Glad I have water storage - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,976 Times in 7,994 Posts
Default Glad I have water storage

Advertise Here

I live near a large bayou.

I also have water storage in the house, 2 55 gallon drums + several cases of bottled water. I have seen the bayou as my backup.

I recently rescued 3 cats that were living outside during the worst of summer, a very dry one for us. I can only assume they were drinking out of the bayou until they met me and I started giving them tap water.

Took one to the vet, she had a bowel movement on the table today and the vet said she thinks (from smell and appearance) it is giardia.

Which means the bayou is likely contaminated. I had never planned to drink straight from the bayou but I thought a little bleach and my Sawyer could get me something usable. But Giardia. No thanks.

Vet took a sample, we will see. But my secondary water source is so contaminated it is about useless.

Maybe I need to get another drum.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,675 Times in 10,388 Posts

Do you have a large scale filtration system? There are a few in the market that are gravity fed. I got one as part of my 3rd backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,595 Times in 8,738 Posts

Good to find out now. Are you set up to catch any rain - new clean tarp and a way to suspend it, tubing to syphon it to a storage container.

Got a container(s) and wheels to haul raw water back from the swamp, you could use the raw or lightly treated water for like toilet flushing. A small pump would make them easier to fill.

Solar shower bag works nice for dishes, a hook into a rafter above the tub or sink. I hoist mine up with a pulley and have a screw placed to tie off the line.

I think a 3rd barrel is a good ideal for drinking water - 5 gallons a day for your household. Maybe check craiglist etc for one of those ibc 275 totes cleaned that didn't have anything bad in it - I just looked for them local to me about the price of a new 55 gallon water barrel.

A new 550 gallon plastic water tank local made is about $410.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,801 Times in 2,113 Posts

My brothers wife got giardia. No idea where from, nobody else in family got it, even the dog was checked.
Treating water with giardia is pretty easy, be careful not to recontaminate treated water. Boiling, bleach, and filtering all work. You may be thinking of cryptosporidia. It has similar symptoms but because it is a spore bleach does not work. Boiling and fi!tering work though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 03:05 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,075 Times in 19,174 Posts

Maybe a better idea would be to rig a siphon hose up to a candle filter.

You fill a 5 gallon bucket with raw water. Then you hang the candle filter into the raw water and siphon the raw water through the candle up through the hose into another 5 gallon bucket beside it and pour the cleaned water into your water barrel as it begins to be used up.

Another thing to look into making or buying is a rain saucer. It's just a wide shallow funnel you put into a barrel to collect rain water.

Or buy a bucket or urn filter and rest it on a barrel with the spigot over the drum hole on top. Every few hours you add more raw water to the top of the urn.

Face it. Making room for 55 gallon barrels in a home is always a hog for space. Better to worry about ideas for filling them up again faster with clean water than try to buy and find a home for more barrels.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Survivor

Well they don't have parasites so I think I will be OK.

If it gets that bad that... eight case of water and two 55 gallon barrels run out then I will probably have "the neighbor" kicking in my door for supplies anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,075 Times in 19,174 Posts

Consider this plan, PK.

Call Just Water at 214-675-7246 and spend about the same as you would for an barrel on a bucket spigot, gaskets, filter sock, and several dome filters.

Then go pick up 3 new food safe 5gal buckets with lids at the home center. Modify 2 of the buckets (drill the holes) for the bucket system. Stack all three buckets and fill with the Just Water gear.

Now you have a system that will refill the barrels as you use them, plus have a fetch bucket to grab water from the bayou.

The neighbors might see you lug a couple buckets from the bayou in a crisis, but you can say you just boil the water up for use and filter it through a sock. So you don't look like you have major water supplies. Instead you are showing them by example on how to get by. What they don't see in your home is you replacing the roughly 8 to 10 gallons of water from your reserves that you used the day before. 10 gallons a day for two people is all you need to drink, cook, clean your teeth, and wash your kitchen equipment on a daily basis for you two and your pets. Plus some extra for a few sponge baths and hand washing undies and light cotton house clothes a couple times a week.

The money you would spend on a barrel ensures you can walk to the bayou daily for several years in a row and lug two buckets back daily and make them safe. And it fits on a garage shelf instead of taking up the space of a barrel.

Don't forget to rotate those cases of water bottles often, PK. I know you've seen me explain here they don't last a long time. The dollar stores here, especially 99 Cents, are always running bargain deals on the stuff. Using and replacing a few cases several times a year here is cheap and necessary for someone who gets out in the Texas heat like you do. The day the balloon goes up you want those cases to be almost brand new.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Survivor

I run a FIFO on the water bottles. I am finding Ozarkas are more robust than the Walmart Great Value water. The nice thing about both I can get them delivered.

I can't imagine bringing home cases of water on the bus.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,273 Times in 692 Posts

Giardia is a major reason why you filter surface water in the first place. Most any backpacking filter like a sawyer should filter that out. Or theres always boiling. Your source is not lost it just needs normal treatment really.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post: