Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,948 Times in 7,977 Posts
Default Food poisoning

Advertise Here

Not my cooking! He ate a bad hot dog when we were out. Got sick within an hour.

Has: fever, nausea, vomiting, chills. I put him to bed, gave him a blanket (it is over 100 out), and a bucket. He asks for drinks now and then which I provide.

I realized I had not really prepped for this, so I made a grocery delivery order, chicken soup (2 kinds), crackers, etc. Powerades because I like the flavor better.

Any other tips? He is pretty miserable.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 08:02 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,188 Times in 20,028 Posts

I carry sulfamethoxazole tripmethoprin pills for bad food and water when travelling.

Prescription in the US, over the counter outside the US in most countries.

it should kill off the bacteria pretty quickly.

Not much else you can do except try to replenish fluids and electrolytes (I would just take a multi mineral pill, plus a potassium supplement) and stay near the bathroom.

Definitely a miserable experience.

A hot bath might help with the chills, if he has the strength to manage it.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Survivor

This was Richey road, not Matamoros!

I think it is staph, he will be Ok in a few days but he is already in limited shape so I worry more.

He used to eat at this restaurant in San Francisco, when he worked there. "Anna's Kitchen". It served teriyaki in the Tenderloin district near his job. He was always getting sick from eating there but he loved it so much. He used to get really sick from that.

This isn't as bad but I do want to baby him. He has gingerale, lemonade (he asked for it), several different kinds of Powerade, etc. He is only up to drinks right now.

It has been my experience with migraines & co. to wait until I have an active appetite before I try to eat. I think many make the mistake of trying to eat too soon and set themselves back. If you wait until you're looking at the cat, then you will be fine. So for now I have him on drinks only.

But I am getting plenty of bland stuff for when he does feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 09:07 PM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 2,550 Times in 972 Posts

Back in the late '90s, when I lived in Arlington TX for about a year, we went out to eat one night at a Mexican restaurant and I got a horrible case of food poisoning. I literally thought I was going to die, I was so sick.

I remained sick well into the next day, and only started feeling better when my girlfriend at the time brought me some Mt. Dew to drink. Ever since then, I've always wondered if the high acidity of the Mt. Dew helped to kill off the bacteria that caused the food poisoning.

Probably not, but that has always stuck with me...
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:41 PM

Apple juice has a lot of natural sugars that help ease the stomach. Also it tastes the same coming up as it does going down. I always drink it when I fly. Cream of wheat is also an easy to digest food when you're feeling pukey. Easy to make, stores well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhaige9 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Hunter/Survivor

I had a similiar dose after eating a sausage sandwich in Bolivia 30 yrs ago. it needs to run its course of 24 hours, so don't plug him up. after fever and chills, start with broth/consome and crackers and hydrate like a Mutha....if not better in 72 yrs. see a Doc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,523 Times in 2,069 Posts

Emetrol can work like magic, but be careful with all your husband's conditions and meducation
Has been a while for me, but some bad meat laid me out for 24 hours
Brutal
Always kept it around when the kids were growing up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Survivor

Well, last night he DEMANDED I give him some pineapple. He likes the little cups (I need to get more for LTS) in the fridge.

I brought him one, thought it was a horrible idea. He slurped it up and has been doing better ever since. He just had some pineapple juice from a can too. Says he is about halfway there, paid the gas bill, talking about doing the accounting report in a couple of hours.

So I guess I need a lot more pineapple. He loves the stuff. These are the little plastic cups. Who'd'a thunk?

Very glad he is better and no diarrhea. It would have been horrible with his mobility issues because, even on a good day, takes some time to get in wheelchair and to bathroom. Thank God did not have that drama today.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,293 Times in 7,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Not my cooking! He ate a bad hot dog when we were out. Got sick within an hour.

Has: fever, nausea, vomiting, chills. I put him to bed, gave him a blanket (it is over 100 out), and a bucket. He asks for drinks now and then which I provide.

I realized I had not really prepped for this, so I made a grocery delivery order, chicken soup (2 kinds), crackers, etc. Powerades because I like the flavor better.

Any other tips? He is pretty miserable.
Remember the best thing is to let him get as much out as possible before feeding him. If he wants to eat and feels like he can without throwing it up, that is a good sign.

My guess is. It was something he put on the hot dog not the hot dog itself that made him sick. That is not 100%.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Survivor

I gave him a naked dog. He literally ate nothing the day before so the hot dog has to be it. It could have come that way from the processing plant. We just don't know.

It will be a long time before he eats another. I am just glad he only had the symptoms he did.

If it had been me sick I would have gotten some ginger root. But he didn't want that. Based on timeline and symptoms I am guessing it was staph which is just disgusting. But he is resting now.

And now I have chicken soup, crackers, etc. all the stuff I should have had.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:54 AM
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Just want to say Powerade is high in sugar, which can worsen diarrhea. I'd go with Pedialye, or generic versions of it from dollar stores. It's formulated for diarrhea. It does have some sugar, to help the sodium get absorbed, but not a lot like Powerade, which is more for energy during sports.
The Following User Says Thank You to MooseMax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 04:34 AM
Survivor

He didn't drink it, he just wanted pineapple juice. And he didn't have the runs thank God.

There is a thing called "functional" incontinence, where a severely disabled person might not always make it to the toilet. Not saying he has it but if he did the runs would be ghastly for both of us.

He is totally fine now.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 AM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaige9 View Post
Apple juice has a lot of natural sugars that help ease the stomach. Also it tastes the same coming up as it does going down.
Not that's funny right there. I will definitely remember. Had salmonella one time from chicken. Was hoping for death. Probably should have went to ER but toughed it out. 3 days everything I tried to eat or drink was back up within 10 minutes. Bad stuff.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 AM
Survivor

I had salmonella back in 2004, it manifested the day we bought the house. Bad scrambled eggs at IHOP.

I was sick for weeks. I was pretty much on my own for recovery, he could do very little for me aside from bring me water.

I had "both ends" symptoms so I didn't feel like I could go to the hospital, I would have wrecked the transport vehicle. I got over it OK but it was a pretty rough road and I couldn't eat dairy for years afterward.

It delayed our move into the new house. Just not a good time at all.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,128 Posts

i didnt eat a bad dog, but i had a stomach virus last week. the runs and fever for 3 days...maybe not the hot dog at all...
The Following User Says Thank You to francessanne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Survivor

Well, he was better in a day and never had the runs so inclined to call food poisoning. It doesn't really matter what bug made him sick, one did.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,333 Times in 9,113 Posts

Sorry to hear that it happened, good to hear he is doing better. My personal belief is, have a beer and if it doesn't help, have another.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Survivor

He's a vodka man. I knew he was sick when he went a whole day without drinking.

I need to cook and freeze some rice, that is nice and easy to thaw when someone is queasy (happens a lot with my medication).
Old 09-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 1,896 Times in 927 Posts

There is a trick to eating stop-n-go hot dogs. Take a bite, then touch the tip of your tongue to the wiener. If its tangy, don't swallow. I remember well those knife pains from bad dogs.
It should be better by tomorrow night. Experience