier that making the grip bigger was not exactly better as it takes very little to position my wrist in an un comfortable position. The rifle sights might allow for building up the birds head just a tad more. Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Prepared

[QUOTE=Fatbastard;
My hand stop showed on Monday. I only used one third of the mount section and the smallest tab to keep everything as low profile as possible.[/QUOTE]

OK, don't ever do this. I got off 2 rounds and my finger was begging for mercy. The third round was assurance for stupid that this set up will not fly. Removed the hand stop completely now and will re test.

I was in a bad spot and I didn't have my targets or my 4x4 to get to a better spot. I didn't fancy calling my boss and telling him his 2wd F550 was stuck in a wash (the thing breaks down often enough on pavement).
Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Prepared

I once shot an Air Force 12 gauge 870, 12 or maybe 13 inch barrel with a schnable detail on the pump. First shot fired, I thought I'd blown away the forefinger of my support hand!

My shorties are a Class III 590 12 gauge, a Shockwave 12 and a Mossberg 500 20 gauge. Both 12s have the little nylon strap and I ALWAYS use 'em!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:05 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

I been shooting mine even more lately. Hardly any critters left around me. 9 out of 10 varmints I killed this year was with the Tac14 with anything from 7 steel shot to OO buck.

Shot a lot of my haul of LE132 and in mine with this lot, there is no 9th pellet flier and only a touch more recoil. Federal 3 1/4 dram 1220fps 1/4oz number 4 shot is light recoiling and the pellets hit about as hard as number 6 shot from a longer barrel. Still popping off starlings and blackbirds on the wing with Winchester steel 7 shot.

After 1000 rounds through it, it’s like pointing a finger. If this thing locks on to a target, live or static it’s getting tagged.

Such a handy little power house of a package. It delivers massive amounts of killing power for its size.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Prepared

Dusty,is your buckshot Hornady?

My local Ace Hardware has Critical defense 8 pellet #00 on clearance for 7$ per 10. I have been getting 2 or 3 every payday. I haven't put any through the Tac14 yet, It's probably going to be pretty rowdy at 1600 fps. Mostly stocking up on it for the 870 tactical.

I haven't shot the Tac 14 since the last update. I injured my left wrist at work and I don't want to aggravate it so I am trying to let it heal up completely. I did get a non mim extractor installed as well as a Hogue forend just to try it out. It was cheap enough and I can use it on a few other guns if it doesn't end up living on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbastard View Post
Dusty,is your buckshot Hornady?

My local Ace Hardware has Critical defense 8 pellet #00 on clearance for 7$ per 10. I have been getting 2 or 3 every payday. I haven't put any through the Tac14 yet, It's probably going to be pretty rowdy at 1600 fps. Mostly stocking up on it for the 870 tactical.

I haven't shot the Tac 14 since the last update. I injured my left wrist at work and I don't want to aggravate it so I am trying to let it heal up completely. I did get a non mim extractor installed as well as a Hogue forend just to try it out. It was cheap enough and I can use it on a few other guns if it doesn't end up living on this one.
Hold up on the full power loads. Start out with 1oz “game and target” loads for a few hundred rounds. Then move up to 1255fps 1 1/8oz loads then a few hundred 1 1/4oz 1220fps loads. After that a move up to 1330fps 1 1/4oz loads will feel like them 1oz loads you started out with. Then shoot up them fast Hornady rounds. Jumping right in to full power with this platform won’t help you become the best you can with it as quickly.

Take it easy on that wrist then get after it. The 1000 rounds you put through it goes quick and you’ll smooth out that already smooth action even more. Mine runs like a grandpas wingmaster that’s run pheasant fields for decades now.

I have shot the Hornady. It’s good but the federal flite control can not be beat. I want to try the Winchester razor back version that splits the velocity bifference from Federal to Hornady with 8 OO pellets. Too expensive. Maybe for hunting but I really like the LE132 patterns. That’s more important to me than speed. The pellets hardly deform with the federal flite control. Real good stuff.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:52 PM

I've noticed that those box mag fed versions use a Super Magnum receiver.

Has me wondering if I can't have a place like Suarez International make me up a 3-1/2" super mag variant.😈

With the arm brace of course.....and ported. Right now I'm working up a home defense variant of the standard super mag. Got it all stripped down to clean up and remove the matte bluing before putting it in the Parkerizing tank.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Prepared

I have been at this almost a year now and here are my observations.

The Suarez barrel, ported with rifle sights has been nothing short of a miracle for this gun. I was struggling for a while with the decision to put a pistol grip and brace on it to make it more shooter (recoil) friendly with all types of ammo but in the end, I decided that portability is the most desired feature of this particular weapon.

I'm not going to lie, shooting full on 00 buck and slugs repeatedly and accurately is a challenge with this gun. I am" a big strong man" and this is hard to admit but here I am.

I have grown EXTREMELY fond of the Federal 00 Buck Personal Defense rounds at 9 copper plated pellets traveling 1145 FPS according to the box.
The Federal Law Enforcement rounds with 9 pellets at 1325 FPS are also well suited to this particular weapon. After that, you get in to the grey area of "can I wield and sustain this weapon to it's magazine capacity with confidence and accuracy?" The answer to both relies heavily on practice and secondarily preference. Olin/ Winchester Mil spec 00 buck is where I drew the line at about 1500 FPS. Hornady Critical Defense rounds that boast 8 pellets at 1600 FPS are now reserved for stocked weapons where my precious face is not in peril if I forget to, or can't wield it properly in the heat of the moment.

Do you get the point yet that I LOVE carrying this little package of destruction on tap wherever I go? I keep it in a Victoria's Secret can cooler bag that never gets a second look so my family and I have dubbed it "The Yoga Mat". The only "improvement" that I feel I have left to do is sink a QD sling swivel to fit flush with the raptor grip.

I had a friend apply KG GunKote in deep flat black to everything but the barrel about 4 months ago. I did get the all too common rust on the receiver which I attributed to too much carry and not enough cleanings. I also have stuck with the Hogue forened in favor of the Magpul because my big fat hands prefer it. The Suarez plus one extension/follower/sling mount has worked well but I am considering the sling mount from GGG as it will not swivel and contact the barrel as long as your barrel has the detent ball slots milled in. Minor detail.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,828 Times in 4,701 Posts

I recently picked up the TAC14 with the DM870 6-round magazine feature. Have yet to go to the range with it. I have a short sling and fore-end strap and 3 extra mags for it so far. Practicing with dummy shells, it loads easily enough and has a nice action to it.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:15 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,529 Times in 518 Posts

I keet looking at the new extreme thin braces. But if I occasionally did mistakenly shoulder it would that puppy really hurt? Remmington now sells a Tac-14 w a brace and it is more of a conventional arm brace with velcro strap. Looks a bit more forgiving.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Prepared

The only brace I would consider for this would be an SB. All I own right now are KAK braces and they are only used for pistol caliber pistols. I wouldn't want a 12g pushing that into my shoulder for sure
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,788 Times in 4,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbastard View Post
The Suarez barrel, ported with rifle sights has been nothing short of a miracle for this gun. I was struggling for a while with the decision to put a pistol grip and brace on it to make it more shooter (recoil) friendly with all types of ammo but in the end, I decided that portability is the most desired feature of this particular weapon.
This is good to hear. I'm now strongly considering sending my bbl off to Suarez to port and add better front post added. I would like to add a rear sight or maybe a MRDS. If I was going to leave it "brace-less", I would add a quality laser; however, my goal is to add a brace, preferably folding, but we'll see. Of course with all those mods, it may just be cheaper to SBS

ROCK6