Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 26 11-07-2018 11:50 AM
Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter FlexTech Stock (7879) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-23-2016 09:43 AM
Can a fixed stock be turned into collapsible? Freethinkin'Man Rifle Forum 23 12-17-2016 07:05 PM
anyone modified RIA M5 buttstock? 3Jfamily Shotgun Forum 3 10-25-2016 10:45 AM
Stockys Long Range vs Magpul Hunter stock Dizzyfun Rifle Forum 1 09-29-2016 08:23 PM

Old 01-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

I have owned RDS-A and while it is a great dividend paying stock, keep in mind that it is a foreign company. I trade individual stocks through Scottrade and when RDS-A pays a dividend, they keep 15% out as a foreign tax payment, even inside an IRA.

It still pays above average, just take into account that you may only receive 85% of that figure.

Many oil and gas stocks pay great dividends. Pipeline companies are also some of the best. I have been eyeballing ETP and SUN due to their high dividends but the pipeline protests out West have me concerned.

As mentioned, if you buy stocks from well known companies, paying large dividends, you should be fine. But... as rates rise, dividends will no longer be a safe haven and you will not see premiums in stock prices for dividend stocks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Keep It Simple, Stupid

Thanked 1,292 Times in 515 Posts

Don't buy a stock, buy an income fund with a dividend yield.

People forget that a company can choose to suspend its dividend at any time for any reason. Even the most reliable or predictable companies can run into cashflow issues or go through a downturn or crisis and suspend dividends.

Example: BP suspended dividends after the DW Horizon spill. No one could have predicted that.

Inevitably the prices drops as well, so you can't just sell the stock and buy another without getting hurt.

Like picking stocks for appreciation purposes, it's best to diversify your investment across a range of companies. It may produce a marginally lower return, but you'll be protected against single company incidents.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyDedo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Libertarian

Sound advice Tony. I like the value stocks like the above poster a few posts up, as in that RDS, though haven't taken the plunge on it yet. It looks good for the long run as a value stock. I'd be a buyer on it at 50.
Yessir, I'm diversifying now. AU, NEM and GFI. These are gonna pop this year.
Heres the 10 year on one of them...fixin to go into what it did in 2009, and has started.
http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/qui...&show=&time=13

Like Mr Faber said, "if you look at stock valuations, they are high. If you look at the US $, it is high..." But RW says, "if you look at PM stocks, they are low and have only one direction to go."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 03:44 PM

I work in the energy sector and I wouldn't be holding my breath for oil to get $100 anytime soon. Now that being said you can probably still make a good return on oil companies if you choose the right one. If oil gets to $60 dollars most companies will start making a lot of money. Sounds like you don't really know what you want so I would invest in mutual funds personally. You can pick funds that only invest in dividend stocks if you want. I recommend picking a different couple of ones.

As for investing $3,000 I would only do it if you were pretty dang sure you wouldn't be needing $3,000 anytime soon. To make money investing it usually takes a long time. Yes some people will get lucky and time it right but most people don't. I've bought options before and double my money in a week. I also bought options that never made money and had to just watch them expire. Lots of finance websites give you the tools to screen stocks and funds. I would start there.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:49 PM
HidingInPlainSight 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyWalker View Post
Anyone know any solid companies that pay good dividends now?

Criteria

1) I think the stock market is high right now, bubble in search of a pin, so any stock that has had a big run up does not qualify.

2) Up and coming hot market stock maybe, like telecomm's or steady solid performers like Coca Cola, that pays about 3.5% but don't know why they're down now? I know, want my cake and eat it too. A stock that has a product or service that everyone uses worldwide.

3) Probably any thing listed in Money Magazine may not be good but something that has been out of favor and down but always pops back up and pays decent divs

4) Something that might do well in a Trump admin.

5) Only thing I can think of are gold stocks. They're down and out, at lows...i'm looking at GFI and HMY. I like NEM maybe but yield is so low and PE is high.

6) NOT incredible debt; be nice to have plenty cash on hand for the company. PE ratio not too high.
With the interest rates set to rise, maybe three times this year, bonds and other g'ment securities will do well...(better than the last 10 years)!!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,948 Times in 2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5keepers View Post
With the interest rates set to rise, maybe three times this year, bonds and other g'ment securities will do well...(better than the last 10 years)!!
When interest rates rise, existing bonds suffer. This does raise the rate paid out on new bonds, but once interest rates start rising, it's anyone's guess as to how long they will continue to rise.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthrill81 View Post
When interest rates rise, existing bonds suffer. This does raise the rate paid out on new bonds, but once interest rates start rising, it's anyone's guess as to how long they will continue to rise.
That's exactly why Treasury Bond ETF prices will most likely go down, especially if equities go up, like they seem to be with the deregulation coming in from the unrestrained GOP. prices on these ETF's dropped almost as much as the DOW shot up November 8th.
These pay a dividend.

But anyhow good dividend stocks to high priced to buy IMO, MO, FLO, WFC, KO, AMNF. Wait for a dip, or a split. except for WFC, being a bank its probably going to kick some serious ass when Dodd Frank goes bye bye in the coming months.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthrill81 View Post
Just to add to will's comments....in a rising rate environment, shorter -intermediate bonds won't suffer as much as longer term. I also believe actively managed bonds funds with short duration are the appropriate bond vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hugh Glass For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Libertarian

They been threatening higher interest rates for over a year now...methinks it could just be a ruse. The token woman puppet Janet reads the teleprompter really well. They know higher rates will tank the economy and liable to put it into serious trouble. The Japanese pushed their rates down to 0 since 1990 and haven't dared raise them, knowing the same thing.
The cowboy keeps whipping his horse harder and harder, keeping ahead of the Indians - for now. Every thing is rosey.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyWalker View Post
Thanks LoveLife. Will absorb all that. Don't like anything that is related to government, so the treasuries are out; just another Ponzi scheme IMHO. I have a lot of experience with the golds so what you said it true; yet lately they, the stocks, have already plummeted, which is what am looking at.

What about crude oil? I found this chart
https://3commas.io/

Says it was recently around $110 now at around $50. Is that right?? This may be what I'm looking for too; something worldwide use, been down lately poised to shoot up again; paying good divs. Kinda same thing Eagle Scout said, with Royal Dutch.
Well, it is very interesting to make a research. But it needs so much time... How about the helpers for the trading? Do you know any of them?