USMC Bolo - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 09-18-2019, 03:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,310 Times in 18,938 Posts
Default USMC Bolo

Advertise Here

Yea, yea. "Hospital Corpsman's knife."

When I bought a collection today I spotted one in its sheath and told the owner of was worth over $100.

He told mqe $20 and I had to say yes.

A loop has been added to the sheath, it's got new scales and rivets (not flush and only 2, so easy to spot), and it has a couple nicks in the blade.

...so I'm really tempted to use it. (I've wanted to, couldn't bring myself to use a nice one.)

But it's NOT "bad" just SLIGHTLY below average.

And it's a Clyde. (Makers mark is gone, and has USMC on the blade. My understanding those were the rarest.)

Talk me in/out of it. (Your choice) ,

For those that use theirs... How do ya like it?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 04:41 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,838 Times in 1,902 Posts

Can you upload a pic of it?
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Thread killer

Thanked 1,613 Times in 761 Posts

Is this the one you are referring to? If so, it's a great user, if you have a need. Absolutely Rock solid!

USMC Bolo https://imgur.com/a/7b7xTA2
The Following User Says Thank You to chops For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,612 Times in 6,923 Posts

Nice pickup!
Old 09-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,778 Times in 4,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Is this the one you are referring to? If so, it's a great user, if you have a need. Absolutely Rock solid!

That's it. It's such a great design. I know the standard Latin-America "bush" styled are the most popular machetes, but the Hospital Corpsman's knife/bolo design is uniquely utilitarian.

Quote:
The knife was designed for use specifically for the field medical situations. The rounded point most likely influenced by the Army Model 1904 Hospital Corps Knife. The long rounded point 2 3/4" in radius is sharpened on both sides and around the point to a false edge on the top. The Army M1904 is a chisel grind being sharpened on one side only. Mainly it is used for clean up duties such as clearing out debris from waterlogged fields, swamps and just large mud holes. Stagnant water breeds mosquitoes, which in turn cause and carry disease. Disease is a bigger killer in war then bullets. This is the main job of the Hospital Corps, prevent spread of disease through proper sanitation. Straddle pits are easily dug with the sharp rounded edge. Field stretchers could be improvised with the use of branches and a poncho or shelter half. This type of use meant the knife needed to be able to cut branches of a decent size, shy of using an axe. This is the reason behind the durable construction of the knife. It is heavy enough to handle the work of an axe and yet light enough to handle the work of a machete. The knife measures 11 3/8” in length and 2 ” in width while the handle is 5 3/8” long, yielding an overall length of 16 3/4".
One interesting note, is that when the Army adopted the 18" (Latin-American styled) machete, the Navy and Marines followed suit and cancelled their open orders for Corpsman's Knives. Ironically, the issued 18" machetes were so much thinner, they couldn't do the heavy beating tasks (even use as a hammer) as the Corpsman's Knife and for a while they reordered more of the bolos.

I don't think Ontario makes them anymore, but they made a 12" "Beavertail" machete which is quite reminiscent of the venerable Corpsman's Bolo Knife.

Great score Nomad. They are meant to be used, clean it up, sharpen it and do some swinging (or digging )!

ROCK6
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,310 Times in 18,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post

That's the one.

I brought it with me today to show a buddy and ended up using it to chop up bushels of pears so they would fit into the grinder.

I'm gonna have to use it. (GREAT tool!)
Will have to dig up a sheath though as I don't want to use the original.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,778 Times in 4,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
That's the one.

I brought it with me today to show a buddy and ended up using it to chop up bushels of pears so they would fit into the grinder.

I'm gonna have to use it. (GREAT tool!)
Will have to dig up a sheath though as I don't want to use the original.
Although expensive, there are replica versions on Amazon. I wonder if you could pick up a USGI plastic machete scabbard and see if it would fit. I bought a couple for the 12" machetes and cut them down to fit the shorter machete better.

ROCK6