Prepping supplies you've decided you don't need - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2019, 04:08 PM
Totus tuus

Advertise Here

Seeing more great ideas here! Keep em coming folks! I haven't had a thread in this section in quite some time, and I post mostly in the non-preparedness forums here. I think this thread will teach many people a lot. Different way of thinking about preps. Carry on!
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Brrrrr!

Tuna fish. I discovered how much I really dislike it. My God it took two years to eat it all so it wouldn tgo to waste. Never again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,150 Times in 1,082 Posts

Prepping supplies you've decided you don't need

ALL those PEOPLE who say...
"If things get bad I am coming to your place."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,019 Times in 938 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazarine33 View Post
Tuna fish. I discovered how much I really dislike it. My God it took two years to eat it all so it wouldn tgo to waste. Never again.
I am not to fond of tuna also ,,but still stock some ,,,lol if nothing else it makes bait for other critters that are fresh and a lot tastier
The Following User Says Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,804 Posts

I could probably get rid of a few dozen cheap knives, flashlights and tools, and never notice they were gone. Same with a few packs and bags of various types and sizes. Most of them are "good enough" and were purchased on sale or used to keep the price down, but in most cases, I have since acquired better gear and don't need to be sitting on so much redundant (often inferior) stuff just for equipping those who are lacking or who are looking to trade.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 11:41 PM

When I still used tuna I learned to cook it as a part of something rather than just eating tuna. One of my favorites was to add it to flour as a type of spiced tuna bisuit. Alternatives can be drying the tuna out to a flake consistency and using it as a sprinkling on other foods. The taste really disipates after it dries out and is used in powder form. Currently I am eating a lot of macarel, and the key on this fish is that you need to leave it out to dry for a day or so or to cook it well, as the stuff fresh out of the can is much harder to eat.

My preps are very situational... it depends where I am and what my situation is where I am.

Living out of a bag is different than living out of a vehcle is different than living out of a property is different from living out of a camp or homestead... appartment different than house etc..

Where possible I don't get rid of stuff but I've had to leave stuff behind .. my situation right now doesn't provide me much more than living out of a bag and some craft. But it doesn't mean possible other caches don't exist at other points. Having multiple locations to go to and caching instead of garbaging stuff is generally a better option. However for people who donate I am sure it is well appreciated, and I am sure if there was a suitable need it would make sense to donate. Since my budget doesn't really allow me to replace stuff, I tend to focus on aquiring stuff that gets damaged or lost that is still valuable but I take the oppourtuntiies with equipment that gets used to the point of failure to learn how to adapt stuff, or learn to repair stuff.

Things that arn't used are things that are likely situation.. tools for example are not too useful until you need them, but once you need them, you need them. Same goes for medical supplies.. ideally you never need to use them, or need to use water purifiers etc... but when you need them you need them.

Again I think caching is good unless you are well off enough that you are buying new gear becuase it is better and your old gear is item #3 or 4 that you don't expect to ever need.
You know I would hope people in taht situation would be organizing a prepper community and donating their extras to the group rather than just throwing the stuff out.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,863 Times in 2,599 Posts

Most of the preps I realized I didn't need were people!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
Only thing I really got rid of that was not upgraded was 2 surplus gas mask. I view the odds low and the amount of money/effort to prepare for the event not worth it.

Also traded/sold some old gear that would be consider the back up of the back up. Most of it was so poor of quality it was not worth the space it took up.
I have masks. Yes they could help with a chemical attack , but that’s not the only reason to have them.

1. They can help with tear gas type attacks.

2. They can be useful if we have a chemical accident or have to bug out through an area that might have one. A refinery had a leak the other day in Pasadena , and it made me glad I have masks. If something like that happened up wind masks could save our family from harmful if not deadly exposure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 02:38 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,112 Times in 19,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
They can be useful if we have a chemical accident or have to bug out through an area that might have one. A refinery had a leak the other day in Pasadena , and it made me glad I have masks. If something like that happened up wind masks could save our family from harmful if not deadly exposure.
We call that the Pasadena Lottery.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:03 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,582 Times in 7,025 Posts

As the primary "prepper" for our BOL family group, I maintain a fairly massive amount of survival food, supplies & gear.

If I accumulate large surplus's of any particular item.
I generally sell some & use the cash to buy other high quality survival supplies gear I am short on.

I also "outfit" deserving youngsters & young short on cash families "gratis" at times out of our surplus gear.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Totus tuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
As the primary "prepper" for our BOL family group, I maintain a fairly massive amount of survival food, supplies & gear.

If I accumulate large surplus's of any particular item.
I generally sell some & use the cash to buy other high quality survival supplies gear I am short on.

I also "outfit" deserving youngsters & young short on cash families "gratis" at times out of our surplus gear.
You sound very well prepared! I like that you "outfit" youngsters and young families sometimes. That's a smart move in my book, and also kind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 08:14 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 647 Posts

It's interesting that different people mentioned gas masks.

Here are three scenarios that aren't a state-sponsored WMD attack.

1) Conventional wisdom is that you should just stay away from the rush at stores during the warning for a Carrington event, or whatever the case might be. But what if you just had to be there for some reason?

In World War Z, the cops are ignoring the crimes at a store. And you can see that in a Hurricane Katrina video, and sometimes in videos of South Africa. But the cops aren't necessarily going to do that. I'm just expecting that they might show up and throw tear gas at it.

If the store looks really dicey, but for some reason you think you've just got to take a poke at it, you could show up with your gas mask in case things start to go that way.

2) What about if I got a call from someone who was pinned down by some antifa unrest? Or some similar, weird group that arises could cause it. Someone could get involved in demonstrating about some issue, but then be unable to move out of there when antifa start harming people, causing a big commotion, and drawing a police response.

Again, conventional wisdom is that the way to protect yourself from that problem is to avoid that entire scene. But just what if, given the times we live in, there was just some circumstance that arose that required me to head towards demonstrations instead? What if it was about saving somebody's life or something? Having the gas mask might make it possible.

3) After a collapse, what if badguys get gear from an overrun police or military unit, or overrun a police headquarters or a military base? All it strictly takes for badguys to get their hands on a tear gas grenade launcher is to overcome one riot cop, or to get in the back of one vehicle that was left open, while the cops who were supposed to be with it were distracted with something else.

Might seem totally unlikely in September 2019, but it's simple enough and natural enough that I think you very possibly could get attacked with tear gas by almost anybody after a collapse. They just have to be somebody who was interested in the thingy that the cop had that shoots.

Also, how about gas masks that are for protecting you from smoke when you're escaping burning buildings. I'm sure the apocalypse will lead to a few fires.

Or what about using gas masks to explore buildings or areas that have a lot of corpses or other smelly stuff in them.

You may only need it once, but there are things that could happen that could make a gas mask the right thing to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,983 Times in 1,076 Posts

From what I understand most gas mask (surplus ones I owned) don't work/seal when you have a beard. So having one is pretty much pointless for me.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,017 Times in 8,012 Posts

I plan to get rid of my canning stuff. Storage is just not possible in the space I have.

I have a Houston board member in mind for it, too.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,474 Times in 1,713 Posts

Like the OP.I've gotten rid of a lot of camping gear,haven't needed it for years and years,and there is only so much space.It was hard to let go of my coleman camp stove and lanterns,but they were a 5th tier back up to a backup.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:17 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,112 Times in 19,183 Posts

It's pretty clear that experienced preppers realize they can accumulate good excess gear that goes beyond mere redundancy and clogs up space.

While donating to charity, selling, and simply trashing have all been mentioned frequently, and are valid options, I've only seen Bunkerbuster and myself discuss more higher order disposition where you target special recipients to get this gear.

I think all long term preppers who realize they accumulate excess gear need to sit down and think how to give the excess away so it benefits those you care about and so you also know where you can recover some of it in extreme loss cases.

You'll have to deal with varied personalities and their own priorities. Sometimes they really want the gear and sometime they wonder why you are foisting it off on them. I deal with a mixed bag of responses. Some will take it if I present the gear in terms they can relate to or appreciate. Common local natural disasters and outdoor sporting can be a way to present the gear so they like it. Some close family will just humor me if I don't try to go fill up closets, because they know it's just my thing. I've used soft extortion on one family member to take a well loaded BOB by saying if they show up after a disaster with their hands out I had better see the pack on their back or they don't get in. Those who just see you as their ace in the hole so they can just ignore being prepared are good targets to emotionally leverage to take a reasonable amount of gear.

By disbursing this excess in a secondary ring around you you are less likely to have the family and friends who are stuck in normalcy bias to end up in your lap when everything craters. You also create a larger sphere to control your redundancy.

You can still sell, give, or trash what doesn't work in this plan, but trying the dispersal treatment first is like getting some free caching out of excess gear.

And don't forget that actual caching is a good idea for the stuff too.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 04:21 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,230 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
From what I understand most gas mask (surplus ones I owned) don't work/seal when you have a beard. So having one is pretty much pointless for me.
It depends on the beard. You can have a lot of facial hair just as long as its not in the actual seal zone, and tightened hard enough it will get a reasonable seal even with hair...just not as comfortably.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,005 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
Prepping supplies you've decided you don't need

ALL those PEOPLE who say...
"If things get bad I am coming to your place."
When they say that to me, I say.... Fatten up first!
Old 09-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Hiker

Don't know about French MRE's, but british aren't bad.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 AM

I bought one of those round hand-cranked washing machines for when the power goes out or the smelly stuff hits the fan. It has a place on the side where you can attach a hose and let the water out. I decided to try it out after moving here, before getting a real washing machine. Don't waste your money, folks. Those things don't hold much and are more work and bother than hand washing clothes in the sink. They're messier, too. And since it's plastic and doesn't weigh that much, it moves around while you crank it. A total fail.

Last edited by PreppingGal; 09-29-2019 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Add info
The Following User Says Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post: