My thoughts on INCH kits - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first aid kits - thoughts? Jtarpley131 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 104 06-29-2018 08:47 AM
INCH by inch... SirThrivalist Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 10-25-2017 03:36 AM
7-7.5 inch knife with 4.5 inch handle TheWoodsman Knives, Swords & Axes 55 10-17-2016 11:04 AM
A few thoughts about Survival and anyone else can add their thoughts also Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 79 05-19-2013 04:24 PM
How do I zero a 16 inch Colt 6920 16 inch m4? FloridaState Rifle Forum 11 05-15-2013 06:56 PM
16 inch AR VS 20 inch AR Dremer03 Military Weapons Forum 47 09-06-2012 06:25 AM
inch by inch..... miss becky General Discussion 19 12-25-2011 08:05 AM
updated thoughts: Migration of the masses: Realistic thoughts of PSHTF ??? Castlemom Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 05-24-2011 05:44 PM
Delton AR-15 18 inch barrel 3/4 inch thick 1fixitman Military Weapons Forum 4 03-19-2011 06:32 AM
11 inch DSA FAL? Ultra reliable sbr wanted... Is the 11 inch FAL effective? FloridaState Military Weapons Forum 67 09-12-2010 06:01 PM

Old 12-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,783 Times in 1,675 Posts

Advertise Here

I was just wondering if anyone has worked out the weight, cube and cost of the stuff on these lists, and how many pallets you need to load it on a C130?

Will it all fit in your UNIMOG? How are you transporting it?

And how much fuel do you plan on storing and just where are you planning to evac to with all this stuff?

Just curious...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 05:02 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,490 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has worked out the weight, cube and cost of the stuff on these lists, and how many pallets you need to load it on a C130?

Will it all fit in your UNIMOG? How are you transporting it?

And how much fuel do you plan on storing and just where are you planning to evac to with all this stuff?

Just curious...
No one in their right mind would consider trying to take everything on this list.

Obviously I needed to add another disclaimer to the list.

It is not a take everything list. It is an options and ideas list to prompt individuals to think about what they would do if they had to leave their current area and job, with no chance of getting back to recover anything or start over in the same place.

A person would only take what they needed for their situation. Now, some people might need much more equipment to do whatever job they planned on doing in the new location. So something from a pickup truck to a large moving van might be in order.

But most people could start over with much less than that, if they plan accordingly, and have skills that do not require a huge amount of equipment or supplies, and have portable financial resources to help them get established in the new location.

This particular idea is for situations where an area become uninhabitable for some reason, but there are still safe areas that have decent stability and some form of economy in existence.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,140 Posts

That looks like a long list but in reality when its all packed it doesn't take that much space.

All the important documents for example I have consolidated down to one zippered binder.

I pack almost as much stuff every time I take a trip to the farm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Hunter

ah

food for thought of ID documents

DOG TAGS, with DOB/name/social security number

birth certs in double
Photo ID, drivers/shooters license/proof of age/birh cert card/passport/or nationally recognized ID card. bank/cc in double..

i'm of the opinion work on option of 2 travel pack ID's in case if 1 is lost or stolen...

more photo ID you have the better..

work ID tags if plausible to use..
The Following User Says Thank You to Redlineshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,140 Posts

And yes it is quite possible to start over with less. I have a layered approach and each layer has a priority. For example I have a typical BOB for each family member which is the first layer/priority. If we were awakened in the middle of the night by the house on fire the BOBs are within reach to grab and go.
If its a less immediate need then the second layer/priority is another set of larger backpacks which we would make a second trip back in from the truck to load those up as well as opening the safe and grabbing the important documents binder. If we had hours or a day to load such as NOLA situation I work down through the priorities loading as deemed necessary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM

Can't say I believe in INCH. I have a mortgage and a wife (+2 cats). That alone will keep returning home. Unless the house is/was destroyed by a rather large tree, which is possible. Even so, I would not abandon my property.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foulwind For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Hunter

Foulwind depends where you live to whether you can safely evacuate the location you reside, if you live in the gated communities with 1 way in and 1 way out them you be screwed to relocate..

However if you have the capacity make your own track then do so because getting is going to be your biggest issue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Thoughts on INCH(ing)

My family INCH kit is simply our BOB with an extensive Information Pack-personal paperwork, financials, insurance, professional licenses, education records, resumes and references, some cash and some PMs that will allow us to start a new life. I lost everything once. I was able to start over because I had a driver's license, a Social Security card and a willingness to work at whatever job that I could get--I tempted and drove a taxi for four years. If I was a craftsman, I'd say that a portable set of tools was essential.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zenpen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud1 View Post
How do you plan to haul all that stuff.
Obviously, with a Kenworth W900L and TWO 53 foot trailers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MedicineMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM
¡Salga de aquí!

Thanked 8,785 Times in 2,926 Posts

Great list but resembles more of a "I'm a full blown prepper and I'm moving" list. In my case it would be easier for me to move everything I own, maybe twice. I sometimes print your lists as more food for thought than an actually must have list. You are definitely the king of well thought out lists! For me an INCH "kit" should fit in a single 4x4 vehicle and not take over a couple hours to load. If I had the means to fulfill your list I think it would be easier and cheaper to own a second home/BOL or build a bunker. I have many obvious holes when I read your lists... first aid et... Bugging out with JDY would be a lifestyle upgrade for me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeTarzan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 04:32 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
Obviously, with a Kenworth W900L and TWO 53 foot trailers.
I say again:

Part 1:
Time for yet another disclaimer to remind people about how and why I do these kinds of lists. I think this is approximately disclaimer number 237,984.

No one would want, much less need everything on the lists, including me. They are options and idea lists, not take everything lists. Lists to get people thinking about what would be right for them. Pick and choose. Never take any advice from anyone , including me, without doing your own due diligence research, to make sure whatever it is will apply to, and work for, you.

Just my opinion yet again.

Part 2:
No one in their right mind would consider trying to take everything on this list.

It is not a take everything list. It is an options and ideas list to prompt individuals to think about what they would do if they had to leave their current area and job, with no chance of getting back to recover anything or start over in the same place.

A person would only take what they needed for their situation. Now, some people might need much more equipment to do whatever job they planned on doing in the new location. So something from a pickup truck to a large moving van might be in order.

But most people could start over with much less than that, if they plan accordingly, and have skills that do not require a huge amount of equipment or supplies, and have portable financial resources to help them get established in the new location.

This particular idea is for situations where an area become uninhabitable for some reason, but there are still safe areas that have decent stability and some form of economy in existence.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Hunter

I for one really appreciate your lists because I always find something else that will help me with my needs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to murex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,281 Times in 9,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
Great list but resembles more of a "I'm a full blown prepper and I'm moving" list. In my case it would be easier for me to move everything I own, maybe twice. I sovmetimes print your lists as more food for thought than an actually must have list. You are definitely the king of well thought out lists! For me an INCH "kit" should fit in a single 4x4 vehicle and not take over a couple hours to load. If I had the means to fulfill your list I think it would be easier and cheaper to own a second home/BOL or build a bunker. I have many obvious holes when I read your lists... first aid et... Bugging out with JDY would be a lifestyle upgrade for me!
Don't say that. I am a prepper, and I did move everything I owned from Ca to Ok. You don't want to do that even once.

On the other hand, you notion of building an Inch kit that fits in a single 4x4 is a good objective. Perhaps target building a kit that will support you for 12 months if your house was destroyed, includes the documentation to restart your career, plus has the financial resources to replace what was lost.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 AM
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I say again:

Part 1:
Time for yet another disclaimer to remind people about how and why I do these kinds of lists. I think this is approximately disclaimer number 237,984.

No one would want, much less need everything on the lists, including me. They are options and idea lists, not take everything lists. Lists to get people thinking about what would be right for them. Pick and choose. Never take any advice from anyone , including me, without doing your own due diligence research, to make sure whatever it is will apply to, and work for, you.

Just my opinion yet again.

Part 2:

Just my opinion.
That was a JOKE

I know what you meant.
Been following and conversing with you since the original "squirrel site".
LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to MedicineMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 02:51 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I apologize in that case. I honestly do not have much of a sense of humor. I just do not 'get it' so often it gets embarrassing.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,630 Times in 645 Posts

Jerry as always you brought an A game.

I'll take the parts that apply. Discount those that don't. But remember them for later.

Youre a deep thinker. And a good sharer. You have my respect- even if we disagree on minor points.

At least you make ppl think. And that's a good thing.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to longhorngnu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 03:20 AM
Hunter

The issue is the cost of survival vs nothing..

Reality is you will need things to survive sad to say it becomes forethought to mention what will be a base requirement to survive at the last moment...

Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Fabulous list Jerry, and obviously a pick-what-you-think-is-pertinent to your situation and ignore the rest type of list. Leaving home almost requires a "less is more" approach.

And what Eugene said was so true: "And yes it is quite possible to start over with less." A few years ago we had a serious storm which severely damaged the roof and wiped out two bedrooms. After the insurance company screwed us we redid the rooms ourselves starting with removing everything in them and storing it in the garage. When the remodel (sic) was done only 30% of the stuff made it back in. The rest got sold, donated or trashed. We looked at each other and did the same to the rest of the house and it was so cathartic. Been married 45 years so you know we had collected "stuff". It felt so good to get rid of things we kept because "I might be able to use that". Packrat anthem. The house isn't any smaller, if anything its bigger! And we own what's left, we're not owned by it.

But one thing that caught my eye in the original list was this: "Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP w/4 spare magazines in pocket holster in right rear pants pocket – great hideout gun, and the .32 ACP is useable in cartridge adapters in .308 and .30-’06 rifles for almost silent hunting of small game." I didn't know such an adapter existed, not being a long gun guy. But almost silent hunting....hmmm
The Following User Says Thank You to uriel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Living The Dream

Jerry's lists are great and well thought out! Thank you Jerry!

I started my own INCH list by choosing from Jerry and other people's lists. Then I figured out I would exceed the 1 vehicle leaving.

After some more thought trying to prioritize, I realized my stuff needed to be tiered/prioritized, but not based on volume.

The tiers had to be based on how long I had to leave:

15 mins
2 hrs
4 hrs
Planned Move

To self-reinforce this I timed myself in deployment prep for travel + hunting 2 times last season. I have a hard list......what's on me, in my rucksack, and in the truck. It's evolved lower over time. I was surprised at the length of time since I knew where everything was and still blew 3 hours.

This made me realize I couldn't organize/update my computer files in the short time frames (or I could and waster precious time), so I committed to backing up my files every 3 months on a portable hard drive. Yeah, I miss the target dates, but it gets updated 2x yearly for sure. This means I just need to grab the laptop, backup drive, and hard copy document file. This approach recovers previous time.

Having the tiered list also means, I can divide it up with the family to have them collect only what we have time for. It also squeezes out some time for me to count/inspect what they bring. I recognize my teens will not stick to the list, so supervision is required.

I'm still copying things from Jerry's list and am grateful.

The other dimensions I haven't worked out is whether my destination is urban, rural, or unknown and estimated distance.

My travel estimate resourcing is 1/2 tank gas distance (refuel would be a luxury) and then I'm on a bicycle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Javell For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 05:51 AM
Hunter

More than 45 min from by vehicle and train/ bus will be many hours of walking.. and reality is you will bunk down somewhere rather than be on a street trying to get home and this be the reality u will face once the rule of the looting mob takes place you will not be safe on the ground and that is a fact of life in a shtf

It is all well and good though in shtf scenario there will be curfew in places and you are likely to be shot on sight