Storing Mountain House food - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mountain House or bulk food items? libertyforall Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 07-16-2015 04:34 AM
Where to purchase Mountain House food from? Reason Reviews and questions 3 10-15-2013 06:53 PM
Your favorite food dish? (Mountain House etc) rocktot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 11-08-2010 08:16 AM
Mountain House food in Canada! JC Refuge Safecastle 0 07-09-2010 05:10 PM
Mountain house food expired a year ago gandalfandoatmeal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 05-28-2010 01:19 PM
Mountain house food BOBtheBUTCHER Reviews and questions 28 01-20-2010 03:08 AM
Mountain House Food??? LLX45 General Discussion 14 04-04-2009 02:45 AM
Mountain House to Respond Food Needs 230gr Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 04-29-2008 03:36 PM

Old 06-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,333 Times in 9,113 Posts
Default Storing Mountain House food

Advertise Here

We picked up some Mountain house food to try, haven't had a chance because we rarely know who might show up for dinner, but if it does work out I would like to store some in my BOV. My concern is that summer temps in my lock boxes may be detrimental.

It is currently 88f outside and 107f in one of the boxes in the BOV (with the windows down), so when it gets 100f+ like it has the last couple days, I'm sure it will be 120f+ in the boxes. I do already have lots of dehydrated and canned food in the boxes, but I'm not sure about the MH packaging.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Survivor

Update; it is now 90f outside and 112f in the box (with the windows down).
Old 06-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Somewhere on a ranch...

Thanked 5,114 Times in 1,411 Posts

I love Mountain House stuff... Use it a lot while camping.

However... I would not keep it in those temperatures. Heat wreaks havoc on foodstuffs, regardless of what state they are in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 40cal For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cal View Post
I love Mountain House stuff... Use it a lot while camping.

However... I would not keep it in those temperatures. Heat wreaks havoc on foodstuffs, regardless of what state they are in.
Thanks, that is what I was afraid of, maybe I will keep the Mountain House stuff in a grab bag in the back bedroom. Temps there range from 55f to 85f and I can always grab the bag heading out the door if time allows.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,884 Times in 19,127 Posts

I would say it will do better than most other food options, but since it is made by MH I'm reminded of their prompt and frank responses to storage and longevity questions.

I'd trust them to give you a conservative answer to this direct question. Drop them an email.

I expect you will hear from them within the week and be able to post it here, so we all become better informed.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Default MH and heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
We picked up some Mountain house food to try, haven't had a chance because we rarely know who might show up for dinner, but if it does work out I would like to store some in my BOV. My concern is that summer temps in my lock boxes may be detrimental.

It is currently 88f outside and 107f in one of the boxes in the BOV (with the windows down), so when it gets 100f+ like it has the last couple days, I'm sure it will be 120f+ in the boxes. I do already have lots of dehydrated and canned food in the boxes, but I'm not sure about the MH packaging.

Any thoughts?
Heat is going to be detrimental to all stored foods, so the question is largely one of degree (sorry, couldn't resist...)

In general, you want to look at the average temperatures over time. So if you're getting up to 120 during the day, but down to 60 at night, you'd be averaging 90 degrees over the day.

Then factor seasonality into the equation to get an overall year-long average temp. Perhaps in winter the average temp is 32 degrees over the course of the day. Sub-freezing temps don't really buy you much in terms of lowering the average, since frozen = frozen. That said, frozen pouches are potentially brittle, so you're best below the frost line.

If summer and winter balance each other out, time-wise, you're looking at an annual average of 61 ((90 + 32)/2) degrees in this particular example.

We recommend storing MH at temps under 75, so in this example our standard "shelf life" of 12+ years for pouches and 25+ years for cans would apply.

(I put "shelf life" in quotes because we use a different definition than most companies, namely that it will taste as good at the end of its shelf life as at the day it was produced. Other companies use a very low standard of "will sustain life", which frankly only means that the calories will still exist and won't kill you, not unlike a 25-year old bag of potato chips. But I digress...)

With the ultra-low water content w/MH foods (i.e., <2%), our food tends to be less affected by heat than most dehydrated foods (i.e., 5% - 25%) or MREs (essentially packed in liquid).

You can think of it this way, assuming everything else is equal (such as packaging materials, O2 levels, etc.): heat X moisture = poor results.

If you're looking at continuous high temperatures over the course of years, your mileage will definitely vary. But you should do all right w/MH in a car for a span of months or even years. You might just want to rotate it a bit more frequently than the MH you have in the back room.

In fact, a few years ago we sampled 30-year old pouches that had been stored in our warehouse at ambient temperatures, meaning that they sometimes hit temps that were regularly as high as 80 degrees, and sometimes over 100 degrees in the summer. We could tell a difference between archived pouches and new production, but the older pouches were still tasty.

I hope that helps!

--MH
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mountain House For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,884 Times in 19,127 Posts

Well, you don't get a faster response than that!

I also said they would be conservative too. Note the lack of actual guess on years safe in the truck, yet perhaps they would want a far more accurate account of the seasonal temps to take a proper stab at it.

But their time testing seems to say it will probably taste better longer than your cans and dehydrated you store with the MH and should not be a problem for a number of years. If you rotate the stuff out every 3 to 5 years I can see them still being very edible and most assuredly safe.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain House View Post
Heat is going to be detrimental to all stored foods, so the question is largely one of degree (sorry, couldn't resist...)

In general, you want to look at the average temperatures over time. So if you're getting up to 120 during the day, but down to 60 at night, you'd be averaging 90 degrees over the day.

Then factor seasonality into the equation to get an overall year-long average temp. Perhaps in winter the average temp is 32 degrees over the course of the day. Sub-freezing temps don't really buy you much in terms of lowering the average, since frozen = frozen. That said, frozen pouches are potentially brittle, so you're best below the frost line.

If summer and winter balance each other out, time-wise, you're looking at an annual average of 61 ((90 + 32)/2) degrees in this particular example.

We recommend storing MH at temps under 75, so in this example our standard "shelf life" of 12+ years for pouches and 25+ years for cans would apply.

(I put "shelf life" in quotes because we use a different definition than most companies, namely that it will taste as good at the end of its shelf life as at the day it was produced. Other companies use a very low standard of "will sustain life", which frankly only means that the calories will still exist and won't kill you, not unlike a 25-year old bag of potato chips. But I digress...)

With the ultra-low water content w/MH foods (i.e., <2%), our food tends to be less affected by heat than most dehydrated foods (i.e., 5% - 25%) or MREs (essentially packed in liquid).

You can think of it this way, assuming everything else is equal (such as packaging materials, O2 levels, etc.): heat X moisture = poor results.

If you're looking at continuous high temperatures over the course of years, your mileage will definitely vary. But you should do all right w/MH in a car for a span of months or even years. You might just want to rotate it a bit more frequently than the MH you have in the back room.

In fact, a few years ago we sampled 30-year old pouches that had been stored in our warehouse at ambient temperatures, meaning that they sometimes hit temps that were regularly as high as 80 degrees, and sometimes over 100 degrees in the summer. We could tell a difference between archived pouches and new production, but the older pouches were still tasty.

I hope that helps!

--MH
Thank you very much! That is very reassuring and I will definitely purchase more for the BOV and for home LTS.

One of my other concerns was how well the packaging holds up to high temps. I just checked and the temp inside the box is 126 with the windows just cracked (perfect for a rare steak) and would surely be higher when it is over 100f out.

Thanks again for your response.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Well, you don't get a faster response than that!

I also said they would be conservative too. Note the lack of actual guess on years safe in the truck, yet perhaps they would want a far more accurate account of the seasonal temps to take a proper stab at it.

But their time testing seems to say it will probably taste better longer than your cans and dehydrated you store with the MH and should not be a problem for a number of years. If you rotate the stuff out every 3 to 5 years I can see them still being very edible and most assuredly safe.
Yes, I am very impressed. I actually plan to rotate at least every year or two, so I see no problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,689 Times in 2,124 Posts

lol, i've always just stored what i ate (made it easy to cycle), been eating mountain house stuff for years when out climbing and hiking, seeing this sort of response/explanation has made me double down on my brand of choice.

really appreciated the math used to determine shelf life there..sure it's still probably a ball park, but it's a more accurate ball park than "meh, should be good" lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Somewhere on a ranch...

Thanked 5,114 Times in 1,411 Posts

Mountain House is a quality company, from the food to the forum comments!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 40cal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Prepared

I agree, always been impressed with MH. My wife and I made the switch a few years ago from MRE's to MH for almost all our storage. Before we switched, we sampled several of the food items, and were pleasantly impressed with the taste, ease of preparation, and light weight. They have now been added to our large BOB's, home storage, and camping/hiking gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delvan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much! That is very reassuring and I will definitely purchase more for the BOV and for home LTS.

One of my other concerns was how well the packaging holds up to high temps. I just checked and the temp inside the box is 126 with the windows just cracked (perfect for a rare steak) and would surely be higher when it is over 100f out.

Thanks again for your response.
NCalHippie,

I double checked with our Packaging Engineer and our QA Dept. to see if we had any additional info on how our packaging structure performs at high temperatures. Turns out they did...

Our products were used by troops in Desert Storm and were subject to conditions similar to what you describe (temperatures cycling up to ~140 degrees F). Based on that experience, we would expect your results to be what I described earlier: a shelf life at a minimum of some number of months, quite possibly up to some number of years, depending on the specifics of your environment.

You will definitely want to keep the packages out of the light, as UV light will degrade laminated plastic structures. And you should rotate more frequently than you normally would, paying close attention to the quality of the food as you rotate it. That way you can determine the quality level and storage duration that work for your circumstances. So long as the packaging hasnít been breached, the food should be safe to eat.

Good luck!

--MH
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mountain House For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
NCalHippie,

I double checked with our Packaging Engineer and our QA Dept. to see if we had any additional info on how our packaging structure performs at high temperatures. Turns out they did...

Our products were used by troops in Desert Storm and were subject to conditions similar to what you describe (temperatures cycling up to ~140 degrees F). Based on that experience, we would expect your results to be what I described earlier: a shelf life at a minimum of some number of months, quite possibly up to some number of years, depending on the specifics of your environment.

You will definitely want to keep the packages out of the light, as UV light will degrade laminated plastic structures. And you should rotate more frequently than you normally would, paying close attention to the quality of the food as you rotate it. That way you can determine the quality level and storage duration that work for your circumstances. So long as the packaging hasnít been breached, the food should be safe to eat.

Good luck!

--MH
Thanks again MH! Your customer service is second to none in my book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,475 Times in 678 Posts

AND.....I don't know how new this is but they have Biscuits and Gravy !!!!!! I bought all the pouches at Wally World after I taste tested it. Just needs a little more pepper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exetermedic101 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exetermedic101 View Post
AND.....I don't know how new this is but they have Biscuits and Gravy !!!!!! I bought all the pouches at Wally World after I taste tested it. Just needs a little more pepper.
Wait, WHAT!? I don't know how I missed this post back then but I will be trying the biscuits and gravy!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Wait, WHAT!? I don't know how I missed this post back then but I will be trying the biscuits and gravy!
The biscuits and gravy are good. The first MH food I ate was turkey tetrazini. That had to have been when MH was pretty new. I was 17 and i'm 62 now. That stuff was good. It was on a overnight hike on Mt. Diablo. Good times.
The Following User Says Thank You to gorn5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,290 Times in 9,623 Posts

Quote:
NCalHippie,

Good luck!

--MH
I have been using MH entrees for several decades, and I noticed that your packaging has changed over time.

Soon after I bought my remote ranch land in 2006, I placed some MH pouches in a steel ammo can, and burried it. I also packed some MREs, rice, and beans. After I retired and moved here in 2015, I recovered the cache, and inspected the contents. I found the plastic packaging of the MH foods, had become brittle and split, and this allowed moisture to damage the contents.

When I went to replace my older MH foods, I noticed that I could order the same foods in foil pouches, or even #10 steel cans.

Can you comment on the shelf life of your product when stored in these containers?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,516 Posts

It's been a while since I have seen them post on any threads. You may want to shoot them an email and mention this forum to them to be sure of an answer on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post: