Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to buy Gold and Silver when money is... joe_schmoe Financial Forum 24 01-22-2014 06:49 PM
Scrap silver and gold recovery for survivalist money usmountains DIY - Do It Yourself 5 07-31-2013 06:55 PM
13 States Now Considering Gold and Silver as Money Branned Financial Forum 13 09-28-2012 05:44 PM
Silver price direction mirrors US Base Money Supply 97guns Financial Forum 1 04-29-2012 02:24 PM
Where to put your money? not a gold/silver thread voland Financial Forum 12 11-18-2011 06:26 PM
Website That Lists Foreign Money Made of Silver BigfootDL Financial Forum 13 08-14-2011 07:46 AM
Money, investments? Gold silver? bug out money? FloridaState Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 10-09-2010 02:46 PM
Paper money vs Silver ozarkeagle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 05-03-2010 10:52 AM
Brute fact about money gold and silver Dr.prepper Financial Forum 53 01-13-2010 07:47 PM

Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Frozen Patriot

Advertise Here

Junk silver is ok if you only plan on bartering with it at some future date but one should consider that at some future date the price of Ag is going to be much higher than it is right now, at some point it will be traded by weight not face value. Coins with a lot of wear will be worth less than uncirculated or lightly circulated, you might also consider generic rounds or bars.

DS
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Farnorthdan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Prepared

We bought some silver from apmex and was really happy with the service.

We bought several sizes of rounds as a starting point into Silver. Next time I might buy eagles and a couple of 5 or 10 oz bars.

Good thread and want to see how other people buy silver.
The Following User Says Thank You to StoneWallAdam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 AM

Default Got some money, want to buy silver

Oh! I love it! I really like to wear silver...How I wish I could see your silver.

Milk in Tea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Not playing games

Thanked 1,676 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captned View Post
Hey all, not real sharp when it comes to PM's. I would like to buy some silver. Have searched on here, just looking for some more opinions about what I should buy. Maple leafs, eagles??

Thanks in advance....

Cheers!
Diversify, even with 10k you want to spread it around.

Look at auctions on Ebay. Yeah, I know ... but once you know the prices you can spot a decent deal.
Just don't forget the shipping costs on the larger consignments.

Sites you and any other PM collecter must know about;

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html

http://www.coinflation.com/

Silver has jumped more than Gold and has more room left to jump, but Gold still has lots of wiggle-room since the investors are not even close to being "all-in".
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Exorcist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 AM
1/2 water 1/2 woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew123 View Post
Oh! I love it! I really like to wear silver...How I wish I could see your silver.

Milk in Tea
Nice first post!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 AM
1/2 water 1/2 woods

The Goldline guy was nice, but he was stuck on selling me liberty halfs, as he said the content of silver and the price was the best way to go.... Sounded like he was trying to unload them... Wonder why???
Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Not playing games

Thanked 1,676 Times in 707 Posts

Speaking of halves, I just saw an offer for 12 of them on Ebay for 179$, I offered 155 and he came back with 165$.
Makes me wonder too.

So, you have 10,000 to spend, all on PMs?
Well, if you must....

Wait a couple of months, word is that Gold might dip one last time, before it goes through the roof again. Might want to set 2,000 aside to wait for an opportunity.

6,000 for Silver, large ingots are good to avoid the mark-up on individual pieces. A couple of Kilo bricks and one-ounce rounds by the dozen. Only about 15% of what I have is old US coins, called "junk" silver.

Old Canadian dimes are only 80% silver, other foreign coins are at least as bad, that's what I would call junk!

Don't be tempted by Copper and Platinum in a big way. A little is fine, but it sounds like you are not a prepper like some of us here ... those metals will loose value in an economic slow-down and industrial demand plummets.

You live in two states? Well, there should be a good dealer in one of the places you live. Go find an honest one and write some prices down, gives you another yardstick and you might get lucky enough to find the best deals locally.
I did.

Hope that helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Exorcist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Silver has been pretty unstable lately. I have a mix of silver that is about 45% dimes and quarters, then 25% peace and Morgans, 10% eagles, 10% maples, 10% of these Mexican 30g 90% silver coins, that are the roughly the size of an ASE but have the silver content of a US 90% dollar. I picked them up for $3.16 ea. The way I figure if we have to BO we can head north or south with out currency issues.
I have bought from old people, Craig’s list, eBay, even at flea markets and at garage sales, I try and stay away from coin and pawn shops or silver brokers and companies, because they charge high premiums, although I did get two SAE for $19.00 way back when, from Investment Rarities Inc. through an add they put out, my father bought a half bag of dimes from them but the premium was to high for me at the time I was getting better deals on eBay. He did double his money and cashed it all out really high, I sold some then too but bought back even more when the prices dropped.
Since eBay has started keeping records of silver, I rarely use them unless its extremely undervalued. Craig’s has been full of garbage lately. I have seen adds that have gold or silver but they had to raise the price from what the add offered, I’m not sure if it was a bait and switch or if it was the huge price fluctuation. I have noticed that when the Jap quake hit and when we killed osama the price dropped a lot. And people panicked and sold good quantities for cheap. Keep an eye out for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dondiego124 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondiego124 View Post
Silver has been pretty unstable lately. I have a mix of silver that is about 45% dimes and quarters, then 25% peace and Morgans, 10% eagles, 10% maples, 10% of these Mexican 30g 90% silver coins, that are the roughly the size of an ASE but have the silver content of a US 90% dollar. I picked them up for $3.16 ea. The way I figure if we have to BO we can head north or south with out currency issues.
I have bought from old people, Craig’s list, eBay, even at flea markets and at garage sales, I try and stay away from coin and pawn shops or silver brokers and companies, because they charge high premiums, although I did get two SAE for $19.00 way back when, from Investment Rarities Inc. through an add they put out, my father bought a half bag of dimes from them but the premium was to high for me at the time I was getting better deals on eBay. He did double his money and cashed it all out really high, I sold some then too but bought back even more when the prices dropped.
Since eBay has started keeping records of silver, I rarely use them unless its extremely undervalued. Craig’s has been full of garbage lately. I have seen adds that have gold or silver but they had to raise the price from what the add offered, I’m not sure if it was a bait and switch or if it was the huge price fluctuation. I have noticed that when the Jap quake hit and when we killed osama the price dropped a lot. And people panicked and sold good quantities for cheap. Keep an eye out for that.
The Silver market is small. Historically, the volatility has always been high.

These drops are buying points for people.

The fundamentals haven't changed. Precious metals will do fine in the coming years.

Just don't spend the rent money. Don't borrow to buy precious metals.

Realistically, any bullion purchased for less than $50 is fine.

Silver might test $31, again.

Average in and out of positions. Don't try to time the bottoms or tops.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundsvall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Silent Defender

Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,005 Posts

Today would be a good day to buy if you're ready to get in now. It's currently down 10% in intraday trading.
The Following User Says Thank You to Octomonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
1/2 water 1/2 woods

Yea, I been watching it all day.......Did buy a small amount of Liberty halfs off ebay... The Apmex people were very nice to talk too...
Old 09-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Cranky Old Guy

You might want to consider spending 1/4 of your money now buying gold and/or silver, and see what happens. Buy again with 1/4th of your funds in maybe a couple of weeks or a month, and keep doing that.
If the price rises, you already have some cheap PM's. If the price falls, you will be buying at a discount and averaging down.

PM's should be a long term investment as no one I know can accurately predict the short term movements.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elmo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Hunter

Now is a good time to buy. Spot price down 10%!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundsvall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Default Silver

I would go for kilo silver bars and take physical possession. If you do want to buy and hold with a dealer I would recommend offshore like goldmoney.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunder8 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM

I would wait till tomorrow at open to make a choice as we are still not done FALLING IMO. I would also look at silver closet to spot price if you are just starting out. There are a few places offering buffalo rounds at .89 over spot. If you are pateint ebay can be a place to score under spot deals on the regular.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seedlessone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM
1/2 water 1/2 woods

Thanks guys, I'll wait to opening tomorrow..My moneys not coming in until wiring time Monday morning.

Suprise, suprise! My wife's onboard with this prep!!! Guess that's a start!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,409 Times in 2,889 Posts

Thanks for this thread and info.

Had about 2 more paragraphs and some questions but I won't steal this thread so time to make my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM
1/2 water 1/2 woods

Still going down!! 33.13 @9:45.....
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Hunter

Start buying in. Its impossible to call a bottom.

Just take this giant dip as a gift.

You'll be buying in at Jan 2011 prices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sundsvall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Thanked 3,173 Times in 913 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundsvall View Post
Start buying in. Its impossible to call a bottom.

Just take this giant dip as a gift.

You'll be buying in at Jan 2011 prices.
Good advice Sundsvall. It's funny how many swear that they were going to buy on the next dip. In my experience in the trade, they seldom do because they are always waiting for it to fall "just a bit more". Then they ride it down and watch it go back up with no action on their part other than great regret.

I asked a couple of them why and it is the herd mentality. When it goes down it looks less attractive. When it goes up the fever hits. People need to think long term but most do not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scruggs For This Useful Post: