Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger LCP II 380acp 6rd (90261) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-17-2017 01:46 PM
Ruger LCP II 380 New Model Improved Trigger Sights 6 Rd From $269.99 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 01-25-2017 09:22 PM
Review: Burris XTR II 5x-25x50mm Scope AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-03-2016 02:30 PM
Review: Ruger American Compact Rifle in 308 Win AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-10-2016 02:30 PM
Ruger LCP II 380 New Model Improved Trigger Sights 6 Rd From $279 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 10-07-2016 03:32 PM

Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Another Brick in the Wall

Default Ruger LCP II Quick Review

Advertise Here

Just picked up an LCP II today to use as a summer pocket CCW. Paid $269 and picked up a couple boxes of .380 including a box of Hornady Critical Defense for carry.

Fired a total of 55 rounds so far, 50 FMJ and 5 rounds of the Hornady. Not much I know but unfortunately I ran out of money. All rounds fired at approx. 20'. First couple mags I was a little low left, but quickly got used to it and consistently hit close to center target the rest of the way. No malfunctions of any kind! The trigger is awesome, very smooth. Feels very Glock like to me with the trigger blade safety, and has about a 6# break. Recoil was negligable and very easy to score center hits with double tap point shooting at that range. Unlike the gen 1 LCP, this one will lock the slide back after the last round. It came with a pocket holster, and my only complaint is that it tended to come out of my pocket with the gun sometimes on draw. I suspect it will get looser the more I use it. Would have been nice if it came with an extra mag, but I can always pick one up. It did come with two mag floor plates, a flat plate and one with a little flare to rest your ring finger and get a decent two finger grip.

Overall I am very happy! This is a sweet little piece at a good price and will make a great summer pocket gun and a nice alternative to my S&W 642.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Prepared

I have been wanting to pick one of these up. Have you attempted to eject a live round while racking the slide? The reason I ask is that I have heard some folks having some issues trying to do so. They seem like a really nice pistol though! I am looking for a small .380 to carry during warmer months.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,830 Times in 5,141 Posts

Good review.
How are recoil and how hard is the slide to rack?

Wife is looking for something different than her CW9, and I got her one of those cheap Shield's, but not sure how she likes it yet.
Looking for alternatives.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmedman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstrike View Post
I have been wanting to pick one of these up. Have you attempted to eject a live round while racking the slide? The reason I ask is that I have heard some folks having some issues trying to do so. They seem like a really nice pistol though! I am looking for a small .380 to carry during warmer months.
Before leaving the range I loaded it with the Hornady for the ride home, including one in the chamber. When I got home I unloaded the gun to clean it by first removing the mag and then racking the slide and the chambered round ejected as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Good review.

Wife is looking for something different than her CW9, and I got her one of those cheap Shield's, but not sure how she likes it yet.
Recoil was mild by my standards. Much less than my 642 with .38+P. The slide is very easy to rack thanks to nice serrations front and rear. I think it would be a perfect gun for a lady.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Good review.

Another good 380 to look at is the sig p238. I bought one for my wife she loves it. I liked it so much I bought myself one as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to db661 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Prepared

That is good to hear G54. I'm planning on buying one soon. Thanks for your time to post a review!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammerstrike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstrike View Post
That is good to hear G54. I'm planning on buying one soon. Thanks for your time to post a review!
No problem! I'll update when I shoot more rounds. Hickok45 on YouTube did a real good review with lots of rounds downrange.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Here's a pretty impressive torture test on the LCP II. Also during the test the guy accidently hits the mag release. This also happened to me, which was actually good in way because now I know to be careful of thumb placement to avoid that from happening.

https://youtu.be/uz4BkQjHCP0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G54 View Post
Here's a pretty impressive torture test on the LCP II. Also during the test the guy accidently hits the mag release. This also happened to me, which was actually good in way because now I know to be careful of thumb placement to avoid that from happening.

https://youtu.be/uz4BkQjHCP0
I wish these pocket pistols were made with a heel mag release. But they wouldn't sell, even though the majority of people probably won't carry an extra mag with these types of guns. Not that a heel mag release can't be plenty fast with some practice. I think it was 1980 or 81 when the world IPSC match was won with a heel mag release, against 1911's with side buttons. I shaved the mag release button down on a couple pocket pistols to keep them from being so easy to hit accidentally.

These little guns have a lot more value than most of us old school pistoleros ever thought back in the day. As an all the time gun, even when you're carrying something more effective, or for when concealment is difficult. I usually have one in my pocket during my waking hours. I understand it's limitations, and carry something bigger as well most of the time. But even in swim trunks, it's there.

Rule #1 of gunfighting is still..... have a gun

And BTW, .32 or .380 ball ammo will penetrate 15"-20" in gel. A couple of the newer .380 HP's may do 10"-11", but I still carry ball. More than sufficient to get into the engine room, cheap to practice with, and always feed. Multiple hits at close range will be similar to buckshot. More holes = more chances to hit something important. I practice mag dumps at 5-15 feet with my little gats, and it's amazing how fast you can put 7 or 8 rounds COM in the blink of an eye..... with practice. You can save your life with one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
I wish these pocket pistols were made with a heel mag release. But they wouldn't sell, even though the majority of people probably won't carry an extra mag with these types of guns. Not that a heel mag release can't be plenty fast with some practice. I think it was 1980 or 81 when the world IPSC match was won with a heel mag release, against 1911's with side buttons. I shaved the mag release button down on a couple pocket pistols to keep them from being so easy to hit accidentally.

These little guns have a lot more value than most of us old school pistoleros ever thought back in the day. As an all the time gun, even when you're carrying something more effective, or for when concealment is difficult. I usually have one in my pocket during my waking hours. I understand it's limitations, and carry something bigger as well most of the time. But even in swim trunks, it's there.

Rule #1 of gunfighting is still..... have a gun

And BTW, .32 or .380 ball ammo will penetrate 15"-20" in gel. A couple of the newer .380 HP's may do 10"-11", but I still carry ball. More than sufficient to get into the engine room, cheap to practice with, and always feed. Multiple hits at close range will be similar to buckshot. More holes = more chances to hit something important. I practice mag dumps at 5-15 feet with my little gats, and it's amazing how fast you can put 7 or 8 rounds COM in the blink of an eye..... with practice. You can save your life with one.

I agree 100%. I used to carry a Beretta Tomcat .32 and just like this .380 I figure if it comes to it, just empty the mag c.o.m. and it should do the job. And there is no excuse not to have it on me. Thing weighs like 11 oz.

I really like the Hornady Critical Defense rounds because although they are a HP, they have a center plug that helps them feed more like ball.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I think it would be a perfect gun for a lady.
Ahemmm....

It might be the perfect gun for any man or woman that decides it meets their particular needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I agree 100%. I used to carry a Beretta Tomcat .32 and just like this .380 I figure if it comes to it, just empty the mag c.o.m. and it should do the job. And there is no excuse not to have it on me. Thing weighs like 11 oz.

I really like the Hornady Critical Defense rounds because although they are a HP, they have a center plug that helps them feed more like ball.
Yeah, those certainly look really good in the tests I've seen. I tend to carry my 6.5 oz P32 a lot, and ball makes the most sense for me in that one. And you're right, no reason to not have it in my pocket anytime I have clothes on.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,742 Times in 2,386 Posts

Thanks for the review. My dad wants one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,023 Times in 477 Posts

Thanks for the review. I just ordered the LCP custom. I shot a friend's last weekend and was really impressed. They seem very concealable. Makes a good BUG and a summer carry option. I also ordered a few mags from Midway.
The Following User Says Thank You to ancient christian For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 PM

I have an lcp that go's on with my pants every morn. While I wouldn't knowingly go to a gun fight with it, If you know you're going to a gunfight you can usually avoid it !!
The Following User Says Thank You to chigger digger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Prepared

I like my Ruger LCP (version 1). really begged for a laser though because the sights were very low profile. But it is designed for close range anyway. Handy little gun when you go places where you have to tuck your shirt in.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM
1, 2, 3 - HAM I am!!

Location: in a house...sometimes, someone's else house...other times, contracted house made of tarp or canvas

Got one of these beauties today! 250.75 with no tax. Got some ammo to go with and just ordered a DTOM Combo pocket/IWB from the Amazonian site. Going to buy 1k rounds online shortly.

Got it today as a remembrance to 9-11 and all I've done to maintain the freedom of this great nation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Propofol For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,081 Posts

I have two. Trigger is good. Got two Mika pocket holsters.
No problem to carry one in each pocket
Recommended
Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,878 Times in 5,421 Posts

Seeing as the EC9s is a 9mm (way cheaper ammo) with same trigger, more capacity and about $40 less, what do you see as an advantage with the LCP II.

It is a tad smaller but the size difference is really not that significant IMO.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,081 Posts

Hard to compare a 10 ounce gun with a 17 ounce gun.
One inch taller and longer
It all adds up
But that is a small 9mm
I'll take the LC9s Pro if I go with a Ruger 9mm for concealed carry. Same weight, same size, no safety, and no magazine disconnect and the best trigger of all the small 9mms. The LCP II trigger is good. The LC9s Pro's trigger is crazy good. Lets just say I have more than a few of the LC9s Pros. Dealer going out of business gave me a deal I could not refuse on his remaining stock.
Easy to pocket carry the LCP II, not so much for the LC9s Pro.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post: