Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Happiness is 2 at low 8

Thanked 1,028 Times in 542 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen117 View Post
any place this is free or downloadable? i hope its as good a read as everyone makes it out to be thanks for tha advice everyone!
I doubt there is a legal copy of it on the web... The copyright is 2009 and it's not even available in paperback yet AFAIK... There are copies in some of the public libraries... you might want to check...

Allan
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Hunter

Default 8N tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandcrotchety View Post
After reading it, I only had one small nit-pick, and even then I'm not sure, because I've never been in that part of the country. But around here in my part of Arkansas, there are hundreds of old 8N Ford tractors, still in use. I have one myself. If the '59 Edsel and the old Mustang and VWs still ran, then so would all the old 40s and early 50s model gas tractors. I have a pick-up bed trailer that pulls behind it. With the installation of a couple of bench seats we have a mini-bus, and in 4th gear the 8N will go pretty fast down the road. Maybe 20-25 MPH. Just seemed to me the author overlooked this available transport. Excellent book, though. I just have a tendency to nit-pick.
No real problem with your nit-picking. That area of Buncombe County where the story takes place is losing farmland all the time. Yankees move in and zoning soon follows! I would guess in the whole of Black Mtn., there are maybe less than five of the 8N's you describe!
Doc

Last edited by combat doc; 10-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to combat doc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 AM

any place this is free or downloadable? i hope its as good a read as everyone makes it out to be thanks for tha advice everyone I picked mine up at the local library you might give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 12:33 AM

OSA is a terrific read. I was sobered by the rapid depletion of prescription medications and the resulting death and debilitation. Really thoughtful and well thought out presentation.
The Following User Says Thank You to bjba For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat doc View Post
OSA focuses on a above surface Nuke attack, which is a possibility, but a massive Solar Flare could do the same damage!
last light ,night light, true light and dawn's light is a series of 4 books by Terri blackstock that covers EMP from solar flares from a christian perspective. Terri Blackstock is a murder mystery writer this is her first forray into survivalist storylines but it was very well done and I enjoyed the detail you can get when you read a series rather than just 1 book. The books follow 1 family in a kind of upscale suburban community that has made no preps at all. The people know few of their neighbors but learn to be a community. I love the aspect of the community learning many old skills from their elders and the inventiveness of the teens and young 20's in the group.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scienceteacher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
www.freestateproject.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceteacher View Post
last light ,night light, true light and dawn's light is a series of 4 books by Terri blackstock that covers EMP from solar flares from a christian perspective. Terri Blackstock is a murder mystery writer this is her first forray into survivalist storylines but it was very well done and I enjoyed the detail you can get when you read a series rather than just 1 book. The books follow 1 family in a kind of upscale suburban community that has made no preps at all. The people know few of their neighbors but learn to be a community. I love the aspect of the community learning many old skills from their elders and the inventiveness of the teens and young 20's in the group.
Cool, I'll have to look into that.

I'm almost done with this book, and while I loved Lights Out, OSA brings more reality to the possibility of an EMP attack. I haven't finished the story yet, but so far it portrays the situation pretty close to what I think it would be in reality... bleak.
The Following User Says Thank You to lunchbox777 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 PM

I just finished One Second After myself. I don't read any fiction books usually, but this one was very, very good. It really opened my eyes to a lot of things.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLYBYU For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,932 Times in 3,554 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2
Default The book should have a warning label...

I see books like these as a curse similar to the one leveled on Adam and Eve by the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

The books are a curse because they change the way you look at the world forever. They give you fears that you didn't have before. You have to acknowledge that the scenarios posed by the books are possible. They make you realize that you are just one bad event away from a world of s**t. After reading them, you see the darker side of humanity lurking just under the surface. Not just in "morally challenged" individuals, but in everyone. You realize how dependent everything around you is on the status quos. You can never go back to the happy-go-lucky life you had before reading the books. Now you must carry the weight of this new knowledge for the rest of your life.

Great read though
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,819 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
I see books like these as a curse similar to the one leveled on Adam and Eve by the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

The books are a curse because they change the way you look at the world forever. They give you fears that you didn't have before. You have to acknowledge that the scenarios posed by the books are possible. They make you realize that you are just one bad event away from a world of s**t. After reading them, you see the darker side of humanity lurking just under the surface. Not just in "morally challenged" individuals, but in everyone. You realize how dependent everything around you is on the status quos. You can never go back to the happy-go-lucky life you had before reading the books. Now you must carry the weight of this new knowledge for the rest of your life.

Great read though
Haha too true.

Found it a great read myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Te Hopo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,819 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Oops, hit the post button early.

What i liked about this story is it is about a man with extensive knowledge but no preps to speak of as is common in other survival stories.
What they had, they found/took or improvised what they needed just like most of the public will do in such a situation.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Great book...couldn't put it down. I think you can look at the scenario and change it to economic collapse with worthless dollars, food shortages, violence etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to conservative For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 03:57 PM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,509 Times in 694 Posts

As I said in an earlier post I have not slept well since reading this book.

So what I did with all the extra time was to put in a well with a hand pump, I now have three back up sources of heat , generators and fuel supply , food for at least one year.

Shoot a few rounds in my handguns every day , rifles too but not as often because their scopes are right on.

I now have about 200 no trespassing signs all over my two little acres I live very rural. I just want people to know if you weren't invited ( other than fedx or ups ) you aren't wanted here including relatives that might drop in without calling.

And usually when I am outside I am wearing my Taurus 9mm. The big boys are in the safe.

Now I am all set unless martial law comes along and confiscates it all.

Last edited by wchancey; 11-08-2009 at 04:15 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wchancey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

It'll be in paperback Nov. 24th. I'll get it then.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 AM
ready for it!

Hated the end of "lights out" but it was a good read. Going to have to look for osa. Thanks for the tip!!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Free

Just started reading the paperback version tonight. Actually the lady and I are reading it together. I hope this may be a tipping point for her.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,579 Times in 17,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snare View Post
Just started reading the paperback version tonight. Actually the lady and I are reading it together. I hope this may be a tipping point for her.
I've "convinced" two families and another friend with the book... jolted them right into the grim reality.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,149 Posts
Default going to pick it up!

thanks for the tip...this book looks really good. I just checked online and my local bookstore has it in stock...going to pick it up...
The Following User Says Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,149 Posts
Default great book!

This was definitely a worthwhile read! I hadn't given much thought to medical supplies in a SHTF situation...I'm going to stock up on whatever I can get now!

I really enjoyed this book, haven't been able to interest anyone in my family in reading it though. : (
Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremejoy9 View Post
This was definitely a worthwhile read! I hadn't given much thought to medical supplies in a SHTF situation...I'm going to stock up on whatever I can get now!

I really enjoyed this book, haven't been able to interest anyone in my family in reading it though. : (
Give it too them for Christmas...they will be obliged to read it...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

tues i got OSA, thurs nite i finished it..........great book. very sad at parts, like the authors writing style, loved that it got right to it early in the book.

- after reading this book, it confirms what i have always thought and that is that being a loner is better. i can see no reason why being in a community of 10,000 sheep and 50 smart people would be benificial.