Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 33,527 Times in 8,671 Posts

Advertise Here

An "agency" located in California had a very old, isolated, extremely remote facility, about the size of a 2 car garage, which was constructed before the cold war days. The agency recently ordered the facility to be destroyed. Among other things, it had a stock of Geiger Counters and Gas Masks. This Box was the only one that was unopened, new and unused. According to the date, it's been sealed and sitting on the shelf since 1960.The box lid was taped closed. Inside the box was an envelope with complete instruction. This set was given to me by the person in charge of that agency.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	290980   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	290982   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	290984  
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,190 Times in 619 Posts
Default Buying old Civil Defense Geiger counters?

Edit: I have the set Paul shows above me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2019, 04:36 PM
American by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I was referring to the ADM309.
Perhaps I should have clarified my statement.

I realize you were talking about a different model, the ADM309, which I'm not familiar with (I'm no expert, as I stated). However, since the V-715 & 717 have that circuit test feature I was just suggesting that it's possible that other models with a test feature may have a similar purpose to those two models, in case that information could be of use to you. If I misunderstood what you were saying or if that information is not of any use, I apologize for muddying the waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
An "agency" located in California had a very old, isolated, extremely remote facility, about the size of a 2 car garage, which was constructed before the cold war days. The agency recently ordered the facility to be destroyed. Among other things, it had a stock of Geiger Counters and Gas Masks. This Box was the only one that was unopened, new and unused. According to the date, it's been sealed and sitting on the shelf since 1960.The box lid was taped closed. Inside the box was an envelope with complete instruction. This set was given to me by the person in charge of that agency.
That's a neat old kit. Rare to see one these days which is still sealed since it was made over 50 years ago.

I got my hands on one of those V-777 kits around 18 years ago, opened, but still in new condition. Around the same time I found a guy who bid on a bunch of V-715 units in a govt auction. He thought he was bidding on 100 individual V-715 detectors that he wanted to resell, but it turns out it was for 100 pallets of V-715s, each pallet containing 10 or 12 cases of 10 detectors. It may have been 1000 pallets, I don't remember anymore, but it was a LOT. He won the bids so he was legally obligated to take them. Luckily he had the money, it was just for MUCH more volume that he'd anticipated.

He had to rent a warehouse to store so many pallets of inventory, which he had to have shipped to him via freight service, requiring several tractor trailer loads. He was desperate to unload them as quickly as possible so he sold me a pallet of them at his cost, and most of that cost were the freight charges he incurred in receiving them. The only stipulation to get that price was that I didn't resell them on eBay, which would compete with him directly.

After 9/11/01, the anthrax scare and fears dirty bombs, people were gouging the market and V-715s were going for as much as $100-150 each, even for old beat-up units. I didn't want to price-gouge so I sold them with just a small markup, somewhere under $50, I don't remember exactly.

I was very up front with people, informing them that these are surplus units which only measure high levels of gamma radiation, and most likely require re-calibration (and I gave them a link for the place that does recalibration). Nevertheless, at that price my entire pallet sold out on the first day of the gun show I took them to, so I ended up buying another half dozen pallets from my source.

At first they continued to sell fast, then all of a sudden sales stopped overnight. The scare ended. Or the market was saturated, I don't know. Luckily I'd sold most of mine by then and only had a half pallet remaining. Since then I've given away several cases worth to close friends but I think I still have two cases of them collecting dust out in my garage somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to MBI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,002 Times in 492 Posts

Looks like I had a typo, meant to say ADM300.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Emergency Planner

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,611 Posts

I have a set as well. The problem with the 717, or 720 (if you can find one), isn't that the circuits go bad or even that they only measure high levels of radiation. The problem with them is that they're equipped with ion chambers. That means they have a gas-filled canister in them which is prone to corroding and leaking out. Once that happens, the meter is shot. Worse, you often don't find out the chamber has leaked out until you either send it in for calibration or... need to use it. They make great decorations or conversation pieces, and yes, ion chambers do provide the most accurate representation of dose rate... but given the problems with them leaking and turning useless. I wouldn't trust one. There are so many other, better devices out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 AM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,478 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar1 View Post
you might try looking at this site...
http://www.ki4u.com/index.html

I sent my survey meter there for calibration.
they also service meters and sell them.
the old cd units are robust, but should be checked out and upgraded with some new parts where required

I have several of the "60's vintage" yellow CD radiation detectors. I recommend purchasing from a reputable supplier like Ki4u.

Ki4u is excellent for sending these in to occasionally and getting them checked-out and/or repaired if necessary.

I know there are many here on SB who are suspicious or these "older" detectors, and believe the modern ones are best. And I agree that may be true in some respects.

However, the old yellow CD detectors are built like the proverbial tank. I trust them far more to last, than the Chinese-manufactured ones prevalent today. With their EMP-vulnerable microprocessors.

Radiation detection technologies and principles are fairly simple. The same in the 1950's as it is today.

Would you throw away a 1950's fever thermometer, in favor of a "modern" one? No---because they both work the same.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:14 PM

I'll clarify... I dont need a working one. Just one that would look nice on the shelf. But if I have to pay the same price as a working one, and am gambling on whether or not it works... I'm not interested. I'd happily buy a cheap nonfunctional unit. But I havent seen any. I'll buy a working one for higher price if I can be sure it really works.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 AM
I give up

Thanked 18,182 Times in 4,752 Posts

I have the Civil Defense stuff. Works perfectly. The old Müller tube design of the Gieger counter is good. It's sensitive enough to report just one ionizing event. Although it does not differentiate between types of radiation. A Müller tube is not useful for areas of very high radiation, and that's why the survey meter is helpful. If it's in good functional shape, they can be trusted and useful.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,190 Times in 619 Posts
Default Buying old Civil Defense Geiger counters?

I have one. DM If you are wanting it
The CDV 77 that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk