The Vehicle BoB - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,822 Times in 655 Posts

Advertise Here

Even with the winch, I would add a couple of tow straps or chains.

If you are looking for a name for your bag, I would call it a MAGA bag - My Automotive Gear & Accessory bag.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 PM

As to the issue of loose objects in vehicles, I once had to investigate a fatal vehicle accident involving a young lady sliding off the highway at moderate speed on snow-covered blacktop. She would have been fine had not the portable sewing machine she was transporting in the back seat been catapulted forward, crushing her neck and skull.

Donít forget the loose stuff in the bed of the pickup either. Have seen fatalities caused by a large chunk of unsecured firewood and another caused by loose cement blocks (used for added weight while driving in snow) crashing through back windows and another death resulting from an unsecured High-Lift jack (very nasty through-and-through wound).
Tote boxes with cargo straps and D-rings in the floor are lifesavers.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThunderStryke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Dismember

Thanked 3,289 Times in 897 Posts

I have only water and a weapon.

I'm mostly at home, and the stuff is in a dedicated closet by the front door. It's just too hot here, everything ruins. A big list on the door of the closet to prevent brain freeze.

Trips get their own pack, depending on where I'm going.

Speaking of dumb, there are not 1 but 2 hitches behind the seat of my truck right now-NOT COOL. Talk about getting brained. Going to get them out now, THANK YOU!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,622 Times in 1,005 Posts

I believe most of you stock your truck/SUV to cover many situations. I follow the same thinking. I have a pack in my SUV in the event I must leave the vehicle. If I leave the vehicle, not likely, I can carry most items I need to survive. If I leave the SUV I will not lock it. People wanting items that are inside will just break in anyway. It will take an overwhelming force or event to make me leave my SUV behind.

I like the lists you have shared. Thanks...., BASS

Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 AM

This is probably not most people's situation, but recently I realized that I had to be prepared to turn my BOV (bug-out vehicle with water, sleeping bag, chains, etc.) into a BOBP (bug-out back pack) … I had to go to a meeting in Denver (100 miles away) and the conference hotel booked by national organizer had valet parking--took my vehicle away to an unknown location! So I have reworked my survival gear (usually in hunting camo for elk season) to speedily put water, tennis shoes, rain poncho, food, knife etc) into a small grey pack for purposes of evacuating a multi-story hotel in a fire or (God forbid) hiking 100 miles home without vehicle.
Hmm, maybe I should add a solar charger.

Edit: Hadn't read Bass' post when I started this response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prairie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 04:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,791 Times in 4,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie View Post
This is probably not most people's situation, but recently I realized that I had to be prepared to turn my BOV (bug-out vehicle with water, sleeping bag, chains, etc.) into a BOBP (bug-out back pack) … I had to go to a meeting in Denver (100 miles away) and the conference hotel booked by national organizer had valet parking--took my vehicle away to an unknown location! So I have reworked my survival gear (usually in hunting camo for elk season) to speedily put water, tennis shoes, rain poncho, food, knife etc) into a small grey pack for purposes of evacuating a multi-story hotel in a fire or (God forbid) hiking 100 miles home without vehicle.
Hmm, maybe I should add a solar charger.

Edit: Hadn't read Bass' post when I started this response.
I will soon be in a similar situation x5. Starting the on-boarding process for a job and the company is in VA. They will move here to GA in February, so I have to geo-bachelor it for about 4-5 months...and about 550 miles away. I'm going to probably take my wife's Subaru (better gas mileage than my truck) and will focus mostly on alternate routes (that 95 corridor is a daily SHTF).

It's going to take some serious planning. I will do some backpacking on the AT up around Shenandoah, so I'll be able to go on foot for a while, but wheels are really the only realistic bug-home option. I can and have done 100 miles on the AT without resupply and will be prepared to do that. While winters aren't as severe as the Midwest or out West, my realistic limit of 150 miles (food being the biggest limiting factor) on foot means I need to make good distance by vehicle and make that decision early if something major goes down.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post: