Being followed (vehicle) - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 211 06-19-2019 09:57 PM
In your vehicle El Roberto Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 09-22-2016 09:06 PM
Bug out vehicle? Here's your bug out vehicle! Pictures and link. Pangea Vehicles & Transportation 13 01-17-2016 12:15 PM
My EMP bug out vehicle faceman Vehicles & Transportation 41 08-22-2015 10:52 PM
GHB in a hot vehicle Glenda Sue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 10-01-2014 01:08 AM
Bug Out Vehicle theunknownvariable Vehicles & Transportation 7 09-26-2014 06:56 AM
What vehicle do we want? twyggy Vehicles & Transportation 28 08-27-2014 12:40 PM
Is vehicle RANGE important to you in your BUG OUT vehicle? bozar Vehicles & Transportation 64 10-28-2013 10:02 PM
First Aid Kit in Hot Vehicle?? umc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-16-2011 02:05 PM
1st vehicle, what do I need? roof_top_eagle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 04-14-2010 05:13 PM

Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM
uhhh, OK

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackroutetracer View Post
If the guy was following me AFTER I did a short test by taking four right or four left turns and ending up right where I started my test then I would stop my car, turn on my hazards, get out with my hand on the outside of my right hip (like I was holding my shirt down to cover something), walk back to his car and ask him why he is following me. No matter what answer he gives I would in a loud and firm voice tell him to stop following me, walk back to my car and drive off again doing the four turn test. If the fool is still following me then I would drive to the police department.

This is the non-lethal way I would tell someone else to go about it.

If you carry a weapon on your side you can always get out of the car and let the wind do a quick reveal for you and simply yell at the car to stop following you and then leave.
I personally believe in a situation like that if you get out of your car and pretend you have a gun and approach the other vehicle, you will find out if the other guy has a gun........the hard way. I think pretending to have a gun (especially when you don't)in SOME situations is a really bad idea.

What if it was an unmarked cop car, and he was running your plates because a vehicle matching your description was reported stolen. The possibilities are endless. Do you really want to approach a cop on duty or off while pretending to have a weapon of any kind. There are more than just one reason for someone to follow you closely. Some people just aren't real bright.

I can see the headline. "Man gunned down for pretending to have a weapon". An unarmed man was killed today on the side of interstate X. Witnesses say two men pulled off the road to settle a road rage incident. One motorist approached the other one pretending to be armed. That's when the other man, who said he feared for his life, pulled his cc firearm and put two rounds in the other man's chest. Cops say that statements from witnesses that drove by, and occupants of the shooters car, all seemed to match and it was a clear case of self defense.

I think I will refrain from ACTING like I am armed or FLASHING MY PIECE.

Hack, I am telling you this because in my personal opinion there are better options that probably will result in better outcomes.YMMV

{I am editing this post to clarify beforehand, I AM NOT ANTIGUN, QUITE THE OPPOSITE, I OWN MORE THAN A FEW AND HOPE TO OWN MORE, I BELIEVE IN LAW ABIDING CITIZENS RIGHT TO CARRY, I PLAN ON GETTING A CC LICENSE, I RE READ THIS POST AND DIDN'T WANT ANYONE TO GET THE IMPRESSION I WAS ANTIGUN. ALLRIGHT, CARRY ON.

Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 06-02-2011 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: clarification
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Sobchak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 PM

step 4 is useless. That kind of thing is not priority for local PD.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Target Shooter

I had a similar situation once when I was younger. I pulled over, got out and challenged him to a fight..He drove off...Not the smartest thing I've ever done.

Now, I'd just drive directly to a police or fire station, if I was in a neighborhood I was familiar with. Never hurts to have a backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,510 Times in 2,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
I would of just pulled over. Guy was gettin a rise outta scaring you.
I always pull over and slow down and give the driver the evil eye. Funny, they are always texting .
Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
pro religion atheist

I had the same thing happen to me and lost them the same way you did at a red light. What spooked me was the following started in a military housing area. It was a civilian car that was doing the following and I had much the same thought. "He is just going to the same area of town". It went on too long so I did some crazy route. I was only dropping off some girl from church. I was leading him away from my house when I lost him. It was a long time ago when I was not so mature(?) Don't know what I would have done if he kept with me.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,764 Posts

drive to the police station and pullover
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rugster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,191 Times in 476 Posts

I generally drive my Dodge Cummins four-by. The rifle in the rack is better than anything posted here as a common sense additive to most situations.

ISS
The Following User Says Thank You to ISS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Prepared

Doesn't matter if you didn't lead them home - if your car is registered in your name at your house address, then he/she already knows where you live.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropilot4fun View Post
Doesn't matter if you didn't lead them home - if your car is registered in your name at your house address, then he/she already knows where you live.
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that vary from state to state? I thought some states you can't get the info, or you have to pay for it?

Also, many a-holes would be willing to mess with your house if you led them straight to it, but it's likely it may not be worth their time to look up where you live and go pay you a visit.

All that said, this car is registered at my parents house address which is 6 hours away. My parents sleep in a room with a window that over looks the driveway and my dogs aren't afraid to bark when someone pulls in. My dad has a .30-30, .30-06, Ruger 10-22, and 2 shotguns (don't remember what they are) at the foot of his bed, all with enough ammo to win a small war.

If someone wants to mess with them on their property over a traffic incident 6 hours away, be my guest, I won't be at the funeral though.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinelover View Post
keep a camera with you. take pictures."TAKE PICTURES". if you have a cell phone you already have a camera well most of them anyway. a lot easier and accurate to "SHOW" the picture to police than to describe or give description. plus it can be evidence if necessary.
I have used this technique MANY times to get people to back off when tailgating. I pull my phone out, hold it up in an obvious way at my side or rear-view mirror, and keep it there until the person backs off. It has worked every single time. The person backs off immediately when they think they are caught on camera. I don't even have video capability on my phone but it looks like a smart phone and it works.
The Following User Says Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

This reminds me: always keep a dry-erase marker in your cupholder. You can use it to write license plates, vehicle make/model, driver description, etc on your window while you are driving. Of course, make sure to do so safely.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,875 Times in 6,589 Posts

I'd pull into a parking lot--if he followed me in and wanted trouble I always carry my Kimber Ultra Carry so he'd have to deal with me and my seven brothers!! Following someone is serious business and should not be taken lightly.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,477 Times in 8,483 Posts

Not sure if anyone already mentioned the obvious -- simply drive to the nearest police/sheriff station parking lot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
Not sure if anyone already mentioned the obvious -- simply drive to the nearest police/sheriff station parking lot.
Many times this would work, but its surprising how many people don't know where our P.D. is here. When I will be staying in a city for more than a day or 2, I get real familiar with Google Maps, always know a couple ways to the P.D.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that vary from state to state? I thought some states you can't get the info, or you have to pay for it?

Also, many a-holes would be willing to mess with your house if you led them straight to it, but it's likely it may not be worth their time to look up where you live and go pay you a visit.

All that said, this car is registered at my parents house address which is 6 hours away. My parents sleep in a room with a window that over looks the driveway and my dogs aren't afraid to bark when someone pulls in. My dad has a .30-30, .30-06, Ruger 10-22, and 2 shotguns (don't remember what they are) at the foot of his bed, all with enough ammo to win a small war.

If someone wants to mess with them on their property over a traffic incident 6 hours away, be my guest, I won't be at the funeral though.
Who cares what guns your father has? The fact that you did something that might bring your folks into harms way and you think its cool should be a wake up call for you. Think about it what you did, and next time perhaps you'll think before you jam on the brakes. Life is like a chess game - think ahead more than the move you are about to make.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeropilot4fun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,414 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:
I don't know if this is the right area, I just gave it my best guess.

I was being tailgated on the way home, about 1/2 car distance between us in a 60mph zone. I was going 65 in the right hand lane, there was no reason this dumb--- needed to be following so close. I flicked my brakes a couple times to flash the lights and there was no response from the other driver. I turned off the cruise control and let my car slow to about 60mph. The guy didn't go around me and I thought he might just hit me, so I sped back up to 65.

At this point I made my biggest mistake. I threw a banana peel left from breakfast out my drivers side window, and it bounced off his windshield. ...
Yea... better way to get his attention is to let off the gas and slow down. Eventually he will switch over to pass you. Probably finger you also but who cares. I never liked brake checking someone since it is rarely effective. But tailgaters usually want to go faster, so slowing down will take away their incentive to stay behind you.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropilot4fun View Post
Who cares what guns your father has? The fact that you did something that might bring your folks into harms way and you think its cool should be a wake up call for you. Think about it what you did, and next time perhaps you'll think before you jam on the brakes. Life is like a chess game - think ahead more than the move you are about to make.
Relax bud. I wasn't trying to brag about the guns, I know there are tons of people out there with a bunch more guns, I was just saying that he can take care of himself. Not that it would come to that anyways.

Put my folks into harms way? If you think someone is going to drive 6 hours to confront my parents about a road incident you need to stop watching those scary movies.

Think it's cool? I've already admitted that throwing the banana was wrong, and not the best course of action. What of that sounds like I thought it was cool? I made this thread to ask for more peoples advice about what to do when being followed, not to "brag" about how cool I am.

And next time perhaps I'll think before i jam on the brakes? Did you even read this thread? I never jammed on the breaks, I turned of cruise control and SLOWLY decellerated, I didn't "jam" the breaks.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Yea... better way to get his attention is to let off the gas and slow down. Eventually he will switch over to pass you. Probably finger you also but who cares. I never liked brake checking someone since it is rarely effective. But tailgaters usually want to go faster, so slowing down will take away their incentive to stay behind you.
I wasn't slowing down by flicking the brakes. I was just pressing them hard enough to flash the tail lights at him, but not to engage the actual brakes.

Guess I didn't make that clear.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Prepared

Quote:

Put my folks into harms way? If you think someone is going to drive 6 hours to confront my parents about a road incident you need to stop watching those scary movies.
With the risk of being 'that guy' (since I'm over twice your age) I'm going to kindly suggest that you think twice about screwing around with unknowns when the data trail leads to someone else besides yourself, let alone a family member or loved one. I've seen stranger things happen and you have to consider that you are leading a trail that will lead somewhere, and in this case, to your parents. 6 hours? 3 hours? 1 hour? Somehow I don't think that even entered your mind when you did what you did, so I'm not buying that line of defense BS.

You are 20 years old. Start acting like an adult. There were men younger than you leading bombing missions over Germany in WWII and storming a godforsaken beach in France. Think about how you might honor them with your behavior. Imagine their critique of your actions and your cavalier attitude towards your family's safety and well being.

Yup. I'm 'that guy'. Dang.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeropilot4fun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Perception is NOT reality

One thing I would add is: Don't let yourself get distracted from the road in front of you.

The only times in the past couple of years that I've had someone following me too close (usually at night, with their bright lights on), not long after they started following me another vehicle was stopped in the road directly where I would have run into it had I not been paying attention to the road ahead. I've had that same seeming slight modification to the classic "swoop and squat" insurance scam happen on my way to work three of four days in a row (on the other day I had taken a different route than normal to run an errand). It stopped after the third time when I took a good hard look at the guy in the front car as I drove around him (immediately after which he started his car back up and drove off).
The Following User Says Thank You to Head4TheHills For This Useful Post: