Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Large Paws & Small CCW's Sparks69 Pistol and Revolver Forum 43 02-13-2014 06:20 PM

Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,156 Times in 3,558 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
Thought about trying to grow some but I understand it takes several years before they start bearing fruit. But, as a friend said, the best time to plant a tree was ten years ago.
2-3 years for a Paw Paw. Compare that to a Pecan at 10-12.

Al
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Prepared

My father-in-law eats those whenever he finds them. He currently has three trees planted. They are pretty good....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shanna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM
I love this forum

Paw Paws are amazing...if you want a desert to die for, go for homemade paw paw ice cream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,501 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Diehl View Post
2-3 years for a Paw Paw. Compare that to a Pecan at 10-12.

Al
realy 2-3 years to fruit

mine are much older 6-8 years and still not 1 flower , mayabe it has to do with climate or transplants seem to take a while for them to catch ?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,156 Times in 3,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYCHICKEN View Post
realy 2-3 years to fruit

mine are much older 6-8 years and still not 1 flower , mayabe it has to do with climate or transplants seem to take a while for them to catch ?
I have some that are barely over 1 foot tall and bearing fruit. Kentucky State University says 5-8 years from a seed. But, grafted trees that you purchase should bear fruit in 3 years.

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm

Al
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Target Shooter

I have eaten Paw Paws several times in the fall hunting. Most of them grow under forest canopy in partial shade. I have encountered them in Hardwood bottom forest and in valleys in the Ozark mountains. They are very sweet and taste like a cross between a banana and a persimmon. When they ripen they can be smelled from a long way off in the woods. They don't keep very well in your pocket. You can put a green one in your pocket and when you take it out it will be black skinned mush. Starks Nursery in Missouri sells plants.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Smile Yum!

We collected 52lbs of them on one day this fall. It's too late in the year now to pick them; but keep your eyes open for where they are growing and make a note of it so you can return next year. I am planning on harvesting again next year around Sept. 1st.

Here is my blog on our pawpaw experience this year. (scroll past the rest of the family pictures)
http://crosstrailshomeschool.blogspo...-paw-hike.html

We will have to try making pawpaw ice cream, does anyone have a good recipe?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jfiscus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,375 Posts

THey grow in my state. but my location is iffy . . . I ended up buying 5 trees from a local plant nursery that had a pawpaw patch growing on site :-)

I tried to plant them where they have plenty of shade until they get larger.
The trees them selves were about 1 yard tall and less than an inch thick.

I've been doing research on Yaupon holly which can be used to brew a caffeinated tea from it's leaves.

I also need to acquire a mulberry tree :-)

I've really been wanting to grow native plants because I know they will grow.

I planted 2 peach trees early march and they leaves are turning funky colors while the ones at the store are still green as can be.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Why is the Rum gone?

Thanked 13,238 Times in 3,678 Posts

I sure wish I'd found this tread when it was first started.

I've known about the Paw Paws on my place, but had never seen fruit...until this year.
We have identified several different Paw Paw groves (at least six) in the woods and have just cultivated them this year. We cleared out the undergrowth and left the upper canopy to provide the shade.

We got alot of fruit, but the taste varied from time to time because of the drought.
After a good rain, the fruit tasted better, almost persimmon/cantelope like with a dash of banana.
Probably make good babyfood.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoFlyZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,337 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Diehl View Post
I have some that are barely over 1 foot tall and bearing fruit. Kentucky State University says 5-8 years from a seed. But, grafted trees that you purchase should bear fruit in 3 years.

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm

Al
Pawpaws grow easily in my area but I didn't have any particularly close to me. In the Fall of 2014 I planted two named 'bare roots' and watched anxiously for signs of life the following Spring. Unfortunately both grafts failed but suckers sprouted from the rootstock. Both are now about two feet tall.
A friend of mine started 6 unknown cultivars from seed that same Fall in pots and gave me three plants that I planted Spring of 2015. One is now a spindly 12 footer and has produced it's first blooms. Three and a half years from seed to flower. It's sibling is just over half that size and has nothing but leaves. Pawpaws often bloom before they leaf out so now, depending on your area, is a good time to hunt for them so that you can go back in the Fall.
I'm not likely to get any fruit from this tree since "Asimina triloba" is almost never self fertile, but one can always hope.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Better Looking Than You

Thanked 2,310 Times in 593 Posts

Nice find. I haven't had a paw paw in years, but I remember how good they are. We have a BIG blackberry patch on our land in northern AZ. It is like "oustside candy" as my daughter called it when she was a kid. Here in southern AZ we have prickly pear fruit on our land. My wife makes the best prickly pear jam. I bet the paw paw would be great in preserves.
No, I read your last post. At first I merely rolled my eyes and shook my head, but then nearly had to quit reading because I was worried that your brand of stupid was contagious because everyone who agreed with you seemed to drop IQ points with every word.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frisco85132 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 02:08 PM
American by Choice

I tried planting paw paws for three years, with no success.

Research told me that paw paws don't transplant well unless you buy one grafted onto a hardier root stock. I ordered from Stark's because they sell bare root, grafted paw paws in several varieties. Hoping to get a quicker start, I also paid extra for their "hand selected" plants, which are supposed to be significantly taller than their standard ones, and have more foliage.

I bought one of every type they had, both for variety as well as pollination, and an extra tree of the two varieties that sounded like they had better flavor. The first "select" paw paw tree was only 6" tall, broken in half, with one single, tiny, 2-3" bare root on it. Needless to say, it didn't survive planting. None of the "select" plants were very impressive and were actually MUCH smaller than any of the standard bare-root trees I bought from them.

I followed planting instructions to the letter, particularly on the paw paws since they were supposed to be a bit finicky. None of the rest of the paw-paws survived the first winter, despite being allegedly suited to my zone and soil type. In accordance with Stark's guarantee I requested replacement trees. After multiple calls they grudgingly agreed to send replacements when they were available. Just before Thanksgiving, the following year, with a foot of snow on the ground, they sent replacements for TWO of the paw paw trees. They didn't respond to my emails asking about the rest of the trees they were supposed to send.

With the ground frozen I couldn't plant the trees outside, so I planted them in large pots inside, filled with my local soil. The instructions were specific in stating you should plant them in the local soil so the roots can get accustomed to it (or something like that) and NOT to backfill the hole with any kind of topsoil mix. Just local soil.

The plants seemed to do fine inside in pots. I planted them outside in the spring and they survived the transplant. However, they died during the following winter, again.

Between that experience, and other troubles I've had with Stark's, I'm not ordering from them ever again.

I'd like to try growing paw paws again sometime, I just need to find another source.
The Following User Says Thank You to MBI For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,023 Posts

I used to have a large patch in the woods where I grew up. I could never beat the animals to them. I live on a very small mountain in VA (out west it is a hill). While the elevation is not that high, I notice a big difference in vegetation from the lowlands near by that I grew up in. Here gum oaks, red oaks and large polar dominate compared to white oaks hickory and maples down low. Mountain laurel is thick up here and I had never seen it growing up. I am just one half a county over from where I grew up. Anyway, I wondered if paw paw would grow up here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Trapper

I took these pics a couple of weeks ago. It had been decades since I last saw blooms and I had forgotten how dull they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180429_163600.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	266729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180429_163554.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	266737  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Trapper

I took some more pictures today and several, if not most of the blossoms, appear to be setting fruit! I'm not familiar with Asimina triloba's fruiting behavior - unfertilized fruit might just dry up and fall off. I simply don't know. Again, my understanding is that pawpaws are pollinated by flies/beetles. I never saw any bees but did see a fairly large 'bug' or two that just appeared to be sitting and resting.
I've walked virtually all of the surrounding woodlands, many times, and have never seen local pawpaws that would serve as a "partner."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180511_115423.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	267114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180511_115439.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	267122  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:37 PM
The river flows

Iím growing pawpaws just outside Toronto. I bought them as saplings, it has taken six years to get fruit. This year they are late, flower buds not open yet. I found they were shade sensitive for only two years.

I also have pawpaws at my country retreat north of Toronto, zone 4. It can go as cold as -30C there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,588 Times in 458 Posts

Dang. Paw paws need acid soil.
The Following User Says Thank You to RufusJ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Mjolnir View Post
I took some more pictures today and several, if not most of the blossoms, appear to be setting fruit! I'm not familiar with Asimina triloba's fruiting behavior - unfertilized fruit might just dry up and fall off. I simply don't know.
Unfortunately that appears to be the case here. The small fruit 'sets' were there for a few days and when I thought to check them a few days later, they were gone. Maybe next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Trapper

Both Pawpaw siblings bloomed this year, and both appear to have set fruit. I did see some large bluish/black flies buzzing around them. Hoping for better luck than last year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190508_064815.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	286888  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,029 Times in 924 Posts

When paw paws flower you are suppose to hang rotten meat. The flowers also smell of rotten meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post: