Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Army Survival Manual Soggybottomboy Reviews and questions 4 10-05-2012 03:47 PM
Survival Manual and Charcoal CombatEngineer Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 08-26-2012 08:07 PM
Homemade Survival Manual jcodyr19 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-23-2011 12:45 PM
U.S. Army Survival Manual caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 08-03-2010 10:35 AM
Which Army Survival Manual? rdouglasc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-19-2010 07:04 PM
video survival manual stsc1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 10-24-2009 05:54 PM
US Army Survival Manual MorningLightMntn Books, Movies & Stories 8 02-28-2009 08:33 AM
US Army FM 21-76 Survival Manual Rockhound Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 02-01-2009 01:08 AM
Personal Survival Manual ecilop General Discussion 3 05-19-2008 03:38 PM
Fm 21-76 U.s. Army Survival Manual Wildernessguy1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 03-22-2008 01:59 AM

Old 04-15-2016, 09:00 PM

Default The C.S.A. Survival Manual

Advertise Here

The C.S.A. Survival Manual
Published by C.S.A. Enterprises, Spring 1982
174 pages, extremely rare and hard to find.

The CSA was the original anti-government survivalist militia. It developed from a Baptist congregation called the Zarephath-Horeb Community Church, founded in 1971 in Elijah in southern Missouri. Over time, Zarephath-Horeb evolved into an extremist paramilitary organization, adopted a Christian "identity" doctrine, and rechristened itself the CSA.

In April 1985, law enforcement officers investigating the group for weapons violations and terrorist acts carried out a siege against the compound. After a peaceful resolution, officers arrested and convicted CSA's top leaders, and the organization soon dissolved.

I got hold of a copy of the manual while researching the CSA for some science fiction stories that I am working on. The CSA had become a major source of inspiration for a breakaway faction of a rebel/resistance group in my stories, and I wanted to know more about them. A manual written by them was hard to resist

While large parts of the manual are dated, there is some surprisingly useful information in the book. The worst apsect of the book (aside from the white supremacist views of the authors) is that it tries to cover too many topics, and some topics are covered to briefly to be useful.

A disproportionate emphasis is given to firearms, but this is not completely unexpected due to the nature of the CSA.

The good firearms advice: shotguns should be the first survival weapon one considers due to their versatility. A good rifle in .223 or .308 is also needed, as is a good .22 rimfire rifle. You need to inspect/clean your weapons often, even if you don't use them often. You will need to inspect/clean your weapons more often during humid times of year than in drier times of the year, or if you live near the sea, etc.

The pages on shooting at acute angles, both uphill and downhill, is very interesting.

The bad sections: the shooting positions are covered too briefly, the page on marksmanship is not written all that well, the field craft section is too brief to be useful.

The "I don't know what to think of this" advice: have 6-8 magazines and 1000-2000 rounds of ammunition per gun. When defending your retreat, warn the enemy that you have a rifle and fire off a single .22 shot - which will make them feel relatively bold against such an underpowered weapon. When they approach you, use shotguns and semi-auto rifles.

The knife section is too brief to be much use, and focuses on knife fighting and sentry elimination. If you want to know what they suggest, take a look at Rex Applegate's Kill or Get Killed book. Its the same material.

MOLLE hadn't been invented when the manual was written, so all the advice on gear/kit is on the ALICE system. Interesting, but not really useful these days.

For some reason, there is a section on tools and tool selection in the firearms/weapons chapter... The suggested tool list is actually pretty good, and even makes a distinction between high priority tools (e.g. steel tape rulers, C-clamps, crosscut saws, hacksaws, utility scissors, glass cutters, flat/Phillips head screwdrivers, , claw hammers, etc.)

The food an water sections are typical for survival manuals of this era.

There is a table on pages 64-65 to help you with sprouting. The table shows, amongst other things, the yields a given amount of seeds will/should result in, the soak times for the seeds, what kind of screens to use for a given variety of seeds, grow times, nutritional highlights, and serving ideas. This was the most useful part of the food/water chapters.

The CSA manual recommends having stockpiles of clothing and footwear suitable for the climate in your area. Rain gear is recommended, as are greens and camo clothing.

The "home defence" chapter is actually about fortifying your retreat with barbed wire entanglements, clearing your land so you have clear fields of fire, hiding your home/structures amongst trees to help hide them, reinforcing your home with masonry to protect against bullets, having two barbed wire fences around your retreat, making bunkers, and so on.

The wilderness survival chapter is typical for this subject. It covers shelter, fire, cooking, traps, edible plants, roots/leaves, nuts, weather and how it relates to survival, maps and navigation, and knots. It also looks at rappelling.

The first aid chapter is not worth reading, and the nuclear war survival stuff is typical for the era.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeoTribalist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 06:58 AM

Interesting to see what changes both in attitude and technology occur over that relatively short time frame. I have collaberated with two different Authors on technical issues on their works and one of the things I strive for when doing a project like that is to be very careful about disclosing information that could be negatively used in a real life situation. I want the Author to be taken seriously, but I don't want to contribute to anarchy. I'm often fearful that my research places me on lists that I don't want to be on, but that is necessary to avoid making things too easy for the wrong person to use. Sometimes its fun to mix the details making the process useless while still retaining believability to all but those really in the know. Research on Brother...
Old 04-17-2016, 03:17 PM
VIP Member

WB edited to specific:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTribalist View Post
The C.S.A. Survival Manual
Published by C.S.A. Enterprises, Spring 1982
174 pages, extremely rare and hard to find.
Does it have an ISBN number with it - if there is one most likely it will be an ISBN-10 not -14 (10 numbers)

IF NOT - any plans to make it into a downloadable .pdf?
I am a Christian, Veteran, Heterosexual, Tax Paying, SUV Driving, NASCAR watching, Southern, For the Death Penalty, Blue Collar, Meat Eating, Beer Drinking, Gun Owning, Bambi shooting, America Loving, Law Abiding Man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBrother View Post
WB edited to specific:

Does it have an ISBN number with it - if there is one most likely it will be an ISBN-10 not -14 (10 numbers)

IF NOT - any plans to make it into a downloadable .pdf?
No ISBN number. It appears to have been self published.

And there already is a PDF version! PM me and I can give you the link.

I would post it here, but I don't know if that would get me banned or nor.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

Got it - many thanks for sharing
WolfBrother
I am a Christian, Veteran, Heterosexual, Tax Paying, SUV Driving, NASCAR watching, Southern, For the Death Penalty, Blue Collar, Meat Eating, Beer Drinking, Gun Owning, Bambi shooting, America Loving, Law Abiding Man.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBrother View Post
Got it - many thanks for sharing
WolfBrother
What do you think of it? Dated but still useful as per my original review?
Old 04-19-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:

By chance where would one find a pdf of it? My google foo must not be very strong this morning, as it seems one of the top hits is this thread, and most of the search results are covering csa shares for farming, and some are mentions of the manual on other sites or google books. It sounds like it would be an interesting read.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 AM

@therealsniper69 - I have sent you a PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
What do you think of it? Dated but still useful as per my original review?
review is spot on
Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,500 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Got a copy when it first came out. Still have it. Pretty much what you said.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:50 AM

It would be interesting for a manual like this to be written from a modern perspective - i.e. without the emphasis on compounds or having enough firepower to outgun the national guard.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsniper69 View Post
By chance where would one find a pdf of it? My google foo must not be very strong this morning, as it seems one of the top hits is this thread, and most of the search results are covering csa shares for farming, and some are mentions of the manual on other sites or google books. It sounds like it would be an interesting read.
Your best shot is through ILL (InterLibrary Loan) via any larger public library. Needed info is:
https://www.worldcat.org/title/csa-s...l/oclc/9143710

Another possible (pdf) source is:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3101...urvival-Manual
I have never dealt with 'scribd' so caveat emptor.