Ruger LCP II Quick Review - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger LCP II 380acp 6rd (90261) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-17-2017 01:46 PM
Ruger LCP II 380 New Model Improved Trigger Sights 6 Rd From $269.99 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 01-25-2017 09:22 PM
Review: Burris XTR II 5x-25x50mm Scope AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-03-2016 02:30 PM
Review: Ruger American Compact Rifle in 308 Win AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-10-2016 02:30 PM
Ruger LCP II 380 New Model Improved Trigger Sights 6 Rd From $279 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 10-07-2016 03:32 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM
G54's Avatar
G54 G54 is offline
Another Brick in the Wall
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 369
Thanks: 179
Thanked 732 Times in 254 Posts
Default Ruger LCP II Quick Review



Advertise Here

Just picked up an LCP II today to use as a summer pocket CCW. Paid $269 and picked up a couple boxes of .380 including a box of Hornady Critical Defense for carry.

Fired a total of 55 rounds so far, 50 FMJ and 5 rounds of the Hornady. Not much I know but unfortunately I ran out of money. All rounds fired at approx. 20'. First couple mags I was a little low left, but quickly got used to it and consistently hit close to center target the rest of the way. No malfunctions of any kind! The trigger is awesome, very smooth. Feels very Glock like to me with the trigger blade safety, and has about a 6# break. Recoil was negligable and very easy to score center hits with double tap point shooting at that range. Unlike the gen 1 LCP, this one will lock the slide back after the last round. It came with a pocket holster, and my only complaint is that it tended to come out of my pocket with the gun sometimes on draw. I suspect it will get looser the more I use it. Would have been nice if it came with an extra mag, but I can always pick one up. It did come with two mag floor plates, a flat plate and one with a little flare to rest your ring finger and get a decent two finger grip.

Overall I am very happy! This is a sweet little piece at a good price and will make a great summer pocket gun and a nice alternative to my S&W 642.


Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Hammerstrike Hammerstrike is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 350
Thanks: 908
Thanked 307 Times in 176 Posts
Default

I have been wanting to pick one of these up. Have you attempted to eject a live round while racking the slide? The reason I ask is that I have heard some folks having some issues trying to do so. They seem like a really nice pistol though! I am looking for a small .380 to carry during warmer months.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM
ksmedman's Avatar
ksmedman ksmedman is offline
Dunning-Kruger Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,967
Thanks: 11,129
Thanked 19,830 Times in 5,141 Posts
Default

Good review.
How are recoil and how hard is the slide to rack?

Wife is looking for something different than her CW9, and I got her one of those cheap Shield's, but not sure how she likes it yet.
Looking for alternatives.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmedman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2017, 04:25 PM
G54's Avatar
G54 G54 is offline
Another Brick in the Wall
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 369
Thanks: 179
Thanked 732 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstrike View Post
I have been wanting to pick one of these up. Have you attempted to eject a live round while racking the slide? The reason I ask is that I have heard some folks having some issues trying to do so. They seem like a really nice pistol though! I am looking for a small .380 to carry during warmer months.
Before leaving the range I loaded it with the Hornady for the ride home, including one in the chamber. When I got home I unloaded the gun to clean it by first removing the mag and then racking the slide and the chambered round ejected as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Good review.
How are recoil and how hard is the slide to rack?

Wife is looking for something different than her CW9, and I got her one of those cheap Shield's, but not sure how she likes it yet.
Looking for alternatives.
Recoil was mild by my standards. Much less than my 642 with .38+P. The slide is very easy to rack thanks to nice serrations front and rear. I think it would be a perfect gun for a lady.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 PM
db661 db661 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 92
Thanks: 260
Thanked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Good review.
How are recoil and how hard is the slide to rack?

Wife is looking for something different than her CW9, and I got her one of those cheap Shield's, but not sure how she likes it yet.
Looking for alternatives.
Another good 380 to look at is the sig p238. I bought one for my wife she loves it. I liked it so much I bought myself one as well.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to db661 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Hammerstrike Hammerstrike is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 350
Thanks: 908
Thanked 307 Times in 176 Posts
Default

That is good to hear G54. I'm planning on buying one soon. Thanks for your time to post a review!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammerstrike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 AM
G54's Avatar
G54 G54 is offline
Another Brick in the Wall
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 369
Thanks: 179
Thanked 732 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstrike View Post
That is good to hear G54. I'm planning on buying one soon. Thanks for your time to post a review!
No problem! I'll update when I shoot more rounds. Hickok45 on YouTube did a real good review with lots of rounds downrange.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 AM
G54's Avatar
G54 G54 is offline
Another Brick in the Wall
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 369
Thanks: 179
Thanked 732 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Here's a pretty impressive torture test on the LCP II. Also during the test the guy accidently hits the mag release. This also happened to me, which was actually good in way because now I know to be careful of thumb placement to avoid that from happening.

https://youtu.be/uz4BkQjHCP0



Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM
HappyinID's Avatar
HappyinID HappyinID is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 2,406
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,865 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G54 View Post
Here's a pretty impressive torture test on the LCP II. Also during the test the guy accidently hits the mag release. This also happened to me, which was actually good in way because now I know to be careful of thumb placement to avoid that from happening.

https://youtu.be/uz4BkQjHCP0
Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
I wish these pocket pistols were made with a heel mag release. But they wouldn't sell, even though the majority of people probably won't carry an extra mag with these types of guns. Not that a heel mag release can't be plenty fast with some practice. I think it was 1980 or 81 when the world IPSC match was won with a heel mag release, against 1911's with side buttons. I shaved the mag release button down on a couple pocket pistols to keep them from being so easy to hit accidentally.

These little guns have a lot more value than most of us old school pistoleros ever thought back in the day. As an all the time gun, even when you're carrying something more effective, or for when concealment is difficult. I usually have one in my pocket during my waking hours. I understand it's limitations, and carry something bigger as well most of the time. But even in swim trunks, it's there.

Rule #1 of gunfighting is still..... have a gun


And BTW, .32 or .380 ball ammo will penetrate 15"-20" in gel. A couple of the newer .380 HP's may do 10"-11", but I still carry ball. More than sufficient to get into the engine room, cheap to practice with, and always feed. Multiple hits at close range will be similar to buckshot. More holes = more chances to hit something important. I practice mag dumps at 5-15 feet with my little gats, and it's amazing how fast you can put 7 or 8 rounds COM in the blink of an eye..... with practice. You can save your life with one.

.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 PM
G54's Avatar
G54 G54 is offline
Another Brick in the Wall
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 369
Thanks: 179
Thanked 732 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
I wish these pocket pistols were made with a heel mag release. But they wouldn't sell, even though the majority of people probably won't carry an extra mag with these types of guns. Not that a heel mag release can't be plenty fast with some practice. I think it was 1980 or 81 when the world IPSC match was won with a heel mag release, against 1911's with side buttons. I shaved the mag release button down on a couple pocket pistols to keep them from being so easy to hit accidentally.

These little guns have a lot more value than most of us old school pistoleros ever thought back in the day. As an all the time gun, even when you're carrying something more effective, or for when concealment is difficult. I usually have one in my pocket during my waking hours. I understand it's limitations, and carry something bigger as well most of the time. But even in swim trunks, it's there.

Rule #1 of gunfighting is still..... have a gun


And BTW, .32 or .380 ball ammo will penetrate 15"-20" in gel. A couple of the newer .380 HP's may do 10"-11", but I still carry ball. More than sufficient to get into the engine room, cheap to practice with, and always feed. Multiple hits at close range will be similar to buckshot. More holes = more chances to hit something important. I practice mag dumps at 5-15 feet with my little gats, and it's amazing how fast you can put 7 or 8 rounds COM in the blink of an eye..... with practice. You can save your life with one.

.
I agree 100%. I used to carry a Beretta Tomcat .32 and just like this .380 I figure if it comes to it, just empty the mag c.o.m. and it should do the job. And there is no excuse not to have it on me. Thing weighs like 11 oz.

I really like the Hornady Critical Defense rounds because although they are a HP, they have a center plug that helps them feed more like ball.



Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM
HappyinID's Avatar
HappyinID HappyinID is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 2,406
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,865 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G54 View Post
I think it would be a perfect gun for a lady.
Ahemmm....

It might be the perfect gun for any man or woman that decides it meets their particular needs.

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 PM
HappyinID's Avatar
HappyinID HappyinID is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 2,406
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,865 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G54 View Post
I agree 100%. I used to carry a Beretta Tomcat .32 and just like this .380 I figure if it comes to it, just empty the mag c.o.m. and it should do the job. And there is no excuse not to have it on me. Thing weighs like 11 oz.

I really like the Hornady Critical Defense rounds because although they are a HP, they have a center plug that helps them feed more like ball.
Yeah, those certainly look really good in the tests I've seen. I tend to carry my 6.5 oz P32 a lot, and ball makes the most sense for me in that one. And you're right, no reason to not have it in my pocket anytime I have clothes on.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Marlin94's Avatar
Marlin94 Marlin94 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,858
Thanks: 6,688
Thanked 6,742 Times in 2,386 Posts
Default

Thanks for the review. My dad wants one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 PM
ancient christian ancient christian is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 827
Thanks: 1,819
Thanked 1,023 Times in 477 Posts
Default

Thanks for the review. I just ordered the LCP custom. I shot a friend's last weekend and was really impressed. They seem very concealable. Makes a good BUG and a summer carry option. I also ordered a few mags from Midway.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ancient christian For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 PM
chigger digger chigger digger is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: em-15
Posts: 115
Thanks: 87
Thanked 142 Times in 64 Posts
Default

I have an lcp that go's on with my pants every morn. While I wouldn't knowingly go to a gun fight with it, If you know you're going to a gunfight you can usually avoid it !!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to chigger digger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:14 AM
danthe727man danthe727man is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 298
Thanks: 0
Thanked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Default

I like my Ruger LCP (version 1). really begged for a laser though because the sights were very low profile. But it is designed for close range anyway. Handy little gun when you go places where you have to tuck your shirt in.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Propofol's Avatar
Propofol Propofol is offline
1, 2, 3 - HAM I am!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: in a house...sometimes, someone's else house...other times, contracted house made of tarp or canvas
Age: 74
Posts: 400
Thanks: 379
Thanked 246 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Got one of these beauties today! 250.75 with no tax. Got some ammo to go with and just ordered a DTOM Combo pocket/IWB from the Amazonian site. Going to buy 1k rounds online shortly.

Got it today as a remembrance to 9-11 and all I've done to maintain the freedom of this great nation.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Propofol For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Jack Swilling's Avatar
Jack Swilling Jack Swilling is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 2,923
Thanks: 4,610
Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default

I have two. Trigger is good. Got two Mika pocket holsters.
No problem to carry one in each pocket
Recommended
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 PM
sarge912's Avatar
sarge912 sarge912 is offline
Father of 11 husband of 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Age: 67
Posts: 10,063
Thanks: 5,674
Thanked 12,878 Times in 5,421 Posts
Default

Seeing as the EC9s is a 9mm (way cheaper ammo) with same trigger, more capacity and about $40 less, what do you see as an advantage with the LCP II.

It is a tad smaller but the size difference is really not that significant IMO.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Jack Swilling's Avatar
Jack Swilling Jack Swilling is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 2,923
Thanks: 4,610
Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default

Hard to compare a 10 ounce gun with a 17 ounce gun.
One inch taller and longer
It all adds up
But that is a small 9mm
I'll take the LC9s Pro if I go with a Ruger 9mm for concealed carry. Same weight, same size, no safety, and no magazine disconnect and the best trigger of all the small 9mms. The LCP II trigger is good. The LC9s Pro's trigger is crazy good. Lets just say I have more than a few of the LC9s Pros. Dealer going out of business gave me a deal I could not refuse on his remaining stock.
Easy to pocket carry the LCP II, not so much for the LC9s Pro.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net