solar refrigerators ,,,Have one? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-Grid Cooking SOS Solar Sport solar oven Festes Food and water 17 07-01-2015 04:17 PM
Solar Charged Battery Bank to run my Well! (Solar Guru's Please Help) DocHoliday DIY - Do It Yourself 80 11-11-2014 03:09 PM
Solar Sport Solar Oven Mushroom Beef Festes Food and water 1 07-15-2014 07:33 PM
Refrigerators PFWAG Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 07-01-2013 10:16 AM
Portable Coolers & small refrigerators ScottB Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 12-10-2012 02:38 PM
Brilliant Solar Lighting Solution From the Philippines: Ingenius Solar Bottle Lights Akita Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 01-19-2012 05:24 PM
Solar Shingles See the Light of Day: Dow Chemical readies easy-to-install solar roofs whatsthatbehindyou Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 08-31-2010 08:10 PM
Solar Refrigerators... ImbriD Reviews and questions 1 08-18-2009 11:34 AM
Propane Refrigerators temu Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 07-20-2009 03:22 PM
Solar Rechargeable PreSidian Solar Keychain Light Sprig Survival Discussion, Articles, Reviews and Videos 1 05-16-2009 07:24 PM

Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,360 Times in 3,433 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyman View Post
I believe most RV refrigerators that will run on either electric or propane are absorption types. When they run on gas, a gas flame provides the heat needed. When it runs on electric, it is a heating element that provides the same heat as the gas would. It's not very efficient. Being able to operate on either gas or electric is generally one of their stronger selling points.
Absorption fridges aren't all that efficient and they don't take well to a lot of door opening. They also don't like high ambient temps. RV'ers try to park the fridge side away from the sun and often still have to resort to some kind of shade and/or fan setup to help the cooling unit keep up.

They work best (such as it is) on propane, then 120V and least on 12V. It is not recommended to run the fridge on 12V except during travel when the vehicle's alternator is providing the power, as otherwise the heating element will suck down the batteries.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,072 Posts

If cost is an issue(it always is for me) I think converting a chest freezer and running it through an inverter is the way to go. Obviously the more efficient the freezer is the better. Then use a little bit of the money you would have spent on a proper 12 volt fridge and use it to get an extra solar panel and battery to make up the difference in power consumption.

Where the fridge is can make a big difference in how much power it uses. In the summer our freezer is in the basement. In the winter we put it on the front porch and it can go for weeks at a time without kicking in. That would also help with solar because winters is when less solar power is available and when less power is needed to run a fridge/freezer.

I also have friends who have used a propane fridge for the last 10+ years. If they were to do it over again, they would have gone with a 120v fridge, solar panels, an inverter and batteries. They claim it costs around $40-$50 a month in propane for the fridge(they run other things on their propane tank as well so I don't know how accurate that number is) and it was quite expensive to buy it was difficult to get maintenance on it when it was new(ish) and had a problem.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,146 Times in 950 Posts

My rv fridge uses a 20 pound tank every two weeks. That's about a dollar a day. That's why I went to a 12 volt fridge. It costs nothing to run and paid for itself in about 10 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
My rv fridge uses a 20 pound tank every two weeks. That's about a dollar a day. That's why I went to a 12 volt fridge. It costs nothing to run and paid for itself in about 10 months.
Is that a full size fridge or a half or smaller size fridge?
Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,940 Times in 10,530 Posts

Recently I have been looking at several portable 12-24vDC Refer/Fridges that are from China on Ebay. There are a few that are chest style and of a fair size. I have no idea if they are reliable or not but the design seems pretty sound for a DC compressor unit. Prices are from $500 to $800. The power consumption puts them into the solar power range for a small setup.

Might be something for a person to experiment with to have a emergency source of food storage. The freezer aspect with a grid down scenario could be a life saver.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
Is that a full size fridge or a half or smaller size fridge?
An rv fridge. Medium sized, I'd say.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,049 Times in 316 Posts

About two years ago I purchased a Total Solar Max 6000 system (https://www.totalsolartechnologies.c...erator-Systems). I've put the PV panels in a Faraday cage I built for them and keep the batteries charged via the grid each month. Last winter we lost power for about 16 hours. Between my wood stove and the solar generator that I ran off the batteries for that outage, we kept our refrigerator, freezer, coffee maker and a hot plate going just fine. In the event of the SHTF, then I haul out the panels and hook them up to charge the batteries. I get 6,000 watts from the beast. Love it! And, of course, it's really quiet!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:23 PM

Why freeze your foods, there are other preservation methods.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:10 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,940 Times in 10,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ashley View Post
Because freezing is a better way to preserve food. It keeps the food closer to fresh.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,197 Times in 631 Posts

I'm also in the market trying to find 12V fridge with a good combination of size, features and price. Something like Dometic CFX series. There does not seem to be much competition, at least in this part of the world.

That being said, local store just put their rebrand of http://www.cn-jiayuan.com/content/?60.html for sale, 280. Otherwise it looks tempting but reported power consumption 4.2A vs. Dometic models under 1A. Makes me wonder if the 4.2A is worst case consumption instead of normal idle consumption.

That idle consumption matters since I'm going to keep that in my work vehicle. Charging second battery during driving and probably trickle charge with a single solar panel.

Quote:
Freeze dried beverages don't quench thirst as well as cold ones.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Freezing is the most efficient, quickest way.