Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What a Preppers Arsenal Should Be Marlin94 Firearms General Discussion 102 08-27-2017 07:46 PM
Help me round out my collection... Kodiak Jack Firearms General Discussion 34 04-27-2017 07:14 AM
Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum rifle H006 (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-06-2016 10:24 AM

Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Prepared

Default How to protect ears while big game hunting?

Advertise Here

I hunt elk and deer in thick trees. Most of my shots are between 30 and 80 yards. I generally walk through the trees very slowly and listen and watch. Sometimes I see the animal first - other times they smell me first. But most of my shots have to be made very quickly. I hunt with a bullet in the chamber and the safety on. I suffer hearing loss already which was likely from firearms or chainsaws. I don't want to wear ear plugs while hunting and I don't have time to put them on before shooting. I see there are some expensive ear devices with less than positive reviews. Subsonic ammo isn't powerful enough for elk...generally. What can be done?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Don't mind me...

Location: Somewhere, everywhere, inside and outside the confines.

I don't have much experience with expensive ear pro but Surefire EP7s work pretty good, protection good enough to take the edge off a rifle shot but you should still hear a deer before you see it.

I like them best for highway driving because it helps dull the drone and wind noise but I can still hear nearby vehicles. But wear them shooting too as did the guy I got them from. I'm not sure I could go back to foam plugs or old fashion muffs after wearing better earpro that lets me hear what's going on.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,036 Posts

Suppressors for everyone!!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northslope View Post
I hunt elk and deer in thick trees. Most of my shots are between 30 and 80 yards. I generally walk through the trees very slowly and listen and watch. Sometimes I see the animal first - other times they smell me first. But most of my shots have to be made very quickly. I hunt with a bullet in the chamber and the safety on. I suffer hearing loss already which was likely from firearms or chainsaws. I don't want to wear ear plugs while hunting and I don't have time to put them on before shooting. I see there are some expensive ear devices with less than positive reviews. Subsonic ammo isn't powerful enough for elk...generally. What can be done?

Your using the wrong ear plugs then.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...k-package.html
Have used the above ear plugs via multiple yr long minimum touts in Iraq and Stan.......and use them while hunting, to include elk, bison, bear, and moose. ( Deer antelope, and hogs by the truck loads.)

Note suppressors help, but you still need to protect your hearing when shooting supersonic ammunition.

My hunting rifle in pic below. Other pic shows 3 different hunting loads I use. ( 185gr subsonic means a very close shot at inside 40 yards)

Note: Suppressed subsonic ammo is the only CF rifle fodder that does not require ear pro.

Note: 308 Barnes TTSX is my go to big game load for anything in NA.

Note: The Winchester POWER MAX is fast becoming my favorite deer/ antelope load.

Last pic: A Ruger 22 45 LITE with can and using CCI std velocity ammo. ( Pot stew meat while hunting big critters)
Suppressor never leaves the gun unless Im cleaning it. No ear pro required.

One suggestion. ........Protect your hearing above all else in this case.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_100618.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	272634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_132539.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	272642  
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,395 Posts

I have hunted with and fired .22lr, 30-06, 12 gauge, and a couple different BP rifles. Normally it's a one and done, so I didn't even notice the report that much. It's not like at the range with several shots over and over in addition to the other weapons being fired too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 PM
begger of beer

What about a set of electronic muffs? The Howard Leigh muffs I use amplify over ambient. Only down side is the ear cups are shallow. My ears ache after a few hours of use.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...eight+earmuffs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,026 Times in 4,468 Posts

I use electronic ear pro when hunting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,584 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post
I have hunted with and fired .22lr, 30-06, 12 gauge, and a couple different BP rifles. Normally it's a one and done, so I didn't even notice the report that much. It's not like at the range with several shots over and over in addition to the other weapons being fired too.
I have the same sort of experience -- .22LR, .30/06, 7mm Mag, .44 mag, 12 ga -- and don't notice the report. Maybe it's the adrenaline in your system, the focus on the target, or some other magical mystery thing . . . it just doesn't seem to be a problem compared to target shooting at the range.
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,079 Times in 3,464 Posts

I use earplugs that act as a deadener when a loud sudden noise occurs or as amplifiers when just being worn.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,392 Posts

I also recommend the electronic muffs. I can actually turn the volume way up on my bad ear side and hear better than I do without the muffs on!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenrell For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Pusher of brooms

Given the time, some kind of protection is always used.
I'll ride around with one earplug in and the other hanging ready to go.

My hearing is already screwed up enough to ruin any more when there's an option.

Soon as I can afford a can, one will be added to the hunting gear.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,064 Times in 523 Posts

I have been using the Walker Razors, they amplify the surrounding noises, and block out gun shots. Only bad thing is the batteries only last about 6 hours, but you can charge them on the go with one of those usb chargers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 06:31 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,045 Posts

WHEN out hunting with something that hurts the ears I wear soft plugs, not tight but just tucked into the ear canal. I can still hear all the woodland sounds and if a shot presents all I have to do is just give a quick push to seal up.

I get so used to them that I have worn them without even noticing them until someone asks or reminds me I have them in.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,006 Times in 632 Posts

Be a bad hunter, make a lot of noise, your ears will be fine.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Be a bad hunter, make a lot of noise, your ears will be fine.
This right here. Been hunting my whole life and never wore any.

Far worse is being 10 yards from two M240s on each side of you talking it out for 1300 rounds while singing along with a M249 with the short barrel in front of you.

I got some loss but not as much as you’d think. Standing out a hatch making the same M249 sing while a M2 blows up your left ear, now that caused a ring I still got.

You’d be lucky to be exposed in a lifetime to 1300 rounds unprotected, let alone in a few minutes.

Wear them at the range and for practice. Just hunt, you’ll be fine.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

Northslope:

You stated that you suffer from hearing loss already. ( You would be surprised at how many folks who shoot firearms often have hearing loss and do not realize the extent of damage they have already.)

Educate yourself......

https://www.asha.org/public/hearing/...oise-Exposure/

At the very least, talk with your doctor about it.

Nobody here knows what hearing you have left. ( Once it is gone then its gone for good....and there is no combat guru story that is gonna bring it back)

Protect what you have left.

11B
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northslope View Post
I have the same problem. First, do not wear any hearing aids when you're shooting or hunting. Next, I use electronic ear muffs like these: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...waAiWVEALw_wcB .

They enhance normal sounds, but sudden large noises are reduced.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,657 Times in 4,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Northslope:

You stated that you suffer from hearing loss already. ( You would be surprised at how many folks who shoot firearms often have hearing loss and do not realize the extent of damage they have already.)

Educate yourself......

https://www.asha.org/public/hearing/...oise-Exposure/

At the very least, talk with your doctor about it.

Nobody here knows what hearing you have left. ( Once it is gone then its gone for good....and there is no combat guru story that is gonna bring it back)

Protect what you have left.

11B
I think this is the correct direction to go.

We grew up shooting without any real ear protection, pretty much into our teens. Most of that large caliber guns on high volume ranges/outings, and a lot of sustained full auto. Not just your occasional shot here and there.

Add to that, years of heavy construction around a lot of heavy equipment (even with ear protection), and my ears are pretty much gone. Both have a screaming ring and buzz right now as I type.

I was tested in my late teens and already showed considerable loss, especially in the high frequency end. Once you lose it, it's gone. It doesn't recover or come back.

If you've already lost hearing, then you know what's up, and what's already lost, and know it's not going to get better. Do what it takes to keep what's left.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,375 Posts

Invest in a bow and arrow

They used to have a thing called a walkers game ear that would make you hear better while hunting but protect your hearing when you would shoot... I don’t have any experience with it though
Old 06-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,677 Times in 4,814 Posts

I run electronic muffs while pheasant hunting. I do not do it while big game hunting but I plan on getting something like these soon so that I can wear them at all times.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-TEP-100-Ta...d909d0fec1805f

I refuse to be one of the "old farts" that is always saying "what!?"