Botulism Primer - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i ate a botulism pie. trixie Health, Fitness and First Aid 41 03-12-2019 08:53 PM
Botulism Primer on the forum Mels thinkingitover Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 03-07-2014 07:57 AM
Botulism in canning goods Krymsin Health, Fitness and First Aid 33 04-01-2012 10:08 AM
Botulism in homemade alcohol... Jules64 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 10-06-2011 10:58 AM
Botulism, symptoms, treatment SouthernBell Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 06-18-2011 06:36 AM
Botulism Danger with Moisture! rocktot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 11-16-2010 01:16 PM
why the worry about botulism? trixie Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 22 01-20-2010 09:22 AM
Botulism and cans kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 11-22-2009 08:48 PM
Botulism and you BJJ_Grappler Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-17-2009 07:58 AM

Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Never Abducted

Thanked 47,056 Times in 12,773 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
In a survival situation, many things might be done in a method that is more dangerous than in a normal situation. It is one of the reasons to arm ourselves with the knowledge ahead of time so we are the most prepared to reduce those risks.

It is hard to believe just how small an amount of toxin it takes to cause severe illness. Without the extensive medical support available today (and we would assume it would not be available in a survival situation) the death rate from botulism is 50%. That is steep.

If you water bath low acid foods and the toxin develops, it would only take getting the toxin on your can opener or spoon and then touching something else you would eat. Get a bit on your finger and then check the saltiness of your food and you have potentially ingested enough toxin to be a major problem.

The high risk of illness in improperly processed foods is one of the reasons it is so important to follow the two step process in home canning low acid foods. The first step - pressure canning, the second step - boiling for ten minutes after opening, has been developed because research showed that one - two punch makes the food safe. This method became recommended after much investigation into methods to make home canning safe and keep people alive.

Water bath canning does not kill the spores. The low acid, oxygen deprived environment in canned vegetables and meats is a breeding ground for botulism to develop the toxins.

One of the reasons many of us work toward having a backup canner and/or parts for our canners is to reduce the risk of having to preserve food in a proven unsafe manner. An entire family could be wiped out by a jar of green beans.

Does that mean we should not home can? No, but it does mean we need to provide for safe preservation of the food. Sometimes people say it is safer to purchase commercially canned food. In a survival situation, we are not looking at running to the local supermarket and picking up a can of food. So, we need to learn the risks and methods to alleviate the risks in home canning.

Would every jar of low acid food develop botulism toxin if waterbath canned - no. Would every jar of low acid food that was waterbath canned be a risk - yes. Just like Russian roulette is not a practical form of entertainment, playing the same type game with our food supply is not practical.

I have to assume that if I am in a situation where I have the jars, flats, rings, and food to can, then I'm also going to be in a situation where the other needed supplies such as a pressure canner are available. It's not like you can whip enough supplies out of a backpack to can up a few jars of the wild asparagus you find on the side of a trail. You are in a set up environment if canning is a possibility. If the zombie hordes stole your pressure canner, your neighbor's pressure canner (for sharing, not stealing), and you are faced with three bushels of green beans, it is time for whipping out the dehydrating skills and making leatherbritches, in my opinion.
Good advice Mel. I think that's one reason why it's important to have a pressure canner with the weights, at least as a back-up, in case there is no way to calibrate your gauge.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gamgee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,951 Times in 3,861 Posts

Thanks Mel for putting together such a well thought out and informative thread.

I think it serves not only to remind us how cautious we need to be regarding how dangerous Botulism can be, it also demonstrates how seldom this occurs and gives me more confidence in our canning processes that we will be safe.

It is threads like this that I find make Survival Board the great source for self-sufficiency that it is.

Be Prepared,
OBW
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 8,848 Times in 3,525 Posts

Subscribed to thread for future reference. I have nothing to add right now. Great work Mel!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sprkymrk For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,182 Times in 15,020 Posts

Thanks Mel!

As to the comment about boiling at 212 degrees vs canning at 240. My thought was that water boils at 212 but other foods boil at different temps (usually higher) don't they? Not that I've taken the temp of boiling pea soup, but I'll bet it is higher than 212 degrees. I think I'll take it's temp next time I open a jar and boil it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 03:05 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,822 Times in 19,110 Posts

Excellent work, Mel!

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 05:22 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,085 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
Thanks Mel!

As to the comment about boiling at 212 degrees vs canning at 240. My thought was that water boils at 212 but other foods boil at different temps (usually higher) don't they? Not that I've taken the temp of boiling pea soup, but I'll bet it is higher than 212 degrees. I think I'll take it's temp next time I open a jar and boil it.
There may be 15,000 different temperatures at which things boil, for the purposes of this explanation, it really doesn't matter. With the exception of elevation adjustments for high elevations, the instructions are very straightforward.

The people who had tons of lab equipment, botulinum spores and botulism toxin available determined through a lot of experimentation and testing, that the combination of processing methods and temperatures works to render food safe. It works.

Therefore, for me to make a chart of every possible food I might come in contact with and what it's particular variances could possibly be that might or might not cause me to kill my family with a toxin that should have been destroyed had I followed the instructions seems counter-productive to survival.

In waterbath canning, the temperature that the water boils is 212 degrees, not enough to kill botulinum toxin. In pressure canning, the temperature is raised to 240 degrees as a result of the action of the pressure canner. High elevations have some temperature differences in when water boils and have to use different pressure to achieve appropriate pressure when pressure canning. Those differences are addressed in modern canning manuals as needed.

Whatever PSI of pressure is required to can foods for your elevation, once it is reached it results in a 240 degree minimum environment inside the canner. That is the goal in home pressure canning. That is what kills botulinum spores.

Whatever temperature is required to bring foods to a boil and keep them that way for 10 minutes is what is required for any botulism toxin in foods to be neutralized.

There are several reasons for the different steps, as has been explained above. It takes such a very tiny bit of the toxin to cause severe illness that taking both of the steps is a small price to pay for a safe food supply.

Botulism is an extremely painful illness whose effects take up to 3 - 5 years to completely recover from, it is extremely expensive to treat in many cases, and without modern medical intervention has about a 50% death rate. It is entirely too easy to prevent by following safe food guidelines, to take chance on not following them. I look at my family and can't decide which ones should die because I was too hard-headed to follow proven instructions. It's simply not worth the risk in my opinion.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,746 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuyversurvivor View Post
this has always been a caution, and quiet terror to me.. I am encouraged to see the low prevalence of it,, I thought it was much more common
at the same time, I am not at all confident about home canning now.. not that I was...anyway,..

very thorough and much needed post thread,, I must re read this and take notes,,
hey, if SHTF,, I cannot read it here,, and this is big time important stuff,

a question = are sugared foods like jams and jellies safe from botulism ?

another, = you say the spores are not harmful, the toxin produced is.....if we eat fallen apples and such,, as we do is there any chance the toxin had developed in or on the ground or the apples, ? if so,, how do we handle that situation..

one more question,, I know you said 240 to kill the spores and 212 to neutraize the toxin,, but would extended ..hours and hours,, maybe 6 or 8 ...like slow pasteurization by "slow Cooking" or simmering
(I think simmering, not vigorous boiling would be just under 212 right ? )
, as I do in making applesauce----- render either of them harmless ?

anohter question = how about when making vinegar with the apples,

another = how about making applejack aka hard alcoholic cider '

in either of those cases can one be certain that botulism is not a threat

another (off Topic) question,, how about getting salmonella from slugs or snails crawling over fallen apples or tomatoes on the vine etc ( another thread perhaps ?)

Tnanks
I'll limit my answer specifically to the growth of botulism from spores. In order to breed and release toxin, botulism requires a moist, low acid and low O2 environment. We eat botulism spores every day. They float around in the air. But the gut is too acidic for them to grow. Infants under 1 year of age can be succeptible to botulism because they have not developed that acidity yet.

As for apples and such, they're acidic, but they're also in a high O2 environment so the spores can't develop.

Canned foods present that moist, low O2 environment. This is why one of two processes are used. High acid allows lower canning temperatures because while the spores are not killed, they can't breed because of the acid level. Low acid foods require the higher canning temperatures to render the spores inert.

Time is no substitute for temperature. If you can't pressure can, then the only other truly safe ways to can foods are by raising the acid level or using a preservative that doesn't allow botulism to grow. This is why you see sodium nitrate in cheap canned meats. It is not about shelf life. It's about preventing botulism so they can use the cheaper, lower heat canning process. The better canned meats don't have this because at higher canning temperatures, it's not required.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,789 Times in 3,502 Posts

Especially ridiculous is botulism suffered by stupid people who who to botox "parties" and overdose ....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,047 Times in 3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamgee View Post
If, in a survival situation where a pressure canner was not available, could one safely water bath can low-acid foods, as long as they boil it for ten minutes upon opening, thereby killing the toxin?
Quote:
In a survival situation, many things might be done in a method that is more dangerous than in a normal situation. It is one of the reasons to arm ourselves with the knowledge ahead of time so we are the most prepared to reduce those risks.

It is hard to believe just how small an amount of toxin it takes to cause severe illness. Without the extensive medical support available today (and we would assume it would not be available in a survival situation) the death rate from botulism is 50%. That is steep.

If you water bath low acid foods and the toxin develops, it would only take getting the toxin on your can opener or spoon and then touching something else you would eat. Get a bit on your finger and then check the saltiness of your food and you have potentially ingested enough toxin to be a major problem.

The high risk of illness in improperly processed foods is one of the reasons it is so important to follow the two step process in home canning low acid foods. The first step - pressure canning, the second step - boiling for ten minutes after opening, has been developed because research showed that one - two punch makes the food safe. This method became recommended after much investigation into methods to make home canning safe and keep people alive.

Water bath canning does not kill the spores. The low acid, oxygen deprived environment in canned vegetables and meats is a breeding ground for botulism to develop the toxins.

One of the reasons many of us work toward having a backup canner and/or parts for our canners is to reduce the risk of having to preserve food in a proven unsafe manner. An entire family could be wiped out by a jar of green beans.

Does that mean we should not home can? No, but it does mean we need to provide for safe preservation of the food. Sometimes people say it is safer to purchase commercially canned food. In a survival situation, we are not looking at running to the local supermarket and picking up a can of food. So, we need to learn the risks and methods to alleviate the risks in home canning.

Would every jar of low acid food develop botulism toxin if waterbath canned - no. Would every jar of low acid food that was waterbath canned be a risk - yes. Just like Russian roulette is not a practical form of entertainment, playing the same type game with our food supply is not practical.

I have to assume that if I am in a situation where I have the jars, flats, rings, and food to can, then I'm also going to be in a situation where the other needed supplies such as a pressure canner are available. It's not like you can whip enough supplies out of a backpack to can up a few jars of the wild asparagus you find on the side of a trail. You are in a set up environment if canning is a possibility. If the zombie hordes stole your pressure canner, your neighbor's pressure canner (for sharing, not stealing), and you are faced with three bushels of green beans, it is time for whipping out the dehydrating skills and making leatherbritches, in my opinion.
Good question and good answer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,473 Times in 613 Posts

Since I'm a microbiologist, and also a home canner, I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

In regards to reheating foods to destroy toxin, thats really playing Russian roulette! Botulism toxin is lethal in nanogram quanities, so tiny that most people can't even conceptionalize amounts so small. Immagine taking a paper clip, which has a mass of about 1 gram. Divide that paperclip into 1000 little snippets. Each would be a milligram. Now divide one snippet into 1000 peices. That's a microgram, so small you might not see it without a microscope. Now divide that microscopic snippet again. That's a nanogram. That's how dangerous botulism toxin is.

I think part of the problem with people accepting the idea that you MUST use a pressure canner is the cost of the equiment. If you go on-line right now, what you might find is an entry-level canner costing in the range of 60-75$. I suppose that inital cost is enough to dissuade some.

I have to say that I now have 4 different canners, and the most I've payed for one is 15$. And that was for a very nice 23 qt Presto. The first thing you might say is that an old canner needs to checked by the county extension office, which also might entail some cost.

I'm in a position to validate the functionality of my own canners because I have access to autoclave thermometers that can record the temperatures inside the canner while it's pressurized. What I've found is that as long as you repace the gasket, every single canner I've tested stayed within specification. BTW, I only buy weighted exhaust canners, which keep the canner in a certain pressure via their weight, because the mass of the weight will never change.

So, there really is no valid reason why everybody can't have their own canner in their kitchens.

I use my canner exclusively, but it might be appropriate to mention two obsolete methods used back in the 19th century. One is salt bath canning, and the other is called Tindylization. In salt bath canning, you boil the jars submered in a saturated salt solution. The massive salt concentration raises the boiling point of water to 240F, the same as in the canner. The problem though is that the salt is so corrosive, and you're likely to have pinholes eaten through your lids simply because all the salt isn't removed.

The second obsolete method is Tindylization, which required sequencial heating at 212F over a three day period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndallization

The stratege here is that heat is one of the factors that makes the botulism spores germinate and grow into new cells. Upon the first heating, all the vegative cells are killed, but the botulism spores are stimulated to germinate. But, the subsequent REHEATING a day later kills the newly germinated cells before they have a chance to produce new spores. The third heating just makes sure that any stragglers not killed in the first reheating get killed in the second. Any toxin produced by the newly sprouted spores gets distroyed in either the first or second reheating.

I know about these techniques because of micro 101 class, but never have attempted either because a canner is just so much more easy and straightforward. But, in a life or death starvation situation without a canner, I might want to revisit them.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MichaelK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

MichaelK, you are right that botulism is nothing to play around with. The heating of food to a boil for 10 minutes is the second step of a two step prevention program. The first step should always be use of appropriate pressure canning methods for all low acid foods. This is what the USDA and CDC recommend after great testing to determine the sequence that renders food safe.

Low acid foods are everything but fruits and some tomatoes. Tomatoes must have acid added to them, they are not as acidic as they once were. Most people preparing fruits and fruit products for canning at home add lemon juice or citric acid as part of the canning process. That assures the acidity is high enough when added to their natural acidity for waterbath canning. Low acid foods, however, cannot have the acidity raised enough by the addition of an acid and must be pressure canned.

I did not mention salt bath canning as a canning option because, while as a scientific theory it works, in a practical kitchen application it most often results in unsealed, wasted food. It was dropped as a viable canning method in the late 40's when pressure canners became available on the open market.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Tomatoes must have acid added to them, they are not as acidic as they once were.
A short KISS discussion about tomato acidity.
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=383

A more detailed one as it relates to canning tomatoes.
http://www.joe.org/joe/2010december/rb6.php

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 01:20 PM
High Concept

Thanked 6,735 Times in 2,434 Posts

Quote:
The four enemies of successful long term food storage are light, oxygen, moisture and heat.
No the greatest enemy of successful long term food storage is procrastination poisoning. You need to filter out all the sodium procrastinate in your local town water before even consider getting into food storage.
Otherwise you will never get around to doing it.

Last edited by MikeK; 03-04-2014 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Don't do that
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Web Designer

Best post in a long time here!!!

Thanks!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeV1234 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,051 Posts

Excellent thread thank you!
If, In a survival situation, how are most thinking go a source of heat for pressure canning?
Has anyone pressure canned over an open fire? Wood stove?
I've heard several people mention gas outdoor cookers/fryers, that they use.
Thoughts??
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bestfriendroo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriendroo View Post
If, In a survival situation, how are most thinking go a source of heat for pressure canning?
Thoughts??
My first choice would be my gas indoor stove. I figure it will run longer than the electric will run. Next would be bottled gas on a turkey fryer burner. Finally I'd look into upsizing your typical brick rocket stove. Come to think about it, that seems like a nice project to attack with my mediocre masonry skills.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,746 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriendroo View Post
Thoughts??
I've pressure canned over a wood fire just to learn how to do it. It's best to do a lot of practice cooking over one first, to learn how to control heat by adding and subtracting coals. But you can keep an even enough heat to keep pressure up. It just takes constant supervision.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Catch Me If You Can...

Thanked 1,842 Times in 550 Posts

Can we possibly sticky this in the Farming/Gardening and Homesteading section?
The Following User Says Thank You to firebirdx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdx View Post
Can we possibly sticky this in the Farming/Gardening and Homesteading section?
There will be other foodborne illnesses reported on and then a summary sticky with the link to the various ones would be appropriate possibly.

I put it in this section at this time because it affects commercially canned and home canned foods along with our general preparedness knowledge. Many members on the forum never venture into the Farming, Gardening, and Homesteading section of the forum.

I'll try to post in that section and reference this thread, perhaps that will help.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Target Shooter

awesome thread, i don't can (unless you count pickled eggs) but i have some people who would find this very useful
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aimlow For This Useful Post: