Revised FCC Form 605 Will Ask Applicants ¯the Felony Question¯ - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,270 Times in 3,819 Posts
Default Revised FCC Form 605 Will Ask Applicants “the Felony Question”

Advertise Here

From: http://www.arrl.org/news/view/revise...elony-question

07/19/2017

A revised FCC Form 605 — Quick-Form Application for Authorization in the Ship, Aircraft, Amateur, Restricted and Commercial Operator, and General Mobile Radio Services — going into effect in September will ask all applicants to indicate if they have been convicted of or plead guilty to a felony...

“Applicants answering YES must provide an explanation regarding the conviction. This item enables the FCC to determine whether an applicant is eligible under sections 310(d) and 308(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, to hold or have ownership interest in a station license.”

73's...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,850 Times in 3,728 Posts

What are they afraid a felon will do over the radio?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,270 Times in 3,819 Posts

^^^^I have no idea.....going back to some obscure law from '34, character i assume...

My question is how do they know if someone says no?

Do they do background criminal checks on applicants?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,921 Times in 7,971 Posts

Same year they enacted the National Firearms Act. Control of the airwaves is a direct foot on the neck of free speech if the powers that be can jury-rig a way to mute ownership of means of communication.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,037 Times in 5,869 Posts

Soon having a bible and copy of the constitution will make one a felon if the establishment wins and overturns our electoral process and our republic as well.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Hiker

While including the question on the 605 is new the ability of the FCC to set aside a license for a felony conviction is not new. They have always been able to do this and have actually done it for many years. Since the early 1990’s several hams have had licenses denied or suspended for past felony convictions, each has been assessed on an individual basis. Being a felon does not automatically mean you cannot have a license, but it does mean they want you to explain what happened and they want to assess whether your demonstrated past actions might be repeated using radio.

Also, a REALLY important take away here, the 605 form is used for several different radio services, not just ham radio. With some of those other services it kind of does matter if you have had a felony conviction. Part 80 Ship Radio Service, Part 87 Aircraft Radio Service, Part 97 Amateur Radio Service, Part 13 Commercial and Restricted Radio Service, and Part 95 General Mobile Radio Service all use the same form. I can understand them asking about felony convictions for the Ship, Aircraft, and Commercial services.

I am not saying I necessarily agree with it as applied to ham radio, but as long as so many services over such a wide range of activities use the same form I can understand it being added to the form.

T!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,026 Posts

to obtain the privilege of talking to random strangers about insignificant topics, you must be of good character

you might be a weenie wagging kiddie diddler, but if you have not been caught and convicted you are OK

or you might have been caught growing the one wrong weed among the 30 million weeds you could have grown. a guy like that lacks the moral character to tell a random stranger on the other side of the world "The rig here is a XXXXXXXXXXXX running through a random wire sloper"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
Do they do background criminal checks on applicants?
Not according to the ARRL

Quote:
Once the Form 605 update has been implemented, assuming all other information is correct, negative felony question responses will result in a license grant, the FCC said. A YES will place the application in the “pending file for review” category. Applicants answering YES would have to, within 14 days, provide the FCC with a statement explaining the circumstances, and a statement “giving the reasons why the applicant believes that grant of the application would be in the public interest, notwithstanding the actual or alleged misconduct,” the revised Form 605 instructions state. The FCC said an applicant’s answer to the felony question and explanation will be public via ULS, unless a separate request is made to the FCC that the applicant’s explanation be kept confidential. The FCC will review applications on which the felony question has been answered in the affirmative and decide whether to grant them or designate them for hearing.
So if anyone had been convicted of or pled guilty to a felony just answer 'no' anyway, and your license will be granted/renewed without further review.

Question to the hams here however, if you knew someone had lied about that question on the form would you notify the FCC about it?
Old 04-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,023 Posts

Yea, "does not automatically exclude you" uh huh. I believe that. At least with firearms a judge can restore your tights. The governor restores the right to vote. Neither paper says anything about other rights. This is VA at least.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjet View Post
So if anyone had been convicted of or pled guilty to a felony just answer 'no' anyway, and your license will be granted/renewed without further review.

Question to the hams here however, if you knew someone had lied about that question on the form would you notify the FCC about it?
Having a felony is not an automatic disqualifier. But lying on the forms probably is.

This felony issue has been a part of ham radio for decades. In the past it has been used to "get back" at people. I mean ham A (or even non-ham A) knows ham B has a felony conviction. A drops a dime on B, informing the FCC B has a felony conviction. B is now under "review". I know people this has happened to.

In the past, when this question was not on the forms, B was not held automatically accountable, and after a review was either allowed to keep his ticket or not. Both have happened. But in todays environment, in such a case of intentional misinformation, putting the wrong info on the form on purpose, I bet B would be less likely to keep his ticket.

T!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 06:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,027 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
Yea, "does not automatically exclude you" uh huh. I believe that. At least with firearms a judge can restore your tights. The governor restores the right to vote. Neither paper says anything about other rights. This is VA at least.
I've known of people with felony records getting their ham license. It takes a couple months and they won't give them to violent offenders. most I'm aware of were convicted of minor drug offenses years before applying for license and can show a clean record for a long period prior to application.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjet View Post
Not according to the ARRL

For the sole sake of said person having lied on the form? No, they probably just wanted to avoid a lot of headache and don't have any bad intentions. Whether they were pedaling pot or had a past life of robbing banks. Live and let live. If I was familiar with the person having a history of dangerous behavior or was currently exhibiting dangerous behaviors that might pose a threat to someone, I'd report it in. Especially if they were predatory and were trying to use radio as a way to gain trust and lure potential victims to meeting somewhere that they would be more vulnerable. The key factor to answering your question is if I think that person is a risk to the safety of others by being on the radio. 99% of the time, that answer will be no.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wire Fox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 03:52 PM

Drink another beer...it'll be alright!
The Following User Says Thank You to bountyhunter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,019 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
Soon having a bible and copy of the constitution will make one a felon if the establishment wins and overturns our electoral process and our republic as well.
Or vice versa it Trump/Pence have their way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstToken View Post
Having a felony is not an automatic disqualifier. But lying on the forms probably is.

This felony issue has been a part of ham radio for decades. In the past it has been used to "get back" at people. I mean ham A (or even non-ham A) knows ham B has a felony conviction. A drops a dime on B, informing the FCC B has a felony conviction. B is now under "review". I know people this has happened to.

In the past, when this question was not on the forms, B was not held automatically accountable, and after a review was either allowed to keep his ticket or not. Both have happened. But in todays environment, in such a case of intentional misinformation, putting the wrong info on the form on purpose, I bet B would be less likely to keep his ticket.

T!
Is there a way for ham A to report B anonymously like a crime tip email address at the FCC? http://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/...dio-complaints requires the complainants name and phone.

Asking for a friend.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:08 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,533 Times in 8,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmgt View Post
What are they afraid a felon will do over the radio?

Run for public office like CONgress.