Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medicinal Herbs? Xion Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 23 08-09-2016 06:18 AM
Medicinal plants and herbs for healing diseases. spletnes Health, Fitness and First Aid 6 08-08-2016 05:44 PM
Medicinal herbs and other gardening books Jamesconn Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 05-24-2014 11:43 PM
Medicinal Herbs neovenus Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 26 10-14-2012 09:54 AM
What Medicinal Herbs are You growing? SuzanneTx Ladies Section 29 06-12-2011 02:21 AM
Importance of Medicinal Herbs optimist45 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 06-03-2011 11:38 AM
New to Medicinal Plants and Herbs Bearspirit Edible & Non-Edible Plants 8 02-05-2011 10:21 PM
A few Medicinal herbs to plant eeyore Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 06-21-2007 02:09 PM

Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 AM

Default wow

Advertise Here

these are greatly helpful to me
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to lovchil16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Prepared

Has anybody heard of a plant used as a poultice that is near a miracle plant when it comes to healing wounds? Not stopping the blood flow but healing wounds that common western medicine has failed. I read an article or blog about it and I kick myself for not copying it. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to payabontim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Default Star anise & Tamiflu

Star anise is one of the main ingredients in Tamiflu, google it....I don't know how it's used in the Tamiflu drug but it's great heated in apple cider with a cinnamon stick. I heat all the ingredients in a pot on low for about 10 minutes. Wow, It's great after being out in the cold... If anyone knows more about it's properties I'm all ears!

Last edited by g1rock; 10-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to g1rock For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Default diabetics herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Anybody know a herb that helps ?
The Jerusalem artichoke was mentioned by Edward Casey as a substitute for insulin..Best bet is to google : (Jerusalem artichoke was mentioned by Edward Casey) Also google : ( A Solution For Diabetes: A Plant-Based Diet) If I had to choose between my health and meat, My health would take priority. I eat less and less meat as I get older anyway. Stay healthy!
The Following User Says Thank You to g1rock For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by payabontim View Post
Has anybody heard of a plant used as a poultice that is near a miracle plant when it comes to healing wounds? Not stopping the blood flow but healing wounds that common western medicine has failed. I read an article or blog about it and I kick myself for not copying it. Thanks.
I believe you mean mullein. The leaves are large and a bit soft like flannel. boiled, cooled, bind on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razadp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 PM
angel waiting

Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,333 Posts

Graywolf I would love to start a patch of medicinal herbs in the garden next year any suggestions for what book I should buy to research them?
The Following User Says Thank You to tadbitangelny For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by payabontim View Post
Comfrey leaf poultice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Anybody know a herb that helps diabetics ?
Stevia helps to regulate blood sugar, and is much sweeter than sugar. You can buy pure stevia from Whole Foods and some health food stores.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packrat09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Anybody know a herb that helps diabetics ?
I've read that the root bark of Devil's Club is very helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Last Frontier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
i find it to be a great idea to plant all kinds of medicinal herbs. Harvest them instead of searching for them!
I do this with plants that will grow in my area, but that I have not found growing wild. I have also cultivated some that are either in limited supply here or that are difficult to reach. The problem I have found is that the tinctures, teas and salves I've made from cultivated plants are not as effective as those from wild plants. Certainly better than nothing, though. Some plants seem to do better than others. Cultivated Yarrow does all right. Comfrey is wonderful! The wormwood I have grown in my garden is pathetic. However, I have found that when plants I have grown in my herb garden begin popping up elsewhere, the teas and other things are almost, if not as effective as from the wild, even when they come up in poor ground in the middle of or beside a trail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Last Frontier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 AM

Default Milk thistle

Graywolf,

I believe this plant grows where I live. I will have to go there and check, but I really think this is the pesky prickly plant we could not get rid of by the lake. May not be able to actually tell until they grow again next year. But they sure look like the picture. I will take some pictures if they are still standing of the dried plant and post them.
The Following User Says Thank You to packrat09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alergyfree View Post
Comfrey leaf poultice
Yes, definitely Comfrey, leaf or root. It grows everywhere here (S.E.Alaska). Story goes when white man showed up here they were amazed that the native's broken bones healed in 2-3 weeks instead of 6-9. It was comfrey. Just be sure no infection has set in, it builds new cells so fast it'll heal a wound right over the infection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabinfever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Time to reap has come

Thanked 3,916 Times in 2,019 Posts
Smile Natural Antibiotics/storage options?

I have a special needs child(many medical issues) and a few years ago we thought we was loosing our little guy! So many hospital stays, docs, some surgeries etc. and yet he was getting worse and they was just adding more and more medications to him. I found myself desperate and started to learn about natural. My son is now down to 1 med, 99% siezure free, etc etc. During this time of learning and adding natural we also learned of natural antibiotics(viral/bacterial/yeast killers). A couple of them are Olive leaf extract and the strongest of them all Garlic. Our family has been antibiotic free for some time now thanks to these natural forms. My 1st question is, what other forms of natural antibiotics/viral killers are out there? 2nd although we have plenty of the Olive leaf/garlics etc on hand I often think of long term storage. What suggestions do any have. The best I could think of is vaccume sealing. Is this ok, would it work for storage years? Does herbs/garlic need oxygen or can they be stored? I also have wondered about airtight food storage buckets with oxygen absorbers?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestTime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev82abn View Post
good info, thanks
always knew dandelion could be eaten, just didn't know it was good for you, being loaded with all the good stuff.
thanks again.
BTW....can you post color photos along with the descriptions, i am printing some of the questions/replies now that i have a printer
i'm italian.... we eat it like crazy.... it's free...
The Following User Says Thank You to pbucc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Survivor

Wow great thread, I had to subscribe to this one...
Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 PM

I've heard that Ginger does wonders for health, sickness, upset stomach and even girly cramps! Any thoughts on that? I always boil it in water and make ginger tea along with lemon and honey when I'm sick. I don't even know if it's helping, but I do it anyways.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WilderMiss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Hunter

you forgot Kudzu
Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 PM

All very helpful
Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 AM

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I am a certified herbalist and have 4 years independent study in mycology (mushrooms).

First, good post. Good information.

Second, I must say right away that NO ONE should use pennyroyal for ANYTHING (saw that recommended a few replies back). It is very toxic in high doses, and long term exposure can lead to serious health risks, including cancer.

Third, whoever was asking about the aspirin herb, it's willow, although it doesn't contain aspirin in any trace amounts, but rather aspirin-like compounds in significant amounts. Use the bark.

Fourth, the miracle herb that stops bleeding is not comfrey, dandelion, nor plantain. It is yarrow (which someone mentioned). Yarrow has been used for millennia by civilizations on all continents as the premier medicine for injuries, especially in times of war. It contains over 100 biologically active compounds (possibly as many as 300), including antivirals, antimicrobials, antifungals, antioxidants, analgesics, antiseptics, and at least 12 identified anti inflammatory compounds. It stimulates the immune system and reduces the symptoms of cold and flu. It stops bleeding dead in its tracks, and I have personally made a tincture of yarrow which I soaked a finger in that I cut while chopping veggies. The blood coagulated literally before my eyes and pooled at the bottom of the glass. After 10 minutes the pain stopped, the wound was sterile, and the cut healed remarkably fast. I didn't even need a band-aid.
This needs to be added to the list.

Just to make an honorable mention:
DATURA -- a common ornamental in temperate zones, commonly known as "angel trumpet"
HIGHLY toxic in high doses, and not to be toyed with. Species of Datura and Brugmansia (tree datura) contain Atropine, Scopolamine, and Hyoscamine, which are anticholinergics. The plant can be used in small amounts (no more than one single leaf of average size) to cure and prevent motion sickness. It is best used as an emergency supplement during an asthma attack. Dry a leaf and save it for this occasion. To apply, simply burn enough of the leaf to inhale a full breath of thin smoke. The compounds in Datura act as mild topical muscle relaxers, and when inhaled act directly on the diaphragm, effectively halting an asthma attack.

NO ONE SHOULD MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT HERBS IF THEY ARE NOT ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE SAYING, PERIOD!

Last edited by lysergic_milkman; 02-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lysergic_milkman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 PM

we should also add to this turmeric and orange pee. oil can treat some cancers,turmeric is highly anti-inflammation. also fenugreek and many other spices.cinnamon can regulate blood sugar slightly and so can bitter gourd.even fig leaf tea can help diabetics,and diabetes is bad in a survival situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to syrian For This Useful Post: