Bar Soap? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-04-2019, 06:38 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,187 Times in 20,028 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shado View Post
Of course you'll make soap IF you have the fat to do it with. But stocking up on 200-300 bars of soap isn't terribly expensive and will last a long, long time.
Back a million years ago when I was a kid, I remember that bar soap would dry out, get cracks in it and sort of half evaporate if it was left on the shelf for a few years. (maybe because it was made from dinosaur fat).

Not sure if the new stuff has that issue anymore or not. The liquid stuff in the gallon jugs seems to endure the passage of time without any ill effects.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,430 Times in 6,986 Posts

For our rural home we just use store bought soap.

This is the basic recipe my wife uses to make bar soap for the BOL.
(we have pigs @ our BOL & render a LOT of lard)
She adds some things she prefers.

https://www.frugalandthriving.com.au...ade-lard-soap/
Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Back a million years ago when I was a kid, I remember that bar soap would dry out, get cracks in it and sort of half evaporate if it was left on the shelf for a few years. (maybe because it was made from dinosaur fat).

Not sure if the new stuff has that issue anymore or not. The liquid stuff in the gallon jugs seems to endure the passage of time without any ill effects.
I'm sure it depends on the soap. The oldest bars of this soap I have are about 10 years old and just like when they were new. It's still the finest - and least toxic - soap I've ever used.
The Following User Says Thank You to shado For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,864 Times in 19,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

Dry out is exactly that. As the water content leaves the bar splits and makes soap harder. It doesn't lather up as fast either. You have to rub it longer to get more suds.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,065 Posts

In my experience soap made from venison fat appear to last quite well, we have some about 9 years old and it looks like the day we made it. Although it does get very soft if it is left wet between uses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 06:17 PM

Even expensive bar soap is cheaper than cheap body wash. Here's a link on an article about this (and there's a lot of articles saying the same thing). Good soap is good for your skin and you can use it as shampoo. Also, if you're married, the wife likes it and it's cheaper than most women's brands of beauty products.

https://lifehacker.com/body-wash-is-...-it-1825919775
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike from Sac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 07:02 PM

I like Dr. Bronner's castile soap, it is healthy and you can use it from head to toe, but I had two issues with it, 1) it really dried out my hair (maybe if I kept my hair short with lots of trims I wouldn't have noticed but my hair is long so I did, conditioner was the same, only thing changed was the soap/shampoo), and 2) whenever I refill my glass soap dispenser near the sink the soap always dries and clogs the pump. Mrs. Meyer's soap does not do that, only the Dr. Bronners. I use the Bronner's in cleaning my house. And for the body, I buy a healthy shea butter soap. It is more expensive but it is a hard soap so it lasts longer and doesn't melt so easily. I had a friend who told me about the shea butter soap, she used it from head to toe... I've not tried it yet to see if it is gentle on my hair, but I love it on my body. I have over 20 bars but need more, was reading yesterday about the experiences of a man who lived through the war in Bosnia in the 1990s, he was talking about how important hygiene was in that grid-down situation.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this post here or on the homesteading section.

As par of my preps I do stockpile bar soap....mostly of the store bought kind (zest, coast, irish spring etc).

Since I have limited space and I know the brands above are pretty low quality and melt relatively quickly in comparison to higher quality bar soap.

I know Castille soap may be an option.....so what I am looking for is a reasonably priced high quality soap that will last 2-3 times that of the cheaper stuff.

What are the recommendations? I normally stock around 20 bars.

HK

Take the soap out of it's packaging and store it "naked". That will let it dry out and it will last a lot longer.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,864 Times in 19,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop401k View Post
Take the soap out of it's packaging and store it "naked". That will let it dry out and it will last a lot longer.
While soap bars that have dried do indeed resist the shower melt effect better they are also harder to lather up and you have to rub them longer.

I personally think it works out about the same for most soaps.

But I will admit that it works well on softer bars like Ivory. Ivory just melts away like crazy unless you dry the bars out.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Prepared

Kirk's, Ivory, Dr Bronner's, Dial. All good. Wrap tight in plastic wrap and store in a rodent proof box, watertight.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Yankee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Master Mason

Thanked 5,620 Times in 1,656 Posts

I load up on Irish Spring and Yellow Dial.

I smell purity.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,023 Posts

The liquid Castile soap or shampoo, along with some baking soda does a decent job of removing gunk from sink, tub, etc. as a scrub. I try to keep some of that around since it is multiuse. I too like Dr Bronners bar soap. Also like Dr Woods bar soap. They both seem to last a long time.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Yankee View Post
Kirk's, Ivory, Dr Bronner's, Dial. All good. Wrap tight in plastic wrap and store in a rodent proof box, watertight.
I've never done a comparison on how long it lasts, but I know ivory floats because there is air "foam" in the bar, that's why it floats, and hence not solid soap (20%? air). Is it a measurable factor in cost/use? I don't know, but thought it worth mentioning.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,187 Times in 20,028 Posts

Or some Ukrainian shaving soap.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,088 Posts

I stock bars and have them stashed everywhere. We are getting away from plastic containers so these work great for us, they also donít take up that much room.

Ivory, Dial, scented ones, charcoal based ones. When I see a sale I stock up. Itís going to be a big barter item.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Target Shooter

One of the first things I did when I retired 10 years ago was to buy 4 boxes of Zest soap. My thought was, this will never go bad, the dollar will continue to go down so it will never be as cheap. So far those things have proven true and I have not run out yet. Also Sam's quit carrying it. The other thing I purchased was aluminum foil. Still haven't run out of that either.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:06 PM

Dr Bronners
Old 09-17-2019, 12:36 AM

We also stock bar soap. We have a couple 20 liter of so tote with good, tight lids we use to store it in.

We buy a variety of brands, as it is on sale, mostly at Costco. Then rotate out of the totes.

I also keep a "soapy" in the shower. A large, good quality wash cloth folded over and sewn on two sides. The remaining open side has a draw string. This is for all the sliver end of bars to use to the maximum.

No one in this household has any sensitivities to any brands, so nothing special is required.