Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Good Doctor Retires: 88-year-old doctor charges $5 per visit bertzie General Discussion 2 11-03-2013 05:32 PM
Imperfect Survival Gear site? DesertSon Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 11-15-2009 04:38 PM
great new survival site steve5 General Discussion 1 05-30-2009 09:14 AM
Minutemen/Survival site. What do you think? hanklet0 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 168 02-10-2009 09:24 AM
Survival Library Download Site... skyscrapers General Discussion 5 11-26-2008 03:32 PM
This is a cool doomsday survival site! Vursitan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 05-13-2008 01:47 PM
I run the Doomsday Survival site! Vursitan New Member Introduction 0 05-12-2008 05:55 PM

Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,077 Posts

Advertise Here

A Great Site!! Much needed around here!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Sorry, jfountain2, I'm not even close to an expert on fish antibiotics. From reading past posts I know there are some strong opinions.
I do know it's one thing to take fish antibiotics when there's nothing else is going to be available in life threatening emergencies. It's clearly another to take an antibiotic just to save a doctor's visit. I know I'm not going to convince those who think it's some vast conspiracy among doctors and pharmaceutical companies to make money. But we really do go to school for reasons. Viral infections don't need antibiotics. Certain antibiotics are better at treating certain bacterial infections. There are side effects, dosage concerns, allergic reactions. You're decreasing you're own resistance by taking antibiotics when you don't need them. For instance, many bacteria that cause skin, ear, sinus infections have grown resistant to amoxicillin. What we call superbugs--bacteria resistant to almost all antibiotics have emerged partly due to overuse of taking antibiotics. Methacillin Resistant Staph (MRSA) is one.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,779 Times in 12,356 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSurvivalDoctor View Post
Sorry, jfountain2, I'm not even close to an expert on fish antibiotics. From reading past posts I know there are some strong opinions.
I do know it's one thing to take fish antibiotics when there's nothing else is going to be available in life threatening emergencies. It's clearly another to take an antibiotic just to save a doctor's visit. I know I'm not going to convince those who think it's some vast conspiracy among doctors and pharmaceutical companies to make money. But we really do go to school for reasons. Viral infections don't need antibiotics. Certain antibiotics are better at treating certain bacterial infections. There are side effects, dosage concerns, allergic reactions. You're decreasing you're own resistance by taking antibiotics when you don't need them. For instance, many bacteria that cause skin, ear, sinus infections have grown resistant to amoxicillin. What we call superbugs--bacteria resistant to almost all antibiotics have emerged partly due to overuse of taking antibiotics. Methacillin Resistant Staph (MRSA) is one.

I agree Doc, I would never recommend anyone skip going to the doctor and self diagnosing and self medicating, it's just a really bad idea.
My concern is more along the line of stocking up for when we can't go to a doctor. A lot of people here get pet meds and stock up, others try to find natural alternatives, the biggest issue most of us face is no doctor will prescribe normal meds without us being sick, therefore it's difficult to stock up on.
For example, my wife takes Xanax, she's been taking it for 15 years, in an emergency if she ran out she would die.... her doctor still won't prescribe a few extras each month (and if he did insurance wouldn't allow it) so we are stuck with hoping Valerian root works if the need arises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM

I see what your saying, JFountain2, especially with scheduled meds like Xanax. I think you're doing all you can. As for storing non-scheduled drugs, it is possible some docs might be talked into a refill. Get the refill and store it. If you need the same med again, get a another script. Take the stored med and store the new one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Would love some feedback on my new video and post on Nursemaid's elbow. It's a common injury for children under 6. http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/201...semaids-elbow/
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Trench foot used to a common army malady. Anybody heard of it lately? http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/201...2/trench-foot/
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM

I have a series of three posts on frostbite on my blog site including pros and cons of walking on a frozen foot, when not to rewarm, etc. Agree? Disagree?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Looks great. I'll have to check it out more.
The Following User Says Thank You to elisha54 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,347 Times in 2,814 Posts

thanks. i book marked it. ive been looking for a site like yours
The Following User Says Thank You to stant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Can a bruise cause the serious blood clots that go to the lungs? See my new blog post and comment. Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM

My post today helps you recognize serious finger infections and tips on what to do about them until you can get further medical help. I would love to hear your comments.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Trapper

Hello and thanks for join this forum we need a Dr advice on here a
lot of times to clear up stuff. One thing I would like to ask in a SHTF
deal when most Dr and Hospitals are over taxed and if antibiotic were
not available will silver get raid of an infection some thing like colloidal silver
or silver impregnated wrapping what is your take on silver to be able to kill grems.

I have heard both it dose and it dosent. I know a lot of old home remeades
that were handed down thru the years are said not to work.Like this plant that plant .
i know one time I was in a DR office was talking about having hart burn bad some times
and that I was going to take some baking soda to see if it would get raid of it and he said
thats just a wast of time wont do a thing for you he give me a script for zantac.
later I tryed it and it took about 60 sec of it to work got raid of it a lot fast that the
zantac ever thought about doing.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Dobbs,

Yes, baking soda can definitely relief the symptoms of heartburn. It was a popular remedy before Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, etc came out. The problem is if you have to take it often it can change the delicate acid/base balance in your blood. Your body doesn't like that. I'm not sure how often but I'd be conservative and wouldn't take it more than once or twice a week. Tums and Rolaids also work for occasional heartburn.

Colloidal silver is a little trickier. Many alternative medicine advocates swear by it. But a couple of sites I use for objective fact finding on alternative medicine don't care for it worth a hoot.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA36338...al-silver.html

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/silver

I'd be more prone to use it externally on infected cuts and wounds maybe. If I had no other choice I might take it for an internal infection, but in small doses and only for, say, 10 days or so.

In other words, use it at your own risk.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,944 Times in 8,893 Posts

It's good to see an MD active on the boards, there are some of us here with varying degrees of experience and training. And it is good to see that what we have said about some of the pet meds etc being validated.

I look forward to reading your posts and your website.

Doc
HM1(DV/FMF/PJ) USN Ret.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Trapper

thanks Doc that helped. I know on some pet meds I have looked up the numbers on pill and it show the same pill like pencillin I had some from a script
and got some from a pet store couldnt tell the differance side by side
same color and markings. so if I need to take them later in a SHTF
I would use the same amount 3 times a day for 10 days at 500mg ea
I had an abcseed tooth. I figgured that was the most you could take sence
how bad an abscess I had .I know you can only take it for so long then
not take it for a while from what I have been told.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks, Doc Shane
Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 7,160 Times in 2,529 Posts

Hey Doc, thanks for the new site and all the great info. I have a question pertaining to something I did not see on your site and will be a problem after THSTF. What about a bad case of jock itch? Down here in the south with the hot humind weather and other issues. This can become a real problem. How can it be handled?

Thanks
HH54r
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Hi HH54r,

For jock itch, the best thing is keep some terbinafine cream 1% (Lamisil) on hand. If you don't have that, try tea tree oil. Apply a thin film on the rash four times a day for 2 weeks. With either treatment make sure you get all the rash and a half-inch or so beyond the borders. Also make sure you treat it until the rash is all gone, and then a few days.

People prone to get jock itch and athlete's foot tend to get it back often. The best way to prevent it is to keep the feet and groin as dry as possible. Wear loose fitting clothes, dry cotton socks and underwear. When you bath, make extra sure you've dried all the cracks and creases. Use talcum powder if you have some. You need to do all these things when you're treating it also.

Thanks for the question
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM

I've had so many people try to lance a boil at home only to make the infection worse. It's best to see a doctor but if you can't, I have some tips on my latest post. Hope it's clear. Please ask any questions if it's not.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,944 Times in 8,893 Posts

We have had several discussions on alternative anesthetics for suturing, the scenario being either remote location or inability to get to a doctor.

Would topical solutions such as benzocaine, etc. work?

Some of us have been trained and are experienced with suturing but lack access to Lidocaine. I tend to advocate things like steri strips and other bandages, but there are times a wound requires repair either with staples or sutures.

you can send me a PM if you want.

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"

Last edited by Doc_Shane; 02-29-2012 at 11:24 AM..